Menu

Best of the Best Picture Books for Pre/K?

mama2cntrykids

It is really fun to search Amazon.com for picture books for little ones.

You can easily do this by typing in a title or author. Then you can follow ideas as they link other books to those pages. (and even listmania! lists)

I would search for books by/and or illustrated: Barbara Cooney; McCloskey, Virginia Lee Burton, Beatrix Potter, Peter Spier, Margaret Wise Brown, Eloise Wilkin, Vera B. Williams, Mem Fox, Ezra Keats, Patricia Polacco, Joanne Ryder, Tana Hoban(photography books-mainly wordless), Tomie DePaola, Patricia Maclachlan, Tony Johnston... for starters- these are all very different authors- with many flavors...

All that said:

some of my very favorites for four year olds (author included if I know it by heart):

The Salamander Room

Where Butterflies Grow (Joanne Ryder)

All Beatrix Potter

Miss Fannie's Hat

Amber On The Mountain

The Quilt Story

Katie Meets the Impressionists (Mayhew)

Big Treasury of Little Animals (Phoebe Dunn)

Days on the Farm or just Floss if can't find the treasury (Kim Lewis)

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel (also The Little House) (Burton)

Anna and the Red Coat

Fletcher and the Springtime Blossoms (also Falling Leaves)

Corduroy

Fritz and the Beautiful Horses

Stopping by Woods On A Snowy Evening

One Grain of Rice (Demi)

~Rebecca

Edited by Rebecca
author mistake

I've used Honey for a Child's Heart and The Read-Aloud Treasury to find books for my daughter. Both books provide a list of wonderful picture and chapter books that I probably never would have found on my own. You should be able to find copies of these in your local library.

Some of my 4 year old's favorites:

1. Family Time Bible in Pictures

2. People (Spier)

3. Circus (Spier)

4. Noah's Ark (Spier)

5. Around the World in 80 Tales (author's last name is Saviour) is

absolutely gorgeously illustrated (can look at it on amazon to see

how fabulous the pics are)

6. Read Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young (Prelutsky)

7. Piggies in a Polka (Appelt?)

8. Farkle McBride

9. To Market To Market (Miranda)

10. Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm (Provenson)

11. What do People Do all Day (Scarry)

12. Cars and Trucks (the newer one with the cars and trucks over the lavender background....:-).

13. Where's Waldo

14. The Yellow Balloon

15. Beatrix Potter

16. Bears Wants More, Bear Feels Sick, etc......(there's several in this

series) == beautifully illustrated

17. the Miss Spider Sunny Patch storybook collection (came in a 25 book

box set) -- I paid $22ish at BooksAMillion but it's been worth it.

Nice pictures in each and all hardbacks.

18. The Reader's Digest Children's Atlas of the World (what would I do

without it).

19. Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever (lives up to its claim!)

20. The Berenstein Bears' Big Book of Science and Nature (got from

Sonlight).....FABULOUS

21. Lentil (nice artwork)

22. The Little House (Burton) and any Burton Books

23. Be Glad Your Nose is on your face

24. We like Dr. Seuss books

25. Wacky Wednesday (a must have)

26. There's a Wocket in my Pocket

Good luck!

Your library will have many of these.

Caps for Sale

Tikki Tikki Tembo (a favorite!)

The Ugly Duckling

Make Way for Ducklings

Cat, You'd Better Come Home (momma's favorite!)

The Little House

The Napping House

The Giving Tree

Stellaluna

One Morning in Maine

Where the Wild Things Are

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel

Ox Cart Man

Ferdinand

The Story About Ping

Time of Wonder

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head...

Let's see....animals and girly....I will get out my FIAR list and tell you our favorites:

The Story about Ping

Madeline

A Pair of Red Clogs

Another Celebrated Dancing Bear

Papa Piccolo

Very Last First Time

Night of the Moonjellies

Zarafa (true story btw)

Owl Moon

The Story of Ferdinand

Miss Rumphius

The Bee Tree

The Wild Horses of Sweetbriar

The Finest Horse in Town

The Duchess Bakes a Cake

Salamander Room

Amber on the Mountain

also

Keep the Lights Burning Abby

Cornfield Babies and other Nature Stories (not a picture book, but has several b/w sketches and lots of animal stories. R&S)

There are so, so, so many picture books out there - old, new, funny, serious, beautiful... It's hard to make a list. When you said "girly" I immediately thought of the Olivia books (these were recently made into a cartoon series, I think). Also of Fancy Nancy and Angelina Ballerina. And to tell you to try and avoid Pinkalicious like the plague... though that's just my personal taste and to each their own and all that in case I'm offending any Pinkalicious fans.

