Menu

Check out my son's element collection...

We studied chemistry this past year, and my son was inspired (by dh) to start collecting the elements. This really made the periodic table "come to life" for him. He made the board himself, using a circular drill bit for the holes. So far, he has around 50 elements! - Uranium came in the mail today; he was soooo excited!

post-9416-13535083636117_thumb.jpg

post-9416-1353508363628_thumb.jpg

post-9416-13535083636117_thumb.jpg

post-9416-1353508363628_thumb.jpg

That's very cool. Were there some elements you found you couldn't obtain? I'm thinking of things like mercury, which my husband was able to play with as a kid but is now pretty much banned.

Some of the elements are expensive, but not too difficult to get. A lot of elements he found on Ebay. We have mercury, but my son won't get it until we can get it sealed in acrylic. The radioactive elements are the ones you probably won't be able to find.

That is brilliant! He might also like looking at Theo Gray's periodic table that is done the same way, at www.theodoregray.com

We LOVE his book The Elements!! It was his main source for where to find the different elements. If you look closely at the first pic I posted, you can see he's using it to figure out where to put the elements he got in the mail yesterday. :001_smile: I'm glad you guys like the idea. I can't take credit for it- my dh is the science geek in the house (even though he's an art teacher)!

• 2 years later...

Some of the elements are expensive, but not too difficult to get. A lot of elements he found on Ebay. We have mercury, but my son won't get it until we can get it sealed in acrylic. The radioactive elements are the ones you probably won't be able to find.

Thanks to reading The Radioactive Boyscout I know that you can find some radioactive elements:

http://flatrock.org.nz/topics/environment/common_radioactive_items.htm