Menu

How much money would you give.......

for a graduation gift to a high school homeschool graduate known casually through church? We attended a co-op with the family a few years ago, but otherwise we don't socialize outside of church activities. We have been invited to the graduation party, but I don't think I'll have an opportunity to buy a gift. However, any gift ideas are welcome too!

Thanks!

Honestly, I wouldn't give money at all...please don't throw virtual tomatoes at me!!

I would write the graduate a card/letter praising them for the accomplishment, with perhaps a personal anecdote to make them smile. If there is some way your family can assist the graduate as they head off to college or the workforce (maybe you're in a position to obtain interviews for them or have contacts at their college destination) I would indicate that in the letter. I would then cheerfully attend the party.

Our typical gift budget for any random birthday party my kids are invited to is usually $15-20. I think a graduation is more significant than the annual birthday parties, so for an acquaintance, I would probably give $25, either in cash or a gift card. This is a respectable amount to express the sentiment you intend.

Around $25. You could do it as a GC if you like that more. If he is going to college, there will be a need for books supplies, parking fees, perhaps. I wouldn't go to a grad party without a little something that would be helpful to the new grad. If they are going away to college, and you want to give a gift, I don't think you can go wrong with a set of bath towels. You might not even pay $25 if you find a white sale! :)

I posted the same sort of question a few weeks ago. Three teens on my street were graduating and I was invited to their parties. I know all the families because my youngest plays with the youngest siblings of the teens. I have given one of them rides to work a few times. They are all very polite and sweet young men. Based on what I read on this board, I decided to put $20 in the cards I got for them.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

Honestly, I wouldn't give money at all...please don't throw virtual tomatoes at me!!

I would write the graduate a card/letter praising them for the accomplishment, with perhaps a personal anecdote to make them smile. If there is some way your family can assist the graduate as they head off to college or the workforce (maybe you're in a position to obtain interviews for them or have contacts at their college destination) I would indicate that in the letter. I would then cheerfully attend the party.

No tomatoes and everyone's different, but I think it's tacky to go to the party and not bring a gift. Great idea on helping make connections but I would feel guilty not bringing something tangible to the party -- even if it's a homemade gift because I couldn't afford cash (which is what I think most grads can probably most use!!). If I don't know them well enough to bring a gift, I wouldn't go to the party at all.

It's like a wedding, a housewarming, a bday party... we always bring a gift unless the invite says "no gifts" -- and then if I am close to the person I sneak them a gift at a different time!

We had a grad ceremony for 3 teens from our co-op, none of whom I know well, and I gave each a card with $10. Now I kinda feel like a cheapskate! Well, I am a cheapskate, but not usually on gifts. :(

Well, I'm right there with you. $10 is what I would give to someone I didn't really know. We don't have the money at the moment to be that generous.

Come sit next to me, we'll be fine.

We're in the group that needs to watch our pennies. We typically give $10.00 for a graduation gift. We give $20.00 to nieces and nephews or very close friends.

I've also been known to give a thesaurus to young people headed off to college. (I like The Synonym Finder by Rodale.) I do like the towel idea particularly if you are able to personalize it.

Regards,

Kareni

No tomatoes and everyone's different, but I think it's tacky to go to the party and not bring a gift. Great idea on helping make connections but I would feel guilty not bringing something tangible to the party -- even if it's a homemade gift because I couldn't afford cash (which is what I think most grads can probably most use!!). If I don't know them well enough to bring a gift, I wouldn't go to the party at all.

It's like a wedding, a housewarming, a bday party... we always bring a gift unless the invite says "no gifts" -- and then if I am close to the person I sneak them a gift at a different time!

:iagree: If short on $, something simple, a towel set or stationary and stamps or something. Tacky to bring nothing. If you feel like you don't know them well enough to give a gift, don't go to the party.