Menu

WWYD? - Homeschool co-op issue

I guess this qualifies as a vent, but I would like to hear your opinions.

I volunteered to organize field trips for our co-op. It's a position I took last year and, historically, long before I joined the co-op, the trips have been scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd Friday of each month.

So...I organized trips for Sept, Oct, and Nov, for Fridays. NOW I'm hearing that Friday is not going to work for the majority of the members, but Monday would be better.

OK - except that I planned my own kids' extracurriculars based on Friday field trips. So it looks like, in order to satisfy the group, we won't be able to attend a majority of the trips!

It's kinda zapped the joy out of the process, for me. Am I just being too proud? I'm thinking I need to honor my commitment to the group and remain in this position, even though we won't be able to go on the trips.

Would it be dishonorable of me to bow out and ask for someone else to step up? The problem I see with me setting up the trips and not going, is that many of the sites require a contact point person. I could, of course, require a point person for each trip I won't be able to attend but, pffft, do I need that hassle?

I'm just a little miffed. Thanks for listening. :)

Can you poll the group and try to figure out a third day that would be better for them than Friday, but that would still work for you?

Otherwise, just tell the group organizer the truth- that you wanted to do it because you looked forward to scheduling fun field trips that your family would get to participate in but that if the group is going to switch to wanting field trips on days you can't even go, you're going to have to decline as it would be too time consuming for something you can't even be involved with.

Thanks, Nancy. I did a poll, but didn't give choices beyond Monday and Friday, because, really, Friday is the only day that works for me.

The poll is still active, but it looks like Monday is winning, so far, with a few entries for 'no preference.' (I'll take that as Friday, thank you. :D)

Can you poll the group and try to figure out a third day that would be better for them than Friday, but that would still work for you?

Otherwise, just tell the group organizer the truth- that you wanted to do it because you looked forward to scheduling fun field trips that your family would get to participate in but that if the group is going to switch to wanting field trips on days you can't even go, you're going to have to decline as it would be too time consuming for something you can't even be involved with.

:iagree:

You made the arrangements based on what the group has always done in the past; if they've changed their minds about the day, and you can't find a day that works for you and the rest of the group, then they need to find another organizer who is free on Mondays. And you don't need to feel remotely guilty about that.

ETA: Can you keep the three Friday fieldtrips you've already organized, and then let someone else take over to organize Monday trips for the rest of the year?

Jackie

First rule of volunteering - it has to work for your own family.

Bow out (nicely). You can't do the job as well if you're not on-site day-of-show. Other moms will understand. You do NOT need this hassle. And next year, suggest that each of, say, 8 families schedule ONE field trip, to share the load.

If a few compatible families can do Fridays, do go ahead and offer what you've already planned, even if you do so outside of the formal group structure, because it's what your family needs.

hmmmm... here's a middle ground solution ...

could you keep the friday ones you have scheduled, and ask if there is a monday person who could organize monday field trips? then, there would be two field trip leaders. if someone comes forward, great. if not, then fridays only would be what happened until someone stepped up to be the monday person. its amazing how available some folks become when their second choice of day becomes their only choice... and if not, and it goes the other way, then you can bow out gracefully because there aren't enough people free on "your" day.

fwiw,

ann

When I helped to run our homeschool group, the only guideline I gave to the person scheduling our field trips...was to make it work for her.

Being a Field Trip Coordinator is hard work. I did not want the job again (I had done it for years), so I figured if I kept her happy, it would benefit all of us. I would not let anyone try to dictate anything to the coordinator. If it did not work for some people...sorry hope you can make it to the next one....OR they were more than welcome to set up a trip themselves.

I would just continue to do what works best for you. If they want to participate, they will figure out a way.

First rule of volunteering - it has to work for your own family.

Bow out (nicely). You can't do the job as well if you're not on-site day-of-show. Other moms will understand. You do NOT need this hassle. And next year, suggest that each of, say, 8 families schedule ONE field trip, to share the load.

If a few compatible families can do Fridays, do go ahead and offer what you've already planned, even if you do so outside of the formal group structure, because it's what your family needs.

Pauline, whenever I see you pop in on here, I feel like I just spotted a minor celebrity or something haha.

You have NO IDEA how helpful your site was to me when I first started homeschooling! :D

C

:iagree: And that to be coordinator, you have to be there, as you mentioned. Don't feel guilty, it is reasonable. You might find that most people "suddenly" find they can to it on Friday rather than shoulder the burden.

