Menu

If you've done a human body study in early elementary

plain jane

would you mind posting here and sharing either blog links to what you did or a list of your favorite books/websites/activities that you have done. We love hands-on projects here so the more ideas, the better. :)

I have quite a few ideas but I'm still trying to finish off my plans as we get going with our study and would love to hear/see what others have done.

I am using RSO Bio but I really want to add to the human body portion of the study as I find it's pretty light. Their supplemental reading list is the pits and my library is too so any and all book recs would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

would you mind posting here and sharing either blog links to what you did or a list of your favorite books/websites/activities that you have done. We love hands-on projects here so the more ideas, the better. :)

I have quite a few ideas but I'm still trying to finish off my plans as we get going with our study and would love to hear/see what others have done.

I am using RSO Bio but I really want to add to the human body portion of the study as I find it's pretty light. Their supplemental reading list is the pits and my library is too so any and all book recs would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

I made an entire study for my son with lots of hands-on activities, etc. It was a great year! You can see what we did here:

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/otters_science/otters_science_main.html

I made an entire study for my son with lots of hands-on activities, etc. It was a great year! You can see what we did here:

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/otters_science/otters_science_main.html

I cannot thank you enough for posting this!!! I am looking through it now and will continue to througout my boring evening here at work tonight but I believe it will fit exactly what I've been looking for. I purchsed Expolration Education this year at DH's urging and it's just not what I wanted. I think it's above the kids heads in places and touches on a lot of topics very superficially. I'm so excited :)

Thanks.

Here is what I am doing this year for my boys. The "younger student" list would probably work well for most 1st-3rd graders. I am using lots of hands-on activities and DVDs.

We did a bunch of things for K, but maybe not so organized. The kids especially liked the book called The Quest to Digest. Also, when our co-op came over and we pretended to be food and get digested. There was a mosh pit of pillows for the stomach and a bunch of play tunnels for the intestines.

I feel like I've seen a bunch of human body things on the blog Satori Smiles recently...

We used the MFW recommendations. The Body Book which is a really neat cut and paste book about each part of the body. Janice Vancleave's The Human Body for Everykid. It had simple experiments like stringing several spools of thread and disks of cardboard on a string to see how the spine moves. The third book we used was the Usborne book on the human body. I can't remember the name, but it had great photos and illustrations. We did all three books by lining up the topics. For a 3 day a week schedule we did something like this: Day 1 we might read the Usborne book and the Janice Vancleave book. On day 2 and 3 we would do the cut and paste activity book. I am NOT normally a cut and paste type person, but this book was worth it for the layered visuals. Other than having copies and supplies ready, it was really simple for me. It took us less than a year to complete so we did the Apologia Astronomy book for the other part of the year.

I used this last year with my son and he LOVED it! He is pulling those books off the shelf all the time. Loved it, loved it. Thank you Jenn!!

We just started a study of the human body this year and I am using a combination of the human body portion of Elemental Science and then we are doing some lapbooking along with it. There are some great resources on this person's blog here. http://1plus1plus1equals1.blogspot.com/search/label/Human%20Body

I am also using these other sites for resources and ideas.

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/my_body.php

http://eclectic-homeschool.blogspot.com/

We did homeschoolshare's unit/lapbook and it was great! A nice overview. I have a teacherfilebox (EvanMoor)subscription and used some of the printables along with it. Our library had the magic tree house inside the human body book & dvd; it's a great addition to any human body study. Good Luck!

Last year 4 other mothers and I did a weekly science "co-op" focusing on human anatomy with our 12 kids ranging in age from 5 to 12. I think that if you asked the kids what they really remember and enjoyed about it, they would be unanimous -- dissecting!! One mother got parts every couple of weeks from a local butcher (brain, lymph nodes, etc.), one mother got pig feet and large beef bones so we could look at tendons and bone structure, we used a cow eyeball for the eye lesson (they really enjoyed handling and inspecting the lens!). We would frequently go online to get a good idea of how to do the dissection and what we were looking at.

I wasn't too keen on it (not my style of learning -- I like books), but the kids really liked it and the younger ones were especially into it -- particularly when they got to do the cutting.

As a "spine" we used Great Science Adventures Discovering the Human Body And Senses and did activities or experiments every week, then added in other books and pictures. Each of the kids also did a presentation at some point during the year. Also, here's a link to a website with some fun anatomy games: http://www.anatomyarcade.com/index.html