Menu

Head count for those doing the Duke TIP King Arthur study this year

swimmermom3

Is anyone going to use Sparknote or anything else to provide background information? For example, in chapter 5, I discovered that the Castle of the Forest Sauvage does not exist. Boy, did White have me fooled. I was looking for a floor plan.:tongue_smilie: Flavius Arranius is a Greek historian and M.F.H. is Master of Foxhounds. I need to know these things because the Dude will ask and it could take us forever to look things up. Although, I suppose we could do that and skip some questions.

Side note: I have a lot of literature selections about knights to choose from and am trying to pick the very best ones to use. Knight's Fee by Rosemary Sutcliff begins with the story of a Dog Boy like the one mentioned in Chapt. 5 in the Sword and the Stone and goes on to show the transfer and holding of land and the difficulties of loyalty between lords and their knights. And it's a good story. Just thought I'd mention it.

Side note: I have a lot of literature selections about knights to choose from and am trying to pick the very best ones to use. Knight's Fee by Rosemary Sutcliff begins with the story of a Dog Boy like the one mentioned in Chapt. 5 in the Sword and the Stone and goes on to show the transfer and holding of land and the difficulties of loyalty between lords and their knights. And it's a good story. Just thought I'd mention it.

Are you still thinking of doing the Prydain Chronicles? I was planning to have DS read those as his non-school fiction this fall. If Swimmer Dude reads them, maybe the boys could discuss them? I have the Prydain Companion, but I wasn't planning to do a big literary analysis thing — just let DS enjoy them and discuss a bit.

Jackie

Are you still thinking of doing the Prydain Chronicles? I was planning to have DS read those as his non-school fiction this fall. If Swimmer Dude reads them, maybe the boys could discuss them? I have the Prydain Companion, but I wasn't planning to do a big literary analysis thing — just let DS enjoy them and discuss a bit.

Jackie

I have so many books on my list but my intuition is telling me that Prydain is the way to go for sheer joy. I read them with my oldest son the summer after he turned 12. Our relationship was at a rocky point and spending each evening reading the books and discussing larger issues like the "glory" of war, its cost, finding one's own path, etc., went a long way in helping us to find a common ground. I think a discussion would be great. We could probably lose Augustine Came to Kent and a couple other books. Hmmm. My first inclination when I brought them up was to work with them for literary analysis but with some thought, it would be better to just enjoy them. We'll still do Knight's Fee and not cover similar information in his spine.

I guess I need to find out more about this. My son is in the TIP program, and I knew they had "book clubs" but I thought it was just for the kids to read and discuss online? It sounds like what you're mentioning is more like a course that you do at home and they provide materials (that you buy)? Is it a semester-type of course?

Thanks! Sounds interesting.

I guess I need to find out more about this. My son is in the TIP program, and I knew they had "book clubs" but I thought it was just for the kids to read and discuss online? It sounds like what you're mentioning is more like a course that you do at home and they provide materials (that you buy)? Is it a semester-type of course?

Thanks! Sounds interesting.

Yes, it's a syllabus you can buy from Duke ($35), with 20 lessons that cover the four books of The Once and Future King. The syllabus includes lots of discussion questions that link the books to Medieval history, as well as lots of terrific project ideas.

Jackie

Sigh. I still wish there was some literary conversation. I have never read the book before and just hit a part that I swear had to be an inspiration for Monty Python, Chapter 7 in The Sword in the Stone regarding the battle between King Pellinore and Sir Grummore. I am hearing voices and they sound suspiciously like John Cleese and the gang. And the narrator is a perfect example of an unreliable narrator. Sigh. Jackie, remind me again and again that I can't do it all.:tongue_smilie:

Sigh. I still wish there was some literary conversation. I have never read the book before and just hit a part that I swear had to be an inspiration for Monty Python, Chapter 7 in The Sword in the Stone regarding the battle between King Pellinore and Sir Grummore. I am hearing voices and they sound suspiciously like John Cleese and the gang. And the narrator is a perfect example of an unreliable narrator. Sigh. Jackie, remind me again and again that I can't do it all.:tongue_smilie:

:lurk5: Oh, I think a bowl of popcorn and an evening of watching The Holy Grail are definitely called for. It's research!

