Menu

How much would you pay a 14 yo boy to babysit

2-3 dollars an hour plus food.

He is 14 that should be plenty.

WHAT? Wow! Maybe different areas of the country are different? I live in Kansas City (seems like it would be pretty average pay compared to most of the country, right?) and most 14-year-olds would make $8-10/hour babysitting.

Babysitting is hard work, especially all day. I'd say at least $50/day.

Dang. Maybe I'm undercharging. I babysit about 18-20 hrs a week for a family with a 5 yr old and an almost 2 yr old. I have a LOT of experience in early education. I'm starting to potty train their 2 year old. I bring in art supplies and do projects. I'm working on beginning reading skills with their 5 yr old.

I charge $10 an hour. And I think their mom, who is constantly spending hundreds of dollars on shoes and thousands on new furniture and redoing their kitchen/ basement/ etc (that are in great condition to start with), resents it........

Well, when I babysit I charge $10. (Which is also what I pay my sitters age 14+). I think any more than that is just not fair or right and would feel guilty accepting it. But I do it at night, so they are asleep half the time. I think $10 is about fair for what you do, but I think $12 would not be unfair, either.

It depends on where you live. ;) To get to average going rate where you live you might want to check Craigslist under their childcare section.

Were I live it is around $75 per week (5- 8 hour days) with some giving a discount for the second child.

It depends on where you live. ;) To get to average going rate where you live you might want to check Craigslist under their childcare section.

Were I live it is around $75 per week (5- 8 hour days) with some giving a discount for the second child.

FWIW, "Child care" in Craigslist usually refers to a childcare home, in which there are multiple families sharing one care giver. Rates are much lower in that case.

Babysitting is usually paid like nannying--higher rate, lower ratio.

14 yos are usually not advertising there, either.

I absolutley and 100% agree. Although I know that is not how the real world operates. I was shelving books after school for minimum wage not too long ago. My oldest babysat for about an hour until dh got home. A couple of times the issue of hiring an outside sitter got brought up when my oldest was out-of-pocket. But I knew the sitter would expect more per hour sitting my 6 kids than I made at the library. :glare: Ridiculous!

Actually I think you make the opposite point. I would argue that caring for six children unrelated to you is much more difficult and deserving of higher pay than shelving books at the library. That's why people often have a hard time getting childcare when working a minimum wage job.

Barb

Dang. Maybe I'm undercharging. I babysit about 18-20 hrs a week for a family with a 5 yr old and an almost 2 yr old. I have a LOT of experience in early education. I'm starting to potty train their 2 year old. I bring in art supplies and do projects. I'm working on beginning reading skills with their 5 yr old.

I charge $10 an hour. And I think their mom, who is constantly spending hundreds of dollars on shoes and thousands on new furniture and redoing their kitchen/ basement/ etc (that are in great condition to start with), resents it........

Actually I think you make the opposite point. I would argue that caring for six children unrelated to you is much more difficult and deserving of higher pay than shelving books at the library. That's why people often have a hard time getting childcare when working a minimum wage job.

Barb

I love both of you. LOVE..... feel it?

Around here a very good child care with a low ratio and preschool/crafts, etc. gets $25 per day per child, (usually 9-11 hour day) with a discount for siblings. I can see pqr's point. Nearly everyone on this thread is quoting way too high. I would not pay a 14 year old the same as an adult. $2 an hour is awfully low though.

I've heard the same thing before, about paying a teen $10 an hour for baby sitting.

When I ran a dayhome, I had to have my CPR and First Aid, Criminal check, CPS check, and was licensed, meaning I had my home inspected from stem to stern, and unannounced drop in visits. I supplied 2 snacks a day (min of 2 food groups) and lunch (all 4 food groups), crafts, outings, etc, etc.

I made $550 a month. One child, 10 hrs a day. 5 days a week.

So, I made $2.75 an hour (averaging at 20 days a month). And I had parents try to get me to come down in price constantly.

