Menu

Pros/cons of a second dog?

We love dogs - love them. We are active. We hike, geocache, boat, etc. We have always had larger dogs - bearded collie, greyhound and large mixed dogs.

When my oldest was three we thought getting a puppy was a good time as I was just pregnant and wouldn't be able to work as much on the housetraining, etc. right after the baby was born. I researched it a lot and thought a bichon would be right for us.

She is a sweet dog, but she doesn't really play with the kids (chase balls), she doesn't come when she is called. She has a mind of her own:001_smile: I took her to obedience training. She's not bad in any way, just more of an adult's dog than a child's dog.

I am addicted to searching petfinder. I can't help it. I regularly look for bearded collies. I would love to have another one. There aren't many in Canada. There is one right now in MI that looks so much like the beardie we used to have. But being in Can. will likely not work.

So there is a lovely Golden Retriever listed about 4 hours away. Golden's are a favourite family dog for a reason. Dh says to get him if I want to. The kids would be thrilled. But I'm scared to upset the apple cart. When I make a decision like this it is usually the wrong one :glare:

Would you wait for a bearded collie to come along? Realize that the golden is likely a lovely dog and send in the application? Or keep things the way the are? I love my little dog, but she just isn't the snuggly, rough and tumble, play ball till she drops kind of dog we have always had.

I'm supposed to be thoroughly cleaning the house this morning can you tell????

Edited by mamapjama

Goldens are probably the sweetest dogs out there:D They are absolutely wonderful family dogs. You really can't go wrong with them.

Unless you think you'll be disappointed later by not waiting for a particular breed, I'd say to go get the Golden!

I really really want a Golden! I've never heard a bad thing about them. We just recently got a chihuahua/Jack russell pup. She's cute as can be, but I'll just say that I wish we'd gotten a golden instead. We have two dogs right now. Our other is an amazing jack russell we got when we were first married (he's nearly 11 years old now). When he passes away one day, I'll probably get a golden.

I cant imagine being disappointed with a Golden, either. They are beautiful. if you dont mind the extra work and vacuuming etc, I would go for it. Usually once I am obsessed with getting a pet, it happens.

We have 2 dogs. The first is sooooo placid and lazy and affectionate. She loves her walks but wont fetch balls. She is definitely friendly. But dh wanted his own dog (she is mine) and bought himself a little JR/shihtzu thingy- and she is so totally opposite to the other dog. They adore each other though and Little Dog will play and tussle with Big Dog while Big Dog just lies there patiently. Little dog will jump in your lap the moment you sit, and if you stop patting her, she will nudge you continually till you continue Big dog will just lie nearby and sleep, and every now and then come and put her head on your lap for a stroke.

I prefer big dogs though.

I say go for it! But, of course, we have 3 dogs, 4 cats, and 2 goats, so I am an animal person. I absolutely love Goldens! Is the one you are looking at a puppy? I prefer to adopt older dogs because they seem to be so much easier than puppies. I tend to think puppy's have one redeeming quality, and that is puppy breath. :D

My family pets growing up were Goldens, and I adore them. They are sweet, tolerant of children, loving, affectionate, obedient and smart.

The thing is... Certain Goldens can be very hyper. If I was you, I would visit the family if at all possible. You should be able to meet the parents and see how relaxed they were. When my parents picked out our puppies, we would roll them over onto their backs and cradle them. If they would allow this and relax in your arms while you scratched their tummies, it was a nice calm dog.

so - you're asking two different questions:

1) do you want a 2nd dog

2) if yes, what kind should it be

I think the answer to 1) is yes unless your bichon has huge issues with other dogs. Have you ever had dogs visit you? Does she like dogs? Does she come alive at the dog park? I think most dogs do better with company of their own species..... Her bhvr might change a lot with another dog. Dogs learn so much from each other so if your next dog is playful with people, she might start doing it too.

