Menu

What in TOG don't you like?

filipinagirl

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like that there is SO much to choose from that I can't possibly get it all done!! ;) We're almost done with Y1 U1 and I'm still tweaking a bit to find the best groove for getting through the material.

Starting out I had grand visions of my kids learning the vocabulary, completing ALL of the reading assignments (at least the ones I could get from our library, which is most of them), doing writing assignments, and completing all of the student pages. During the first week it was quite obvious that we would not have time for the vocabulary. For the most part we get the reading done. And not all of the student pages have been completed. There was also no time to get writing assignments done. But...my kids are still learning about history. :)

I am still eagerly awaiting for my Yr. 1 to arrive. I know that there is not one perfect curricula- I just want to know what I should anticipate as a teacher using TOG. What changes have you done ? What don't you like about it?

Thank you much,

Cally

Cally,

I don't use it all, but I pretty much like it all. The one exception that has been driving me nuts lately is the Knowledge Quest maps. They don't have the detail I prefer, they are currently having the kids map places and point to where they are located off map instead of giving me a map that has that location on it, they are bad about using current names on the answer keys when TOG is using the older name for that time in history and last, even once in a while the mapping doesn't line up at all. Like when I did year 2 TOG specifically not to have LG map the battles in the Revolutionary War, but just the general area, but the Knowledge Quest maps had them mapping the battles. :glare:

That said I have only used classic to date, so all of this may have been addressed in the redesign. Even then they are not the end of the world, just irritating. It isn't as if I am going to go off and start finding my own maps....

Heather

The only thing that I don't like is that there's no Canadian supplement/alternative. Last year and this year we've been plugging Canadian history in, and it's been okay, but I wish there were some sort of supplement for us northerners. It's obviously not a huge complaint or I would have dropped it by now. ;)

I'm new, to both ToG and homeschooling, so take all of what I say with a huge grain of salt. ;)

This is our 5th week of schooling and last week I was ready to toss it all! I had *most* of the recommended books for L&UG which is where my kids are, but not all of them. I was trying to "do school" as inexpensive as we could but as easy as possible for me starting with 3 "grade" levels to educate. I liked ToG from the first glance I had. It was not the first curriculum I looked at, all of my local friends use others and I had been to the local curriculum fair as well. I continued to be drawn back to it. Well, I ordered late-ish. We were starting school in August and I only ordered Unit1 about 2 weeks before we planned to begin. Ha!!!

Overwhelmed does not even begin to describe it.

I started anyway. We rearranged to begin with Creation (swapping the first 3 weeks with the second three) since my children would grasp the chronological history easier. Unfortunately many of the recommended resourses for those first few weeks were NOT available from my library and I felt it was too late to order and stay "on track". ;) SO I found I would read the Bible passages to them but had none of the enrichment that I was so drawn to in Tapestry, so we ended up letting most of it slip and concentrated on our basics (math, handwriting, phonics, grammar, etc) as we settled into the new lifestyle of homeschooling. Then I posted here a (what I thought was) desperate cry for help as I was about to ditch it all for a boxed curriculum.

I got some really great advice and support and went to my husband with my concerns. He was in support of whatever I decided since he trusts me to know what will work for our situation. I brought the choices to him and he agreed they all looked good. But what was best? As I prepared to order the boxed curriculum it quickly came to my realization that my children did not fit neatly into the levels available and that there was a very real possibility that I would need three different curricula. Ummm, no. I know myself better than to think that was the "easy" route. Suddenly I remember why I wanted Tapestry from the beginning, the suggestions that would help me educate all of my children from the same source.

Sooooo, I put on my big-girl panties and went to work at ordering what I felt we were missing. Could I have continued with the Bible only, sure, but I wanted to make sure they were seeing the correlation between secular history and the Bible, we needed those extras. I also ordered The Mystery of History to fill in as a spine when I couldn't find what I needed from the library and still feel like they're getting some "extras". A member here (Siloam) sent me here file that matches up the MoH to ToG and it was perfect!

