Menu

How do YOU "organize" your science sequence?

Sahamamama

My husband and I have been discussing our science educations (or lack thereof), and thinking about how our science courses in high school and college were organized around the traditional scheme:

• Life Sciences (General Biology, Botany, Zoology, Anatomy, Physiology, etc.)
  • Earth Sciences (Geology, Astronomy, Ecology, etc.)
  • Chemistry
  • Physics

We have long felt that the usual implementation of this organization lacks something... :confused: For one thing, it usually means that a student only encounters, for example, "Chemistry" for one loooooooong year in high school. The isolation of chemistry means that it may not be integrated with knowledge gained in the other "sciences." If you do understand Chemistry, the year-long focus on it may be wonderful, but if not, it can be a very long year! :tongue_smilie:The student who does NOT understand chemistry will NEVER take another course, EVEN THOUGH the lack of understanding may be due to the lack of exposure to chemistry. The Catch-22 is: no chemistry = lack of understanding = no more chemistry. Even for the student who understands Chemistry, perhaps this isolated study of one aspect of science is not the best. ???

We were also talking about how we had little to no science content in our elementary school years. Add to that the fact that there weren't any nature walks, nature read alouds, gardens, animals, or anything related to science in our grammar years, and you have an impoverished science education.

So, how do you organize your science sequence? We're trying to imagine what it would look like to ssimultaneouslytudy several "threads" of science, slowly, over the course of groups of years.

For example, in grades K-2, simultaneously work through a simple overview of three "threads" -- Life Sciences (zoology, botany, human anatomy), Physical Sciences (physics, chemistry & technology), and Earth Sciences (geology, ecology & astronomy).

In grades 3-5, simultaneously work through at least one course in each field of science--Life Science, Physical Science, and Earth Science.

In grades 6-8, simultaneously work through at least three more advanced courses in each of the threads.

Sort of like this, only work (spiral?) through all THREE three courses over all THREE years in the suggested age-range.

Does anyone do this, or something similar? Have you heard of this approach? What do you think? Would it work? :bigear:

Edited by Sahamamama

Yes, Dr. Nebel has written a science curriculum which does what I think you have outlined. It's called Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding. The current volume is grades K-2. The 2nd vol, which covers grades 3-5 is about to go to press, and hopefully the 3rd vol, covering 6-8 won't be too far behind. If you want to search this board, also use BFSU.

I'm not sure if I am following your thoughts very well. A few questions for you:

1. How often would you switch topics? Would you study animals for a few weeks and then switch to meterology for example? Or would you switch topics more frequently?

2. How would you decide the order of topics?

Although the branches of science are certainly intermingled, I think that this system just befuddles me. I remember hating elementary and middle school science because they liked to give overviews of the life sciences and the physical sciences. It wasn't until I reached high school and college that I found my passion for science and I think it was because things were clearly delineated. Maybe it just has to do with the learning style of the student.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll take a look.

I'd still like to know what OTHER people do for their science line-up from year to year. Do you follow the WTM guidelines? Do you skip formal science and do nature study? Do you have your own plan that you put together?

What is YOUR science sequence, as far as you've gone (or plan to go)?

:bigear:

I'm not sure if I am following your thoughts very well. A few questions for you:

1. How often would you switch topics? Would you study animals for a few weeks and then switch to meterology for example? Or would you switch topics more frequently?

2. How would you decide the order of topics?

Although the branches of science are certainly intermingled, I think that this system just befuddles me. I remember hating elementary and middle school science because they liked to give overviews of the life sciences and the physical sciences. It wasn't until I reached high school and college that I found my passion for science and I think it was because things were clearly delineated. Maybe it just has to do with the learning style of the student.

That's a great question, and one of the reasons why I posted. I've heard about a system that works in some countries -- the students study ALL the branches of the sciences simultaneously, just stretched out over all the years of school. But I have no idea HOW they make it work!

I don't know, really. Would it work (at least in elementary), instead of studying a different branch of science every year, to focus on each branch for 9-10 weeks each year? So, rather than doing Life Science in 1st, Earth/Space in 2nd, Chemistry in 3rd, and Physics in 4th, you would spiral through each of these branches EACH year. The level of content would increase with each year. In first grade, students could be introduced to each branch. In 2nd and 3rd grades, they would build on the previous year's concepts, increase their understanding of scientific method, and develop more vocabulary. In 4th, they would dig even deeper into the principles of each branch of science, do more in-depth experiments and observations, etc. But their knowledge of each branch would grow incrementally, over the grades -- rather than, "We're studying Chemistry all year this year (3rd grade), and Physics all year next year (4th grade)."

Does that make sense?

We did Real science 4 Kids Chemistry with ds9 and ds7 this year as a primary science curriculum, but I am so pleased with how it turned out in the end because we covered SO many facets of science. The fact that Real Sci4 kids is a pretty thin book with 10 chapters made this feasible.

