Menu

What have you found to be the best way to drill math facts with your children?

Older DS seemed to have been born already knowing math facts, so never really drilled him. At most, we just touched on them from time to time with the fun computer game "Number Munchers".

Younger DS was completely the opposite. No matter what we used, math facts did not stick. Timed math drills absolutely made him melt down. Math Shark was a complete waste of money (NOT game-like to DS, and it was TIMED). Wrap-Ups were a waste of time and money -- all he did was memorize the wrap pattern, not the math facts. And Number Munchers was not enough like a game to for him to like it. (see what I mean about complete opposite?!)

What finally worked best for him was gentle, consistent use of a VARIETY of things:

1. skip count songs

2. triangle flashcards -- reduces the number of facts that have to be learned by three-fourths because the child sees the relationship between 3 numbers on the points of the triangle as a fact "family", and each fact family represents 4 math facts -- ex: a card with 6, 7, and 42 on it represents the math facts of:

6x7 = 42

7x6 = 42

42/7 = 6

42/6 = 7

3. Schoolhouse Rock: Multiplication Rock

4. just a little bit of help from Times Tables the Easy Way (goofy story and cartoon for each math fact to help each "stick" in the visual memory)

BEST of luck in finding what works for your family! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

DD's only 6, so this wouldn't apply to older kids needing to learn times tables, but she got her 1-12 facts down by playing Sum Swamp and doing the MEP lessons. MEP worksheets present the facts in about a million different ways. For example, X=2+6, 2+X=8, 6+2=X, 2+6=X+4...and so on and so forth. You can find all of those sorts of examples on one worksheet, and even the same example can be shown in different ways - with a balance where one number is hidden, with pictures, with blanks where kids draw the pictures, etc. It has lots of practice, but it's all different.

Copywork, flashcards, computer based drills, what has worked with your children to get their math facts into their heads? We need to work on this, and I was wondering what has worked for others.

Around here it's been consistency. Drilling daily using flash cards or Quarter Mile Math, and doing a fact sheet (we use Saxon, so they are included) daily has helped cement the facts.

We use a Flashmaster. It is a handheld device that drills them on the math facts so I don't have to use flashcards.

I also use online games, worksheets, and just asking them out loud.

It took my daughter a while to learn her addition facts, so I was dreading multiplication. I found Times Tales. She had many of them learned in a couple of hours, and she enjoyed it! I would definitely recommend it for visual learners.

Angela

Give up and give them a math table in a sheet protector to use. But if you must work on them, figure out what way your dc learns best. The best ideas from people won't work if your dc learns a different way. (auditory, visual, in stories, etc.)

Having a math facts table available during their math work. It solidifies the correct math fact rather than guessing. Eventually they'll stop needing it. Works here. :)

Drilling consistently with any method has failed miserably here. What worked for us was having our do math year round (with a week off here & there for holidays). Drilling might have worked with my ds had he not thought it funny to skip count or count just because he knew it was wrong & didn't want to memorize them. What's funny is that he's learning them very quickly now in spite of himself.

I like the idea of practicing skip counting especially before they get to multiplication. This would put them ahead of the game, so to speak. All of these suggestions have helped give me some ideas. I know I remember drilling those multiplication facts over and over in third grade. I'm thankful for a teacher that made me learn them, even if it wasn't much fun!

We like this book--uses coloring, and stories and flashcards---uses BOTH sides of the brain to retain facts and we went from the worst part of the day to the best!

http://www.multiplication.com/order.htm

We got both but liked the yellow one better

Lara

My neighbor just gave me the yellow book after success with her kids. I'm willing to give it a try.

I wonder what the difference is between this and Times Tales....