Menu

Bummed about the oil spill.

It seems like the oil situation in the gulf is old news. I can't believe humans are so tuned off to our planet suffering. I just don't think enough is being done.

:iagree: It's beyond comprehension and makes me physically ill feeling.

Regarding the leak - I'm assuming that either BP and/or our government have put together a think tank of the best engineers from around the world working around the clock on "plugging the * hole". (Am I kidding myself?)

Regarding the oil currently floating in the Gulf - The way I see it, there are only three possibilites regarding the lack of containment/clean-up effort: 1. Incompetence

2. Indifference

3. An Agenda

(Probably should have kept my fingers off the keyboard here, but I'm feeling feisty tonight)

When the e*x*x*o*n Valdez spill happened, many of the birds and animals that were rescued and cleaned up died within two weeks. Their systems couldn't handle that poison.

I keep paying attention. Did you see or hear about what happened yesterday?

"They" are not doing enough and it seems like there is no one in charge.

I love the Gulf of Mexico, seafood, the Keys, paradise.

It seems like the oil situation in the gulf is old news. I can't believe humans are so tuned off to our planet suffering. I just don't think enough is being done.

I can't believe all those bright minds can't take the idea of putting straw on the oil which soaks it up. I guess that doesn't make sense to them.:lol:

A lot of people have turned away from caring about others and just focused on themselves or only on things that affect them personally.:confused:

It is on the news all the time here in Australia.

A team of oil covered animal experts flew over from Australia to help. they said it was terrible, but what they found most disturbing, was that they weren't aloud to assist, and no volunteers are aloud to assist with rescuing animals, you need a certain piece of paper form some government office. It is all tied up in red tape and mountains of paperwork while the animals just sit on the beach and die.

I'm also pretty horrified with the continuing situation with spills in Nigeria. It makes the US spill pale in comparison.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/nigerias-crude-reality-20100622-yvoe.html

It disgusts me that the attention is here and they generally ignore what is going on there. I hadn't heard anything about it. Lots of people over there losing their livelihoods (just like here) but no one is going to help them. Where is their 24-hour claim hotline?

This you tube is scary. I would be interested if anyone else is talking about the potential of them hitting a volcano down there and that is why they cant stop it. It suggests they knew it was unstable, drilled anyway, and now have basically triggered a volcanic eruption.

The ramifications of that, if it is true, are just mind boggling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG_pupjoavU

This you tube is scary. I would be interested if anyone else is talking about the potential of them hitting a volcano down there and that is why they cant stop it. It suggests they knew it was unstable, drilled anyway, and now have basically triggered a volcanic eruption.

The ramifications of that, if it is true, are just mind boggling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG_pupjoavU

I just watched that news commentary. OMG. That is absolutely terrifying. I hope that the volcano theory is not true. He was right, though, it did look like sulfur was spewing from the puncture. In that case, the commentator would be correct in saying that there's nothing they can do until the pressure is released.

I just watched that news commentary. OMG. That is absolutely terrifying. I hope that the volcano theory is not true. He was right, though, it did look like sulfur was spewing from the puncture. In that case, the commentator would be correct in saying that there's nothing they can do until the pressure is released.

The smell of sulphur is pretty distinctive. If that is what is on the surface of the ocean, wouldn't they know? Also, some of that oil that is gushing is being pumped onto a ship in the Gulf. It seems it would be pretty apparent whether they were pumping crude in or not.

Either way, it is horrific!

ETA: "they" meaning people who are helping to clean it up - the regular civilians, not BP or the gov't

The smell of sulphur is pretty distinctive. If that is what is on the surface of the ocean, wouldn't they know? Also, some of that oil that is gushing is being pumped onto a ship in the Gulf. It seems it would be pretty apparent whether they were pumping crude in or not.

Either way, it is horrific!

ETA: "they" meaning people who are helping to clean it up - the regular civilians, not BP or the gov't

You know...I don't think the government or BP would tell us if the volcano theory is correct. I think they would hide it. I don't believe they're that stupid to not know. I took 2 years of Organic Chemistry and I know it would be a very simple test to find out exactly which elements are spewing from that puncture.

I agree with what everybody is saying. This is very, very scary and very sad for the marine wildlife.

This disaster is very much still in the news here and we are sickened by it.

We are also livid with the talking heads involved who have made the whole thing political and haven't been willing to work together to get it cleaned up.

We've had technology volunteered by 13 different countries that had the potential to skim nearly all the oil off the waters but BP is too proud and the politicians are too "political" to allow this because they have to manipulate this whole thing to their advantage. Never mind the deaths of the animals, the destruction of ecosystems, the health of those that come in contact with this, etc. None of that counts, powerful people do not care about anything but self. It's disgusting. There have been some great ideas both by independent American scientists as well as brilliant suggestions from other nations' best and brightest, but no.......the bobble heads we call "leaders" have to act like they are embroiled in a third grade playground argument. Sometimes, it would be nice if it was okay to reach out and slap jerks!

People in our area have talked about taking vacation and going down to help. But, between BP and the government stalling efforts to do anything meaningful, it doesn't seem like it will do any good and everyone is worried about potential health issues because BP doesn't want to admit that protective gear is a must and they don't want to provide it to people because that's not a picture they want on the nightly news.

I am to the place that I think ALL of our Federal politicians and every big company CEO should be rounded up, flown to Antartica, put in the bio-dome, and left to finish each other off while the Americans who care work together to solve the problem and then elect new leaders; that's if we can get some NORMAL people to accept the job!

That's my rant....not meant to be a this party-that party, discussion or anything like that. Just my personal view that the leadership of America, regardless of their affiliation, seem to be, by in large, immature and hot-headed while we regular people have to suffer the consequences of their ridiculous egos.

Faith, off to muck out horse stalls, give penicillan to a sick sheep, chase a rooster I hate and wish the farmer would roast with prejudice, and organize a whole bunch of kids for riding lessons!

People in our area have talked about taking vacation and going down to help. But, between BP and the government stalling efforts to do anything meaningful, it doesn't seem like it will do any good and everyone is worried about potential health issues because BP doesn't want to admit that protective gear is a must and they don't want to provide it to people because that's not a picture they want on the nightly news.

:iagree: I have a degree in biological sciences and I would love to volunteer. I'm sure there are lots of other people like me out there too. Unfortunately, I'm also realistic. They're not gonna let anybody NEAR that mess.

:iagree: I have a degree in biological sciences and I would love to volunteer. I'm sure there are lots of other people like me out there too. Unfortunately, I'm also realistic. They're not gonna let anybody NEAR that mess.

They are hiring unemployed people to clean up the beaches (in Florida at least.)

Yesterday seemed like a turning point for many of the folks around here. You know that we are generally an optimistic and laid back bunch. So for day after day spirits have remained high as we get our nightly update from the weather man about where there may be impact each day. BUT YESTERDAY was a turning point--it was like a despair set in. I think it was a combination of the video of a man frantically trying to get a baby dolphin out of the pounding surf, a suicide of a local business man, and the realization that this is bigger than any of us could have ever imagined.

I had to drive toward the coast today. This time of year that drive is usually so invigorating. But, yesterday, there were no carloads full of families with suitcases and bicycles strapped to their vehicle on their way to the beach for a week. Yesterday, there was no scent of salty air as we approached the coast. Yesterday, there was no joy on the faces of those we passed. Instead I saw fear, defeat, and despair.