We started the year with a 2 week plant biology study I put together using a library book, before our garden died. We did meteorology for a couple of weeks. Mostly we graphed data, but we did read a few books. I taught an engineering class at coop that really looked at the simple machines in depth. We read about Archimedes as part of our ancient history. DS9 did a chemistry experiment for our project fair. We did quite a few nature oriented field trips.

The chemistry we did a few weeks at a time, then took a break for history, and so on because I found I couldn't fit both subjects into 1 day. We had to review alot but that probably helped improve long term retention anyhow. Brownie

I don't know, really. Would it work (at least in elementary), instead of studying a different branch of science every year, to focus on each branch for 9-10 weeks each year? So, rather than doing Life Science in 1st, Earth/Space in 2nd, Chemistry in 3rd, and Physics in 4th, you would spiral through each of these branches EACH year. The level of content would increase with each year. In first grade, students could be introduced to each branch. In 2nd and 3rd grades, they would build on the previous year's concepts, increase their understanding of scientific method, and develop more vocabulary. In 4th, they would dig even deeper into the principles of each branch of science, do more in-depth experiments and observations, etc. But their knowledge of each branch would grow incrementally, over the grades -- rather than, "We're studying Chemistry all year this year (3rd grade), and Physics all year next year (4th grade)."

Does that make sense?

That's the way that most public school textbooks are written, from what I understand. The WTM/classical idea of doing only one topic per year is the one that is considered unusual by most of the folks I know.

I could see studying soil composition, then properties of air and sunlight, and then doing a plant study. Something along that line would make sense to me. I don't know how difficult it would be to integrate all of the topics in this manner though.

This past year for first grade little ds started out using WP WAM. I wanted to do many topics/ a broad general science for first grade, but WAM was a little light so we sort of used the topic list and went off on our own.

For the next several years, the game plan is to spend one trimester on an Earth science topic, one trimester on a life science topic, and one trimester on a physical science topic. Currently, it looks like this-

2010-2011 (2nd)

Astronomy. Human Anatomy, Inventions

2011-2012 (3rd)

Oceans, Plants, Energy Forces Motion

2012-2013 (4th)

Landforms and Surface Features, Zoology, Light Sound Electricity

2013-2014 (5th)

Atmosphere and Weather, Microscopic Life, Basic Chemistry

However, all of this is subject to change at any moment. I really am the most uncertain about the physical science topics. But, it is certainly something to think about.

HTH-

Mandy

Would it work (at least in elementary), instead of studying a different branch of science every year, to focus on each branch for 9-10 weeks each year? So, rather than doing Life Science in 1st, Earth/Space in 2nd, Chemistry in 3rd, and Physics in 4th, you would spiral through each of these branches EACH year. The level of content would increase with each year. In first grade, students could be introduced to each branch. In 2nd and 3rd grades, they would build on the previous year's concepts, increase their understanding of scientific method, and develop more vocabulary. In 4th, they would dig even deeper into the principles of each branch of science, do more in-depth experiments and observations, etc. But their knowledge of each branch would grow incrementally, over the grades -- rather than, "We're studying Chemistry all year this year (3rd grade), and Physics all year next year (4th grade)."

Singapore's My Pals Are Here science curriculum does this. It groups together lessons from different "subjects" around a theme, such as Energy or Systems. It covers 3rd through 6th grade.

Jackie

This past year for first grade little ds started out using WP WAM. I wanted to do many topics/ a broad general science for first grade, but WAM was a little light so we sort of used the topic list and went off on our own.

For the next several years, the game plan is to spend one trimester on an Earth science topic, one trimester on a life science topic, and one trimester on a physical science topic. Currently, it looks like this-

2010-2011 (2nd)

Astronomy. Human Anatomy, Inventions

2011-2012 (3rd)

Oceans, Plants, Energy Forces Motion

2012-2013 (4th)

Landforms and Surface Features, Zoology, Light Sound Electricity

2013-2014 (5th)

Atmosphere and Weather, Microscopic Life, Basic Chemistry

However, all of this is subject to change at any moment. I really am the most uncertain about the physical science topics. But, it is certainly something to think about.

HTH-

Mandy

:hurray: Something like this might work. Thanks for posting. I was beginning to wonder if I was abnormal... LOL. It's nice to know that someone else out there is on the same wavelength. No pun intended. :D

I strongly, strongly urge you to get your hands on Dr. Nebel's book(s). Seriously! You're going to be ecstatic! :D

Personally, I want to have my cake and eat it, too. Sooooo, we used BFSU for K this past year, and now we're going to do a rotation through the science fields a la WTM (using Elemental Science programs, which I also adore). I have Nebel for supplementation and to keep *me* grounded. When we hit middle school, I'll reevaluate, but I suspect I'll do a more integrated approach again at that point. At the moment, I'm drawn to My Pals Are Here in conjunction with Dr. Nebel's next book or two.

