Menu

x/p German 3 documentaries or movies? or video type Internet resources?

It seems hard to find good German movies.... could you recommend any? What about documentaries? We're looking for healthy, non-steamy, type content for 16 yo ds and German 2 level for 12yo dd ...

I searched old posts and found these comments ....

We watched the movie Nordwand (Northface) a couple weeks ago. It is visually stunning and emotionally gripping. It is the mostly factual story of an attempt to climb the north face of the Eiger in the Swiss alps. The movie follows a pair of German climbers and a pair of Austrian climbers as they try to summit....I got the movie from Netflix. It also has English subtitles.

There are some German movies in Netflix, but I can't think of many that I'd have the kids watch. Even some of the movies that were TV miniseries on German TV have scenes that I'd have to edit for the kids.

However, there is a lot available on the internet. I've found many shows in full or partial episodes through iTunes (start looking at Wissen Macht Ah and follow the suggestions). Loewenzahn is a kids show that is playable online.

It is a little hard for me to follow the suggestions though as I don't read German, so any other links are helpful....

Mostly Martha (sorry, I don't know the German title)

Lukas

Thanks for any other ideas!

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

When we lived in Germany, we were able to find lots of videos and dvds. I was quite fond of the German reality shows that put people into different time periods. Abenteuer 1900 and Windstaerke 8 were about a family in 1900 and the emigration experience respectively.

If you can get Tatort, especially the old Kripo Koeln episodes, those are good. They are about on a level with a Law and Order or CSI.

Die Sendung mit der Maus is a kids' show. The episodes are based on a theme and have a variety of cartoon and live action shorts on that them. For example, we watched an episode recently that was all about cutting things, with scissors, how saws work and how bandaids are made.

You might also consider Sesam Strasse. It is for kids, but a 4-5 yo has a pretty high level of language compared to a language learner. There is probably a channel that shows it on tv.

Sebastian, we are still here.

To all- but it is hard to find German materials in the library, even as an alternative language on films (you know how you can choose the language? guess it is the French influence - they'd rather have English option). I'll have to look for ones we liked on Amazon.de, there is less interest though on a film that they have seen. That's what I liked about the Nordwand suggestion and the Mostly Martha looks good since we didn't know that film before.

The German history reality show sounds interesting. Is it available on the internet? (We don't have "TV" except for DVD's)

Just checked Tatort on Wikipedia, it sounds like it could be helpful too. They even have a list of all the old investigators. Could you tell me which are the Kripo Koeln ones?

They like the Maus too.

Sesame Street I blame for my oldest son's ADD, so we'll avoid that.

Thanks,

Joan

I'm surprised you can't get German movies - Geneva's not all that far from Bern - but if you're buying, we liked Das Wunder von Bern and Das Fliegende Klassenzimmer. I haven't joined Netflix yet and don't know what all else is on the Internet.

(Fortunately, my dc have no problems watching films they have already seen. In fact, they will watch their favorites over and over and over. If they only watched each film once, I'd go broke.)

Have you tried sitcoms? Dc will happily watch Star Trek in German too.

And you can definitely get Radio BeO on the Internet. Dh listens to it all the time.

Edited by In The Great White North

I'm surprised you can't get German movies - Geneva's not all that far from Bern - but if you're buying, we liked Das Wunder von Bern and Das Fliegende Klassenzimmer. I haven't joined Netflix yet and don't know what all else is on the Internet.

Have you tried sitcoms? Dc will happily watch Star Trek in German too.

And you can definitely get Radio BeO on the Internet. Dh listens to it all the time.

It is a sad state of affairs. The light reading in German is pitiful. English section is a bit bigger. But I combed the under 18 science and history videos (DVD's) and not a one had a German option while a bunch had English. I'll look at the adult films next.

Considering that you can expect on average 23% higher salary (for the French speakers of Switzerland) if you know German, it is surprising. I think it is the Swiss German in the equation that depresses people. No matter how good their (the French Swiss) German is, the Swiss Germans like to use Swiss German and if you don't know it, you're on the outside of the conversation (unless it is an official conversation or they make the effort to include you). You can see all the German notebooks in the trash can at school at the end of 9th grade (presumably those who aren't continuing?).

