Menu

I know this question probably comes up a lot. But I'm really needing some suggestions from seasoned homeschoolers :001_smile:

I could use some help deciding on a math program for the fall. My DD will be in first grade (but she is a young 1st grader- turns 6 in Sept)

This is what I'm looking for:

-good foundation

-hands on/uses manipulatives

-walks me (teacher) through the lessons (math kinda intimidates me for fear of messing them up for good... I want to be able to provide a good foundation)

-workbooks are fine but I don't want that to be the ONLY thing we do (and I don't care about color vs black and white)

-I don't want a really intensive program as 1) DD is younger 2) I am reading more about delaying formal math and it makes sense and 3) I want to focus on reading and writing... so maybe 15min a day?

-I want something fun so she will enjoy math (this is a fear that she will learn to hate it)

-the perfect program that I'll buy and use till all the kids graduate highschool - ok I know this is not realistic but the hours I've put into thinking this over you'd expect nothing less :lol: (totally kidding here)

basically something that is gentle, fun and provides a good basic foundation

I have my eye on Rightstart and Math-u-see (and go back and forth between the two programs about 100 times a day lol) which one would be a better fit for us? Other suggestions greatly welcome!

I just switched from Singapore's Earlybird math to Math U See and my son and daughter really enjoy it. They like to watch Mr. Steve and go right into the workbook and play with the blocks. For extras I have flashcards, counting bears, bag of beans, clock, and measuing spoons and cups. The last time I used Lifepacs for 1st grade and it went well too but I like the one subject at a time approach. Since I swithed my oldest she is doing much better so I hope MUS works for my younger two.

Rightstart is scripted and MUS is not, so that may make a difference for you. You can print up the RS free sample lessons to try. From what I have read, RS worksheets are not with every lesson. MUS has a lot of workbook pages per lesson, which can be skipped.

Another easy to use manipulative based program is McRuffy, it has a hands on activity and one workbook page per lesson and is very spiral. Miquon is another gentle, manipulative based program.

Spiral and mastery are important to consider. Does your dd like to stay on one concept at a time until mastered or keep changing concepts and adding more to stay interested? Each kid is different about it. MUS is very mastery spending a whole year on one concept. Some kids love it and others need to change.

I want to get RS but can't afford it right now. I tried MUS Primer and my ds didn't like the blocks because they don't stick together like legos, so he got frustrated with them. They would seem to click, but then fall apart. He didn't like the dvds or Mr. Steve either, and definitely didn't like so many workbook pages and one BIG workbook. I personally like scripted teacher's manuals, so I didn't like MUS either. It's different for everyone. I bought MUS wanting to use it for a long time, but it wasn't a good fit for us at all.

While your deciding, you can read this fun mathmatical tale and do some math activities from it just for fun:Gnomes and Gnumbers

Edited by Devotional Soul

We started out with Miquon and I thought it was great and DD was learning, but she REALLY didn't like it, so we switched to Practical Arithmetics, which is an old textbook. We got through chapter 1 this year, taking it at DD's pace, and I hope to finish Ch. 2 next year. It's very thorough, there are lots of suggestions of games, etc., and we still used some of the concepts from Miquon, such as the number line which was one of the few Miquon things that really clicked for DD.

Math U See sounds like what you're looking for. Check, check, check- all down your list. At the Zeta level, math isn't exactly *fun* (that's 5th/6th grade), but when I was talking to my hubby about switching ('cause if we were going to we needed to at this level) my son chimes in and says he loves Math U See! Yea!

I'll be starting my DD 1st grader this year on Alpha, and have never bought the Primer but I'm thinking about it for my DS 5. They just recently "expanded" MUS so there was more review each week, but it isn't necessary to do it all if your DC doesn't need to. HTH

McRuffy math sounds exactly like what you are looking for....except it won't take you all the way through high school.....but honestly, since you are asking "seasoned" HSers.......there's probably NOT many who used the same math from start to finish, even if it was possible.

McRuffy has workbook, but also has board games, cut-n-paste, manipulatives...it's colorful, cute, but most of all, it is good math and it works.

I used Math mammoth with dd6. She loved it. There are many suggestions for games, websites. We used manipulatives although it isn't formally part of the program, although later in the book they do use some.

DD loves the card games that are in the book, even the older kids like to play with her. Not as hands on as MUS, but it has worked wonderful ;)

I have my eye on Rightstart and Math-u-see (and go back and forth between the two programs about 100 times a day lol) which one would be a better fit for us? Other suggestions greatly welcome!

I have used MUS, Horizons, Math Mammoth and Abeka. McRuffy is what I plan to use with my DS. I will be selling my Abeka manuals and wasting my Math Mammoth in order to do so. That said, Rightstart might be a good choice as well.

My daughter has dyscalculia. McRuffy has foundation builders in critical thinking and visual perception. Things that my daughter desperately needs. I suppose this may not apply to your children, but they do all need those foundational skills. I will be supplementing Math Mammoth with these things for her and starting out with them for my DS.