For "animals" the possibilities are pretty endless. Other people suggested Beatrix Potter, The Salamander Room (an lesser known favorite of mine) and Make Way for Ducklings. How about a couple of sillier titles - Click, Clack Moo and Duck on a Bike.

I think you just have to go to the library and get piles and piles of things to try. With picture books, I feel like that's the best way. You really CAN judge them by the covers (or at least a 10 second skim through) a lot of the time!

Here's one that's a bit different (I think).

It's called:

I Am Learning All The Time, by Rain Perry Fordyce.

It's about a 5 year old homeschooled character (who is a dog but like a person, you know, like the Berenstain Bears or something). And the book explores the differences in the little boy and his friends who go to public school, comparing them, but in a very positive way.

The illustrations are great and I think that any homeschooled child would enjoy a picture/story book about another homeschooled child. It's a big hit at our house.

http://www.homeschooladventurebooks.com/

Thanks! I've been looking for book recs for my 3 year old and I love good book lists.

I also love Honey for a Child's Heart and The Read Aloud Handbook. I usually take these with me to the library when we go.

Ambleside also has some good recommendations in the 'Year 0' section.

Here is the Fuse #8 Top 100 Picture Books results

You can click on each one to get a review.

http://blog.schoollibraryjournal.com/afuse8production/2009/05/16/top-100-picture-books-poll-results-1-101/

I was going to recommend this also. A great list.

I'm reading to a bit older children but these are their favorite over the last two years or so. (One girl is into princesses and girly stuff, the other alternates between wanting to be a mermaid, a horse, or a turn-of-the century sailor. Basically I'm reading to a diverse crowd. :001_smile:)

The Paper Bag Princess by Robert N. Munsch -Girl empowering storyline. A princess must try to save her prince, who has been captured by a dragon, but when she does she discovers that he isn't her true love and is happier on her own.

Cinderella retold by Barbara McClintock - A very good telling of Cinderella with pretty illustrations and happy endings for everybody. Way better than the Disney telling.

Rapunzel by Paul O. Zelinsky - Another beautifully illustrated, well told fairy tale from this author.

Sleeping Beauty by KY Craft -Beautiful illustrations and a good telling of the classic story.

Rumplestiltskin by Paul Zelinsky - Pretty illustrations and a good telling of a classic story.

Arnold of the Ducks by Modicai Gerstein - A lost boy is raised by a duck until he is found by his real mother.

Captain Snap and the Children of Vinegar Lane by Roni Schotter - A great story of neighborhood children helping a recluse and in the end everyone finds friendship. We all enjoyed this book.

Once Upon A Time, the End by Geoffrey Kloske - Very simplified versions of fairy tales set inside the bigger story of a tired father trying to get their kid to sleep. Lots of fun to read.

The Princess and the Three Knights by Karen Kingsbury - We really enjoyed this story about what is actually love with beautiful illustration.

Ladybug Girl by Jacky Davis -Cute pictures and storyline. A little girl has to use her imagination to entertain herself when her parents and brother are too busy to play.

How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long - Fun illustrations and cute storyline. A boy gets a chance to become a pirate and go on adventures with the crew.

Stellaluna by Janell Cannon - A bat is separated from it's mother and goes to live with birds. They learn a lot from each other but the bat misses it's family.

All the Places to Love by Patricia Maclachlan - A beautiful books with a heartwarming story of a little boy who loves his family and then loves his new little sister.

Fancy Nancy by Jane O'Connor - An entertaining story of a little girl who likes things to be fancy and her plain family. After I read it the girls wanted me to read it again immediately. I did.

The Merbaby by Teresa Bateman - Pretty illustrations. A sailor finds a baby mermaid and must decide between riches and fame or doing the right thing.

The Magic Nesting Doll by Jacqueline K. Ogburn -A fairytale set in Russia with girl that ends up saving a Prince and defeating his evil uncle. Really pretty Russian folklore illustrations.