Thanks for the film suggestions and Internet radio. I'll look into those. (Sitcoms I'm presuming would be on TV?)

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

We've watched two of the German-made Cornelia Funke movies - I'd say they're aimed at tween girls - protagonists are about 12yo.

Hände weg von Mississippi (girl loves horse movie)

Die wilden Hühner (pack of girls are friends)

The latter movie apparently has a sequel set when the girls are a few years older, as you may guess from the title Die wilden Hühner und die Liebe - but it sounds like it's more about high school "love"/crushes - it's still recommended for ages 8 and up. There's also a third installment, but it's direct to film (not from a Cornelia Funke book), and they're grown up, and it sounds like it has more mature themes.

If you're there in Europe, won't Amazon.de ship to you free? And you don't have to worry about PAL conversion either...

A few scenes from Das Wunder von Bern were filmed on our street in Cologne:thumbup:. My kids have enjoyed some of the already mentioned films "Windstärke 8" and "Abenteuer 1900". There is also an "Abenteuer 1927" but I haven't seen that yet. I think your son would enjoy those. "Lola rennt", "Good-bye Lenin" "Sonnenallee" "Kleine Haie"- are all good but don't know if they fit your definition of "healthy".

Some other ideas (not all of these are German productions but they are all dubbed in German and available from amazon.de). These would be more for your dd:

"Katja und der Falke"

"Kim und die Wölfe"

"Das geheimnisvolle Minusch"

What about Run, Lola, Run (Lola Rennt) or Goodbye Lenin? Both of these are touched on in the OSU's German course.

~Moira

My daughter saw both of these recently. They were fine for us but Lola had some bad language and Goodbye Lenin was a little steamy.

How about Operation Valkyrie? Violent (it is a war story) but clean-cut, kwim?

Thank you elinnea, matroyshka, GWN, Moira, Laurie, and Sebastian! (and ETA Liza!)

I was able to find one of all those films and sitcoms at the library - Goodbye Lenin. (Liza - I just got your post as I was writing this - thank you for the heads up. It helps to have seen things recently or through the eyes of children. Like recently my dd read Where the Red Fern Grows and was quite turned off by this scene that I had quite forgotten). 4 of the suggestions had a book - so I can get my ds to peruse those.

It is surprising that the Nordwand is not available as it takes place in Switzerland.

I have just thought of asking some German speaking families that I know here for these movies too - and to see if they have any recommendations as well.

I forgot. While Das Wunder von Bern is a good movie, there is a scene that really bothered dd.

Could you PM me about it?

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Joan

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to mention that we saw Mostly Martha and really enjoyed it! My daughter watched it twice - once without subtitles so she would really have to pay attention and then the second time with English subtitles so I could understand it.

It was fine for 17, I think, but had a few things that would be inappropriate for a younger child (a waitress discussing a customer who was harassing her, some language, a scene with a lot of kissing) so I am not having my 12yo watch it.

hth!

BTW, we are hoping to see this movie - Vision - this weekend. Hoping it is good!

Thank you for remembering this thread Liza!

Will you see Vision in German? Can you give a review then? I just found the name in German on the Wikipedia page for the movie - Aus dem Leben der Hildegard von Bingen (Had never heard of it before - I think it takes me years to find out about movies)

Thanks!

Joan

Buddenbrooks is fascinating. It goes on for bloody ever (2+ hours), but it's kind of like watching a telenovella - you really get into it.

My German is really poor, and I was completely engrossed in this movie - without subtitles.

There was one kind of raunchy scene with a guy who was cheating on his wife with the maid, but it only involved lascivious looks and some body grabbing.

The actual book is required reading to graduate from German school - so it is considered intellectually ok, if that means anything...

a

Hey Asta - good to hear from you!

My German is really poor, and I was completely engrossed in this movie - without subtitles.

That's handy to know as we just had a German guest yesterday and I could see the dc still have a long way to go...