I would go with speaking with the group organizer and bowing out. If someone steps up to be the field trip organizer, let her set up the appointments through her own name. Then see if any of your original field trip appointments can be attended by just a few kids. And you guys go as a family.

I haven't read the other replies BUT

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

robin in nj

I say kiss 'em good bye. There's still enough time to get someone else in there to organize field trips, and if the leaders can't find anyone else, well, such is life.

My favorite field-trip-planning strategy was to have a field trip-planning day; whoever comes does the planning--no one organizes more than two field trips--and if no one comes, there are no field trips. I like that better than just requiring members to organize field trips on their own.

Wow. You took the job. You are doing the job. You have field trips scheduled. Sounds like you are jumping in and doing it well! You won't be able to make everyone happy, and that's okay.

Do you want to continue scheduling field trips? If so, then keep doing it on the best days for you. As someone else said, the one scheduling field trips gets to schedule on days and times best for her family. That's you, and you went with the traditional day as well. You didn't do anything wrong and don't need to feel bad or change the field trips already scheduled. Many people may prefer another day, but will probably make the day you are using work for them. But that's their choice.

If you don't want to continue scheduling field trips, then you can give up the job and let people know you are not available on the day most people want used for field trips, and suggest that someone else who is available that day take on the job. My guess is that no one else will step up.

Really, there will always be someone unhappy with the day or time or cost or age of participants or restrictions or...or....or..... Do the best you can to schedule field trips, and let others decide whether or not they will participate. I did field trips for many, many years. The best way our group found was to have one person coordinate a calendar, and anyone who wanted to schedule a field trip would check to be sure the date was open, and would schedule it. That way no one person was an official field trip coordinator. True, there were a couple of us who scheduled most the field trips and most people never scheduled any, but we sure had a lot of fun, and the people who complained usually participated anyway.

Try to enjoy your year! There are so many fun field trip opportunities to plan!

When I helped to run our homeschool group, the only guideline I gave to the person scheduling our field trips...was to make it work for her.

Being a Field Trip Coordinator is hard work. I did not want the job again (I had done it for years), so I figured if I kept her happy, it would benefit all of us. I would not let anyone try to dictate anything to the coordinator. If it did not work for some people...sorry hope you can make it to the next one....OR they were more than welcome to set up a trip themselves.

I would just continue to do what works best for you. If they want to participate, they will figure out a way.

Our field trip coordinator has a guideline -- schedule the field how it WORKS FOR YOUR SCHEDULE. If other hs moms can't attend... too bad. There will always be another field trip. I say go ahead with your plans and even if you have 2-4 families joining you, that's great. I've coordinated field trips for small groups and large (75+ kids). I like the small groups best. HTH

ETA: There will always be moms complaining. I used to tell them they were welcome to coordinate their own field trip if they didn't like how I was coordinating mine. It usually shut them up quick. Aaaaaauuuugh. I feel your pain.

<waves to NanceXToo>

I once belonged to a homeschool group that had only one rule - that each family had to organize *something*, field trip or event, once a year. It was completely up to each family what they wanted to organize, when they scheduled it, etc. If you were interested, you could go, if not, then no problem. (I think one family did a newsletter or something instead of a trip.) It was a good rule for the size of the group, and we had a wide variety of events because of the variety of people who planned them. A very low-key, low-stress group. Doesn't work for every group, of course, but a neat idea.

Also, once you've organized something yourself, if you go on someone else's trip you have a lot more respect for the organizer and her time/money. This kind of "cross-training" experience can really strengthen a group - everyone learns how to organize an event (so you're not relying on one person to do it all), and everyone cuts the organizer a break when things don't turn out perfectly. And, even though I organize a ton of field trips each year, I *love* going on field trips when I'm not the organizer!

It *can* be a difficult year if your "field trip day" doesn't match your friends', but it can also be an opportunity to reach outside your group and meet new people, or do things on a smaller scale with one or two other families rather than a whole entourage of kids.

Thanks for all the input! It helps to hear that it's reasonable for me to step down if it's not working for our family.

I think I'll keep the ones I've already scheduled, which will take us through the semester, and suggest someone else take Monday trips for the Spring (or start a Monday FT schedule, now). I'm certain there will be a small group of families that will join us and, yes, I like small groups better, anyway.