I also ordered the first 2 webinars from Lampstand (Out of the Shrink Wrap and Lesson Planning 101). I have no idea why I waited so long. Hearing directly from Marcia (the author) was EXACTLY what I needed and reinforced to me why I chose ToG in the first place. I looked forward to this week with a new confidence and had a great time putting together the kids workbooks for them (which were really just the Student Activity Pages and maps in a binder for each of them). I placed all the kids into the LG section (my oldest is 8 and while he could probably handle some of the UG track I know it is best for all of us to get a strong and solid start and that means staying LG for at least this unit as we adjust to being at home.

All that to say, the investment for the webinars that apply to you will pay for themselves in the peace of mind and confidence they'll give you! Sure it's a buffet, but I always like the chef's recommendations. ;)

I have a strange annoyance with the constant updating of books to keep in print books listed as book suggestions. I use the library a lot, so I am often able to get out of print books, so it annoys me that many, many people who are using the "same" curriculum, are not using the "same" curriculum at all.

All that to say, I love TOG and happily use my copies without paying any attention book updates.

I believe the map issues Siloam listed are taken care of in the redesign.

I also wish the TOG forums were as active and wonderful as this one :)

I'm new, to both ToG and homeschooling, so take all of what I say with a huge grain of salt. ;)

This is our 5th week of schooling and last week I was ready to toss it all! I had *most* of the recommended books for L&UG which is where my kids are, but not all of them. I was trying to "do school" as inexpensive as we could but as easy as possible for me starting with 3 "grade" levels to educate. I liked ToG from the first glance I had. It was not the first curriculum I looked at, all of my local friends use others and I had been to the local curriculum fair as well. I continued to be drawn back to it. Well, I ordered late-ish. We were starting school in August and I only ordered Unit1 about 2 weeks before we planned to begin. Ha!!!

Overwhelmed does not even begin to describe it.

I started anyway. We rearranged to begin with Creation (swapping the first 3 weeks with the second three) since my children would grasp the chronological history easier. Unfortunately many of the recommended resourses for those first few weeks were NOT available from my library and I felt it was too late to order and stay "on track". ;) SO I found I would read the Bible passages to them but had none of the enrichment that I was so drawn to in Tapestry, so we ended up letting most of it slip and concentrated on our basics (math, handwriting, phonics, grammar, etc) as we settled into the new lifestyle of homeschooling. Then I posted here a (what I thought was) desperate cry for help as I was about to ditch it all for a boxed curriculum.

I got some really great advice and support and went to my husband with my concerns. He was in support of whatever I decided since he trusts me to know what will work for our situation. I brought the choices to him and he agreed they all looked good. But what was best? As I prepared to order the boxed curriculum it quickly came to my realization that my children did not fit neatly into the levels available and that there was a very real possibility that I would need three different curricula. Ummm, no. I know myself better than to think that was the "easy" route. Suddenly I remember why I wanted Tapestry from the beginning, the suggestions that would help me educate all of my children from the same source.

Sooooo, I put on my big-girl panties and went to work at ordering what I felt we were missing. Could I have continued with the Bible only, sure, but I wanted to make sure they were seeing the correlation between secular history and the Bible, we needed those extras. I also ordered The Mystery of History to fill in as a spine when I couldn't find what I needed from the library and still feel like they're getting some "extras". A member here (Siloam) sent me here file that matches up the MoH to ToG and it was perfect!

I also ordered the first 2 webinars from Lampstand (Out of the Shrink Wrap and Lesson Planning 101). I have no idea why I waited so long. Hearing directly from Marcia (the author) was EXACTLY what I needed and reinforced to me why I chose ToG in the first place. I looked forward to this week with a new confidence and had a great time putting together the kids workbooks for them (which were really just the Student Activity Pages and maps in a binder for each of them). I placed all the kids into the LG section (my oldest is 8 and while he could probably handle some of the UG track I know it is best for all of us to get a strong and solid start and that means staying LG for at least this unit as we adjust to being at home.

All that to say, the investment for the webinars that apply to you will pay for themselves in the peace of mind and confidence they'll give you! Sure it's a buffet, but I always like the chef's recommendations. ;)

Awesome post!

I have a strange annoyance with the constant updating of books to keep in print books listed as book suggestions. I use the library a lot, so I am often able to get out of print books, so it annoys me that many, many people who are using the "same" curriculum, are not using the "same" curriculum at all.

