Menu

Upgrading your wedding bands?

Would you upgrade your engagement/wedding rings?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Would you upgrade your engagement/wedding rings?

• I have already upgraded my rings, hooray!
    • I plan to upgrade my rings at some point.
    • I'd love to upgrade my rings, except for the financial aspect.
    • I wouldn't mind upgrading, if dh surprised me and I didn't have to think about the finances.
    • I would like to "upgrade" with a flashy-looking ring that is actually inexpensive.
    • I'd like to upgrade both my rings and dh's ring.
    • I am torn on the issue.
    • I am too attached, I don't want to upgrade (but I might like an additional ring!)
    • I just like to vote in polls, I have no opinion.
    • Other.

I voted that we upgraded already, but really it was a replacement of my original wedding band which I lost several years ago. The original was a plain white gold band, but the replacement was a simple platinum band (engagement ring is platinum) with several small diamonds. My engagement ring doesn't need upgrading, but I think I would have wanted to replace the wedding band eventually even if I hadn't lost it. The white gold next to the platinum bothered me a little. I don't think DH will ever want to change out his band.

Oh my! Just discovered how old this thread is!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm too attached, but I don't want another ring. I have to tell the story of the ring I wear on my little finger beside my wedding rings. At our wedding rehearsal, my husband gave me a small ruby (just the stone) and read the scripture about finding a wife and her being worth more than rubies. He told the story of how as a little boy he had saved pennies to buy his wife a wedding gift. He bought the stone with the actual pennies he had saved! I had it set into a small-heart shaped ring. It probably means more to me than the engagement ring and band. Yes, I married a sentimental man!

I have bought an "everyday" ring but still wear my original wedding ring on occasion. My wedding ring was my Great-Grandmothers. She died in 1928 when my grandmother was 5. It was stuck in a drawer for 75 years. When I was getting married my great-aunt asked me to try it on and I was the first girl that had hands small enough to fit it. It is a very wide 23k gold band. Inside are my Great-Grandparents initials. Obviously it is very special and irreplaceable. I wore it for about a year till I started worrying it would get messed up. I bought a new one almost exactly like it to wear everyday. I hope one day my dd or dgd will be able to wear my ring :)

I love my simple ring. I love the memories attached to it, and the fact that DH picked it, on his own, and knew so much about me he got me one I loved and still love.

I know many women who upgrade - in fact - it seems pretty common at about the 5 year mark. Big solitaire diamonds that would mean nothing to me except to say "look how big my diamond is!"

Anyway - to me the ring symbolizes the promise we made 20 years ago when I was 18, he was 19 - we had very little money but a lot of love and commitment.

I would never change my rings. Dh and I new from the first week we met, that we would get married. We met on Monday and by Saturday we were discussing babies names. He didn't ask me to marry him, we just knew.

Seven months later, dh's father proposed to us. As in "I can get a good deal on a repo trailer. Are you going to get married anytime soon?" We set the date for four months later. My father threatened me with my life if I gave any less than four months notice, so we gave four months.

Dh and I were very poor. He was working part time and going to school. I was going to school. I could have either an engagement ring or a wedding ring. I chose the wedding ring.

Our rings are like no other. Dh and I made them ourselves. I made his and he made mine. Dh's father had a friend who had a dental lab and made gold teeth. He sold us the little gold bars and and let us use his equipment. What is written in our rings was not engraved. It was cut in the wax by dh and I and is molded in the gold.

When our first anniversary came around, dh and I were still very poor. Still in school and both of us working two part time jobs apiece. Dh scraped together everything he could and bought me my engagement ring. It is a very simple gold band with a single cubic zirconia. That ring means the world to me. Dh ate noodles and beans three times a day and even did without to get it for me.

I will not part with either of my rings and have no need for another.

Melinda

This is so beautiful!

I have no desire to upgrade my rings; they fit me well and are very pretty. I would redo the setting on my engagement ring if it wore down too much, but I have no desire to upgrade. I would possibly like a ring with all of our children's birthstones on it, flanked by DH's and mine, small ones. Maybe after this baby. But it would be an addition, not a replacement.

I am far to attached to replace it! It is very simple, but I think that reflects where we were at that point in our lives. We were young, just getting started financially, and it was what we could afford at the time. And I love that!

This is how I feel. I love my ring. :)

I actually really like my engagement ring. It's a beautiful diamond solitaire. My wedding ring is just a solid gold band. What I would like someday is an additional band of four diamonds (for our four children) that can be worn on the other side of my engagement ring. We are coming up on 18 years but since we will have a child in college for the next 12 years I doubt I will be adding the diamonds any time soon.

Elise in NC