Menu

need advice on panic/anxiety help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been having panic attcks for almost a week. I don't know whta to do. My mom gave me a bit of xanax which helps, but makes me sleepy AND is addictive.

I'm thinking of trying to go to the doctor to see about an antidepressent and something similar to xanax, like valiun or klonopin.

Does wnyone have experience with anxiety disorders??? HELP

I'm nausated, lost 10 pounds, can't eat, thirsty, thirsty thirsty, feel like adrenline coursing through me and PANICKED.

I have to homeschool my kids, and I can barely function. To add insult to injury, my son (who is in therapy for anxiety) seems to feed off of my emaotions and is having a hard time also.

What do you/have you taken to anxiety disorder? Looking back, I can see that this has been building for a few months, but I didn't realize it.

Thanks.

Chrisitna

First of all, you're right - those meds are very addictive and should only be taken under the supervision of a doctor. You should see you doc. Until then:

*Cut out all stimlulants in your diet - including soda, caffeine, chocolate, etc

*Try to get a full nights sleep - you may want to try something natural like Melatonin to help you rest

*When you feel the panic attack coming on, recognize it for what it is and do not make the anxiety worse by thinking it is a serious medical condition. Remember that you will come out of it.

Every above plus a few more

Diet - as well as removing stimulants stay away from sugar highs and lows. They can make the panic worse (highs) and the sleepies from the meds worse (lows). Stick with protein, complex carbs, a decent amount of good fats (avocado, nuts, olive oil) and plenty of veggies.

Meds - there are plenty of medicines to choose from, many better than Xanax. You may need to have a very frank discussion with your doctor about lifestyle, other medical concerns and what kinds of side effects you will be able to tolerate. Also, you may have to try several meds before finding one that works for you. You may have to experiment with dosage also. ALWAYS UNDER SUPERVISION. I cannot emphasize that enough. Pay careful attention to the dosage instructions, particularly when you are coming off one and going on another medication.

Exercise - can be a powerful as medication. I did best with long sessions of relatively active but not intense exercise. Mowing the lawn, a long walk, laps in the pools....everyday whether you feel like it or not! Skip TV, internet, get Dh to be "Mom" in the evenings so you can exercise.... even go school lite but get that exercise.

Yoga- I know there can be people with hesitations about the "theology" of this form of exercise, but learning how to listen to your body, align your body, strengthen your body, and learning to quiet the endless inner voice of panic are very, very good skills. Find a qualified teacher in Hatha Yoga or Iyengar Yoga....and remember what you choose to think about during the meditation time of class is your choice.

Edited by Anne Rittenhouse

Please don't take your mom's Xanax. That's a bad idea.

Please call to get an immediate appointment with your doctor, or with a psychiatrist if your insurance lets you do that without going through primary care. If you haven't had anxiety problems before it's important to be evaluated to look for a potential medical cause.

I took Prozac for postpartum anxiety disorder and it turned me back into a normal person. A number of antidepressants are effective for anxiety.

I don't recommend drugs like Xanax and Valium because you can have rebound panic attacks when you try to come off them.

There are also highly effective psychotherapies for anxiety. It might make good sense to get on an antidepressant and then look for a cognitive or cognitive-behavioral therapist who can teach you coping strategies to help you head off panic attacks.

Go see a doctor. There are a number of drugs you can take that will reduce the anxiety over the long term. Xanax is just for use when you are in a full mode over the top anxiety attack. With the right medication and learning the triggers for your anxiety, it is a very manageable problem.

Have your thyroid checked. My son suffered terrible panic attacks for two years before we found out they were caused/ exacerbated by hypothyroidism. Since he's been on synthroid, he hasn't had one...knock on wood!

My daughter, 4 years younger then he, started having mild panic attacks and we got her checked. Yup, no thyroid funtion. She's on synthroid now too.

Thanks and keep the replies coming!! I don't have insurance, so getting in with a doctor could take a LONG time.

