Menu

Started using Joy Hakim's Science Program. WOW!!!

3littlekeets

What (and where) are the activities? I got all three books from the library and read them myself -- I liked them -- but I didn't know there was a "program" that sounds as though it includes more?

I just received my "quest guides" in the mail last week. I'm looking forward to starting with my 13 year old, and think I'll drag the 11 year old along for the ried. :)

I don't think you will have to "drag" for long. My son actually asked why all schools didn't choose such awesome textbooks since they meet the National Science Standards :lol:.

is the quest guides different from student workbooks? do you need the Teacher's Manual as well? I found them on Amazon and noticed that they can be used from 6th grade up...we have the textbooks so I may try the first workbook to see how my 8th and 9th graders like them...

we are also enrolled in an online science class so they could do this as a side science as they both love Joy Hakim.

where did you order your books from?

Knowing the program was developed for older kids, I'm still going to try as much as I can with my science lovin’ incoming fourth grader.

In terms of cost:

I ordered the first two sets of student/teacher quest guides (along with all three main books) at a DEEP discount. Check out this earlier WTM post:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186055&highlight=joy+hakim+science

Knowing the program was developed for older kids, I'm still going to try as much as I can with my science lovin’ incoming fourth grader.

In terms of cost:

I ordered the first two sets of student/teacher quest guides (along with all three main books) at a DEEP discount. Check out this earlier WTM post:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186055&highlight=joy+hakim+science

Thank you, I was just about to ask if there were samples available anywhere. It looks right up DD2's street, but she's only starting 3rd now. What's the earliest anyone has successfully used this? How long do I have to wait before we can use this?

I'm currently using Aristotle Leads the Way with my science-loving third and fifth-graders. We are all loving it. The textbook is beautiful and is written in an engaging way. We've done the first two lessons so far (first two chapters) and will be doing our first experiment this week. In history and literature we are studying ancient times, so this fits perfectly. My 8-yo said that she really likes how our science, literature, history, and art (Art in Story) are all connected to teach other. She says it helps her understand things and remember them better (isn't that the point? ;)).

So, in my experience, you can Aristotle Leads the Way with younger kids if you do it with them. You'll like doing it with them. It's fun. :)

In terms of cost:

Do they have the teacher/student quest guides for the Einstein book? I didn't see it on Amazon or find it at the site where they are offering the deep discount.

We did Aristotle last year (3 5th graders, 2 7th graders, 1 8th grader) and are doing Newton this year (2 6th graders & 2 8th graders).

I think younger children can enjoy listening to the books, but the activities in the Quest Guides are definitely geared for middle school (gifted children, no less). Although some of the hands-on activities can defenitely be enjoyed by younger kids, most of the material in the Quest guides would be awkward or inappropriate for younger kids. Basic algebra and geometry (probably 7th grade level) math is needed for many ideas and activities.

So, I'd recommend the books themselves for an attentive 3rd grader and up. But, the Quest guide for 5th/6th grade & up who are working at or above grade level in math. . . Really, they are probably best for 6th-8th grade or higher.

What's the earliest anyone has successfully used this? How long do I have to wait before we can use this?

The group is mixed age, and we're only starting the second book this fall, but the youngest kid last year was nine and did very well. He's very bright, but I think many nine year olds could manage it, provided they're interested. There are a few activities that involve measuring that can get frustrating for younger kids, but they don't lose anything by adult assistance... just don't throw the book at them and walk away! :)

We have Aristotle waiting on the shelf. Well, I've been sneaking peeks, but we don't plan to dive in for another two weeks (too much going on).

As a person who has struggled to find a good non-religious science program for 3 years now, the fist chapter had me absolutely swooning, lol! I am in love!