(for eg. My malamute x was VERY uninterested in water. To the extent that she'd walk around a small puddle rather than get one toe wet :D I took her to the lake & ocean lots of times & tried to entice her in & she'd just stand at the beach looking forlornly at me. HWVR, she got a new bff who is a lab X and she adores this dog. We go to the beach at low tide to play in the tidal pools with them & now Daisy runs into the water like crazy, even into the deep ones & we've discovered that yes, she actually knows how to swim (though she still doesn't do it willingly) And fetching & interest in toys in general is a classic skill which many dogs learn from each other.)

2) what type of dog. Hmm, harder. I had my heart set on an English Setter (get the bad pun? :tongue_smilie:) but they're as rare as an honest politician here. I'm in Vancouver & all the ES's in the world are apparently in Arkansas & Illinois. Someone volunteered to drive & pick one up for me but I was worried about adopting a dog sight unseen. Eventually one popped up in rescue in WA state!!!! I did my application, they did a home check through contacts in the rescue community & met at a half way point in Washington to do the transfer. I ADORE my setter! And to this day it's the only English Setter I've met. They're that rare here. I've heard of a few & I know there's a really top notch CKC breeder (& I contacted her to be put on the list if one came into rescue but there aren't ANY in rescue & also these are the show/bench lines & not the field, which mine is....)

SO - all this to say that yes, adopting from the US is more than possible. It can be pretty easy actually. BUT also, the Canadian Beardie club has a rescue wing http://bccc.pair.com/rescue.html - IME, these dogs will not always show up on petfinder. Some of the clubs don't have petfinder accounts at all. You need to contact them & also contact the breeders in the club directory & let them know you're looking for a rescue. Word of mouth is still very important with club breed rescue, esp with the less popular breeds.

As far as the golden - I love goldens too but just like any other dog, they're not 'guaranteed'. There's been a lot of BYB and mill goldens out there with huge behavioural issues. And actually there's been documented aggression in show line goldens too.

http://retrieverman.wordpress.com/2009/01/15/are-golden-retrievers-becoming-more-aggressive/

http://retrieverman.wordpress.com/2009/03/23/another-aggressive-golden-retriever/

So you would need to do your homework about this dog's bhvr just like any other dog, kwim? Not trying to dissuade you from the golden but everyone chimes in with 'they're such great dogs' but the fact is there are a lot of goldens with significant issues out there.

If you're even considering a beardie, then grooming is not going to be an issue with a golden. The golden would be easy compared to the beardie LOL.

Play & goofiness is probably comparable.

If you're going to end up being the prime caregiver etc for this dog, maybe you should get what you really want, kwim?

OTOH, once you have two, three is a snap. Maybe you want both a beardie & a golden :D (just check your bylaws - 3 is my max in our city)

My family pets growing up were Goldens, and I adore them. They are sweet, tolerant of children, loving, affectionate, obedient and smart.

The thing is... Certain Goldens can be very hyper. If I was you, I would visit the family if at all possible. You should be able to meet the parents and see how relaxed they were. When my parents picked out our puppies, we would roll them over onto their backs and cradle them. If they would allow this and relax in your arms while you scratched their tummies, it was a nice calm dog.

:iagree:

We love our Goldens, but you should check out the parents. And be prepared for chewing... and lots of hair. They grow out of the chewing after about a year. And if you don't exercise them enough, they might dig or find other home projects. But they are still, IMHO, the best family dogs ever.

Best wishes in your quest for a dog.

Thanks everyone :)

The dog is 1 1/2 years old, so he will still be young and excitable, but hopefully not quite so much work as a brand new pup. The SPCA says he came in as a stray. He knows some basic commands but they aren't too sure about housetraining etc.

I would love to visit him first, and bring my bichon along, but 4 1/2 hours of driving is too far for a quick visit.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16853172

Isn't he lovely?

I'm not sure how my bichon will like having another dog in the house. The dogs she meets in the park etc. (she is always on lead) always get right in her face. I think it's because she is so pretty :lol: She doesn't appreciate it at all. She stands still and gives them the face that means back off. I usually just pick her up.

I wish the dog was closer and we could visit a bit.