How did it look? Well, BFSU has 4 threads to be pursued simultaneously: the Nature of Matter, Life Science, Physical Science, and Earth & Space Science. So we began with organization and categorizing. Then we discussed solids, liquids, and gases and moved on to distinguishing living and nonliving things. Then we moved onto energy and how things move, which led to a discussion on gravity. Following gravity, we learned about the nature of air, and then we started on the particulate nature of matter. And so on. It really flowed better in real life than it sounds typed out here. I promise!

There isn't a set, prescribed order for BFSU, though he does give prerequisites for certain topics. For example, you're not ready to learn the lesson "Rocks, Minerals, Crystals, Dirt, and Soil" until you've covered matter's particulate nature; distinguishing materials; and dissolving, solutions, and crystallization from the Matter thread and distinguishing living/nonliving from the Life Sciences thread. Each lesson also has follow up suggestions.

Basically, we're a very science-oriented family as it is, and so we set a groundwork in the preschool years and in kindergarten for thinking scientifically and observing nature. We've dabbled. :tongue_smilie: What I want to do for these still-early years now is specialize just a bit and be certain that we don't overdo it on my own area of interest (life sciences). So by doing a WTM thing with Elemental Science, I know we'll get a nice, thorough introduction to each area. By having Dr. Nebel's books on hand, I can naturally take time to spin off into the other disciplines as questions and interests come up. Then, by middle school, it will be time to go back to truly interconnecting the sciences. At least, that's what I think right now. :lol:

Great discussion! Thank you!

Edited by ~Kirsten~
clarification

When my older son began his high school level science work, I was surprised to find that chemistry now permeates every other area of science. Both his biology and geology courses were full of chemistry.

I have tended to follow the WTM recs of bio, earth and space, chem, physics for elementary, simply because I think it makes a lot of sense. During elementary, I really didn't address chem or physics that seriously, tending toward more bio work, instead...... I'm going to address those more thoroughly for seventh and eighth grades.

I think you could certainly approach science in the way you've suggested, however.

I never did long range planning for science until high school. It wasn't quite unschooling science, yet it wasn't structured as I followed the interests of my kids with good books and videos, nature study, too, and I provided many kits, tools and opportunities for hands on science. My kids loved science -- it wasn't hard to do.

It wasn't a detriment either when they got to formal science in high school. Their basic knowledge was so broad already, their eagerness to learn was intact that they've done well. My youngest is planning on majoring in science in college -- he just can't decide which field he likes best.

I remember when Nebel's science came out and how it created the same kind of buzz on these boards as MCT does these days! I never bought it as my kids were already older, but I recall thinking it looked terrific, that it could be a resource filled with ideas for studying a topic.

Not that I've done it yet, but I decided to go with Nebel's book because I want the scientific method to be emphasised. Science doesn't come in neat packages, it is a big jumble and I think the whole point of a science education should be explore those threads as the child untangles them and organises them into tidy bunches. I think if they do this from K-8, they will be familiar with the interconnectedness of the different topics and be ready to study their tidy bunches in high school.

But my kid is 3, and I don't have much of a science education so this is a theory I've created out of goodness knows where ;)

Rosie

Does anyone do this, or something similar? Have you heard of this approach? What do you think? Would it work? :bigear:

I can't believe I still didn't message you that sequence... :blush: I'm really sorry, somehow I just got lost (I actually owe a whole lot of materials and plans to a whole lot of people, from these boards as well, and I'm months late with finally sending all of that :blush:). I apologize.

(note to self: *facepalm*)

My general/ideal scheme (which I adopted a bit to each child, of course) would be:

3rd/4th: The concept of "nature"; basic characteristics of Sun, water and sea, air (+ its basic chemistry, gases it consists of); types of soils (+ where they are in the world and how it's connected to agriculture and economy - basic); life cycle of a plant (+ its basic chemistry, photosynthesis); the concept of physical health/illness and leading a healthy lifestyle

4th/5th: Basic cytology; types of microscopes, using one, the principles it works on; vertebrates vs. non-vertebrates, the groups of vertebrates; basic physiology of animals (general) and a more detailed one of plants; sex ed / health; cycle of life (who eats whom :D) and food in the world context, the problem of famine

5th/6th: Ecosystems (the main focus of the year); energy and movement (Sun, water, etc. + various other sources of energy); nutrition unit (food pyramids; the problem of fructose; how they poison us, etc.)