Jackie

I have not heard these! Tell me more! We are doing LLfLOTR with an older boy. But my rising 7th grader would love to delve into king arthur and prydain!

TIA!:D

You can read the ToC and a sample chapter here. Lisa and I are using it, along with TC's The Medieval World course, with our 7th grade boys this fall. And throwing in Prydain for fun.

I'm really looking forward to history this year!

Jackie

You can read the ToC and a sample chapter here. Lisa and I are using it, along with TC's The Medieval World course, with our 7th grade boys this fall. And throwing in Prydain for fun.

I'm really looking forward to history this year!

Jackie

Whooohoo! Another vict...I mean interested party. Which part do you want to know more about?:D

TC is for Teaching Company-right? It's listed as a 10 week course, are your spreading it out or using it more as a supplement to TC? What are the four projects? What are you doing for Prydain?

Here is some additional info, which I've cobbled together from previous posts:

The Duke/TIP Arthur study provides:

(1) a reading schedule for the 4 books of The Once and Future King, divided into 20 lessons;

(2) roughly 25 discussion questions per lesson, which directly relate the story to the history & culture of the middle ages, of which I'll probably use 8-10 questions for discussion and a few more for short answer or essay questions;

(3) 30 different research and/or art projects to choose from, of which we'll probably choose 12-15 to do.

I think the discussion questions and the project ideas are really good, and the eight "themes" they focus on will be useful in providing an overall structure to our history studies ~ they tie in very well with the Oxford OUP books, and make it easy to coordinate other resources (documentaries, Teaching Co. lectures, biographies and other books, etc.) around the same themes. The 8 themes are:

Feudalism

Monarchy

Knights

Castles

The Quest (includes the Crusades)

Knowledge (science/medicine/writing/etc)

Daily Life

Role of Women

It seems like it will be really easy to correlate resources with those themes, and I think there's probably a DK (or similar) book on each of the eight topics (I already own Castle, Knight, and Medieval Life), so it should be easy to find appropriate materials for my 3rd grader as well as my 7th grader.

All of the projects are really in-depth activities, and most involve historical research combined with creative (art/writing/building) projects. Some examples of the projects (paraphrased & vastly abridged):

* Research the history, methods, and goals of alchemy, and it's relationship to modern science. Create a catalog of materials and equipment that would have been used in alchemy (at least 12 products), with illustrations and descriptions of all products. Write a lesson plan for an alchemy apprentice, including an introduction to the philosophy of alchemy, a clear set of steps to follow and problems to solve, a list of materials & equipment, etc.

* Research the Crusades and create a timeline with the beginning and end of each Crusade, major figures, etc. Plot the route of each of the Crusades on a map. Create a timeline for the the Quest for the Holy Grail in The Once and Future King and document the similarities to, and differences from, the Crusades. Create a diary of a knight on one of the Crusades, commenting on his living conditions, important events, his feelings about his role and the code of chivalry, etc.

* Research early historical kings such as Aethelred the Unready, Edward the Confessor, Henry V, Edward the Black Prince, etc. Choose one figure to write a biography about, and compare him to Arthur. Write a script where your chosen king meets with Arthur in one of the scenes from The Ill-Made Knight. Highlight how each man reacts to the events, and what their reaction is to each other.

* Research the history/role of troubadours. Listen to Medieval music and compare the lyrics and instruments to modern music. Compose a ballad about one of the key events in The Ill-Made Knight, and perform the song.

* Research evidence for a historical Arthur. Make a timeline of his possible life, and a map illustrating & describing the important historical sites associated with him. Create a Quest in the form of a scavenger hunt for evidence; present this either as a board game you design or as a "Web Quest" with links to historical sites and directions for "tourists" to look for clues to the truth about Arthur.

Other projects include researching medieval dishes and cooking/staging a medieval feast; researching the primary illnesses of the Middle Ages and theories of health & disease (e.g. the Four Humors) as well as comparing European medicine of the time to medicine in other areas (such as Asia and the Arab world); creating an illuminated manuscript; researching heraldry and designing a coat of arms for a shield; creating a fashion magazine with at least 5 outfits worn by wealthy women and 5 that would be worn by poor women; creating a "family portrait" of your own family in medieval style (either drawing or photoshop) and describing your lives as a medieval family... and 20 other projects! So many of them are appealing to DS, that it will be hard to limit him to "just" 16-18 of the 30 (I can see him spending weeks on designing a school for knights). Some can be done by younger kids, just with less research (e.g., learning about dragons, making a sword & shield), and some of them the kids could do together (building a model of a castle, performing a play) so I'm sure I can find things appropriate for DD as well as DS.

