Menu

How are all my fellow Newbies doing????

Ahhh.. Day 3...

Day 3 was not so good... Trying not to get frustrated here as I know we need to adjust and get into routine.. but " Did I make the right decision?" ran through my mind a billion times in the first hour! :confused:

We hit a few bumps today.. and Math was the biggest!

Im not going to "worry" to much yet.. I know we just started... But

Im wondering how all the other "New to Hs'ing moms" are doing??

Today is day 3 for us too! We've been easing in this week since we are still waiting on a lot of stuff. The school portion wasn't bad, but the baby spent the whole morning screaming, so dd and I had a hard time concentrating. We stopped for lunch, 3.5 hours ago and still haven't managed to start back. :p

This was supposed to be day 3 for us, but day 3 didn't happen. After the 2yo had a major potty situation that required taking a bath (I'll let you figure that one out), the 9yo got caught majorly breaking the rules, the 10yo made a huge mess and refused to clean it up, then the dog decided to jump into the tub before I emptied it after the 2yo's bath....yeah, school just wasn't going to happen. Friday is our scheduled "easy day" for things like appointments and field trips so we will just swap out today with tomorrow and make tomorrow our day 3.

I just keep telling myself we will have days like this and thankfully we homeschool so we can go with the flow and adjust as needed. There will be better days, there will be better days, there will be better days....:D

It's been going pretty well :) Today was day 6--------we spent almost 2 hr of history (Mesopotamia, discovery of Ur, lots of good books and a fabulous website), 30ish min on math (some tears due to review of decimals, booooooooring Mom!), 15ish min on grammar (done orally, still in review--she had very good grammar at her old school), and science took only 30 minutes. Tomorrow is a scheduled lab so I couldn't easily shift more science to today. Then she spent more than an hour sketching for fun (?!?!) and read for fun. It was a good day.

I had to adjust many plans this week. I am so grateful I read through that super-long filing thread this summer, because it forced me to think about how I should plan. Some days for some subjects I had to shift planned reading or problems from the next day to the current day. Other days for the same OR other subjects, I moved items from the current day to the next day.

I've been writing down on the planner pages exactly *how long* she/we spent on each subject. After I have a few more weeks of data, I should be able to plan further out. At least that's the plan :lol:

Hhhmmmm.... we are in week 4. Yesterday dd begged to go back to school. :( I get frustrated because things that should take 15 minutes take HOURS with her. Every day presents its own challenges. Some days "the goop" is causing trouble, other days it's dd with a bad attitude, other days it's ds challenging everything that we're learning. No regrets yet! But, it's a lesson in patience for me!

We are in week 4. Let's just say this whole endeavor has been anything but easy. Week 1 was a nightmare. Then I got lulled into this false sense of calm in weeks 2 & 3 only to have week 4 go into the toilet. DS had another major hour long meltdown this morning so nothing besides the destruction of my house and the testing of my patience got accomplished during that time. Both kids have been moving at a snails pace and (to borrow a term from one of my favorite blogs) I feel like I've been herding turtles all week.

I am frustrated. My beautiful 10 week schedule of lesson plans that I so painstakingly worked on for weeks is shot to hell because we can't seem to accomplish a days work in just one day. I am feeling frazzled, frustrated, completely scattered, and pretty much like a giant failure. :crying:

I am planning and impromptu field trip to a local hands on science museum tomorrow in hopes that it will be the change of scenery and pace that we need to relax and have a little fun.

I need to take about 50 of these :chillpill: and start anew next week.

WOW. I will pray it gets better for everyone! I am having such a wonderful time, I hope the same for all of you.

DO you think it is uncooperative kids, overscheduling, too high expectations? I am totally not being judgemental or anything, just trying to help find solutions. I am super relaxed and my 2 kids have not had meltdowns or tears. So far we are ahed of schedule and are getting to my "extras" But I only have a K4 (who is actually progressing fast and wants actual school, so i am pulling together some more stuff for him) and a 3rd grader

Edited by kwickimom
typos

This is our first week, and may not have been the best week to start. It's been kind of chaotic with lots of places to be and not having decent stretches of time to do our schooling. I've planned a pretty rigorous home curriculum with piano lessons, 2x week orchestra, First Lego League and a co-op class on Ancient Warfare in addition. I'm feeling pretty sure that between what I've planned at home and ds's outside activities I've overscheduled, so instead of freaking out about it I'm going to try to just relax and see how it goes. I'm reminding myself that on any given day there's more learning going on here than there would be in ps.

I'm enjoying teaching ds. Since he hates writing he dawdles and tries to distract me in conversation, but I went in expecting that and planned to gradually increase the amount of writing he does. And though I enjoy his company, I do appreciate it when my dh gets home and having a grownup to talk to instead of a child to coax.