Geography: Physical geography of the world (geomorphology, climates, environmental - basic)

6th/7th: synchrony

Biology: chemical and biological evolution, fossils, geological eras; taxonomy and kingdoms; autotrophs vs. heterotrophs; parasites; viruses and bacteria; Cytology again, but on a more complex level + mitosis, meiosis (NOT on a full detailed level yet); animals and plants in order of evolution, the main mechanisms of evolution (selection, isolation, mutations, Darwin)

Chemistry: Chemistry vs. Physics (and chemical vs. physical changes), types of substances, compounds; states of matter; Periodic table (+ trends) - atoms and elements (atomic/proton number, valences of the elements, ionic structures, basic reactions); models of the atom; chemical and physical proprieties of water and air (gases)

Physics: measurements and systems; proprieties of bodies (inertion, density, etc.); force (vector quantities); Earth's gravity; elastic force; friction; pressure; work; energy; gravity; electric energy; strength; heat (cycling and measurement); hydrostatic vs. hydraulic pressure

7th/8h:

Biology: DNA/RNA structure, chromosomes, mutations; physiology of human organism (the focus of the year, system by system); substance dependence prevention (+ basic chemistry of drugs); the origins of man (evolution II)

Chemistry: metals and alloys; salts; carbon -> most of the year revolves around basic organic chemistry; alcohols; monosaccharides and polysacchardies (carbohydrates in general); carboxyl groups; esters; aminoacids and proteins; enzymes; soaps and detergents and their basic chemistry (or how not to ruin the house and yourself when you clean it :D); the concept of polymers; basically the year of organic chemistry, but NOT hardcore (a bit simplified)

Physics: Four main units: electricity (+ EM induction, Ohm, etc.), speed and acceleration, waves (+ sound, light, types of lenses, etc.) and wave-particle nature of the world (it should be veeery light at this point, no higher math)

I wrote 3-7 (4-8) in quite a details, but the very basic high school scheme, which would go on in synchrony as opposed to studying separate disciplines per year, would be:

8th/9th

Biology: Cytology (detailed)

Geography: Physical geography + geology

Chemistry: General

Physics: Dynamics, Mechanics of fluids, complex movements + 6th/7th grade topics in detailed, objections to Newton -> basic Einstein concept of gravity

9th/10th

Biology: Evolution of species (animals and plants; physiology in order of evolution)

Chemistry: all that which is in-between general and specifically anorganic chemistry (acids and bases in depth)

Physics: Electromagnetism, waves and optics II

10th/11th

Biology: Human physiology and anatomy with basic pathology

Chemistry: Anorganic chemistry

Physics: Modern physics (Einstein General and Specific; models of atom and nuclear physics)

11th/12th

Biology: Genetics and Evolution

Chemistry: Organic in-depth (tied with Biology)

Physics: Quantum and contemporary physics; nuclear physics and weapons

Ideally, the last year would be free to study a specific field of interest, since this way you have covered even more than high school Biology, Chemistry and Physics, only not one-per-year, but in synchrony, which is in my opinion a better way to do it; then the last year would be free to do something like Biochemistry, Astronomy, etc.

So, how do you organize your science sequence? We're trying to imagine what it would look like to ssimultaneouslytudy several "threads" of science, slowly, over the course of groups of years.

It's not the WTM way, but it has worked really well for us.

MPH (3rd-6th grades) is organized by broad topics... so for instance "Cycles" covers both life cycles and states of matter. Some topics are more life-science-oriented and some are more physical-science-oriented, but you do two or three of these in a year, so it's not just one focus.

Then for 7th-8th we did Interactive (now Interactive Science for Inquiring Minds - again, we did it before the new edition came out), which has multiple topics each year, much like US middle school text books...

Singapore's high school science books are divided into Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and actually they're meant to be used simultaneously over two years. I think they would be counted as three separate classes, if we were doing it that way... but while DS would really adore that, I think I would have trouble juggling it all. We do a lot of science as it is - three at once would be quite a bit to teach... so I let him choose one to focus on for the year. Last year was Biology, which went well, and this year we're expanding the Ecology section to a broader study of Marine Biology (no textbook) because we have a convenient ocean nearby and really ought to take advantage of it.

I should say though... even when we're focusing on one thing we're supplementing with other things. I taught a Chemistry camp last year that DS assisted with, he took a co-op Physics class (Bite Size Physics), and we have a telescope for random astronomical observations. And his science fair project was earth/ environmental and engineering all rolled up together. I do really like that broad approach - and I like dabbling without committing to everything. If I tried to schedule it all I think it wouldn't get done, but if we have a lot of stuff on hand and take advantage of opportunities when they arise, we get to a lot. But I really do think the broader approach in the elementary and middle school grades is what allows us to focus now. I don't have to worry about the chemistry involved in biology, because he's seen a lot of it before. And I don't have to worry about the physics involved in everything, because he's had a really good introduction to physics. I think it would be much harder to try to keep them separate!