All that to say, I love TOG and happily use my copies without paying any attention book updates.

That settles it, Tina.

We were separated at birth.

Everything she said. :D

I don't like that there are no discussion questions for LG/UG. I love the Socratic method, and every program I use has an element of it. So it is frustrating that a program that is so strong on that front in the upper levels leaves it out completely at the grammar level.

Me too, exactly - and especially the last point about the TOG forums!! I don't understand why it isn't more active, except that maybe everyone is over here most of the time! :lol:

Blessings,

Lucinda

re the forums: I think the TOG forum is not as active because it's more about the curriculum itself. People don't go there and build relationships like they do here. If this forum was monitored and laid out in such a way that only threads about SWB's materials were up for discussion, then this forum would probably be just as slow as the TOG forum. That said, there is another TOG forum called Loose Threads, and it is more active than the TOGether forum, but not quite as active as here. The layout is horrible, but I do go there on occassion.

That settles it, Tina.

We were separated at birth.

Everything she said. :D

:iagree: and I likey! I always wanted to be a twin :D

Me too, exactly - and especially the last point about the TOG forums!! I don't understand why it isn't more active, except that maybe everyone is over here most of the time! :lol:

Blessings,

Lucinda

:tongue_smilie:you're probably right

re the forums: I think the TOG forum is not as active because it's more about the curriculum itself. People don't go there and build relationships like they do here. If this forum was monitored and laid out in such a way that only threads about SWB's materials were up for discussion, then this forum would probably be just as slow as the TOG forum. That said, there is another TOG forum called Loose Threads, and it is more active than the TOGether forum, but not quite as active as here. The layout is horrible, but I do go there on occassion.
So, on Friday, I'm goin' over there! Anybody wanna join me...it'll be just like home (here, of course)

I might give it a try again, but in the past the community there has not seemed as open as it is here. There seem to be some online "cliques" that can at times be annoying. But even more than that, the layout drives me to distraction. I much prefer the PHP structure of this forum to what Yahoo uses for their group forums. That might be why our WTM_TOG group has starts and stops -- you think maybe?

Maybe I'll go over to Loose Threads today and see if I can find you or Tina, and maybe there's something worthwhile going on that will hold my attention.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I might give it a try again, but in the past the community there has not seemed as open as it is here. There seem to be some online "cliques" that can at times be annoying. But even more than that, the layout drives me to distraction. I much prefer the PHP structure of this forum to what Yahoo uses for their group forums. That might be why our WTM_TOG group has starts and stops -- you think maybe?

Maybe I'll go over to Loose Threads today and see if I can find you or Tina, and maybe there's something worthwhile going on that will hold my attention.

Blessings,

Lucinda

:lol: I'm sooo gonna start a thread there...

I show up there on and off. I am subscribed to the forums for the year I am currently using and to the topical forums. When I have something to contribute I usually do, well as long as I feel like figuring out my password. ;)

It dries me nuts how you can't talk about competitors.

Also I really don't use TOG the way it was designed to be used, so that limits what I have to contribute.

Heather

I show up there on and off. I am subscribed to the forums for the year I am currently using and to the topical forums. When I have something to contribute I usually do, well as long as I feel like figuring out my password. ;)

It dries me nuts how you can't talk about competitors.

Also I really don't use TOG the way it was designed to be used, so that limits what I have to contribute.

Heather

Heather, on the contrary, I think that enables you to contribute so much more! So many people get turned off of TOG because they can't do it all, or they can't do it the way it is laid out. I think being able to manipulate it is precisely what makes it valuable, and the insight and ability you have could be very valuable (and contagious!) to other moms. So go forth and share, dear Heather! :D

Heather, on the contrary, I think that enables you to contribute so much more! So many people get turned off of TOG because they can't do it all, or they can't do it the way it is laid out. I think being able to manipulate it is precisely what makes it valuable, and the insight and ability you have could be very valuable (and contagious!) to other moms. So go forth and share, dear Heather! :D

Awww, I needed that today! Thanks!!

Heather

I still need to read all of this, but I do have a few questions-

does TOG cover more history than Sotw? We want to teach religion as history and different peoples views/beliefs so which would cover that better-TOG or SOTW?