Edited by mamapjama

Oh my goodness, he is adorable!!! He's still young enough to train properly too. I would definitely take your other dog with you if you decide to meet him. Take the kids too. BUT, be prepared to walk away if the dog doesn't get along with the kids or the other dog.

Goldens are 'people pleasers', and are pretty easy to train. He has about another 6-12 months of his hyper stage, but once he calms down, he should be a fantastic family pet.

Like someone else said, make sure you have LOTS of chew toys and are able to exercise him. If they get bored they can do some damage.

Oh and you probably know this but give your dog time to adjust to the new puppy. When we got a second dog it was because our chihuahua had separation anxiety. (My kids were attending private school and I was in college so we were gone a lot.) So we decided to get another dog so he wouldn't be alone all day. We joked that we got a dog for our dog. Anyway, we brought Monster home, this fat, fluffy, clumsy shih tzu puppy and Zeus (the chihuahua) flipped out. He freaked if Monster got anywhere near him and hid under the furniture from him. A week later they were playing together and a year later, and now they're best friends even if Zeus prefers to lay in the sun and Monster prefers to lay in the air conditioning.

I have a Golden and he is a wonderful dog. Very well trained, very friendly and loveable but he sure does take a lot of work. He is very active and needs to be walked daily as well as time in the backyard running around. Grooming is just ridiculous. I have him professionaly groomed once every eight weeks. He really needs it every month but it costs $100 a pop and I can't afford that. So I brush in between but I still have tumble weeds throughout the house. He currently has diarrhea and he is very guarded about me cleaning that area so that's a big mess.

We just got a second dog. He is not trained and I have found that it is almost impossible to get two dogs to do two different things at the same time. I tell one to sit and the other to go and they either both sit or both go. Their play can get quite rowdy as well and breaking them up and getting them to calm day is crazy. They are constantly taking each other's bones, food, toys, etc. It is just like having siblings. More than twice the work and if your dog is not very socialable then that can be a problem. Oh and don't forget about the extra expense either.

I guess I wasn't much help but hopefully I have given you some things to consider.

I have found that it is almost impossible to get two dogs to do two different things at the same time. I tell one to sit and the other to go and they either both sit or both go.

This is true & an important aspect. Each dog requires daily one on one training. It can be short - 5 -10 mins but they need individual attn. Then you can work on training them together on such things as group stays & calling just one dog to you etc. But you need to build the foundation by training individually & that does take time.

I think two dogs is a GREAT number. I loved it when we had two. The adult dog is a big help potty training and exercising the pup, too! Only downside is it is a bit harder to take two everywhere, so if you usually take your solo dog on trips, to the park, etc. . . then know that it might be harder with two. (Not impossible, but a bit harder.) Now, five is ridiculous. Ask me how I know. ;) We have four right now. . . I love them all dearly, but still think that two is the ideal number.

Only downside is it is a bit harder to take two everywhere, so if you usually take your solo dog on trips, to the park, etc. . . then know that it might be harder with two.

yeah, I've got 2 of mine (80 lb & 50 lb) + 1 foster (80 lb). Getting crates sorted out in the car has required some creative solutions - but gosh, it's so much fun to have a pack of the monsters!

How big are your 4 StephanieZ?

We have a golden/lab mix. He is 5 years old. We could not have asked for a better dog. He is wonderful with everyone!

With that said, he is spoiled rotten and we did try to get another dog, and it just didn't work.

I felt guilty for not being able to spend that quality time with my first dog. And my golden did "okay" with another dog, but I did notice a big change in him, so we ended up rehoming the other dog.

It is also another HUGE expense. Vet bills are crazy. We just took our dog in for his annual visit and it was over $200.00!!

If you are really serious about getting a second dog, be prepared for a huge change in your family dynamics. Your first dog is going to have to get used to not only a new puppy, but also a new baby. That is a lot of change for a dog. His place in the pack will get disrupted.

I love goldens and labs. And they do make WONDERFUL family dogs. If you do get another dog, that would be the breed I would go with.

Good luck!!