Since all of the discussion questions relate to the themes, history and literature are automatically linked (that alone saves me untold hours), and I can easily tie in additional literature/plays/films, such as Robin Hood (many discussion questions on RH relating to The Sword in the Stone), Henry V (project on monarchy relating to Ill-Made Knight), Good Masters & Sweet Ladies, etc.

I really like that it includes writing instruction on the TCQC format short answer and the 3-5 page essay, and I love the final project: to create a chivalric hero with a quest and tell his story in any of several forms (short story, play, video, comic book/graphic novel, epic poem, etc). DS12 has already decided he will be using Comic Life software and assorted medieval lego kits to create his final project. :D

Jackie

TC is for Teaching Company-right? It's listed as a 10 week course, are your spreading it out or using it more as a supplement to TC? What are the four projects? What are you doing for Prydain?

Yep, TC is Teaching Company, they have a 36-lecture course called The Medieval World*, which is taught by a professor of Medieval lit and which focuses more on everyday life and culture in the Middle Ages, as opposed to battles and kings.

As for the Duke course, Lisa and I are planning to do one lesson/wk, rather than trying to fit in 2 lessons/wk, but it could be done in 10 wks as well.

Prydain would be reading for pleasure, with discussion but no papers (at least that's what I'm planning).

Jackie

*(It's currently on sale for $100, plus free shipping, use code YWBZ.)

Martha, the link Jackie gave you is for the Duke TIP study for King Arthur. Here are a few threads discussing it:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171697&highlight=Duke

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177831&highlight=Duke

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181755&highlight=Duke

The kids are basically using The Once and Future King by T.H. White to learn about various aspects of medieval life. They read a couple of chapters, answer questions and every few of weeks work on some cool projects. I have simplified it down. Jackie as much more apt descriptions in the threads above. Along with the discussion about the Duke study we've been looking at ways to incorporate LLofLOTR for lit analysis and then we talked about using Prydain Chronicles as well. I've tried looking for a good study to go along with Prydain but haven't found one yet. They would be fun for the middle ages. We used Alexander's The Iron Ring this year on whim because I couldn't find anything I wanted to use for ancient India. It was an amazing time for literary conversation with this boy that I had despaired of ever having a literary conversation with.

But I digress...

Edited by swimmermom3
Added link

Since we're covering it for 7th rather than saving it for high school, I'm going to get the Sparknotes or another literary guide and really get the most out of it.

Since we're covering it for 7th rather than saving it for high school, I'm going to get the Sparknotes or another literary guide and really get the most out of it.

Good! Then I can discuss it with you, right? I know Swimmer Dude is going to want to talk about it; it's just quirky enough. We are going to start at the end of September or the first part of October. I am going to take a week out from regular history to cover to start the study with the introduction and the first lesson. Swimmer Dude is going to read Black Horse for the King on his own for a reader that week because it places Arthur in the 6th century as a Celtic chieftain and will watch a 30 min. TC lecture on the topic. I am going to be tyrannical and have him do the project about "In Search of Arthur" in the Duke guide. After that week, we'll spend one day a week on it and the rest of the week on our regular history. I think it would be fun here to just to a quick literary lesson that pertains to that week's lesson. Nothing terribly demanding but I know Dude is going to ask about using modern metaphors in a medieval time setting so we might as well tackle it and I should know what I am talking about.

If any needs to cover their ears...i am writing in the book.:D

Good! Then I can discuss it with you, right? I know Swimmer Dude is going to want to talk about it; it's just quirky enough. We are going to start at the end of September or the first part of October. I am going to take a week out from regular history to cover to start the study with the introduction and the first lesson. Swimmer Dude is going to read Black Horse for the King on his own for a reader that week because it places Arthur in the 6th century as a Celtic chieftain and will watch a 30 min. TC lecture on the topic. I am going to be tyrannical and have him do the project about "In Search of Arthur" in the Duke guide. After that week, we'll spend one day a week on it and the rest of the week on our regular history. I think it would be fun here to just to a quick literary lesson that pertains to that week's lesson. Nothing terribly demanding but I know Dude is going to ask about using modern metaphors in a medieval time setting so we might as well tackle it and I should know what I am talking about.