I guess, what are the main differences-I'll look for a thread.

I have really only looked at year 1 to date, but yes. TOG has quite a bit more Biblical history that SOTW doesn't touch on.

TOG both covers the Bible as history and covers various believes. For example in Year 3 we covered India and read a book of various tales of Ganesha. This was very interesting becuase I didn't realize that the stories doesn't agree, so there is a real contrast to the Bible there. For example some parts of India have Ganesha as married and some say he never did marry. This was only at the LG level. Worldviews are well covered in TOG, IMO.

Differences:

SOTW:

-can be used alone, or as a spine with other books

-with AG it has mapping.

-with AG has discussion questions

-with AG has activities

-with AG has narration prompts

-with AG has memory cards

-with AG timeline work

SOTW is very well rounded and fully for younger and even middle students (just add more reading, and a encyclopedia-scheduled in the AG). I personally would want something beefier for high school.

TOG:

-is a guide

-intertwines history, literature, worldview, art history, science history, music history, government and philosophy all into a cohesive whole. Now SOTW will touch on all of these at one point but not to the depth that TOG will.

-has mapping at 4 different levels

-has activities

-has discussion and thinking questions for D and R level students, none for younger.

-has literature worksheets of 4 different levels

-has a focus on training the child to independence

-provides choices of books, some spines some individual texts-though the questions are focused on their fist choice books.

-timeline work

-vocab words

-lists out important people for possible additional study

-has an in depth tract for kids who want/need more

-you can bounce between levels with a child who is not quite ready for all of the next level but finds the current level easy.

-writing on 12 different levels

-teacher notes for the teacher, so they don't have to read all the student's books

-Pop Quiz to keep dad involved

-Map Aids with answers to make mapping really easy (I really love the answer keys).

-Evaluations, which have several components. As I understand it they have bios on the people listed for additional study, definitions of the vocab words, tests over the material covered and rubics for grading a child's work.

There is no doubt TOG has more. It really depends on your need, goals and how much sense TOG makes to you. Some people don't want to make choices and leave out perfectly good stuff, but you just can't do it all. You also don't really start taking advantage of what TOG has till your child reaches the D level, unless you will actually study ahead yourself (like the idea, there just isn't enough time....):D

That said I tweaked everything I ever used, so having all the options worked for me, even through I didn't have a D level student.

Heather

I agree!

I've only been using it for a few weeks, Yr 1 with one dialectic student. We really love almost everything about it.

-The few little things I do not like - the layout is just a little weird, some stuff here, then a little more there, then some more on another page. No wonder people freak out and get in a "fog". lol

-I really wish they did not start with Egypt, then flip back. My dd was not happy about this.

-I do hope the lit analysis becomes a teeny bit more formal.

Other than that, so far it is going well. I love the Map Aids, the Quizzes, the teacher's notes. I probably would love the Writing Aids if someone had not lost the disk...:glare: I have been swapping out books we can't get at the library and so far so good; she has been able to answer most of the questions. We have been able to supplement with DVDs and other readings because the workload is not too heavy yet.

Looking good so far,

Georgia

Well, it will be a LONG time before I try the Loose Threads forum. The mod pretty much slapped my wrist and told me to keep the talk related to TOG and ENCOURAGING parents. I simply asked the same question that this thread asks, in a nice way too. So I replied, but it will probably be deleted. You know, censorship and stuff. hmph. Nice free world, huh?

Here's what I wrote:

Angi, with all due respect, I was hardly discouraging. My goodness, what ever happened to the freedom we have in speaking, in being real? How can we help and encourage one another if we can't say anything negative? I was not asking about Canadian history. It was actually an attempt to start conversation. I sincerely apologize for trying, I will not do that again.

Blessings to all and to all a good night.

Too bad we can't be real there. You know, we moms fool ourselves if we think everyone's lives/homeschools are all rosy, and we're the only ones who struggle. We need each other to be REAL. We do not need to bury our heads in the sand and add to another's grief because we refuse to be real. Admitting the bad or what we conceive as bad for our families should be allowed and even encouraged. :glare:

Wow-what a nice comparison.

I have Sotw now, as I hadn't heard of TOG until a few weeks ago, but haven't had time to look at it. We have Sotw right now, and it's ok-we just started it though last week. It seems a little dry so far to me.

