Menu

Your top Shakespeare picks

Macbeth

Hamlet

Midsummer Night's Dream

Henry V (I know you said 2 comedies, but I'd do a history instead)

Those happen to be the four I'm planning to do next year — Macbeth, Hamlet, and Henry V because they fit into the Middle Ages well (and appeal to boys), and Midsummer just because it's my favorite and it's so funny and I can totally see the kids acting it out. :D

If this is for your DD and she hasn't done Romeo & Juliet, I would sub that one for Hamlet. (Or you could sub it for Macbeth, but I really love Macbeth, so I would sub it for Hamlet.)

Jackie

It's for both kids. Can you believe that she has only covered Romeo and Juliet in 3 years of high school? I was thinking of all of the ones you mentioned except Henry. I love Taming of the Shrew but wasn't sure what the Dude would think of it. Our Shakespearean festival's 2011 picks are Measure for Measure and Love's Labor Lost. I wish I had thought about it for the 2010 season because this year was their 75th anniversary and the selection was excellent.

I am going to reacquaint myself with Henry V starting this afternoon since it's shown up several times. I don't think 5 Shakespeare plays will hurt us.;) The jury is still out between King Lear and Hamlet. You know of course if I order 6-7 plays then I won't have to make a decision just yet.:D Asmimov's Guide to Shakespeare is on its way and then when I've made my decision, I'll purchase the individual plays in the Oxford Series. My college versions were used when I bought them and dd wil need clean copies if she decides to annotate. Henry V will have to be read from the way-too-big volume of the Globe's Shakespeare this afternoon. I have no idea how that and the cat are going to fit on my lap.:tongue_smilie:

I'd go for Henry V, Macbeth,Much Ado and Taming the Shrew....no I wasn't trying to rhyme...but it's rather appropriate. ;)

And I would definitely through in the video of Kenneth Brannaugh on Henry V and E. Taylor's Shrew....and even if it adds number 5 I'd watch the old Hamlet with Jacobi in it.

Bill Bryson has a book on Shakespeare -- everything is better with Bill Bryson! I know you ordered the Asimov book already, but I have to plug Bill.

The movie Shakespeare in Love is a fun addition on the side. There is one bedroom scene which may make the movie inappropriate for some families. If you are a Doctor Who fan there was a funny Shakespeare episode with David Tennant as the Doctor.

My kids hated, I mean HATED Henry V! Don't know if it was something I did wrong or what!

This fall we're doing Macbeth and Hamlet and revisiting Midsummer's Night Dream, all of which seem to be on everyone's list. My boys, granted when they were younger boys, really liked Comedy of Errors. They liked the absurdity of it. Much Ado About Nothing, especially with the good film version to watch, is another good comedy to consider.

Last year we read The Tempest, reading along while listening to a recording of the play. It was a terrific way to go through a first reading, and I'll probably do that again.

This year we are doing Hamlet, Macbeth, and Henry V to go along with our Medieval studies. We had a blast last year doing Taming of the Shrew. We found several movie versions and enjoyed them. We also did the Tempest last year. If you have to have two comedies and haven't done Taming of the Shrew, I would say do that one and Midsummer Night's Dream.

Lisa,

I think my other post on this got eaten, but apologies if this is a double.

These guys have 2 Shakespeare plays this season. I haven't seen anything there but my kids have taken acting lessons in the building, which is how I know about them.

http://www.nwctc.org/

These guys have classics (O'Neill, Chekov) but not Shakespeare:

http://www.artistsrep.org/onstage.aspx

Portland Center Stage has an Iliad!

http://www.pcs.org/current-season/

but alas no Shakespeare for you.

Can you tell I'm waiting for my kids to be old enough to do all this stuff with me?

Emily, this is awesome! Guess what is on the agenda for this weekend?:D

Not sure if you made your choice yet, but if you go with Taming of the Shrew, 10 Things I Hate About You is a modern remake of that. Taming of the Shrew and Much Ado About Nothing are my favorite comedies. I too enjoyed Henry V and Kenneth Brannagh's version is great. You can't go wrong with Hamlet and Macbeth. Julius Ceaser isn't bad either.

I can't believe only one play has been read. By the time I graduated high school, we must have read a dozen. (Too many my senior year to even remember.) I wonder how DS would do reading some Shakespere.

Not sure if you made your choice yet, but if you go with Taming of the Shrew, 10 Things I Hate About You is a modern remake of that. Taming of the Shrew and Much Ado About Nothing are my favorite comedies. I too enjoyed Henry V and Kenneth Brannagh's version is great. You can't go wrong with Hamlet and Macbeth. Julius Ceaser isn't bad either.

I can't believe only one play has been read. By the time I graduated high school, we must have read a dozen. (Too many my senior year to even remember.) I wonder how DS would do reading some Shakespere.

I definitely need to check out Brannagh's version of Henry V, especially since the play has received almost universal support here. One Shakespeare play is a bit appalling which explains why my poor girl is positively excited about reading The Iliad, Antigone, The Canterbury Tales, and more this year. I hope I can match her expectations.:tongue_smilie:

I definitely need to check out Brannagh's version of Henry V, especially since the play has received almost universal support here. One Shakespeare play is a bit appalling which explains why my poor girl is positively excited about reading The Iliad, Antigone, The Canterbury Tales, and more this year. I hope I can match her expectations.:tongue_smilie:

Hope you can get it all in. We're going to tackle Iliad this year too and prossibly Beowulf. I'm very excited by what DS has been able to read the past year and have enjoyed the ride along.

All the Henry plays (Richard II, Henry IV parts 1 and 2, Henry V) these give the whole arc of government, loyalty, policy, honesty, war, etc. They were a revelation to me in college. Then King Lear. Great to read with Pride and Prejudice!!! I'd have the student look at synopses of the comedies and pick the one that sounds like the most fun.

There are a number of threads that are tagged 'Shakespeare'. You can click on the tag below to see them.

Have fun picking!

Regards,

Kareni

"Have fun picking," Kareni says.:tongue_smilie: I feel like the flat squirrel on the highway of life. School starts Tuesday. But unlike the squirrel, I have glorious choices. I have to remind myself that we are technically doing a World Literature Survey, not a Shakespeare survey.

"Have fun picking," Kareni says.:tongue_smilie: I feel like the flat squirrel on the highway of life. School starts Tuesday. But unlike the squirrel, I have glorious choices. I have to remind myself that we are technically doing a World Literature Survey, not a Shakespeare survey.

So, would this be you, Lisa?

Would your daughter be willing to cast her own vote? Perhaps you could have her read some short synopses of the plays ....

I appreciate the challenges of having so much choice; however, I'd rather have many choices than none! So, have fun picking!

Regards,

Kareni