If any needs to cover their ears...i am writing in the book.:D

Sounds like a plan. That gives me time to get the program and get acquainted with it. Is Sparknotes the way to go or Cliffnotes for literary themes, etc.? Or is there another guide? Seems like there should be a lot of stuff out there. If we could stick Monty Python in there, all the better.

7th grade is getting expensive.

I am a year behind y'all. We will be doing Medieval next year with Duke and LLofTLOTR. I am also on the lookout for The Medieval World to go on sale this year. I am really excited about next year!

Thank you for discussing this on the board. I love these kinds of discussions to be able to eavesdrop on all of your brainstorming.

Although I can't join y'all, I wanted to share another King Arthur resource. The Search for King Arthur by David Day. I found this gem at the library. It's more of a history of the development of the Arthur legend, but it is written for middle school and up. It takes each aspect of the Legend, such as Arthur himself, Excalibur, Merlin, etc and takes it back to where it could have originated from myths, when it was introduced into the legend, and quotes primary sources.

The illustrations are taken from the gamut of paintings through the ages, they are numerous and beautiful. I bought one copy and am considering buying another just for the illustrations.

Two caveats, one it does make the claim of who Arthur was, I can't remember if it states it definitively or just as a possibility. I'm not sure if Arthur's real identity has been readily established or not. Two it does not shy away from the lusty issues within the Arthur legend. For me it discusses the issues in a factual, vagueness of language, way that I wouldn't have issue with it. However, preview for your own comfort level, especially that chapter on Naiads.

It also has a forward by Terry Jones of Monty Python fame.

I'm currently on a King Arthur kick of my own and I enjoyed it. For it's price on Amazon for a used copy, it is worth the investment.

Holy smokes!

I just finished reading those links ...

I need to make some excel spreadsheet to correlate all that information on TTC, Duke, Prydain, and LLfromLoTR because my brain circuits are frying trying to place how that would all flow over 36 weeks and what each of those weeks would look entail.:svengo:

But it does sound awesome impressive interesting and fun.:drool:

Sounds like a plan. That gives me time to get the program and get acquainted with it. Is Sparknotes the way to go or Cliffnotes for literary themes, etc.? Or is there another guide? Seems like there should be a lot of stuff out there. If we could stick Monty Python in there, all the better.

7th grade is getting expensive.

I am not in love with the idea of Sparknotes or Cliffnotes but in this case I'll take whatever is recommended. The Center for Learning used to have a literary guide but no longer does, so I am open to suggestions. I didn't want to beat the book into the ground but there is too much good stuff to work with. Happygrrl does a lot of movie nights, I think, and I was going to talk to her about how she does those. Also, Julie Bogart is a proponent of movie nights and I think she has a hand-out on her web site. My kids have watched The Holy Grail a dozen times but if we started looking for allusions (thank you, Jane in NC) it would definitely give it a different light. Too fun!

I am a year behind y'all. We will be doing Medieval next year with Duke and LLofTLOTR. I am also on the lookout for The Medieval World to go on sale this year. I am really excited about next year!

Thank you for discussing this on the board. I love these kinds of discussions to be able to eavesdrop on all of your brainstorming.

Ah, see the advantage for you, Julia, is that you can hear all of our, "Well, that was a learning experience," stories.:D

Although I can't join y'all, I wanted to share another King Arthur resource. The Search for King Arthur by David Day. I found this gem at the library. It's more of a history of the development of the Arthur legend, but it is written for middle school and up. It takes each aspect of the Legend, such as Arthur himself, Excalibur, Merlin, etc and takes it back to where it could have originated from myths, when it was introduced into the legend, and quotes primary sources.

The illustrations are taken from the gamut of paintings through the ages, they are numerous and beautiful. I bought one copy and am considering buying another just for the illustrations.

Two caveats, one it does make the claim of who Arthur was, I can't remember if it states it definitively or just as a possibility. I'm not sure if Arthur's real identity has been readily established or not. Two it does not shy away from the lusty issues within the Arthur legend. For me it discusses the issues in a factual, vagueness of language, way that I wouldn't have issue with it. However, preview for your own comfort level, especially that chapter on Naiads.