It kills me when I see ppl talk about paying a teenager $10 an hour...yet the average family would lose their minds if their day care provider charged that! How is it fair? Without a daycare provider, both parents can't work...yet it seems that ppl value their 'free time' far more than their 'work time'.

I would pay about $800 for the two weeks, more if the babysitter sis an excellent job. Last summer I paid $500/week for an in-home nanny for my younger two kids. She was excellent. A couple of nights each week she had made the family dinner as an activity with the kids in the afternoon.

I've heard the same thing before, about paying a teen $10 an hour for baby sitting.

When I ran a dayhome, I had to have my CPR and First Aid, Criminal check, CPS check, and was licensed, meaning I had my home inspected from stem to stern, and unannounced drop in visits. I supplied 2 snacks a day (min of 2 food groups) and lunch (all 4 food groups), crafts, outings, etc, etc.

I made $550 a month. One child, 10 hrs a day. 5 days a week.

So, I made $2.75 an hour (averaging at 20 days a month). And I had parents try to get me to come down in price constantly.

It kills me when I see ppl talk about paying a teenager $10 an hour...yet the average family would lose their minds if their day care provider charged that! How is it fair? Without a daycare provider, both parents can't work...yet it seems that ppl value their 'free time' far more than their 'work time'.

Occasional babysitting pays more than a steady daycare job. What you lack in hourly funds you make up in consistency. When my daughter was 14, she nannied for two little girls 18-20 hours a week while their mom went to school. She made a flat $50 a week regardless of whether she worked 15 hours or 22. Her pay was raised to $60 before the job ended, but nothing like the $7-$8 she would get for short notice jobs. People are willing to pay a premium for a sitter they can call at the last minute. Also, when Jenna sits for 3-4 different families she is watching 5-7 kids at a time. The families each kick in $3-$4 per hour, so while she makes $10-$12 an hour, each family is not paying nearly that. Think about what you would make per hour in total if you took on multiple families...I'm sure it's comparable. Maybe you should advertise as an occasional sitter as well and charge what the teens do??

Barb

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

I love both of you. LOVE..... feel it?

Around here a very good child care with a low ratio and preschool/crafts, etc. gets $25 per day per child, (usually 9-11 hour day) with a discount for siblings. I can see pqr's point. Nearly everyone on this thread is quoting way too high. I would not pay a 14 year old the same as an adult. $2 an hour is awfully low though.

Apples and oranges. Daycare isn't the same thing as babysitting. People pay what the local market bears. Markets vary based on local supply and demand. Back before I had kids old enough to stay with my little ones, I've hired terrific teens and crappy adults. I actually had a wonderful teen babysitter turn into a crappy sitter once she graduated from high school. Age doesn't enter into this equation. I pay for quality, period, based on the local going rate. This isn't a moral issue, guys; it's an economic one.

Barb

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

We sometimes use a drop in daycare center, I pay them $15 per hour, (I have three). When we get a babysitter (17 year old home schooled girl), I pay $10 an hour.

I would LOVE a drop-in center. It would be soooo nice to shop for myself without 3 kids hanging on me!

9 days, 6 hours per day, babysitting 2 boys ages 10 and 12? (12 yo is developmentally delayed). I've got an idea in my mind, but curious as to what you would pay. (ds has been hired for this job, and money hasn't been mentioned, yet - they are generous people and we're not worried that he won't be paid).
I feel like the duration of this job makes it more like daycare in my mind than like babysitting. That is why the responses were about daycare.

He is being paid $30 per day. He's excited, I'm very pleased. So, that amounts to $5 per hour. Very nice surprise for us all. Thanks for all your interest.

Sounds like everyone is happy so that is great! That will give him some good spending money!

He is being paid $30 per day. He's excited, I'm very pleased. So, that amounts to $5 per hour. Very nice surprise for us all. Thanks for all your interest.

It will be a couple of weeks of good maturity and fun. I'm glad it's working out. They are lucky to have him babysit.