That is very nice that TOG takes a more historical religion view for different cultures-that's what we are looking for as ds gets older. I'm ok now with exposing him to history mainly through story books that keep his interest. He is only 5.

I've only been using it for a few weeks, Yr 1 with one dialectic student. We really love almost everything about it.

-The few little things I do not like - the layout is just a little weird, some stuff here, then a little more there, then some more on another page. No wonder people freak out and get in a "fog". lol

-I really wish they did not start with Egypt, then flip back. My dd was not happy about this.

-I do hope the lit analysis becomes a teeny bit more formal.

Other than that, so far it is going well. I love the Map Aids, the Quizzes, the teacher's notes. I probably would love the Writing Aids if someone had not lost the disk...:glare: I have been swapping out books we can't get at the library and so far so good; she has been able to answer most of the questions. We have been able to supplement with DVDs and other readings because the workload is not too heavy yet.

Looking good so far,

Georgia

Now that you mention that, I know what you mean. It would be nice to have more of an "answer key" section than having the keys intertwined with the notes, etc.

Well, it will be a LONG time before I try the Loose Threads forum. The mod pretty much slapped my wrist and told me to keep the talk related to TOG and ENCOURAGING parents. I simply asked the same question that this thread asks, in a nice way too. So I replied, but it will probably be deleted. You know, censorship and stuff. hmph. Nice free world, huh?

Here's what I wrote:

Angi, with all due respect, I was hardly discouraging. My goodness, what ever happened to the freedom we have in speaking, in being real? How can we help and encourage one another if we can't say anything negative? I was not asking about Canadian history. It was actually an attempt to start conversation. I sincerely apologize for trying, I will not do that again.

Blessings to all and to all a good night.

Too bad we can't be real there. You know, we moms fool ourselves if we think everyone's lives/homeschools are all rosy, and we're the only ones who struggle. We need each other to be REAL. We do not need to bury our heads in the sand and add to another's grief because we refuse to be real. Admitting the bad or what we conceive as bad for our families should be allowed and even encouraged. :glare:

Dang!! Just DANG!!! It takes a lot to make me mad, truly it does. But today when I read that post from Angi in reply to your great discussion - really got ticked. I was all ready to give it a good try, but then I realized the difference once again between those forums and The Hive, and I just don't want to go back there any more.

So how about we meet up over on "OUR" TOG Yahoo group? We can yack all we want, talk about the competitors and drone on and on about all the things we need to talk about related to TOG.

Don't ever take The Hive for granted. Thank you, SWB!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I will totally echo how controlling the loose threads group is. That is why I am no longer a member. I got my wrists slapped multiple times for saying I was not absolutely happy with the curriculum!!! It is funny because Marcia takes the criticism well on the TOG forum when I got disciplined on the loose threads!!

I really do love the curriculum. They beefed up the dialectic each year and it is good now in year 4. I thought it was week in years 1 and 2. The one thing that surprised me this year in year 4 was map aids!! In many units there are only 3 or 4 maps...none for WWII:confused: I'm having to make my own. The other three years were great with an occassional no map week, but there are tons of those this year. I don't like that!!!

I'm glad I used am using TOG. It works for my family. I wouldn't use it with just one child, but with three children it has worked well.

Christine

Dang!! Just DANG!!! It takes a lot to make me mad, truly it does. But today when I read that post from Angi in reply to your great discussion - really got ticked. I was all ready to give it a good try, but then I realized the difference once again between those forums and The Hive, and I just don't want to go back there any more.

So how about we meet up over on "OUR" TOG Yahoo group? We can yack all we want, talk about the competitors and drone on and on about all the things we need to talk about related to TOG.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Amen. I missed and couldn't even find the Loose Threads in general? Looks like we'll just stay here and our our yahoo group.

I am on LooseThreads, simply TOG, each of the year groups and all of the are very controlled. Drives me nuts. The only one that isn't is WTM TOG because it was started by us here. :D

Heather

Yes! I actually quit all the groups. Loose Threads really drove me to it because it had gotten to the point of not being about TOG At All!

This doesn't apply to the WTM_TOG group--I never joined that one.

