Menu

I feel silly...a question about pre-history?

simka2

Both!

Or... it could depend on your focus. You could emphasize the science - the big bang, the evolution of life on earth, the various species, the mass extinctions, the early hominids. Or you could emphasize the history - what life was like for early man, the interactions between early homo sapiens and Neanderthals, the early migrations, the move from hunter gatherers to agriculture...

Or... it could just be wherever you fit it in.

Or... you could decide it's just worth learning about and not worry about where it fits.

I did a bit of it in K before we started SOTW 1 (as part of a broad basics--intro to holidays, some basic American history, etc). The big bang, formation of the earth, etc, was part of earth/space science, dino/mammal/etc were part of biology when we talked about animals.

This time around (between 4th and 5th), I've gone more in depth on hominid evolution as a summer study leading into the Ancients. We've enjoyed several movies and documentaries from Netflix on the topic, as well as a number of books, a field trip to a local natural history museum with a nice display on prehistory, etc. For the summer, I've counted it as a combination of science and history/social studies.

Technically, pre-history isn't actually history. History is defined as the study of the written record. So - IMHO, it's science.

While I agree that BB and origins of the universe and life on Earth is definitely in the camp of science, I'm not so sure such an exact line can be drawn when it comes to the evolution of the human species and mark history only events that followed the beginning of written record. Our textbooks included some things before that event that deal with the evolution of humans, places where ancestors of modern men were found, etc. Those were short units, without getting too technical, but I believe they can be grouped with history too, not only science.

Generally, though, I agree with your division.

Personally, I don't consider it history until there are humans involved. :) So I do Big Bang/dinosaurs/evolution as part of science, and early man/beginnings of agriculture/early civilizations as part of history.

This is how I plan to divide it just for convenience. We will be doing History and Science notebooks and I need to know where to file things. ;)

I know when I was in school (way back when) we did start our History classes with a very brief (like one chapter) study of early hunter/gatherer/nomadic peoples and what led to the "discovery" of agriculture, all of which was referred to as Pre-History. History was considered to start with written record - I never understood why cave paintings were not considered "written"? I don't think we touched on early (pre-homo sapien) man/evolution of man in any of my classes.

A lot of people do it as history, which makes a lot of sense for following the chronology. But I really feel that it belongs in science. History comes to us in writing and art. Pre-history comes to us based on scientific theory that continues to change as we gather more information. What we know about dinosaurs has developed over a long period of scientific study. But the story of Gilgamesh is the story of Gilgamesh. You can continue to analyze the story to try to understand the people, but the story doesn't change. It is what it is. With a science teacher dh, we are a very science-oriented family, so the distinction is important to us.

I really feel like the division is artificial here. But I don't often feel the need to label and divide and name my learning all the time because Im comfortable with the idea of learning as a lifestyle. (Which is not to say those with a more traditionally academic focus are not comfortable with learning as a lifestyle. Just that Im ok with wishy washy in this area of naming or labeling.)

What would be used for a unit study at that age? Ds is liking dinos now, so it would be good to read about them I think. We picked up a Magic School Bus dino book the other day that talks about them. He made a skeleton of an Apatasaur-his fav one, after seeing them at Dinosaur World. That place is pretty cool.

In my first semester taking graduate classes in history (specifically in Historiography) - we had a week long debate on this subject :)

There is a difference between studying the past (everything that has ever happened) and history. History, academically, only studies the written evidence of humanity's past. Archaeology studies ancient pieces, anthropology studies man's societal evolution. The past - before written history - cannot technically be studied as "history". It can be studied as anthropology, geology, archaeology, etc....

Sorry - I'm big on accurate semantics as I think fuzzy semantics cause a lot of misunderstandings :D

ETA - To the OP this is NOT a silly question! I learned a lot in that class, and had never differentiated between the "past" and "History" before I took it :)

Edited by SailorMom

Unless you have to break it down for reporting purposes, I don't think it matters. It's all part of the narrative story of our universe and planet.

We have done both. For the first history rotation with both of my kids, we started with the big bang and moved forward. For the middle school rotation we just started with wherever the book started (I think it was slightly before recorded history). And then the older stuff gets moved to earth science and biology.