I can't believe I still didn't message you that sequence... :blush: I'm really sorry, somehow I just got lost (I actually owe a whole lot of materials and plans to a whole lot of people, from these boards as well, and I'm months late with finally sending all of that :blush:). I apologize.

(note to self: *facepalm*)

My general/ideal scheme (which I adopted a bit to each child, of course) would be:

3rd/4th: The concept of "nature"; basic characteristics of Sun, water and sea, air (+ its basic chemistry, gases it consists of); types of soils (+ where they are in the world and how it's connected to agriculture and economy - basic); life cycle of a plant (+ its basic chemistry, photosynthesis); the concept of physical health/illness and leading a healthy lifestyle

4th/5th: Basic cytology; types of microscopes, using one, the principles it works on; vertebrates vs. non-vertebrates, the groups of vertebrates; basic physiology of animals (general) and a more detailed one of plants; sex ed / health; cycle of life (who eats whom :D) and food in the world context, the problem of famine

5th/6th: Ecosystems (the main focus of the year); energy and movement (Sun, water, etc. + various other sources of energy); nutrition unit (food pyramids; the problem of fructose; how they poison us, etc.)

Geography: Physical geography of the world (geomorphology, climates, environmental - basic)

6th/7th: synchrony

Biology: chemical and biological evolution, fossils, geological eras; taxonomy and kingdoms; autotrophs vs. heterotrophs; parasites; viruses and bacteria; Cytology again, but on a more complex level + mitosis, meiosis (NOT on a full detailed level yet); animals and plants in order of evolution, the main mechanisms of evolution (selection, isolation, mutations, Darwin)

Chemistry: Chemistry vs. Physics (and chemical vs. physical changes), types of substances, compounds; states of matter; Periodic table (+ trends) - atoms and elements (atomic/proton number, valences of the elements, ionic structures, basic reactions); models of the atom; chemical and physical proprieties of water and air (gases)

Physics: measurements and systems; proprieties of bodies (inertion, density, etc.); force (vector quantities); Earth's gravity; elastic force; friction; pressure; work; energy; gravity; electric energy; strength; heat (cycling and measurement); hydrostatic vs. hydraulic pressure

7th/8h:

Biology: DNA/RNA structure, chromosomes, mutations; physiology of human organism (the focus of the year, system by system); substance dependence prevention (+ basic chemistry of drugs); the origins of man (evolution II)

Chemistry: metals and alloys; salts; carbon -> most of the year revolves around basic organic chemistry; alcohols; monosaccharides and polysacchardies (carbohydrates in general); carboxyl groups; esters; aminoacids and proteins; enzymes; soaps and detergents and their basic chemistry (or how not to ruin the house and yourself when you clean it :D); the concept of polymers; basically the year of organic chemistry, but NOT hardcore (a bit simplified)

Physics: Four main units: electricity (+ EM induction, Ohm, etc.), speed and acceleration, waves (+ sound, light, types of lenses, etc.) and wave-particle nature of the world (it should be veeery light at this point, no higher math)

I wrote 3-7 (4-8) in quite a details, but the very basic high school scheme, which would go on in synchrony as opposed to studying separate disciplines per year, would be:

8th/9th

Biology: Cytology (detailed)

Geography: Physical geography + geology

Chemistry: General

Physics: Dynamics, Mechanics of fluids, complex movements + 6th/7th grade topics in detailed, objections to Newton -> basic Einstein concept of gravity

9th/10th

Biology: Evolution of species (animals and plants; physiology in order of evolution)

Chemistry: all that which is in-between general and specifically anorganic chemistry (acids and bases in depth)

Physics: Electromagnetism, waves and optics II

10th/11th

Biology: Human physiology and anatomy with basic pathology

Chemistry: Anorganic chemistry

Physics: Modern physics (Einstein General and Specific; models of atom and nuclear physics)

11th/12th

Biology: Genetics and Evolution

Chemistry: Organic in-depth (tied with Biology)

Physics: Quantum and contemporary physics; nuclear physics and weapons

Ideally, the last year would be free to study a specific field of interest, since this way you have covered even more than high school Biology, Chemistry and Physics, only not one-per-year, but in synchrony, which is in my opinion a better way to do it; then the last year would be free to do something like Biochemistry, Astronomy, etc.

:001_huh: Wow. That would take me half a week to type, let alone think about. Molto grazie!

• 3 months later...