Last year I collected field trip ideas from everyone and compiled a master list, then got volunteers to take one per month to organize. The co-op board had established a "2nd Friday" guideline so that members had a predictable schedule for planning. Problem was, nearly all the trips never got organized, because the person who said she'd take it dropped the ball, or started planning too late and couldn't make it work. So, this year, I said I'd do the whole job, because I know I'll get it done (probably why I was never a great manager, unable to delegate well).

Organizing the field trips is not the hard part. Herding the cats is the real job! :)

I guess this qualifies as a vent, but I would like to hear your opinions.

I volunteered to organize field trips for our co-op. It's a position I took last year and, historically, long before I joined the co-op, the trips have been scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd Friday of each month.

So...I organized trips for Sept, Oct, and Nov, for Fridays. NOW I'm hearing that Friday is not going to work for the majority of the members, but Monday would be better.

OK - except that I planned my own kids' extracurriculars based on Friday field trips. So it looks like, in order to satisfy the group, we won't be able to attend a majority of the trips!

It's kinda zapped the joy out of the process, for me. Am I just being too proud? I'm thinking I need to honor my commitment to the group and remain in this position, even though we won't be able to go on the trips.

Would it be dishonorable of me to bow out and ask for someone else to step up? The problem I see with me setting up the trips and not going, is that many of the sites require a contact point person. I could, of course, require a point person for each trip I won't be able to attend but, pffft, do I need that hassle?

I'm just a little miffed. Thanks for listening. :)

I've come to think that having too many options allows people to be wishy washy or wait to make commitments. If there is a special concert or play or other performance, then it is on one or two dates. You decide if you can go or not and then get tickets, etc.

I would use the same approach to homeschool field trips. The organizer decides when it will be. They can do this well in advance or announce pop up opportunities. So it would be given out with a time, date, cost and transportation info. Then families say yes or no, by a particular deadline. At that date, the organizer knows if they have enough people or not and moves forward. If there aren't enough people for a group visit, you just say so and move on.

Stop trying to suit everyone. You can't. We are all too busy. The date that works for some families is a non-starter for others.

Encourage as many people to send out join up invites as possible. They will become the farm team for future outings. Don't be afraid to say no. As in, no the field trip is full, no there wasn't enough interest for a group outing or no the deadline for signupspayment is past. Of course people will be disappointed. But it will encourage them to make decisions next time rather than waiting until right before the event.

If lots of other families want to have Monday trips, I would encourage them to plan Monday trips. Sounds like a great idea. As long as they realize that you can't attend and won't be the organizer for those particular trips, so someone else will need to step up.

Stop trying to suit everyone. You can't. We are all too busy. The date that works for some families is a non-starter for others.

Thanks, Sebastian, for all your suggestions, but especially this bit of wisdom. I'm, by nature, a people pleaser and it really is hard for me to not "include" everyone. The older I get, the easier it is...but I still have momentary lapses when I forget I can't make the world happy.

:)

A coop I was involved in never asked what day was best for the members. One trip per month was organized and you made it or didn't. The members had to organize their lives around the trip.

That said-members were given much advanced notice to enable them to plan around such a fixed date, there may have been a minimum number needed due to transportation or group rates (trip canceled if minimum not met by a certain date) and there was a maximum number of attendees based on first RSVP gets priority.

A coop I was involved in never asked what day was best for the members. One trip per month was organized and you made it or didn't. The members had to organize their lives around the trip.

That said-members were given much advanced notice to enable them to plan around such a fixed date, there may have been a minimum number needed due to transportation or group rates (trip canceled if minimum not met by a certain date) and there was a maximum number of attendees based on first RSVP gets priority.

:) Yes, that was the intent of making a specific day of the month (3rd Friday) a field trip day - so that families would know in advance and could plan. Last year I laid out the entire school-year's venues on the calendar so folks could plan accordingly based on their interests.

If it had only been 1 or 2 familes that balked about Fridays, I'd have pretty much ignored it. When it became more than 1/2 of the families, I realized we might need to work something out that better suits the majority of the group. And the solution may require that I step down.

Anyhoo - It is a great group of families and I'm sure we'll be able to work something out...we have lots of options and all of you Hive ladies have helped me think outside my own little box of possibilities.