It also has a forward by Terry Jones of Monty Python fame.

I'm currently on a King Arthur kick of my own and I enjoyed it. For it's price on Amazon for a used copy, it is worth the investment.

Gee thanks, Paula. This sounds even better than the current resource I have for this topic. I'm surprised that Amazon doesn't send me a get well card when I don't show up for a couple of days.:tongue_smilie: Have you read the Rosemary Sutcliff book, The Sword at Sunset, yet. I'm dying to hear what you think. Her take on the se*uality issue is intriguing.

Holy smokes!

I just finished reading those links ...

I need to make some excel spreadsheet to correlate all that information on TTC, Duke, Prydain, and LLfromLoTR because my brain circuits are frying trying to place how that would all flow over 36 weeks and what each of those weeks would look entail.:svengo:

But it does sound awesome impressive interesting and fun.:drool:

Come on, Martha, you know you want to.:D Join us, I mean, not spend the day making Excel sheets, although I am about at the point.

So should we start "Who is doing DUKE Tip King Arthur next year," thread? :lol:

The way my luck goes, we'll get to Arthur sometime this spring, when Swimmermom's all done, and you guys aren't ready yet... :glare::001_rolleyes:

Of course, given the typical glacial pace at which we get through history, it may well be next year... :tongue_smilie:

Tentative first quarter schedule - subject to whim...I mean change:

Week 1- Sept. 7 to Sept. 10, 2010

Literature: The Hound of Ulster; continue Unit 5 LLfLOTR work on epics.

Week 2 -4

Literature – Beowulf

· LLfLOTR- Units 6A & B, 7A & B

o Gnomic sayings, aphorisms, kennings, epithets, alliterative meter, alliteration

o Continue to discuss epic conventions as Beowulf is first English epic.

o Discuss imaginary history (will apply to Once and Future King as well), monsters, and heroes.

· LL British Medieval

o Foreshadowing

o Anglo-Saxon Riddles – metaphor

Duke King Arthur – Week 4 (Sept. 27 – Oct. 1, 2010)

· Introduction, Lesson 1

· Discuss and demonstrate annotation and TCQC (short answer)

· Introduce Project 1 which is “In Search of King Arthur.” This is due in Week 9.

· Read Black Horses for the King this week as reader to see Arthur set in 6th century as Celtic chieftain.

· TC lecture on King Arthur

· No other history work this week.

Note: We will not be keeping a journal but will have a notebook for organizing information. We will do select questions orally and Swimmer Dude will answer one TCQC in writing per week.

Weeks 5-7

Duke King Arthur – Lessons 2-4; continue work on project

Literature – The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander

· LLfLOTR – Unit 8: Exploring Genre: Fantasy as Literature (applies Prydain & O&FK).

· 3 week study of character development and identification: antagonist, protagonist, and 6 methods for developing characters. Study and apply to O &FK once a week or one week out of the three.

Week 8

DKA – Lesson 5; continue work on project

Literature – Poetry – TBA. Possibly Song of Roland (selections) to add to epic book (oldest French)

Week 9 – (November 1-5)

DKA – put final touches on Project #1 and turn in.

Literature – Shakespeare Stories by Leon Garfield. Nothing too demanding here. Background historical information, read story and view a production. Begin Shakespeare notebook. (This should probably take Weeks 8 & 9)

I have not listed any other reading, but Norse mythology will be in here when we get to the Vikings.

Edited by swimmermom3

Tentative first quarter schedule - subject to whim...I mean change:

Week 1- Sept. 7 to Sept. 10, 2010

Literature: The Hound of Ulster; continue Unit 5 LLfLOTR work on epics.

Week 2 -4

Literature – Beowulf

· LLfLOTR- Units 6A & B, 7A & B

o Gnomic sayings, aphorisms, kennings, epithets, alliterative meter, alliteration

o Continue to discuss epic conventions as Beowulf is first English epic.

o Discuss imaginary history (will apply to Once and Future King as well), monsters, and heroes.

· LL British Medieval

o Foreshadowing

o Anglo-Saxon Riddles – metaphor

Duke King Arthur – Week 4 (Sept. 27 – Oct. 1, 2010)

· Introduction, Lesson 1

· Discuss and demonstrate annotation and TCQC (short answer)

· Introduce Project 1 which is “In Search of King Arthur.†This is due in Week 9.