Our planned science sequence looks like this (we're in 2nd now:

K- BFSU

1st - Nature and Topical Study (Birds, Human Body, Trees, and Weather and Climate) and BFSU

2nd - Nature and Topical Study (Wildflowers, Insects, Rocks and Minerals, Electricity) and BFSU

3rd- Nature and Topical Study (Soil, Garden Plants, Mammals, Microscopes) and BFSU

4th- Nature and Topical Study (Reptiles, Weeds, Amphibians, Elemental Science Chemistry) and BFSU

5th- Nature and Topical Study (Fish, Crop Plants, Rivers and Oceans, Elemental Science Physics) and BFSU

6th- Nature and Topical Study (Invertebrates, Flowerless Plants and Botany, The Human Body, Astronomy) and BFSU

7th- Singapore Interactive Science, BFSU, Science Matters, Story of Science, Exploring the Way Life Works, The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments, The Mystery of the Periodic Table (if necessary, supplement with Jason Project, but doubt it as we look pretty full ;))

8th- Singapore Interactive Science, BFSU, Science Matters, Story of Science, Mad About Physics

For 7th and 8th we may use NG's Elements of Science kit with 100 experiments if ds is craving more experiments (50 for each year).

High School plan (this all may be changed, of course!)

9th- Spectrum Chemistry and Zumdahl's Basic Chemistry

10th- Biology with Campbell's Concepts and Connections

11th- Giancoli's Physics: Principles and Applications

12th - Higher level science or science branch of interest (depending on career aspirations)

Edited by sagira

In The Netherlands chemistry, biology and physics are studied simultaneously. Starting in 6th grade for biology and 6th or 7th grade for chemistry and physics, you have a certain number of hours per science. I'm not very good at remembering the exact number of hours, I think 2 hours a week per science. It also depends on what track the student is, lower, middle or highest (university bound) track. By studying simultaneously, it is indeed easier to make connections, but also, you can start with the topics that are easier and save the topics that require more advanced math for the later years.

I have no idea yet how I'm going to do science with my dds, it depends on several factors (are they going to take state exams?), so I always feel a bit weird commenting on these threads.

Just wanted to say that the idea of studying biology or physics or chemstry for one year only is as mindboggling to me as studying them simultaneously is for you :lol:.

I've done a lot of bouncing back and forth on science but so far our tentative plan for now is:

Kindergarten

Nancy Larson Science K - Main

Mommy made beginning evolution/prehistory study

First grade

Nancy Larson Science 1 - Main - focuses on biology

R.E.A.L Science Odyssey 1 Biology - on opposite days and labs on weekends

Second Grade

Nancy Larson Science 2 - Main - focuses on physical science

R.E.A.L Science Odyssey (if available yet physics) - on opposite days and labs on weekends

Third Grade

Mommy Made intro to earth and space starting at the big bang Starting summer and going into beginning of year

Nancy Larson Science 3 - Main - focuses on Earth and Space

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey 1 - Earth and space mainly weekends

Fourth Grade

Nancy Larson Science 4- Main - Hopefully this will be out by the time we need it!

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey - Chemistry mainly opposite days and weekends

We'll also be supplementing with Delta education science kits as the kiddos request it :) We are a science loving family so we go pretty in depth here. :tongue_smilie: I haven't planned past this point yet as the two main curricula are not out past these levels yet. So we kind of do a cycle but our main program does have elements of other parts of science in it too but definitely has a heavy lean towards one main topic. I think this will make it more interesting. I plan on sitting down and re-ordering my RSO to line up as best as possible with my Nancy Larson so it flows together more seamlessly.

We came late to homeschooling and will adhere to the 1year=1 science for highschool for practical considerations (DD is taking a time consuming college class, so there is no way we could teach other sciences simultaneously)

I'd like, however, to tell you how it is done in public schools in my home country. Students begin with biology in 5th grade, add physics in 6th grade and chemistry in 7th . All sciences are taught in parallel, each for 2-3 hours a week - not in chunks of "a few weeks of bio, a few weeks of chem". This has the advantage that students work simultaneously on all sciences over several years, allows for interdisciplinary topics, enhances learning of the individual concepts and keeps material fresher in the student's memory than the 1year=1science approach.

For K we did a little (very little) of BFSU and lots and lots of interest-led stuff. DD is extremely interested in earth and space science and life sciences, so she's pretty advanced in those areas all on her own. This year we're doing BFSU every week and I have RSO Life, so I'll start using that soon. We'll do both. I'm not sure about next year. We won't have completed BFSU that soon. There are 40 or 40-something lessons in it, and I really don't feel compelled to rush through it, so we'll still have a little left to go when she officially starts grade 2 in July.

In The Netherlands chemistry, biology and physics are studied simultaneously. Starting in 6th grade for biology and 6th or 7th grade for chemistry and physics, you have a certain number of hours per science. I'm not very good at remembering the exact number of hours, I think 2 hours a week per science. It also depends on what track the student is, lower, middle or highest (university bound) track. By studying simultaneously, it is indeed easier to make connections, but also, you can start with the topics that are easier and save the topics that require more advanced math for the later years.

