Menu

What geography curriculums/workbooks/books anything are out there?

hsmom

Since geography is so much more than teaching states and continents, I want one that teaches it all. I am looking for open and go also it needs to be secular. It needs to include the various vocabulary, be about maps, landforms, bodies of water, locations, all of it.

So, what are my options? What do you recommend. This will be for a first grader, now I would like something that I could use that progresses each year and stick with the same program. I am so tired of searching each year for something new. I want to find a program that goes for a couple years or more and is a good program. I am a dreaming here?:)

Since geography is so much more than teaching states and continents, I want one that teaches it all. I am looking for open and go also it needs to be secular. It needs to include the various vocabulary, be about maps, landforms, bodies of water, locations, all of it.

So, what are my options? What do you recommend. This will be for a first grader, now I would like something that I could use that progresses each year and stick with the same program. I am so tired of searching each year for something new. I want to find a program that goes for a couple years or more and is a good program. I am a dreaming here?:)

evan moor daily geography

We're using Visual World Geography. It is based on memory devices. The memory stories are silly but the girls remember them. It has worked great for us. It does include info about the countries but is somewhat limited. We backed it up with a cultural geography course that the girls took via FLVS.

I echo Evan Moor's Daily Geography Practice--It has grades 1-6+ covered. There is repetition built in along with some new material. Great vocabulary.

http://www.evan-moor.com/Series.aspx?CurriculumID=7&ClassID=190&SeriesID=32

We have also used and like Maps, Charts, Graphs. Also spirals, but does introduce new material.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1278693929-1715868&subject=14&category=4711

Both my dc did very well on the ITBS in the geography/maps/diagrams sections.

I quite like the Galore Park Geography books, So You Really Want to Learn Geography, Book 1 and Book 2.

ETA: Oops... I missed that it was for your 1st grader. The Evan-Moore Daily Geography books are open-and-go.

Edited by nmoira

I was just looking into this very thing for my 1st & 4th graders. I like the looks of Evan Moor's "Seven Continents Series". We are going to be choosing three of these for this coming year. I also liked MCP Maps, Charts & Graphs, or Map Skills (Carson Dellosa). I also looked at Down to Earth Geography because it had different grade levels, but you would be studying the same topic. (I found a lot of these at rainbow resource). http://www.guesthollow.com also has free "country and cultures" lapbook printouts if you'd like to create notebook pages about each country you are studying.

There is Down to Earth Geography from Teacher Created Resources. I like the Frank Schaffer Map books ( think there are two, one for 4-5 and one for 5-6). I liked the look when I saw them in a store.

Having a good, age-appropriate atlas and some maps available and at hand, to be consulted whenever a place comes up in reading, has been very rewarding for us. I also got a tear off pad of world maps, about 15 x 8, at a teacher supply store, so I can draw out routes, if one comes up.

We're using Visual World Geography. It is based on memory devices. The memory stories are silly but the girls remember them. It has worked great for us. It does include info about the countries but is somewhat limited. We backed it up with a cultural geography course that the girls took via FLVS.

I googled. Do you mean "Visual Geography: World" at www.visualgeography.com, or something else?

http://www.google.com/search?q=visual+world+geogrpahy&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a