Cinder

For the OP's original question: I've just quit TOG for the second time. In the past I used Classic 4 and Redesign 1. This year we used Yr2 Unit 3. Didn't even finish the unit.

I love the concept of TOG--read, discuss, write. But my history-hating ds has made this harder than it should be. The teacher's notes don't always match up to what the kids are reading, so it's hard for me to know whether the info to answer the questions was just not in the reading or my ds was being lazy about the reading. Since both these situations have occurred, we'd end up arguing about it. Then I'd end up having to read his stuff as well as the TN's. I know this doesn't bother some people, but was just too much for me.

Another situation I found, which actually wasn't a problem for me so maybe just a caution: the mapwork, timeline, and vocab sometimes were too much work. I often had to cut out map items or just select a few of the more important dates for the timeline.

I still think TOG is a great program. Just not the right fit for us.

Cinder

Blessings,

Lucinda

Lucinda, I was just over there and read your response. You are just the sweetest thing! Thank you for standing up for me! :001_wub: And thank you for standing up for the principle of the matter: freedom to discuss what doesn't work and be real. I was reading your post and was all :hurray:. You know, after my response to Angie was not accepted, I sent another one, saying "figures. censorship and all." which of course, they didn't approve that one either. I admit my attitude was not the best in that last snarky response and I do feel a wee bit bad about that, but their starchy underwear are way too constricting. :lol: I'd just say to watch out, dear Lucinda, otherwise you may be joining me in detention hall! :tongue_smilie:

That's really annoying. I posted a response there as well. Sorry for the hand slap, specialmama.

Awww, thanks Momto5. I do appreciate it. :grouphug:

All in all, I do agree: the freedom we have at the Hive is wonderful. Thank you Susan!

*and as a disclaimer of sorts for future readers: that forum is not part of the company, it is independant. The starchy underwear moderation that goes on in that forum is no reflection on the product or the company.

I'm glad I used am using TOG. It works for my family. I wouldn't use it with just one child, but with three children it has worked well.

Christine

I am using TOG with just one child, and we love it! My dd has learned so much this past year, and she has gained a real interest in history because of TOG. I owe it all to this amazing curriculum, and highly recommend it for any homeschool family, large or small.

Blessings,

Lucinda

No need for worries on that one, Karyn. They can't put me in detention hall if I stop posting! I think I'll just stay a member to lurk once in awhile if I need some help with a specific problem or challenge. Otherwise, I'll be staying here for discussions and our own WTM Yahoo group. And, btw, it was an honor to stand up for you. You did not deserve that hand slap in the least!

You are a sweetie too, my friend!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Wow-what a nice comparison.

I have Sotw now, as I hadn't heard of TOG until a few weeks ago, but haven't had time to look at it. We have Sotw right now, and it's ok-we just started it though last week. It seems a little dry so far to me.

That is very nice that TOG takes a more historical religion view for different cultures-that's what we are looking for as ds gets older. I'm ok now with exposing him to history mainly through story books that keep his interest. He is only 5.

5 is a little much for doing TOG. :D That said I have seen some people do fine, but I would have tried to do too much, and drove myself nuts.

The Mystery of History also has a Biblical point of view and is much simpler, but while it would be simpler to use than TOG, it really works best with about 2nd grade and up.

There there are those of use who do both, despite MOH not being scheduled in TOG. I can take anything and make it more complicated than it need to be. :smilielol5:

Heather

So I have been looking at TOG and I want to make sure of something. When I am looking at the samples week, these weekly schedules do not come with TOG? How much time does it take you to plan it out? How do you know how to split up the reading? You know like read book "??" pages "??" on this day? How do you all decide that?

So I have been looking at TOG and I want to make sure of something. When I am looking at the samples week, these weekly schedules do not come with TOG? How much time does it take you to plan it out? How do you know how to split up the reading? You know like read book "??" pages "??" on this day? How do you all decide that?

The reading assignments pages are included weekly. They are a WEEKLY schedule. You have to break it down to daily. The ladies should be able to help you more on this. I'm very new to TOG. :)

ETA: Hopefully, that doesn't sound like I'm yelling at you. I was trying to emphasize that they are weekly and not daily.

Edited by lovinmomma