I'd like, however, to tell you how it is done in public schools in my home country. Students begin with biology in 5th grade, add physics in 6th grade and chemistry in 7th . All sciences are taught in parallel, each for 2-3 hours a week - not in chunks of "a few weeks of bio, a few weeks of chem". This has the advantage that students work simultaneously on all sciences over several years, allows for interdisciplinary topics, enhances learning of the individual concepts and keeps material fresher in the student's memory than the 1year=1science approach.

This is how we would like to sequence our science, too. I wonder what homeschooling resources/materials we could use to accomplish this?

Because our girls are young, we have years to get to this point. Perhaps something will be available for simultaneous science by that time. If not, it might be possible to get THREE science courses (the middle grade student) -- one in Biology, one in Chemistry, one in Physics -- and then take 3-4 years to work through them, then get FOUR science courses (including Earth/Space) for the high school student, and take four years to work through them.

5th Grade -- General Science (review basic principles); Biology (begin middle level course); Nature Study; Science Project and/or Scientist Biographies

6th Grade -- Biology (continue); Chemistry (begin middle level course); Nature Study; Science Project and/or Scientist Biographies

7th Grade -- Biology (continue); Chemistry (continue); Physics (begin middle level course); Nature Study and/or Science Project

8th Grade -- Biology (complete middle level course); Chemistry (complete middle level course); Physics (continue); Science Project

9th Grade -- Biology (begin high-school course); Chemistry (begin high school course); Physics (complete middle level course); Science Project

10th Grade -- Biology (continue HS course); Chemistry (continue HS course); Physics (begin high-school course); Science Project

11th Grade -- Biology (complete HS course); Chemistry (continue HS course); Physics (continue HS course); Earth/Space (begin course); Science Project

12th Grade -- Chemistry (complete); Physics (complete); Earth/Space (complete); Senior Science Project

Edited by Sahamamama

I wrestled with this issue of science this summer, and while I have a plan now for this year, I still wrestle with whether this is how I want to do it this year. I found out so many things AFTER we started the school year that I wish I had known BEFORE. Like how much beefier the science has become in our core curriculum (Trail Guide to Learning: Paths of Settlement - TGTL) compared to last year, when it was too little for my boys' ages. Like forgetting that TGTL was doing earth science this year and physical science next year, and that it would have made much more sense to expand on what was there already than inventing my own course. Like noticing that middle school textbooks combine physics and chemistry into the same year and call it physical science because at this level, they don't need to go so deep as to spend an entire year on just one of the 2. And now that we ar e9 weeks into the school year, and some of my choices were too much for the boys, I wondered if I should scrap it all and follow the TGTL science after all! But when I talked to the boys, they wanted to continue with the physics and weren't so excited by earth science. So maybe breaking earth science up like my original plan, doing astronomy this year with physics, and geology next year with chemistry, will help them get some of earth science without spending a year on something they don't enjoy so much.

I have the BFSU book, but my boys are so much older than its targeted audience AND I work full time during the day, so it would be very hard for me to figure out how to use BFSU. I need stuff that they boys can do 95% independently. From what I could tell with public school textbooks, all of elementary school science is integrated - they do a little from each of the branches every year. But middle school typically divides it up into Life Science, Earth Science, and Physical Science, usually reserving Physical Science for 8th grade, with the first 2 being somewhat interchangeable for 6th and 7th grades.

This summer, I read some articles about how science builds on itself in real life and how the normal US sequence in high school is actually backwards. The high school sequence is dictated by the math required, not by the development of the science itself.

I recall having a difficult time in AP Physics class as a high school senior and then physics in college relating the real-life parts of physics to the math problems in the textbook. I was very good at math. I could do the calculus easily. But trying to figure out how to go from the problem/scenario/physics side and convert that into the math problem boggled my mind. I believe it was because I didn't understand the actual physics itself enough - I couldn't picture what was happening in real life and the focus of my 2 physics classes were on solving problems with math. But my dh had a WONDERFUL high school physics experience based on having fun with the real-world stuff, playing with ideas and scenarios, and almost no math involved and to this day, loves talking about mechanical advantage, Newton's laws of motion, etc.

So I thought that maybe if I spent the last 2 years of their junior high science getting them exposed, in a more fun, hands-on, interesting way, to physics and chemistry without all of the math, hopefully giving them more of dh's experience than my experience, then that may keep them from dreading/disliking high school science so much when it gets so "math-y". I figured that if they felt comfortable with many of the physics and chemistry concepts now, before high school science comes along, then even when they did approach the math parts of science, they would have no problems because they weren't wrestling with the concepts AND the math at the same time.

So far, my plan is:

• 7th grade: middle school physics and astronomy, focusing on concepts and hands-on experiences
  • 8th grade: middle school chemistry and geology, again, focusing on concepts and hands-on experiences (maybe a real good chemistry kit, if those exist)
  • 9th grade: I haven't totally decided on this. Originally it was to be biology. But I am thinking that we can start out maybe with the parts of earth science that we haven't done yet (since we would have covered astronomy and geology already) and then move into biology either 2nd semester in 9th continuing through 1st semester 10th, or wait until 10th grade.
  • 10th grade: Do last semester of biology (depending on 9th grade choice).