I just did a search on it and apparently the name is the same in German (ETA I found it is Die Buddenbrooks) ? Anyway it looks interesting with the historical setting. I saw that the audio book has 22 CD's!!!!

Thanks!

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

Could someone who reads German well tell me the difference between these different Nordwand options?

There are three new ones with three different prices..OK, one is Blu-ray - but the other two? I'd rather get cheaper if possible..but I see it has something about "12" on it...others I have seen have a "6" on them in the same format - large on the bottom front of the box...does that mean adapted for that age otherwise it is for older people?

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_de_DE=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Nordwand&x=11&y=14

And has anyone seen the Der Fuchs und das Madchen? (I found it when looking for Kim and the Wolf) and what does Einzel DVD mean?

Thanks!

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

Joan, Vision is playing here in German with English subtitles.

I just read about this film this morning in the NYT so I have to see what my husband thinks about my daughter and I going on Saturday. We are not on a tight budget but a day in the city is always more expensive than we expect :glare:

We just watched Hilfe on Netfix. It's a children's movie. Sort of a German version of Freaky Friday based around 11 yo boy and girl who change bodies. It's subtitled in English.

It's mostly clean except for a few mild curse words and a quick shot of a ladies dressing room.

Asta - where did you find this?

Kid and I got sucked into watching it on really late night tv once in a hotel. DH kept waking up and saying "is that thing STILL on?" LOL

I have no idea where you would find an actual DVD copy. Maybe German Amazon?

Kid's German teacher told me the bit about the book being required reading.

a

"Vitus" is a wonderful movie- in German with English subtitles. We watched it a couple of months ago- very well suited for the whole family.

Review from amazon:

In Vitus, a boy's extraordinary talent makes his life unbearable--until he applies his brilliance to the problem of normalcy. Vitus (played at 12 by actual piano prodigy Teo Gheorghiu), a boy obsessed with bats and the piano, reveals high intelligence and musical intuition in his childhood; his mother Helen sets out to both push and protect him, resulting in a life hemmed in and out of the boy's control. His only solace is his rascally grandfather (Bruno Ganz, Wings of Desire, as wily and charismatic as ever), who lets Vitus explore without restrictions. But when he can stand his mother's well-intentioned but domineering ways no longer, Vitus takes a drastic step to reclaim his autonomy. A charming fable, Vitus rises above the usual cliches about gifted youth through subtle performances, emotional restraint, and lovely images. Director Fredi M. Murer draws remarkably natural performances from both Gheorghiu and the adorable Fabrizio Borsani, who plays Vitus at age 6, as well as from the young actresses who play the girl Vitus yearns for. There's no denying that Vitus aims to be heartwarming, and for some viewers that goal is cloying in and of itself. But when the 6 year old Vitus running around wearing the gigantic batwings his grandfather made, it would take a rigid cynic not to be delighted. --Bret Fetzer

• 1 month later...
"Vitus" is a wonderful movie- in German with English subtitles. We watched it a couple of months ago- very well suited for the whole family.

We just watched Vitus a few weeks ago. It really was a charming movie. Everyone watched it, down to the 8 year old.

The language is interesting as there is some Hochdeutsch, some dialect and even some English. There is an amusing scene where the mom tells a school official that she can go ahead and use dialect.

Took me a bit to get into the style of German but it was quite comfortable by the end.

Could someone who reads German well tell me the difference between these different Nordwand options?

There are three new ones with three different prices..OK, one is Blu-ray - but the other two? I'd rather get cheaper if possible..but I see it has something about "12" on it...others I have seen have a "6" on them in the same format - large on the bottom front of the box...does that mean adapted for that age otherwise it is for older people?

Joan,

I looked and could not figure out why they differ so much in price - the expensive one says "Majestic Collection", but I could not discern a hint as to why it would be different from the cheap one.

The 12 means: appropriate for ages 12 and up. (It would be the equivalent to rating a movie PG 13 -in Germany the ratings are 6, 12 and 16). This would be the general rating of the film. If you have very sensitive 12 y/o, however, it may be too much to handle. I do not know whether you are familiar with the expedition- it is a very dramatic and very sad story.

