Menu

Book suggestions and personal experiences of those finding God again

I suppose I should just begin saying, I never lost God. I just temporarily put him on the back burner as I sorted things out in my life. I know, it sounds a bit backwards, push God away while dealing with things, but it was what worked for me at that moment.

I just have a lot of trouble with the basic stuff: Why do children starve if their is a God? Why are good people victims of violent crimes? I could go on, and on.

I've decided instead of pushing God away while searching for these answers, I'll embrace him and maybe get a deeper understanding.

Can someone please direct me to some books about finding faith in God again. Teen books would be okay, but a lot of those are sexuality/substance abuse advice and such. Things I outgrew years ago and don't need to go over again. (Not the actual act, just the curiosity).

Personal experience stories would also be greatly appreciated.

Stephanie,

You might really enjoy books by John Piper and Philip Yancy. Both are deep thinkers that get right to the meat.

I would also highly recommend Bible studies -- much different than reading non-fiction b/c it requires more personal involvement. The studies that have changed me most have been Experiencing God, by Henry Blackaby, and Precepts studies, by Kay Arthur.

HTH,

Lisa

Edited by FloridaLisa

Mere Christianity is always a good 'back to basics' book for me. I'll have to look at my shelf and get back to you with more ideas.

ETA: Experiencing God has been one of my #1 all time most impacting studies ever. It really helped me get a perspective on who and what I am as a Christian and how to live my life knowing that.

Hi, tigergrowl1093. I was an atheist for several years in my late teens/early 20's. When I was 23, I became a confirmed Lutheran-Missouri Synod. I'm still Lutheran (11 years later) - lol.

Anyway, (and I'm no expert) some good reading would be the New Testament books - Matthew, Luke and John - there's a lot of Jesus talking to people about life in those 3 books. You could even get yourself a study Bible.

Also, there's Joyce Meyer, which I kinda always thought of as religious bubble gum, but Hearing the Voice of God has some important stuff that really needs to be said. She has some other books that people rave about, but I haven't had a chance to read yet.

As far as questions about life - yeah, you and me both - lol! You could try to talk to a good pastor or a priest. They usually have explanations for things like that.

Good luck!

More than a Carpenter.

I started to believe there were many paths to God, that all you had to do was be good and try your hardest. I became leukwarm. My grandma, in concern for my soul, sent me that little book and it brought me back around. From there I read 'Mere Christianity' and then I joined a church and suddenly I'd moved from the way side.

:grouphug:

Thank you everyone for the book suggestions!

More than a Carpenter.

I started to believe there were many paths to God, that all you had to do was be good and try your hardest. I became leukwarm. My grandma, in concern for my soul, sent me that little book and it brought me back around. From there I read 'Mere Christianity' and then I joined a church and suddenly I'd moved from the way side.

I was part of a church since I was 5 and baptized Christian in a non-denominational church when I was 9. There were many gossips, liars, users, and cheats at that church. It helped me along my path of losing God.

It'll be a looooooong time before I go back to a church, but hopefully I can find one that I like. I understand that all churches have people like that, but our Pastor and his wife were even apart of it.

I've decided instead of pushing God away while searching for these answers, I'll embrace him and maybe get a deeper understanding.

Thank you for that!

We work with precious souls every day, hurt, broken, lives just a train wreck.....nope, not the homeless (well, some are, but some are working and have nice homes), but people.

When they will draw a bit closer to God, I have seen the inner miracles take place. Pushing Him away causes more conflict in my experience with a short time in His service.

If you just want an ear...pm me anytime.

I am a woman who church didn't want and I didn't want church! Jesus Christ was my favorite cuss word, yet on 20 July 1988, I went to my knees in complete surrender. Admitted I was a sinner, lost in my ways, accepted the forgiveness of Christ thru his death and resurrection, and repented (turned from my ways and my will to God ways and plan for others).

Wild time, not all up and "happy"...oh boy of boy, not all happy! I have screamed at God, told Him to just leave me alone! But, I have hope, and I would love to explain that hope.

I recommend you read your Bible, 1 John. What a wonderful reminder of how He loves us!

I also love John Piper. He has a gentle yet direct way of speaking the truth. Almost all of his sermons and books are available for free download. His website is desiringgod.(com? net? one of those). You might look specifically for the title When I Don't Desire God.

You may also like to read a little book by Susan Schaffer Macaulay titled How to Be Your Own Selfish Pig. You will find that it is okay to ask questions about your faith. The truth can withstand the scrutiny!

In the past few years I have also been disappointed and discouraged by things I've seen other Christians do to one another, especially those in positions of authority. It can be a crushing disappointment, can't it? God has been so kind to draw me back to Himself. He seems to be doing the same with you!

This summer I read AW Tozer's Knowledge of the Holy. It is one to be read s-l-o-w-l-y! It made me realize that God is MUCH bigger than I was acknowledging Him to be.

I am excited for you, may you find much profit in your pursuit!

Edited by AuntieM

I was part of a church since I was 5 and baptized Christian in a non-denominational church when I was 9. There were many gossips, liars, users, and cheats at that church. It helped me along my path of losing God.

It'll be a looooooong time before I go back to a church, but hopefully I can find one that I like. I understand that all churches have people like that, but our Pastor and his wife were even apart of it.

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

The Best of Catharine Marshall by Catharine Marshall

I felt the exact.same.way. I hadn't been a part of a church for ages, I dabbled here and there and was disgusted by what I saw. That book, though, gave me a lot to think about. There was a quote, "Church is not a show case for saints, it's a hospital for sinners," and that meant a lot to me. I thought, maybe I was looking at this all wrong. Maybe, all these obnoxious hypocrites needed to be in church with a congregation, so that they could have people helping them struggling with those issues.

I found that my faith had been non-existant. I didn't really believe that Christ was the only way to Heaven, therefore I did not really believe in Christ. From there I decided to read the gospels, in order to find out what Christ wanted me to do. I actually listed every thing that smelled like an admonishment or rule. I found that Christ wanted us to read the Old Testament, that he said they were not stories or parables (another misconception I had labored under). Once I started reading my Bible and praying, which was just inevitable after all I had learned, I started understanding why I needed to go to church. Then, God led me to a church... a Baptist church no less! I've been nondenominational for nearly all my life.

Now, I go to church with people that struggle, and I struggle. I smoke and I even cuss :( Thank God my fellow congregants love me anyway. I know true Christians that have drinking problems, I know God fearing Christians that struggle with gossip. I love them anyway. Because there is only one person that managed to NOT to anything wrong, only one person that managed to make it through life without missing the mark. All my life I wanted a church full of Christs and that's just not going to happen. I'm glad now to go to a church full of Christians and to let Christ be the only perfect person.

I highly recommend that book as a starting place. I was shocked to find that even though I'd been in churches most of my life I was not a believer. It was my own disbelief mirrored in the sins of others that drove me away from church. I saw my short comings and thought, well you people are no better than I am, so why bother. What I missed was the fact that there's only one Christ. I expected His followers to be just like him and that was unrealistic.

I felt the exact.same.way. I hadn't been a part of a church for ages, I dabbled here and there and was disgusted by what I saw. That book, though, gave me a lot to think about. There was a quote, "Church is not a show case for saints, it's a hospital for sinners," and that meant a lot to me. I thought, maybe I was looking at this all wrong. Maybe, all these obnoxious hypocrites needed to be in church with a congregation, so that they could have people helping them struggling with those issues.

I found that my faith had been non-existant. I didn't really believe that Christ was the only way to Heaven, therefore I did not really believe in Christ. From there I decided to read the gospels, in order to find out what Christ wanted me to do. I actually listed every thing that smelled like an admonishment or rule. I found that Christ wanted us to read the Old Testament, that he said they were not stories or parables (another misconception I had labored under). Once I started reading my Bible and praying, which was just inevitable after all I had learned, I started understanding why I needed to go to church. Then, God led me to a church... a Baptist church no less! I've been nondenominational for nearly all my life.

Now, I go to church with people that struggle, and I struggle. I smoke and I even cuss :( Thank God my fellow congregants love me anyway. I know true Christians that have drinking problems, I know God fearing Christians that struggle with gossip. I love them anyway. Because there is only one person that managed to NOT to anything wrong, only one person that managed to make it through life without missing the mark. All my life I wanted a church full of Christs and that's just not going to happen. I'm glad now to go to a church full of Christians and to let Christ be the only perfect person.

I highly recommend that book as a starting place. I was shocked to find that even though I'd been in churches most of my life I was not a believer. It was my own disbelief mirrored in the sins of others that drove me away from church. I saw my short comings and thought, well you people are no better than I am, so why bother. What I missed was the fact that there's only one Christ. I expected His followers to be just like him and that was unrealistic.

Beautiful!

I have experienced the worst the church has to offer. One of the reasons I have even tried to remain a part of church is because I recognize there are many of us who have been chewed up and spit out by this thing called church.

Anyway, in the worst of my pain and anger towards God and what had happened to me, I read "The Shack." I'm not saying this is some great theological work...it doesn't set out to be that. I did however help me bridge the gap between hateing God for allowing the horrible things to happen that did...and being reminded about how awesome and wonderful and loving He is.

:grouphug: to you!

Well, I was a cradle Christian. Mom used to bring me around to the JESUS concerts in the 70s where she used to sing in the choirs. But in my early 30s I became totally disillusioned and left church--but I never left God--I just got really, really pissed at him. And I asked Him to show himself to me without the institutional church.

The books in the order that God brought them to me, that made the most impact were:

SOUL SURVIVOR-Phillip Yancy

THE JESUS I NEVER KNEW-Phillip Yancy

SO YOU DON'T WANT TO GO TO CHURCH ANYMORE-Wayne Jacobsen/Dave Coleman

THE SHACK-William P Young

PAGAN CHRISTIANITY-Frank Viola and George Barna (though the one I read was Mr. Viola himself-the new one has been updated)

Recently Viola and Sweets JESUS MANIFESTO

I also love Brian McLaren's work.

You've gotten good recommendations. Another good book is Knowing God by J I Packer.

On the violent crime issue, Forgiving the Dead Man Walking is really good, but it's also disturbing - maybe put it on your list to read later. I have a 16 yo, and I'm not sure I'd want her to read that one just yet.

Let's Roll about 9/11 is really good, with a theme of faith even in the most difficult times. I cried a lot while reading it - have the kleenex handy.

In the Presence of My Enemies is another personal experience book about keeping the faith during difficult times. This is one of my 16 yo's favorite books. But again, have the kleenex handy.