· Read Black Horses for the King this week as reader to see Arthur set in 6th century as Celtic chieftain.

· TC lecture on King Arthur

· No other history work this week.

Note: We will not be keeping a journal but will have a notebook for organizing information. We will do select questions orally and Swimmer Dude will answer one TCQC in writing per week.

Weeks 5-7

Duke King Arthur – Lessons 2-4; continue work on project

Literature – The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander

· LLfLOTR – Unit 8: Exploring Genre: Fantasy as Literature (applies Prydain & O&FK).

· 3 week study of character development and identification: antagonist, protagonist, and 6 methods for developing characters. Study and apply to O &FK once a week or one week out of the three.

Week 8

DKA – Lesson 5; continue work on project

Literature – Poetry – TBA. Possibly Song of Roland (selections) to add to epic book (oldest French)

Week 9 – (November 1-5)

DKA – put final touches on Project #1 and turn in.

Literature – Shakespeare Stories by Leon Garfield. Nothing too demanding here. Background historical information, read story and view a production. Begin Shakespeare notebook. (This should probably take Weeks 8 & 9)

I have not listed any other reading, but Norse mythology will be in here when we get to the Vikings.

Ooh, you had to drag Shakespeare into it. :tongue_smilie: I'm not ready to plan him, yet. :D

In the history text we're using, I've got Islam, Africa, and Asia to cover before it gets to Europe. Since they are in discrete units, I could do them whenever I wanted this year. I was thinking of starting the year off with Islam, but I could start it with Europe and do units studies throughout the year preferably before I get to the Age of Exploration. That way that can be the first thing we do for the last quarter and I can begin American history at that point. I need to hurry up and decide, though, so I can get the books I need pretty quickly.

Ooh, you had to drag Shakespeare into it. :tongue_smilie: I'm not ready to plan him, yet. :D

In the history text we're using, I've got Islam, Africa, and Asia to cover before it gets to Europe. Since they are in discrete units, I could do them whenever I wanted this year. I was thinking of starting the year off with Islam, but I could start it with Europe and do units studies throughout the year preferably before I get to the Age of Exploration. That way that can be the first thing we do for the last quarter and I can begin American history at that point. I need to hurry up and decide, though, so I can get the books I need pretty quickly.

This is similar to my plan — we're doing Europe in the fall, continuing into the Renaissance in the late winter/early spring (which is when we'll do Shakespeare — we will have more than enough reading with Once & Future King plus all the Prydain books this fall). Then we'll do Explorers, followed by unit studies in geography/history/religion/culture of various areas (e.g. Africa/Middle East & Islam; India & Hinduism; Asia & Buddhism, etc), ending with Mesoamerican civilizations, which will then lead into US History.

Jackie

This is similar to my plan — we're doing Europe in the fall, continuing into the Renaissance in the late winter/early spring (which is when we'll do Shakespeare — we will have more than enough reading with Once & Future King plus all the Prydain books this fall). Then we'll do Explorers, followed by unit studies in geography/history/religion/culture of various areas (e.g. Africa/Middle East & Islam; India & Hinduism; Asia & Buddhism, etc), ending with Mesoamerican civilizations, which will then lead into US History.

Jackie

Oh, now you all have to make me waiver on my history sequence!:tongue_smilie: Which is fine since I have this problem every year, I have Plan A and Plan B. Plan A is basically chronological and Plan B is by geographic region: Europe, Asia, Americas (only Maya, Aztec, Inca), Africa, and then back to Europe with the Renaissance, Reformation, and Explorers. One reason I chose the chronological while I did things by geography last year was to cope with my literature analysis goals: the WTM list with work specific goals, Pydrain with the basic skills covering character, stetting, theme,etc.

If I squash Europe into the first third of the year along with the classic lit and Pydrain, I'll make myself crazy. This way I can spread the lit analysis out and still intersperse other works. So while we were in Japan, we could read The Samurai's Tale and still work on analysis with Pydrain. Oh, and i already did Hinduism and Buddhism as part of our world religions study last year. We studied them when they originated. That's why all I have left is Islam.

