Menu

Art for K-3

Quiver0f10

We're going to use I Can Do All Things by Barry Stebbing this year, with the DVD's (How Great Thou Art publishing). I think it will be great. It is instructional for beginning drawing, working with markers, colored pencils, and paint, and a little art appreciation. Your child works right in the book (printed on light weight cardstock). I came across this when looking at MFW earlier this year (they use it in Adventures). Obviously from the title, this is a Christian company if that is a concern.

I didn't like Artistic Pursuits very much at all; not much instruction at least in book one. Seemed like it was just alot of "do this", not how to do it. The art appreciation was pretty good though.

I mostly prefer Atelier because it is my daughter's favorite. We have done two levels of Artistic Pursuit and 2 levels of Atelier. She really enjoys both programs, but she consistently prefers Atelier. She has also done many of the Atelier lessons more than once.

Atelier is DVD based. All I have to do is gather the supplies and my daughter does the rest with the DVD. We will use both programs again this year and they both look really great.

My daughter loves art so using both programs allows her plenty of art lessons. She often uses the ideas from the lessons on her own too.

Suzanne

Another vote for Artistic Pursuits! I've used it both with my own dc and also taught it in a more classroom-like setting with about 15 kids and it works great both ways. Even the kids that aren't "into" drawing &/or crafts find something they like with most every lesson.

Oh, I forgot to mention that we're also going to be using Drawing With Children for drawing lessons this year. We started last year, but now I'm determined to use it! But our main art will be Artistic Pursuits. We're finishing up the PreK book, and will be starting Book 1 this fall. I'm curious about Atelier Art, but we're not really into DVD instruction, so I'll wait on that.

I'm a big fan of MaryAnn Kohl and process-oriented (rather than product-oriented) art, so this year we'll be organizing our art time with her new book Art with Anything. It's organized by material, and gives five project ideas (one for each day of the week) of increasing complexity for each material. Materials include aluminum foil, bubble wrap, buttons, cardboard, coffee filters, etc. Written for kids ages 4-10.

We've been putting together our own plan using resources from some great blogs written by art teachers. You can see the plan I'm using with my 1st and 4th grader here on my blog. Right now my approach is more art history inspired. I hope to have some more of our examples of what the girls have done up by the end of the day. Our Matisse window collage was a Wordless Wednesday a couple of weeks back.

I love the ideas for different resources given here and can't wait to explore them. It is so funny that will all my background in mathematics education, I still get the most excited about art lessons!

I've taught a small K-3 co-op class the last two years using Artistic Pursuits! I love how easy it is to use and the kids not only loved doing art, but improved their skills throughout the year. I love how it also includes a print to study for each lesson. It makes it easy to incorporate an artist to go along with the lesson.