Menu

Can we do a Manly Frugality thread?

Almost all the tips in the frugality threads fall into my domain: groceries, laundry, setting the termostat, cleaning products, et c. What about the guys, though?

The one thing I think I can contribute is lunch groceries. For a long time my husband would just eat out. He tried taking his lunch but it didn't really work out b/c making sure all my dishes came home was a bit too challenging somehow. So, they have a kitchen at work: fridge/freezer, microwave, toaster oven, coffee pot, fountain drinks. Instead of loosing/leaving behind my dishes, he took a couple of old things to leave permanently and now he buys his own groceries to leave at work. The only problem is that he gets a bit of cabin fever from time to time and wants out of his office. A couple of times/month he goes out with a group of friends, sometimes he goes walking after he eats, and once/week he and his boss play chess (they have an ongoing ladder tourney). He also likes to walk at Home Depot so he can get out of the ofc, walk, and fantasize about projects. Well, that last part isnt' too frugal if it leads to spending, I guess. :tongue_smilie:

So, what about the guys? Are there some guy-specific frugality tips?

Dh has cut back on his hobbies. He doesn't golf anymore and tries to do things with his friends that are free. He also doesn't insist on eating steak quite so often...he just LOVES steak.

I think he is getting better about planning his trips to that he isn't using as much fuel as he used to. He was never one to make a list of what he needed for running to the hardware, lumber company, etc. and then would make multiple trips. Those seem to have stopped. He also doesn't eat out with friends at work anymore. He works from home nearly all the time and when he does drive into the office, he either takes a lunch or has so many meetings planned, he doesn't take a lunch break - of course, this makes him ravenous when he gets home!

He did buy rechargeable batteries for the WII!

It would be hard for him to economize more because he doesn't do very much purchasing for the family. He doesn't even buy his own clothing. I do all of that shopping as well and I am an avid clearance sale shopper. Two weeks ago, when I realized that his belt really needed replacing, I found a beautiful black leather belt at Kohl's in their clearance for $2.00.

The main thing that would help us out in the budget department would be if he had the heart to charge a modest fee to our 4-H families for their science projects. Dh just dislikes asking for money and so we foot the bill for 13 kids. It can cost us up to $75.00 a month for their science projects. I'd just be happy if he would ask for $2.00 or $3.00 per child just to help offset that cost. But, he feels like the economy is just so bad here that it might discourage families from participating so he foots the bill himself!

Faith

Hubby fixes everything himself (plumbing, electrician, etc. but he is quick to recognize when something is beyond his abilities).

He buys a 2 liter of soda instead of a fountain drink (this takes him quite a bit of self-control).

He cuts his own hair.

He buys low-octane gas.

He does his own auto maintenance (changing oil, washing car, air filter).

He got rid of cable 8 years ago and has never looked back.

He buys his jeans at Costco.

He only carries cash rather than having a credit card burning a hole in his pocket.

He keeps his cell phone for longer than the 2 year contract.

He does all our yard maintenance (mows yard, yearly trims the trees, etc.).

He bought a scooter ($1,500, $200 a year for insurance, $2 a week for gas) for driving to work instead of a second car.

He researches for the best deal before buying anything (saves us money and avoids impulse buys).

Auto repair - he changes our oil, filters etc.

Furnace maintenance

Lots of DIY stuff. It's amazing how much information you can get on how to fix things on the internet. Paying for parts is so much cheaper than paying for a repairman.

So lemme ask: are you saying that he is pretty good at fixing things and can tap the internet for help if he needs it OR he doesn't know a think about fixing stuff but the internet is so good he has found that knowing nothing, he can still fix things with internet instructions? I can see my husband fixing some minor things but actually taking a thing apart and figuring it out i'm pretty sure would be beyone him. Although, we have a recurring problem with our dishwasher so he called the professional dishwasher fixer guy and watched him fix it and now can fix it on his own when it crops up.

Do you think a fellow who doesn't really know how could fix a major appliance with internet instructions . . . and live?