Starting in 10th grade, either 1st or 2nd semester, we can either follow the traditional order of high school chemistry and physics, or let them pick what areas of science they are most interested in and focus on more specialized science tailored to the individual. There are so many to choose from - zoology, botany, ecology, marine biology, anatomy/physiology, cosmology (ie, Stephen Hawking, et al), biochemistry, and on and on. I would support them choosing an area in which to focus and we would create a course together to cover that, deciding if it should be only 1 semester or 2.

So far, those are my plans. Of course, they will inevitably change, I am sure!

Edited by DesertRambler

This summer, I read some articles about how science builds on itself in real life and how the normal US sequence in high school is actually backwards. The high school sequence is dictated by the math required, not by the development of the science itself.

Any chance you have a link? A way to track this down?

:D

I have no idea yet how I'm going to do science with my dds, it depends on several factors (are they going to take state exams?), so I always feel a bit weird commenting on these threads.

Just wanted to say that the idea of studying biology or physics or chemstry for one year only is as mindboggling to me as studying them simultaneously is for you :lol:.

This reminds me.. Yes, this is how I got the sciences in middle and high school too! I think I'm going to do all three (Biology, Chemistry, and Physics) in hs as well. I'm already combining in 7th and 8th. The way it's presented in Singapore Interactive Science is Chem and Bio together in the first, I believe.

Dank u, Tress! Ik geloof het niet dat ik dat ben vergeten :)

Like a previos poster, we used RS4K and liked how its format let us do several different sciences a year and build on things. I started with Chemistry, then did Physics. (Pre-Level I.) I was amazed at how much the knowledge of atoms added to our study of weather and other science areas that came up. We did our own Biology.

I have loaned it out to a friend and am just doing some things from library books, but will go through it again when we get it back and try out Level I with my daughter later this year or next year.

Any chance you have a link? A way to track this down?

:D

I don't know if these are the same links I read at the beginning of the summer, but they discuss the same idea:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2966982/reasons_to_teach_physics_before_biology.html?cat=4

http://www.jyi.org/volumes/volume6/issue7/features/pattanayak.html

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2008/10/should_we_teach.html

There are many more. Just do an Internet search for "teach physics first" and you fill find a wealth of information. There is even a Yahoo Group for it!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/physicsfirst/

HTH!

See, I feel just the opposite!

To begin with I think most elementary and many middle school science programs are set up to skip all around in topics. A little of this a little of that. How does studing anatomy then magnets then soil help you connect things unless you have spent lots of time figuring out how to do this.

But quite the opposite, when we have a whole year to spend on biology, it gives us a chance to look at things in more depth and add more. We can spend time adding chemistry to our phisiology and photosynthsis studies. We can spend time talking about climate in our ecosystems studies. We can talk about magnetic fields and astronomy when we talk about animal behavior.

But this is because we are really going to wallow in biology this year. We have enough time and get to get into enough depth it is unaviodable to see the connections.

Of course we didn't get into that much the first time around, but this time it is fun!

(Not trying to pick on anyone, just been thinking about this all day and thought I post it.)

I don't know if these are the same links I read at the beginning of the summer, but they discuss the same idea:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2966982/reasons_to_teach_physics_before_biology.html?cat=4

http://www.jyi.org/volumes/volume6/issue7/features/pattanayak.html

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2008/10/should_we_teach.html

There are many more. Just do an Internet search for "teach physics first" and you fill find a wealth of information. There is even a Yahoo Group for it!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/physicsfirst/

HTH!

Thanks for the links to the articles.

I don't have time to read the replies, but it sounds to me like you'd really like Nebel's books. (Nebel's Elementary Education & Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding)

Check them out for k-2 & 3-5. They do an amazingly elegant job of integrating the sciences. Beautiful stuff, IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...

There's so much to consider, and then you have to find the time to create it. Oh, and find the resources, and supplies for activities, and print the worksheets. Then, how do you "say", what do you "say", so you DC learn the science concepts, and tie it all together?

This really takes weeks, months, years. I don't have the time, and I don't want to push "stuff" at my DC that is really just busy work. I homeschool because I want more for them.

So I use Nancy Larson Science. It works so I don't need to, ah time for a shower or quiet reading time just for me. Seriously, Nancy Larson puts it all together, exactly what to say so DC get max learning, everything you need, and each unit or topic builds throughout the year. So my DC can make generalizations and critical thinking and create new connections. And I don't need to buy extra curr for that. My DC use NL Science 1 and I started teaching the NL Science 2 to our local group DCs. It's all so easy on me and they get so much from it!