A comment about Goodbye Lenin:

before watching it, have an East German explain about the situation and the film. Otherwise you won't really understand it.

Even when it was shown in German movie theaters, there were many scenes where the East Germans in the audience would laugh because they got the humor - and the West Germans would just look puzzled and could not imagine what would be funny.

before watching it, have an East German explain about the situation and the film. Otherwise you won't really understand it.

Even when it was shown in German movie theaters, there were many scenes where the East Germans in the audience would laugh because they got the humor - and the West Germans would just look puzzled and could not imagine what would be funny.

Yeah, and it doesn't help if you don't know even basic DDR vocabulary! I watched this movie earlier this year without English subtitles and missed a fair amount. When I watched it again with subtitles, I realized that I just had not known specific vocab (like Genosse). But hey, I started learning Geman after the Berlin wall fell, so I never needed it before! :001_smile:

Joan,

I looked and could not figure out why they differ so much in price - the expensive one says "Majestic Collection", but I could not discern a hint as to why it would be different from the cheap one.

The 12 means: appropriate for ages 12 and up. (It would be the equivalent to rating a movie PG 13 -in Germany the ratings are 6, 12 and 16). This would be the general rating of the film. If you have very sensitive 12 y/o, however, it may be too much to handle. I do not know whether you are familiar with the expedition- it is a very dramatic and very sad story.

I don't know that I would show this to anyone under 13. It is clean in terms of US ratings, but it is a very tense plot that does not have a happy ending. I was actually sitting on the end of my seat the last half hour. I didn't know what the ending to the story was and I was hoping against hope that things would turn out well.

My older kids have done a lot of rock climbing the last few years; it is a passion for my oldest. But I did not show them the movie.

The level of tension and drama for me was something like Black Hawk Down, but without people shooting at each other. There is no editing of scenes that would change the sorrowful outcome for the climbers. I'm very glad I watched it, but it will be several years before I show my sons.

I was actually sitting on the end of my seat the last half hour. I didn't know what the ending to the story was and I was hoping against hope that things would turn out well.

I DID know the story, from the wonderful book by Heinrich Harrer about the history of the Eiger North face - I regularly choke when I am rereading it, and both DD and I cried at the movie.

But it is good - except the liberties they took with the story by including the girl and having her traipse around on the mountain at night - total nonsense. Not even necessary to keep the viewer's interest- it is thrilling already.

I DID know the story, from the wonderful book by Heinrich Harrer about the history of the Eiger North face - I regularly choke when I am rereading it, and both DD and I cried at the movie.

But it is good - except the liberties they took with the story by including the girl and having her traipse around on the mountain at night - total nonsense. Not even necessary to keep the viewer's interest- it is thrilling already.

Is that White Spider? I have that waiting for me at my mil's from Paperback Swap.

And I totally agree that the bit with the cousin staying out overnight on the mountain with barely even a coat and then getting up fresh as a daisy was silly.

Yes. Great book.

Have you read his book Seven years in Tibet?

And I keep forgetting that it is even the same author. I have such a stack of books waiting for me at my in-laws. But I fear I didn't keep enough here to get me through the next few days and then an agonizingly long plane ride.

How did I accidently pack up all the good comfort books? :confused:

Anyway, I am looking forward to White Spider. I thought Nordwand was incredible. But I also figured that if I showed my kids, at least one of them would never climb joyfully again.

The language is interesting as there is some Hochdeutsch, some dialect

We ran into this problem with Heidi (which has Swiss German mixed in). My daughter had no idea which was which, so I'm wondering if this is unhelpful if it is not clear when they are switching.

Joan,

it is a very tense plot that does not have a happy ending.

Thanks Regentrude (as well as for the hs2coll answer). And with this info about tenseness, I think it will be good for my 2 oldest (20 and 24) who are also working on their German. My dd would definitely not like it....I'd been waiting for an answer about the prices to order and then had forgotten to order! But it is a good time to get a present...

Thanks too.