Menu

Phonics curricula that don't require writing

eclipse

My new kindergartener is getting ready to read, but has some fine motor delays. We've been working through ETC's "Get Ready for the Code" and also have "Get Set For the Code." He enjoys it, but there is a lot of letter forming and he really struggles with it. He does fine with circling correct letters and drawing lines to the letters to match a picture with it's begining sound, etc - so that sort of writing would be okay. I know they also have an online version of ETC, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. He already uses Starfall and Readingeggs, so I don't know if I want yet another online program. I looked at 100 Easy Lessons ages ago and it didn't really appeal to me.

We're with a charter school, and they have tons of different books and curricula that are outside their regular core curriculum, so I'm looking for lots of different suggestions. They can search all their libraries and I can check them all out if they have them. DS tends to be a visual learner and has a huge library of sight words in his head, but I think it's important to give him a good phonics foundation before he heads too far down that road.

Edited by eclipse

Phonics Pathways(I used this for my ds in 1st grade. It worked well for him, but he is a get it done kinda guy.)

Reading Made Easy(I'm using this with my dd, she is not yet 5, and this book is working great for her. I will use a little Phonics Pathways when she is done with it next year to cover anything RME doesn't.)

Because we started ETC a little early, we did the first 3 books (and the 3 Primers) with no writing at all. My son used his finger, and we did things orally, and I think that worked quite well.

Plus, I did not want to mix-up learning to read/phonics with learning handwriting, since I didn't want any frustrations with either skill to cross-contaminate the other.

Bill

Plus, I did not want to mix-up learning to read/phonics with learning handwriting, since I didn't want any frustrations with either skill to cross-contaminate the other.

Bill

:iagree:Very good point.

We used Phonics Pathways also with great success. We did do some copywork out of it but only because dd was writing well already. When I start PP with ds I will not ask him to write any of it.

We've used Teach your Child to Read in 100 EZ Lessons, Hooked on Phonics, and Word Mastery (available for free on Don Potter's website). We hit a roadblock on 100 Lessons a little less than halfway through, so we switched to HOP (which we got free from our library), and Word Mastery. We've mostly used HOP to supplement, and will be finishing up Word Mastery later this month.

Some other suggestions that don't require writing:

Using Webster's Speller for phonics (also on Don Potter's site)

Ordinary Parents' Guide to Teaching Reading

I would suggest looking at Reading Made Easy. It does have a set of workbooks, but they are optional....although, they are sooo cute and the activities have a lot of circling and matching; not much writing, and you could always skip the writing when there is any. Here's a couple of links so you can see samples (the first link has the samples to the right, in the blue box, there are a ton of great reviews there too).

http://valeriebendt.com/ReadingMadeEasy.aspx

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntt=reading+made+easy&N=0&Ntk=keywords&action=Search&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1

ETA: We have ETC online and I don't really care for it.

Headsprout is online and has no writing or typing.

Reading Reflex uses letter tiles instead of writing. I used magnetic letter tiles rather than tearing the pages out of my book and cutting them up.

http://www.amazon.com/Educational-Insights-1611-Magnetic-Alphabet/dp/B000F8V8BW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1284511588&sr=8-5

We started with Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading and at the beginning dd told me that was way too much talking. The scripted presentation was just too much for her.

We switched to Phonics Pathways and really liked it until we started sounding out the cvc words. My dd was overwhelmed by the amount of stuff on each page. She'd look at the page full or words and quit before she got started.

We switched back to Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading and she's done really, really well with it. I don't follow the entire script. That's too much talking for my dd. She needs things to move a bit faster.

Neither of those programs require writing. Either can work. I think the key is to be flexible and do what works for your dc.

If you really like ETC you can modify it so that he doesn't need to write so much. He could either use letter tiles or you could write for him.

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading requires no writing at all.

:iagree:

Before he could write, I had my son dictate his answers for me and I would write them. Now he's starting to write them himself. :)