I took prozac as a teen before it went generic. It was great. When I tried it again, it was generic and gave me nothing but side effect. blah.

I did just take a flexerile last night to sleep, but woke up at three and have been up since.

Thanks for the help. This is so scarey.

I have had anxiety/panic attacks for years now. I have lorazepam that I take as needed, but I highly recommend that you try to nip this in the bud. It is no fun long term!

I have a book by Dr. Claire Weekes which has been helpful. It's called Hope and Help for Your Nerves. There are also CDs that she did. There's something very calming and reassuring about her voice (she was Australian).

Hope this passes soon for you,

Cindy

Thanks. I'm looking into the CDs. From what I am reading, it appears that I had an actual nervous breakdown. There is SO much disagreement on the web as to effetive meds for this.

I have had anxiety/worry all my llife, but it never "took over" before. I've dealt with a ton of super-stressful situations, and although the past few months have been stressful, I am dumbfounded as to how this has happened NOw as opposed to when mMAJOr horrible stuff happened.

Anyone take any meds that have proven helpful? You can PM me if you don't want to post.

thanks

I have had anxiety/worry all my llife, but it never "took over" before. I've dealt with a ton of super-stressful situations, and although the past few months have been stressful, I am dumbfounded as to how this has happened NOw as opposed to when mMAJOr horrible stuff happened.

Anyone take any meds that have proven helpful? You can PM me if you don't want to post.

thanks

That's exactly what happened to me! I started having panic attacks "out of the blue" about 19 months ago. However, once I got into counselling I can see that they were building over a couple of years and my body just rebelled against my normal coping techniques and broke out in panic.

I talked to my primary doctor about it. At first she gave me a low dose xanax which didn't help me with my panic. I actually ended up in the ER with one episode and they gave me a 1mg. shot of ativan and it worked so well. I talked to my dr. and she prescribed that instead of the xanax. I start with .5mg when I feel panic setting in. If it doesn't help in 20 minutes, I take another .5mg and that almost always stops it.

In June, they started getting much, much more frequent and intense so my counselor and I decided it was time for me to pursue daily medication. I was started on 25mg. of zoloft per day (I still have the ativan to use as needed) and I have seen great improvement on that dosage. In fact, I've only had one panic attack in the three weeks I've been on it. I had been having at least three a week before that.

I also agree with the lifestyle changes and seeing if there is a medical reason why you are having them.

Here's a :grouphug:! I know how horrible this is!

I cannot be of much help, but I am there with you!!! I went to my dr and am on an anti-anxiet/anti-depressant to help get my base line up. On top of that I have xanax to use as my anxiety fire extinguisher. Truthfully, though I know this combo isn't working...so I have to go back in!!!

What is difficult for me is that going to the dr triggers my anxiety and panic attacks! So I've made my appointments twice and cancelled twice! I know I need to go in, but I don't want to!

I'm a little nervous about your continued questions about which meds people recommend, given that you say you can't get in to see a doctor and you've been taking meds that belong to other people (Xanax) and meds that aren't appropriate for your condition (Flexaril).

Self-medicating like this is harmful and dangerous. It is not going to make you better, and is very likely to make you worse.

If you are willing to PM your location, I will research options for low- or no-cost mental health care. It is very important that you get competent help for your anxiety.

Oh, I agree. I missed that. Get yourself on a waiting list to be seen at the very least. There are lots of issues with all of these drugs. Self-medicating is a form of drug abuse. Don't kid yourself.

I'm a little nervous about your continued questions about which meds people recommend, given that you say you can't get in to see a doctor and you've been taking meds that belong to other people (Xanax) and meds that aren't appropriate for your condition (Flexaril).

Self-medicating like this is harmful and dangerous. It is not going to make you better, and is very likely to make you worse.

If you are willing to PM your location, I will research options for low- or no-cost mental health care. It is very important that you get competent help for your anxiety.