This week has been so hectic, it's been like we've been racing through stuff instead of really sort of soaking it in, and I know that's got to change. When we slow down there will be time to for ds to actually get interested in what he's learning.

Next week life settles down to what will be normal and I'll have a better sense of what homeschooling really looks like for us.

Erp. Just remembered: That may not be true. Dh is having surgery next Thursday (meniscus repair), and we won't know what time until Tuesday. So we'll be at the hospital for a good chunk of Thursday. I guess that'll be workbook day. Of course ds and I will be home all day on Friday, but I have no idea how much babying the dh will require.

Lisa,

Mom to DS, 11

Lisa, we just scheduled MY dh's meniscus repair! His isn't an emergency situation but to correct a chronic problem, so I have until after Halloween to figure out what we'll do.

I took the advice of some of this board----I started the school year with just a few subjects, then added as we went. I also had the gift of time in that none of dd's extracurriculars (ballet 3x, Girl Scouts, the fun stuff we're doing with the local homeschooling group) start until tomorrow. Slow and steady :)

We have just finished Day 14 -- and overall, I love homeschooling.

I love being with the kids all the time! I am enjoying watching my ds6 learn to read and celebrating with ds8 when he could remember all 7 conjuctions. We have spent so much time outside -- making teepees, checking out the stream by our house, watching the construction crews get ready to lay new asphalt, and just playing.

It's great not to have to organize everyone to get the boys to school. I hated making school lunches... now we just have a nice lunch together. And we can go to meet other home schoolers at the park or the YMCA.

Of course, we are having our struggles. The first week my 1 year old was teething the entire week. When she teeths, she demands to be held. My three year old is struggling with not having as much one-on-one time with me. This equals screaming all through Bible story time and hitting his sister.

The hardest part has been the complaining and yelling by the boys when asked to do certain lessons. We have had some success in changing expectations, getting rid of certain workbooks, and doing some work in the evening when I am able to sit with them without the little ones looking for attention. Hopefully, this part will get easier as we develop routines!

But overall, it has been good. My husband has seen a difference in the kids... they play together so much better and are more relaxed. My mom has mentioned that I seem excited about each day and really am liking this new role. She is definitely right!

Today was Day 4 for us and we are having a BLAST, although very little has gone according to My Perfect Plan. (However, the photos on my blog make it LOOK perfect for my parents, and that's what counts. :D)

FYI, I work from home as an exec asst, so am on call 24/7. They know I homeschool.

Day 1: Nervous/excited. Went perfectly.

Day 2: Perfect again. Starting to feel a wee bit arrogant.

Day 3: Boss called in the a.m. Shoved workbooks at dd. Got around to the last two classes just before bedtime. Felt relieved and happy until I realized we forgot to do FLL.

Day 4: Up late, so slept late (for ds, that meant 7am, yay!). Somehow, though, that less time threw everything off; we didn't start until 11am. I have no idea now what I was doing before 11, except that I was busy. And this afternoon we had several unavoidable errands in the nearest city (40 minutes away). I think we finished school today, but I wouldn't be surprised if we missed something again....

Feeling humbled and a little bit embarrassed.

But still loving every minute.

WOW. I will pray it gets better for everyone! I am having such a wonderful time, I hope the same for all of you.

DO you think it is uncooperative kids, overscheduling, too high expectations? I am totally not being judgemental or anything, just trying to help find solutions. I am super relaxed and my 2 kids have not had meltdowns or tears. So far we are ahed of schedule and are getting to my "extras" But I only have a K4 (who is actually progressing fast and wants actual school, so i am pulling together some more stuff for him) and a 3rd grader

Our meltdown issues are one of the biggest reasons we're hsing. DS has some emotional and behavioral issues we're trying to help him through.

We are in week 4. Let's just say this whole endeavor has been anything but easy. Week 1 was a nightmare. Then I got lulled into this false sense of calm in weeks 2 & 3 only to have week 4 go into the toilet. DS had another major hour long meltdown this morning so nothing besides the destruction of my house and the testing of my patience got accomplished during that time. Both kids have been moving at a snails pace and (to borrow a term from one of my favorite blogs) I feel like I've been herding turtles all week.

I am frustrated. My beautiful 10 week schedule of lesson plans that I so painstakingly worked on for weeks is shot to hell because we can't seem to accomplish a days work in just one day. I am feeling frazzled, frustrated, completely scattered, and pretty much like a giant failure. :crying:

I am planning and impromptu field trip to a local hands on science museum tomorrow in hopes that it will be the change of scenery and pace that we need to relax and have a little fun.

I need to take about 50 of these :chillpill: and start anew next week.

:lol::lol:not laughing AT you, but seriously, I could have written this!!!!

Robin in NJ

We've had three days of school here, and I'd say it was a very successful first week. Our first day was cut short on both ends by appointments, but I think that kind of helped ease us in. We made it through math facts, a MEP math lesson, and some geography.