However, we all know I can be persuaded.:tongue_smilie:

Oh, now you all have to make me waiver on my history sequence!:tongue_smilie: Which is fine since I have this problem every year, I have Plan A and Plan B. Plan A is basically chronological and Plan B is by geographic region: Europe, Asia, Americas (only Maya, Aztec, Inca), Africa, and then back to Europe with the Renaissance, Reformation, and Explorers. One reason I chose the chronological while I did things by geography last year was to cope with my literature analysis goals: the WTM list with work specific goals, Pydrain with the basic skills covering character, stetting, theme,etc.

If I squash Europe into the first third of the year along with the classic lit and Pydrain, I'll make myself crazy. This way I can spread the lit analysis out and still intersperse other works. So while we were in Japan, we could read The Samurai's Tale and still work on analysis with Pydrain. Oh, and i already did Hinduism and Buddhism as part of our world religions study last year. We studied them when they originated. That's why all I have left is Islam.

However, we all know I can be persuaded.:tongue_smilie:

We did it by region for Ancients for 6th and it worked. Elementary was chronological and dd didn't like it as well. It's still kinda chronological, though.

It would be more like covering Europe for the first 2 quarters and a little of the 3rd. Doing the rest of the world during that 3rd quarter (with a bit of overlap as needed) ending w/Meso and the 4th quarter beginning with exploration. We would be doing Samurai's Tale in the 3rd quarter. Does that make sense?

1st quarter--Europe (Arthur)

2nd quarter--Europe (Arthur; Shakespeare)

3rd quarter--finish up loose ends for Europe (Finish up Shakespeare); Islam, Africa; Asia; Meso

4th quarter--Exploration; US history

Of course, I'm flexible, too. I plan on lining up any works you want to discuss when you want and I could easily treat that region (Japan/Samurai's Tale) as a unit study to do along with whatever part of Europe we're studying. I'm pretty easy. That's the hardest part, though. Putting together the sequence so you can plug in the books. Honestly, I'm keen to follow your 1st quarter and substitute our text and lit for LLfLOTR and TC lectures.

I have a sixth grader who will do this- female - any other girls tackling this program? It looks spectacular - our first Duke adventure. Way too much on our agenda; it should prove interesting. Thanks for all of the ideas.

My dd's doing it. We're going to be following swimmermom's schedule. :tongue_smilie:

I've got a variety of spines so I'm flexible. Human Odyssey starts with Byzantine Empire, then Islam, Africa, and back west to Europe. I have less trouble figuring out the ordering of history units then I do with the lit. The more I look at Pydrain and Once and Future King, the more potential I see for lit analysis. The Alexander books aren't very difficult reads but they should be good for practicing basic analysis on without having to struggle for understanding as well. A comparison and contrast essay between Wart and Taran, their respective education, Merlin vs. Dalbin, both authors' anti-war stances could be in order. What's on your must-do for literature?

Dh told me to buy the TIP stuff bc it's only $35.

I said but if you give a mom the TIP stuff, she's gonna want the TTC DVDs, which is way NOT just $35.

Dh said to wait on TTC but to get TTC and work on some Prydain stuff as we have all the Lloyd Alexander books.

However, I will not be taking two years to do this bc I'm combining my 7th grader with his big brothers for LLfroLOTR.

I'm going to order the DUKE unit and make a spreadsheet. Bc that's just how I roll.;)

Well, it's only a little more: currently on sale for $99.95 with free shipping (YWBZ). ;)

Jackie

I just received a catalogue in the mail and it said the DVD set was $179 on sale. Did you get that price from the website? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong ones. :confused:

I just received a catalogue in the mail and it said the DVD set was $179 on sale. Did you get that price from the website? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong ones. :confused:

It's The Medieval World by Dorsey Armstrong. Are you looking at the price for the set of Medieval World + Vikings? The price for the two courses together is $179.90. If you click the link, it should show the Medieval World for $99.95, and if you use the code YWBZ it should deduct the shipping cost.

Jackie

I have a sixth grader who will do this- female - any other girls tackling this program? It looks spectacular - our first Duke adventure. Way too much on our agenda; it should prove interesting. Thanks for all of the ideas.

We've been trying to talk another mom with a dd into it.:D I think a few of us with boys would really like to hear about the medieval fashion show! I thought there was one more female doing it. It should be a blast.