Menu

When do you teach typing and what do you use?

Mommy22alyns

We're doing it now in 5th grade. We're using Mavis Bacon because it works on a Mac. It's fine. Dd is doing fine with it. I wish we had used it in 4th grade so that she would be able to type writing assignments now, but we just didn't get to it. I will use it in 4th grade for my youngest, if not before (she wants to do it now!).

I taught basic keyboarding to my dc in 5th grade. I started by using Diana Hanbury King's book Keyboarding Skills: All Grades - I found it in the library. It enabled me to work with the dc slowly on hand position so I could be sure they were doing it correctly. Once they got through the basic finger positions and some of the exercises, we moved on to the Typing Instructor Deluxe CD-ROM so they could work more independently.

For younger kids, I love Read, Write and Type. . My two oldest used this back when The Learning Company first came out with it. It wasn't available for a while and my third missed out, but it was recently re-released as an online program. The link above gives you a free trial and a discount code. This is great for teaching ages 5-7 beginning touch typing. 8-10 can use it too but they may find it babyish.

For younger kids, I love Read, Write and Type. . My two oldest used this back when The Learning Company first came out with it. It wasn't available for a while and my third missed out, but it was recently re-released as an online program. The link above gives you a free trial and a discount code. This is great for teaching ages 5-7 beginning touch typing. 8-10 can use it too but they may find it babyish.

I looked over the website a little but didn't try the downloads yet. I wondered, though, if this is a touch keyboarding program or primarily meant to be a reading program? All the description talked about reading and the picture shows a child essentially doing what I would call "hunt and peck" in that he's watching the keyboard and doesn't have correct finger placement.

I looked over the website a little but didn't try the downloads yet. I wondered, though, if this is a touch keyboarding program or primarily meant to be a reading program? All the description talked about reading and the picture shows a child essentially doing what I would call "hunt and peck" in that he's watching the keyboard and doesn't have correct finger placement.

Nope, it's touch typing. They bill it as a "reading" program which I really don't get at all. Maybe to market it to schools who aren't interested in teacing first or second graders to touch type? If the child in the video is hunting and pecking he isn't being watched carefully. The Righty and Leftway characters tell the kids how to reach with such and such finger on the correct hand to get to the new letter they will be practicing. The home row is called the "power up" position. I was careful to remember to sit next to the child and watch that she kept her eyes on the monitor and off of her hands the whole time. There are no real speed drills and you may decide to use another program afterward, but I found this one really valuable for learning the layout of the keyboard by touch. I never found the need to use another program for reinforcement because they enjoy sitting at separate computers and IMing one another once they have the keyboard nailed down.

There is a whole story line where Vexor the Virus is trying to steal all the characters and you are to free them by typing stories. They start out simply, using just the letter F for the first "story" to help Fadasa blow up a balloon until it pops. This generally made it easier to keep their eyes on the monitor and off the keys because they were afraid they'd miss something.

Hope this is helpful.

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

We started at 5.5 with Read Write and Type as well. It taught my son to type very well. He used correct finger placement almost immediately and practiced sounds and spelling as well as dictation all while learning to type.

Now that he has completed the program, he practices typing with spelling words and dictation as well as typing emails to Grammy.

Another vote for Read, Write, Type.

I bought an online subscription for ds7 and it has since expired. He enjoyed it. He learned correct placement for the fingers, and it reinforced reading and spelling. My only regret is that I don't have the funds to purchase the software at the present b/c he would like to continue and I've got 2 other dc who would benefit as well.

We just tried the teacher demo and it does teach the correct fingers. My 5 year old daughter really liked it and asked for more when the demo was over. She already reads well though, and I'm not sure that it would be worth the expense for just typing. :001_smile:

Angela

Another vote for Read, Write, Type.

I bought an online subscription for ds7 and it has since expired. He enjoyed it. He learned correct placement for the fingers, and it reinforced reading and spelling. My only regret is that I don't have the funds to purchase the software at the present b/c he would like to continue and I've got 2 other dc who would benefit as well.

You can buy it in CD form. Choose the international edition and then use the 20% off code. The only difference between the international and home editions are the printed stories, keyboard cover, stickers...things I'm not interested in anyway. I used it on XP with no issues at all. I don't know whether it's Vista compatible or not. I know it doesn't work with Windows 7 so maybe not. Anyway, it'll come to $31 and change with the discount.

Barb

We just tried the teacher demo and it does teach the correct fingers. My 5 year old daughter really liked it and asked for more when the demo was over. She already reads well though, and I'm not sure that it would be worth the expense for just typing. :001_smile:

Angela

It's really not that bad if you use the 20% off coupon. See above :D I don't work for them, LOL...I just like the program That Much and think it's worth the $30.

Barb

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