Our second day featured a lot of history. We're taking an online workshop on "Archaeology of Destroyed Cities" from the Lukeion Project, and we had to watch the first class and then participate in the second class - both Wednesday morning (we'd missed the first one and had to make it up). We also managed to do two MEP lessons, math facts, a very quick review of the geography we'd started the day before, and handwriting.

Today was our most successful day. We spent a couple hours this morning reading the first bit of Grammar Island. We then made a "grammar wall" in our school room. We put up the terms we learned in GI (noun, adjective, pronoun, article). Then we went walking around and found examples of nouns, wrote them on index cards and put them around "noun" on the wall. We did the same thing for adjectives, pronouns, and articles (minus the walking-around part for the latter two). Then we worked on the four practice sentences found in GI. After a lunch break, we went back to grammar for another few minutes. I gave DS instructions on how to jump for each type of word. Then when I called out a word, he'd jump to indicate it whether was a noun, pronoun, adjective, or article. We both had a lot of fun with all our grammar activities today! Then we did a couple of MEP lessons, and reviewed geography. All in all, it was a fun, successful day.

I think we're off to a great start, and I'm looking forward to next week already! I'm going to make up a grammar bingo game for him to do on Monday to follow up on our work today.

I'm sorry that some of you are having such hard starts. I hope that you can all find your rhythms soon!

Week one... I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. Overwhelmed... too much to do, etc. This is a busy fall for us anyways, but suddenly adding school into the mix really threw me for a loop. Week 2 was better. This week has been great. I'm hoping it just took a while to get into the routine... and used to the idea. It slightly freaked me out to not actually send her to school. I'm getting used to the idea, though. :001_smile:

Well it might be because I rarely have a grand plan or get uptight, but we're not doing badly. We haven't done much math or grammar yet, but it's all good. Of course, my planned-to-the-minute sister shot me dirty "you're being neglectful" looks when I mentioned that. We *did* finally start grammar & math this week. Finally. We still need to add spelling & writing. And art. And music. And PE...... Maybe throw a foreign language in there

Edited by dansamy

Week one... I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. Overwhelmed... too much to do, etc. This is a busy fall for us anyways, but suddenly adding school into the mix really threw me for a loop. Week 2 was better. This week has been great. I'm hoping it just took a while to get into the routine... and used to the idea. It slightly freaked me out to not actually send her to school. I'm getting used to the idea, though. :001_smile:

Glad Im not the only one..busy busy & then throwing this all new HS thing into the mix! haha I have a little anxiety when the school bus goes by in the morning. But heres to better week starting monday! :D

Whew, reading this is a relief!

We are on week 4 of 1st grade - and have been going at it all slow and steady. Kind of like our pet turtles.

Next week will be our first week doing all subjects, so I am feeling some anxiety there, but hoping that keeping the lessons short and sweet will help.

Thanks for the encouragement here.

We are on day negative 9, or negative 23, depending on when we decide to start. :D We were planning on starting on Oct 4th, but now I want to start on Sept 20th because DD is chomping at the bit to get into all the new books, AND I've been planning our US history and I want to get through Native Americans, Vikings, early settlers, colonial life, and Pilgrims before Thanksgiving.

So we are doing pretty good. lol. Today we had soccer (PE!) and library (Language Arts!!). :tongue_smilie:

I'm frustrated. We just finished week 3 and I just feel like it isn't the way I wanted it to go. I feel like we are getting math done way too fast, they are resisting dictation and copywork so I am skipping some of the lessons in WWE. They do enjoy SOTW and all the stuff I am able to pull in but I am feeling like maybe they aren't really retaining? But should I even care since the SOTW cycles back around? That is the point, right? They keep stopping for drinks, the bathroom, snacks, fighting.....argh! I realize that this is new to them and me but it is making me nuts. Then I have the comments from my friends. Most recently DD(10) told me that she HAS to go to middle school, according to my friend, because she needs to be a cheerleader with her daughter. SERIOUSLY? We don't do football or cheerleading PERIOD. How's that for a great reason to HAVE to go to middle school? Right up there with wanting to ride the bus, buy lunch in the lunch line, and best of all....have boyfriends. :glare:

Guest CarolineUK

Originally posted by Kwickimom

Do you use the expression 'tempting fate' in the US? :tongue_smilie:

You are right about the need for being super relaxed though. I've had some of my worst days when I've been over-psyched up to achieve too much too perfectly, and some of our best days have been those following such bad days when I've all but given up and aimed to just get through as happily as possible.

We're just starting our second year of homeschooling and so far it's been horrendous. At the end of last year everyone was calm and happy, but this past week DS3 has turned into a monster, DS6 wants to go back to school and DS9 has developed even more new strategies to help him skive. I need to work out a new battle plan. :001_rolleyes: