Menu

Help w/ deciding on history focus for 1st

bluecalmsea

For kindergarten, we um haven't done much in the way of history/social studies. We're just "unschooling" it and that is not working. I have no idea what to do for 1st. I thought about using SOTW, but now I'm having second thoughts. If we haven't done much in the way of social studies and geography, would it be better to focus on that for 1st? Is it really that big of a deal if we don't do Ancients till 2nd grade? For those who didn't start the 4yr cycle in 1st, what DID you do? Thanks bluecalmsea

If you want to do SOTW, just do the Audio Memory Geography Songs, learning a new song every few weeks. That will give you geography but keep you going with the history. It's perfectly fine to do a survey of american or geography in 1st, starting ancients in 2nd. We did geo in K5, american in 1st, and ancients in 2nd, but I was using VP for ancients, which has enough writing that you really want the student a bit older. If you want to do SOTW, I'd just add some geo on the side with the songs. They're crazy fun. Also you could get FIAR books and read through them, mapping places you read about. If you want a schedule, you could look at SL, which schedules CHOW and the geo songs. Many people use SOTW along with that core, no problem, and then you'd ahve a SCHEDULE to help you get it done! :)

They do a yr. of basic Amer. History in 2nd and then start a 5 yr. cycle in 3rd w/ a year of World Geography and then the 4 yr. cycle. For 1st grade, if you like SOTW...go for it! In the early years, you really are just laying a basic foundation, creating "pegs" on which to hang information they will come to again in the 2nd "cycle" when they are older. KWIM? When mine were in 1st, we used K12 History (written by SWB and much like SOTW). It was fun and they remember a little...more like little "flashes" of memory on certain topics. Keep it fun and hands-on.

If you want to focus on geography...that's fun too! We're actually taking a year off from the cycle to do World Geography next year and picking back up w/ Rome to Ref. in the next year. 1st grade is young, time to really focus still on the basics. History is just an extra that can be fun if your dc is in to it, KWIM?

If we hadn't done geography this year, I'd do it next year (for 1st) instead of SOTW. We're using Galloping the Globe and have been enjoying it very much. I think it would be entirely appropriate (thought not at all necessary) to spend some time on world geography first.

I think studying different countries is a great way to start out. We used Galloping the Globe for K (it would definitely be great for 1st as well) and really enjoyed that year.

Another option would be to get the SOTW audiobooks and use Galloping the Globe as your main curriculum and then listen to the audiobooks in the car a few times throughout the year. My son has picked up a tremendous amount from doing this.

Lisa

We used FIAR for K and into 1st grade. Instead of SOTW immediately, we did an OT survey in chronological order and then just listened to SOTW on CD over the summer.

We are now finishing our 2nd time through Ancients with my oldest in 5th, and she is doing fine. So, no, I don't think it's that big of a deal which way you go for 1st grade. Also, don't sweat it at all that you haven't done a lot of history in K. It's most important to focus on the 3Rs with beginning students, especially teaching reading.

"I don't know much about history . . . "

Going through SOTW 1 when my ds was in 1st last year provided me with an overview of the key people, places and events that will allow me to make better decisions as I look ahead to 5th and 9th grade history.

The geography introduced in SOTW provided a great introduction to world geography, IMO. As suggested in TWTM, I checked out books from the library about different countries, pulled out our globe and maps, and looked at atlases in addition to having my ds do the coloring pages.

Because we live in the US, they memorized the states by region last summer using audiomemory songs, puzzles and geography games. This summer I plan to have them memorize state capitals and perhaps presidents as an intro to US history studies and SOTW 3 next year.

I'm a "big picture" person; I like to see where I am going when I am planning. Since I plan to repeat the 4 year history cycle when my dc are in HS, I began with SOTW 1 in 1st.

The more closely I follow, TWTM, the more I appreciate the plans suggested therein.

But, ymmv ;)

First, let me say it won't be a problem to wait on SOTW. There are so many years ahead! But....

We are just finishing up 1st this year (DS is 7), and had done little geography up until this. SOTW has been a great start! First, Ancients is just so cool for kids - mummies, pyramids, Olympic games, the Great Wall of China, the Greek myths, etc. My DS absolutely loves history now, begs for more, and insists that "history isn't schoolwork." Second, the map work included in the SOTW AG had led to more in-depth discussions of continents, seas, oceans, cultures, etc. We are always pulling out the globe, or talking about people around the world, then and now. Even my 2nd DS (almost 5) casually points to maps now and says, "That's Africa. Egypt is one of the countries there. This is the Nile delta." (He is also out child Most Likely to Win at Trivial Pursuit.)

I have no expectation that either boy will remember details about this year in a few years, but they will remember that civilizations grow and change and they will love history.

Best wishes deciding!

I have one that's finishing kindergarten and two more starting kindergarten here shortly. We have mainly used Five in a Row and haven't done a lot of history other than some country studies. I don't want to begin SOTW 1 next year because I don't think my boys are quite ready for that yet. I recently picked up History For Little Pilgrims from Christian Liberty Press and I'm planning on starting that pretty soon. It's a very cute book (a teacher guide is a available as well) and seems like a gentle approach for little ones. It's also very expensive. I bought the teacher's guide and the book for $14.00. Just my two cents. I liked to know what you decide if you wouldn't posting later on. (In case I change my mind and need ideas.) :0)

Andrea

:001_unsure:

You're not alone! I'm in the midst of making this decision myself.

Me too

I think we're not doing ancients (at least not at first. I'm only planning thru Dec right now). I've looked at SOTW, CHOW, A Little History of the World (Gombrich), and The Story of Mankind (author... forgot?). I just decided we needed to wait (many reasons) a little while. So we're doing maps and mapping, what is history, as well as community and civics. We have already done some map stuff this year, which DD loves. I want to build on her enthusiasm.

HTH

Andrea, I have History for Little Pilgrims. I bought it a year ago, planning to use it for first, but realized a few months ago that it will be too simple for my dd and get done quickly. Would it be too much/confusing to use SOTW and do some type of cultures study (like Galloping the Globe?) AND possible basic civics or American History? Thanks bluecalmsea

I agree with many of the others that have spoken here. You have many years ahead to cover history. MFW Geography is awesome and a wonderful way to start your studies. The children really enjoy it and it gives them an idea of where the places are when you start studying history the following years. We studied geography before the history cycle and it really helped. :iagree:

IMHO I would do MFW and then move onto ancients next year.

Blessings,

ClassicMom

(mom to 5: 18, 14, 13, 12, 5 )

Bluecalmsea,

I don't think it would be too hard to coordinate SOTW with American History. My older daughter was totally ready for SOTW in first grade. We used the summer to do American History and the school year for Ancients. I have two sons that will be kindergarten age and another son that will be in first grade. I just don't think they are quite ready yet. So next year we are doing geography (I have Galloping the Globe and I'm thinking of using it.), A History for Little Pilgrims, and some basc American History. SOTW I'm saving for 2nd grade. Let me know what you decide to use. I love everyone's ideas.

Andrea

Hmmm.... So if I wait till 2nd for Ancients, then what would you suggest for 3rd if I plan on doing state history in 4th? Can the 4yr history cycle be condensed into 3 or even 2yrs? What would a 2 or 3yr cycle look like? Decisions, decisions.... I do have CHOW, but didn't think of it for 1st. How do you use it? Do you cover the whole book in 1yr? Have any websites or blogs w/ suggestions for CHOW? bluecalmsea

:iagree:and HOD's Little Hearts for His Glory and Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory are on their way to my house as I type. I'll be starting with Little Hearts the day after it arrives, as our mail comes late in the afternoon, otherwise I'd jump in right away. We'll work our way through Little Hearts with the plan being to finish by Christmas (We're schooling all summer. I made the mistake of skipping 3 weeks at Christmas last year. Big Mistake. Lesson learned.) After Christmas, we'll start the Beyond schedule. I am so excited to start this curriculum with my little guy (5.5 in K now). If you haven't taken a look at it, do so. It was love at first sight for me.:001_wub:

Jen

ETA: Age of son, so you'd see where I was coming from. I will be modifying my plans a bit. My son has a late fall birthday, so I don't have a problem waiting to start him with the 1st grade program in December/January. He's reading now, but not well enough to go into the emergent readers, so we're taking the next few months to get him up to speed so that he can be on-schedule with that portion of Beyond.