Do you think a fellow who doesn't really know how could fix a major appliance with internet instructions . . . and live?

My dh replaced the brakes on my car after using a manual to teach himself how. I thought at the time it was a plot to get rid of me, but I'm still here years later. :D

So lemme ask: are you saying that he is pretty good at fixing things and can tap the internet for help if he needs it OR he doesn't know a think about fixing stuff but the internet is so good he has found that knowing nothing, he can still fix things with internet instructions? I can see my husband fixing some minor things but actually taking a thing apart and figuring it out i'm pretty sure would be beyone him. Although, we have a recurring problem with our dishwasher so he called the professional dishwasher fixer guy and watched him fix it and now can fix it on his own when it crops up.

He's pretty good at fixing things.

But - I'm not. And Ds and I looked up our model of dishwasher a couple of months ago on the internet, found out how to take it apart, did so, cleaned one clogged hose way inside it, and then put it back together. . . so it can be done! (I was sooooo proud of myself!)

He's pretty good at fixing things.

But - I'm not. And Ds and I looked up our model of dishwasher a couple of months ago on the internet, found out how to take it apart, did so, cleaned one clogged hose way inside it, and then put it back together. . . so it can be done! (I was sooooo proud of myself!)

WOW! :w00t: You are awsome! Alright, I'm going to check this out!

So lemme ask: are you saying that he is pretty good at fixing things and can tap the internet for help if he needs it OR he doesn't know a think about fixing stuff but the internet is so good he has found that knowing nothing, he can still fix things with internet instructions? I can see my husband fixing some minor things but actually taking a thing apart and figuring it out I'm pretty sure would be beyond him. Although, we have a recurring problem with our dishwasher so he called the professional dishwasher fixer guy and watched him fix it and now can fix it on his own when it crops up.

See, my dh is good at fixing things. I would say I'm not. The difference between us is that if he doesn't know how to do something, he reads the instructions. (What is UP with that? It takes all the fun out of it!) I tend to take stuff apart, and when I can't get it back together, I say, "Sweetie, could you come and help me, please?" :lol: He really likes it when I do this. :D The last time I took my sewing machine apart he asked me not to do it without him if I couldn't remember how to put it back together.

My point is, I think anyone can fix stuff if they take the time to learn to do it properly. I would not be one of those people, but that's what I believe. :D

See, my dh is good at fixing things. I would say I'm not. The difference between us is that if he doesn't know how to do something, he reads the instructions. (What is UP with that? It takes all the fun out of it!) I tend to take stuff apart, and when I can't get it back together, I say, "Sweetie, could you come and help me, please?" :lol: He really likes it when I do this. :D The last time I took my sewing machine apart he asked me not to do it without him if I couldn't remember how to put it back together.

My point is, I think anyone can fix stuff if they take the time to learn to do it properly. I would not be one of those people, but that's what I believe. :D

See, this is critical. I think the only reason my dishwasher triumph worked is because I did it with ds(almost 13). He's one of those annoying people who really reads the instructions. So he was able to tell me "No, Mom, you put this one part back next, not that one. . ."! (I can read instructions forward but have trouble doing things backwards. . . I have the same trouble with directions to somewhere. I always get lost trying to reverse the directions!)

Loverboy:

--packs his own lunch for work; he used to eat out 1X/week with his best friend, but now they have the same employer, so they eat out even less often.

--avoids pop totally, and drinks water

--drives the speed limit

--does maintenance on cars; researches the internet to see if he can fix it himself

--does maintenance on house; researches the internet to see if he can fix it himself

--listens to the weather, and plans accordingly.

Example: Since May 1st, our garage has been filled with furniture from my Grandma's house and general disorganization as Loverboy puts our stuff on new shelves. Last night was risk of hail, so he shoved everything to one side of the garage and put his car in the garage.

Example: We had a lot of snow last winter. One weekend, we were at risk for rain (on top of the 16+inches on our roof). Loverboy spent an afternoon shoveling the roofs of our house and garage before the rain. Others in the area had structural damage due to the weight of the rained-on snow.