The Princess and the Pizza by Mary Jane Auch - A cute story about a former princess who figures out she doesn't need a prince to get what she wants in life. The girls wanted to read this over and over again.

The Witch Who Wanted to Be a Princess by Lois G. Grambling - An entertaining story of a witch who aspired for a different life. Her prince is a cute surprise. The girls wanted to read this over and over again.

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems - For a younger crowd but still awesome.

The Reluctant Dragon by Michael Hague - A clever little boy helps a peaceful dragon and St George out of a bad situation.

You can easily do this by typing in a title or author. Then you can follow ideas as they link other books to those pages. (and even listmania! lists)

I would search for books by/and or illustrated: Barbara Cooney; McCloskey, Virginia Lee Burton, Beatrix Potter, Peter Spier, Margaret Wise Brown, Eloise Wilkin, Vera B. Williams, Mem Fox, Ezra Keats, Patricia Polacco, Joanne Ryder, Tana Hoban(photography books-mainly wordless), Tomie DePaola, Patricia Maclachlan, Tony Johnston... for starters- these are all very different authors- with many flavors...

All that said:

some of my very favorites for four year olds (author included if I know it by heart):

The Salamander Room

All Beatrix Potter

Miss Fannie's Hat

Amber On The Mountain

The Quilt Story

Anna and the Red Coat

Corduroy

One Grain of Rice (Demi)

~Rebecca

:thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup:

Great list...you have excellent taste, Rebecca!

Geo

Caps for Sale

Tikki Tikki Tembo (a favorite!)

The Ugly Duckling

Make Way for Ducklings

Cat' date=' You'd Better Come Home (momma's favorite!)

The Little House

The Napping House

The Giving Tree

Stellaluna

One Morning in Maine

Where the Wild Things Are

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel

Ox Cart Man

Ferdinand

The Story About Ping

Time of Wonder

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head...[/quote']

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Along with Rebecca's list...many of these are our favorites. We often burst out into..."Tikki Tikki Tembo No Sa Rembo Chari Bari Ruchi Pip Pari Pembo.....

Oxcart Man (wore the cover off!)Stellaluna, The Little House....ah, sweet memories.

Geo

Fanny by Holly Hobbie. LOOOVVVEE it here.

"Ladybug Girl" and "Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy". These aren't classics, but I like the strong female character. (oh and so does dd!)

And Mouse Mess. For some reason mine love it and we have read the poor thing to shreds.

(But these only after you get all the great classic rec's listed :D)

Edited by urpedonmommy

Oh, goodness, this is almost an impossible task, but it's an irresistible one, too. :D

I find myself drawn to the same authors over and over as I pick out books these days.

Mem Fox (especially Sleepy Bears)

Eric Carle

Lois Erhlert (especially Waiting for Wings and Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf)

Mo Willems (author of the Pigeon books as well as Knuffle Bunny, which is awesome)

Denise Fleming

James Marshall (I'm thinking of his tales, like Goldilocks, though my oldest loved the George and Martha books at 4)

Dr. Suess (not sure if it counts as a picture book, but we adore them all)

Audrey Wood

Other random books that are well-loved:

Miss Spider's Tea Party

Two Cool Cows

I Took the Moon for a Walk

Mouse Paint and the others in the series

Mouse Mess

Jamberry

Caps for Sale

Blueberries for Sal (okay, I'm another McCloskey fan :tongue_smilie:)

Fancy Nancy

Olivia

Llama, Llama, Red Pajama

A Child's Garden of Verses

The Rhyme Bible Storybook

Have fun!

Guest Cindie2dds

That's hard. I would have to say we have LOVED Sonlight's P3/4. We have read every book several times!

Mo Willems (Knuffle Bunny and Too) and the Pigeon books

Corduroy books

Tiptoes Lightly series

anything by Elsa Beskow

All that said:

The Salamander Room

All Beatrix Potter

Miss Fannie's Hat

Amber On The Mountain

The Quilt Story

Anna and the Red Coat

Corduroy

One Grain of Rice (Demi)

~Rebecca

:iagree:

I have acquired the Anholt Artists Series (by Laurence Anholt) more for reading with my older child, but it's my 3 yr old son who keeps dragging out the Van Gogh and Monet books and bringing them downstairs to "read" by himself. Basically, Anholt writes about one of the artists from the perspective of one of the children in the artist's life. Very interesting books!