Menu

Ack! So I made my crock pot beef stew and...help!

Keeping in mind I am not yet a crock pot expert! This morning I asked for some help throwing some things into my crockpot for dinner. Here's what went in

1. beef cubes (these taste stringy, unfortunately)

2. garlic powder

3. onions

4. carrot

5. chicken stock (out of beef stock-maybe this was my error??)

6. crushed tomatoes

7. bay leaf

8. potatoes

9. worcestshire sauce (a few dashes after tasting it time #1)

10. olive oil (again, a bit after tasting it time #2)

I just tasted it and um.....:confused: It just tastes MEH. What can I add to help it? Dinner is in 45 minutes...This is my second crock pot dish that tastes not so great. I need somethnig to make it YUMMY and quick! :tongue_smilie: I don't have any "cream of" soups, and I'd rather not add them anyway.

ETA: Doing some searching, I feel like I ALMOST made this recipe but I didn't put in the grape jelly...maybe I should add grape jelly? Is that so weird it might work?

Edited by Halcyon

I'm not sure using chicken stock rather than beef should have been a big deal - I use whatever I have on hand.

At this point, I'd try the Italian seasoning, as suggested, as well as S&P - maybe a little crushed red pepper?

Saute your dried seasonings in a bit of olive oil before you dump them in. I find this really helps render the flavors.

Other than that...I'm not sure why it wouldn't be very tasty? I'm no great cook, though. ;)

ETA: I noticed all the recommendations for red wine or red wine vinegar...I agree - that will generate a rich flavor.

Good luck!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Perfect! An excuse to open a bottle of red before DH gets home :001_smile:

Yes, and the red wine will make the stew taste better...one way or another. :lol:

I do think 45 minutes on high will be long enough to burn off the alcohol. The extra time could also improve the meat's texture. :001_smile:

I was going to suggest the red wine, but I wasn't sure 45 minutes was enough cook time to cook off the alcohol in a slow cooker.

I'll put it on high for a bit. I always seem to overcook the meat, although everyone says that's impossible (or nearly) in a slow cooker. :confused: But it's worth a try. It seems very....tomato-ey right now.

Yes, and the red wine will make the stew taste better...one way or another. :lol:

I do think 45 minutes on high will be long enough to burn off the alcohol. The extra time could also improve the meat's texture. :001_smile:

Okay, so maybe it's not OVERcooked, but rather UNDERcooked. Hmmm. I am mostly vegetarian (cook meat for the boys but don't eat much myself) and clearly cooking meat is not my forte.

If it is a little tomato-y in flavor, sometimes a tablespoon of sugar will help. It is what Italian friends of ours use in all tomato-y foods and it cuts the acid as well. You won't taste the sugar, but you won't notice the tomato as much most likely. If you are using a sweet red wine that may work as well.

Edited by Dobela
spelling

If it is a little tomato-y in flavor, sometimes a tablespoon of sugar will help. It is what Italian friends of ours use in all tomato-y foods and it cuts the acid as well. You won't taste the sugar, but you won't notice the tomato as much most likely. If you are using a sweet red wine that may work as well.

Thank you everyone! I'll just keep adding everything in the cupboard LOL.

Keeping in mind I am not yet a crock pot expert! This morning I asked for some help throwing some things into my crockpot for dinner. Here's what went in

1. beef cubes (these taste stringy, unfortunately)

2. garlic powder

3. onions

4. carrot

5. chicken stock (out of beef stock-maybe this was my error??)

6. crushed tomatoes

7. bay leaf

8. potatoes

9. worcestshire sauce (a few dashes after tasting it time #1)

10. olive oil (again, a bit after tasting it time #2)

I just tasted it and um.....:confused: It just tastes MEH. What can I add to help it? Dinner is in 45 minutes...This is my second crock pot dish that tastes not so great. I need somethnig to make it YUMMY and quick! :tongue_smilie: I don't have any "cream of" soups, and I'd rather not add them anyway.

ETA: Doing some searching, I feel like I ALMOST made this recipe but I didn't put in the grape jelly...maybe I should add grape jelly? Is that so weird it might work?

salt and pepper. Simple, but it does wonder to bring out flavour. Just don't go overboard. Add a little. Taste. Add more if you need it.

Did anyone say Worcestershire sauce? I always add that and a little soy sauce if you haven't slated already. Goes with the red wine too or the balsamic vinegar. I'd add cayenne myself but most folks like it less hot....

:iagree:

I love that stuff! I even add it when the recipe doesn't call for it. :D

Must be a crock pot stew kind of day--we have crock pot venison stew tonight.

The recipe I used called for cloves. I know I've never used cloves before and the jar was in the cabinet unopened. It added something interesting to the flavor and I'll definitely be doing that again.