Menu

What's the correct etiquette...

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they can't drive themselves, then either dh or I stay. We don't do drop off events unless it is someone we know very very well and are fairly close to. Besides that, it seems like a waste of drive time to me going back and forth.

I do not presume that any child not listed is invited. I always call to RSVP and to verify the situation. That they only want a certain child, that they understand that I or dh will be staying if our child comes, that it includes baby if I'm nursing a baby.

I have also learned to ask lots and lots of questions to avoid surprises on both sides.

When I drop off, I pop in to say hi and ask if they need help. If they do, I'll stay. If they say no, thanks, I'm out of there. My kids are a bit older, but five 11yos with supervision as you described is fine, imo.

Assume the party's over - how did it go? :)

OMG, you all are too much! I honestly didn't see this until I checked my stats.

Just bumping the thread in the hope that Justamouse will see it and post an update for us.

I hope the party went well! :)

Cat

The kids party went OK. The family/adult party (which had even MORE kids-11 all together) was AWESOME. I had all of the second party kids in the pool having a blast. Jumping and catching footballs, much splashing and fun having. Then, after all the cake, I had them swim 25 laps, and the girls did 26 just to best the snotty boys (and if they tread water or stop they had to bark like seals). Serious fun. (and all of the adults were inside drinking and fun having while I ran the show out at the pool)

The kid party wasn't so great because one had a total meltdown when he got wet (another boy had a water gun). The parents being there was cumbersome, and I'm glad I had extra food.

She told the parents that they couldn't attend and sadly, the boys were no match for the sharks without their parents there.

LOlol!!!

A good time was had by all.

2437521787_8d5e5296de.jpg?v=0

BWaahahaaa! I WISH!!!

Edited by justamouse

For a pool party of active 11yo boys I would be more comfortable having a few extra sets of eyes. Are you talking about 5 more people? I'd just make it work. Cut something out, make a few more of the main dish, and work with it.

Note, my brother asked why we weren't having a pool party birthday party for one of ours. I don't want to have that huge responsibility of the kids in the water. I always require a responsible person be present for any additional children in our pool. I told him he can swim once the child-sized guests are gone.

:iagree:

I think that the situation is much more dangerous with additional adults and other kids. At the beginning, we had at least three people supervising five pre-teen boys. That seems a very reasonable situation. If my kid was inviting and not a swimmer, I wouldn't let them attend.

Now why do I say more adults is more problematic- because the natural situation then is for the adults to start talking or for the hosts to become distracted by younger siblings of attendees or the needs of the adult guests. FUrthermore if the adults are swimming too, you have an even greater number of people to supervise.

I haven't had a swimming party but my parties aren't meant for parents. I tend to have parties at an establishment and the party package is for a certain number of people. So it was very ackward when one parent brought a sibling to the party. I had no refreshments for them since I had already arranged for a certain number. We brought the cake and were able to offer them some of that. But this parent and sibling (who wasn't my daughter's friend) were the only ones out of ten invitees who stayed. We were at a regular establishment (roller skating rink) and there was no issues with lack of supervision. THis year, that daughter had an ice skating party and none of the parents stayed. That was fine. All the girls were between 11-13 and they didn't need much supervision. I think 11 year old children don't need anything like one on one supervision or one on two unless the child has a specific issue. Like I said, if my kid couldn't swim well, he wouldn't be attending.

By the way, drownings are not random things. They happen due to a few factors- not knowing how to swim,criminal horseplay, drug or alcohol use, hitting one's head on the concrete, or simply having a yet undiagnosed medical issue like seizure or heart disease. I am talking about normal distances like pools. Obviously in the ocean or a lake distance can be a factor too as can exhaustion but in a pool, those aren't issues. So that is why I think 3 for 5 is a very reasonable supervision idea.