Menu

s/o classical f@rting

Forgive me friends, I must be channeling my inner ten-year-old this morning. But the thread on "the other f-word" has had me thinking about the appearance of this ancient English word, and the occurrence of the act, in literature and history.

I already linked to the obvious "Sumer is icumen in." And then I got to thinking about St. Augustine's City of God, and his musings on voluntary biological functions: "Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."

Also I vaguely recall something about Pythagoras nixing beans. Anyone?

Edited by Sharon in Austin
incompetant speling

Forgive me friends, I must be channeling my inner ten-year-old this morning. But the thread on "the other f-word" has had me thinking about the appearance of this ancient English word, and the occurrence of the act, in literature and history.

I already linked to the obvious "Sumer is icumen in." And then I got to thinking about St. Augustine's City of God, and his musings on voluntary biological functions: "Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."

LOLOLOL :lol::lol:

Your title has me :lol:, and :smilielol5: I'm picturing a bunch of homeschooled kids learning classical, proper, farting techniques!

"Children, today we will learn the art of the well-trained fart." :lol:

And Katy, your soldiers doing the fart walk also have me :smilielol5:

:lol: I am picturing armored soldiers doing the fart walk. As I age, I am starting to experience the accidental expulsion of air at inappropriate times. It's quite humbling...

:lol::lol::lol:

Yes, sadly, this played a large part in my decision to have no more babies, and to go gluten-free. Life decisions can be so unfair *sigh*

I need to know what page that quote is on! So funny!