--cuts his own hair...or now I cut it.

--shops at Sam's Club. Just the savings on CHEESE for our family....!!!

--doesn't throw out his old t-shirts, underwear, etc, until I make a big deal about it. (Really, it has to be pretty bad for me to complain!)

--does not text message or send photos via cell phone

--bakes bread for the family. (I have tried, but my bread is inedible).

--drives a Corolla...but has started to ride his bike to work.

ETA: I know there's more, because I use it to tease him when he teases me about re-using my tea bags and washing out ziplock bags.

In our marriage, my dh was the frugal one, and I learned from him. He does many of the things already mentioned.

When he makes a new purchase, he looks for quality.

Then he maintains his tools and such. Never left outside, serviced, etc.

He does almost all repair work himself. My fil is a most amazing man - can fix anything, build anything - and dh learned from him.

Keeps our cars well maintained and does his own repair work.

He's not into computers, electronics or anything like that. His main hobby is football, and NFL Sunday Ticket is the only expense I can think of.

He always takes his lunch to work.

He does much of the gardening and work in the orchard.

His tastes are simple. Our recreation includes long walks, picnics at the park or our own orchard, fishing.

He's a long range planner while I'm more into planning for the coming week. His long range planning has saved us many times from costly mistakes.

DH recycles wood, screws, hinges etc. He uses them for all kinds of projects - with DS in Boy Scouts and working on a myriad of merit badges having all of those supplies is saving us money. DS is currently making wood duck boxes using good, clean, recycled materials.

DH does most of our home improvement projects himself.

He sets a budget for how much he will spend when he is working (which takes him away from home for 24 hours at a time) and does a great job sticking to it.

He does odd jobs for people so we can get discounts on things. For instance, he helped install a water softener for the man we buy beef from. We will get a good discount when we make our next purchase.

ETA: I forgot - DH goes to the library magazine sale to purchase his magazines. He likes antiques, archeology and history magazines and would rather pay .10 each then the cover prices.

He rides a 1950's tank bike instead of buying a new one. He gets way more compliments than I do on my new bike.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

Auto repair - he changes our oil, filters etc.

Furnace maintenance

Lots of DIY stuff. It's amazing how much information you can get on how to fix things on the internet. Paying for parts is so much cheaper than paying for a repairman.

I do this at my house.:D Except for the auto maintenance stuff - my 12yo does that.

Mine just doesn't spend money - that is his contribution! (Well, that and working all the OT he gets offered.)

If the economy had to rely on my dh it would collapse. He does most car repairs, most house repairs, packs his own lunch each day, eats whatever I serve him with gratitude, barters/trades, gleans, helps with garden weeding. For the house re-build he is doing all of the drywalling except the main floor, same with painting. We did all of the sealing (from the smoke), etc.etc. (the house stuff alone has saved $1000's).

He also leads 3 Bible Studies and Biblical counseling one day a week (gratis -he has a ph.d. in clinical psych) and has been available to many, many friends and family for advice/free counseling. because of this generosity he has been "gifted" lots of things- from clothes/furniture/food and gift cards to time helping with re-build projects/help with wood cutting (back when we heated with wood). (though that is not at all why he donates his time- he is just a very generous person).

HA! HA!

My dh can fix anything. He builds things, he wires things, he plants & mows & edges. He builds train tables (when our sons were all over Brio) and doll houses, chicken pens, and whatnot. He loves the challenge of building stuff from salvaged & free wood. He makes coffee for us each morning and fills our mugs. I don't think he has stepped into a mall in 25 years. LOL He doesn't watch any network TV whatsoever (was the person who never wanted cable), but does have a crank radio he keeps in the barn and carries around our porperty so he can listen to the Red Sox.

He travels extensively ( think he's got over 100k FF miles for this year), and can muck out a chicken pen in the morning, and meet with a CEO at night. I have never met a man so much his own person, and with so many intersts. He is not a spender. If he can build it with wood from the dump, it will be done.