The thing about Miquon and MUS is that they might be excellent for your child, but children with visual spatial problems are not going to benefit from the rods. Activities that build those skills (like McRuffy) and using an Abacus (you can add this to any program) are the ways to go. I wish I knew this before now.

so miquon uses cuisenaire rods like MUS uses their blocks? i have a set of rods already so that would help w/ cost

My worry w/ MUS (and w/ miquon) would be using the same manipulatives day in day out. We used cuisenaire rods w/ teh alphabet book for math this year (MFW K) and I felt she got bored doing the same activity over and over.

My oldest DD seems to be pretty laid back w/ school. She gets stressed when something is really hard for her (which then I usually just back off) and she can be easily distracted when she's not doing something she LOVES (like working on copy work sometimes takes her a LONG time if her brother and sister are playing... but will take her a few min when she is into it) That said I can't really pinpoint whether she does better w/ hands on stuff or worksheets... I think for her either one as long as she is interested and engaged. She will pick up old kummon workbooks to do for fun in her spare time.

I think you'd really like RightStart.

We've used both RightStart and MUS. MUS was just the same old boring worksheets, same old blocks which lost their novelty quickly, and bored us to death. I couldn't stand dragging the workbook out anymore. Finally we tried RS, and fell in love. RightStart is creative and fun, minimal worksheets, something new everyday, and teaches in such an intuitive manner.

I am switching to CSMP for many of the reasons that you cite. My dd is and avanced 5yo, and I don't want a lot of seatwork. The program uses games, stories, books and manipulatives. And the lessons are scripted, so I know exactly what I need to do and say. I don't usually follow scripts with exactitude, but I like to have it laid out what I need to relay to the child. It is a bit teacher-intensive, but my dd really craves interaction, so no matter what I choose, I am going to have to be with her. So it might as well be in the context of reading stories and playing games.

ahhhhhhhh so many wonderful programs to look at :lol:

I'm still really attracted to rightstart since everything is there... I don't have to try to pull another thing together (along w/ pulling together history, science...)

ok my list to really compare

rightstart- still loving the looks of this... how teacher intensive is it really? Could we go slower through it w/o problem? With RS would it be easy to move on to another program later?

Mathematics made meaningful- how is this different than miquon?

csmp - this is free, right?

and MUS and miquon (but it doesn't seem these have much variety by way of manipulatives)

csmp - this is free, right?

Yes, it is all online, with a few exceptions. I had to purchase some C-rods, and I had to get some A-blocks, which you can either purchase or make. I chose to make them from the templates that they have online. A magnetic dry erase board is also a good idea to have.

rightstart- still loving the looks of this... how teacher intensive is it really?

The teacher prep time is minimal. All the lessons are scripted and Dr. Cotter does a great job at helping the parent walks the student though the concepts.

The teacher intensiveness comes in the fact that the parent has to actually sit there with the child doing the lessons. It's not a program where you can just get the kid started and have him/her work independently while you're in the same room doing something else. This is less of an issue with a young child obviously but is often a reason folks switch from RS later on.

Could we go slower through it w/o problem?

Yes, and it is particularly common to take longer than a year with Level B. I highly recommend getting the Math Card Games set even though it's optional for B because it offers things to do while you're "parked" on a particular concept.

With RS would it be easy to move on to another program later?

It's very easy to move to one of the other programs that are based on the Asian way of teaching math like Singapore or Math Mammoth. Just make sure you have the student take the placement tests since it can really vary which level they'd place into.

We've used both RightStart and MUS. MUS was just the same old boring worksheets, same old blocks which lost their novelty quickly, and bored us to death. I couldn't stand dragging the workbook out anymore. Finally we tried RS, and fell in love. RightStart is creative and fun, minimal worksheets, something new everyday, and teaches in such an intuitive manner.

:iagree:

Math U See sounds like what you're looking for. Check, check, check- all down your list. At the Zeta level, math isn't exactly *fun* (that's 5th/6th grade), but when I was talking to my hubby about switching ('cause if we were going to we needed to at this level) my son chimes in and says he loves Math U See! Yea!

I'll be starting my DD 1st grader this year on Alpha, and have never bought the Primer but I'm thinking about it for my DS 5. They just recently "expanded" MUS so there was more review each week, but it isn't necessary to do it all if your DC doesn't need to. HTH

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Satori, I have really enjoyed your curriculum reviews on this board. ITA about MUS. MUS is also not good for a student with Visual Perception problems and RightStart is. :)

I just ordered RS from the coop... hoping that level B will possibly last us 2 years... if not that is fine

it just seemed like the best fit for us.. this year at least :tongue_smilie:

YAY! :hurray:

what is MEP?

:tongue_smilie:

MEP is:

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/default.htm

MEP was a hot topic recently here and there are a ton of threads about it.

It's a hands on program that is really into conceptual math and problem solving. The lesson plans provide step by step assistance to implement the program and it's free! We are working through Year 1a and my big girl really enjoys it.

I have to add another plug for McRuffy. My kids love it. I was going to change it this year but my kids pitched a fit when the "new math" showed up on the porch and I just had to sell it all and dig out the McRuffy stuff again for next year. In the end my kids are right, it's fun, I enjoy teaching it and it does a great job.

The one thing I love is that the hands on isn't just during the lesson, it includes Games which my kids really look forward.

They also have great customer service and Brian (the author) is wonderful about answering emails. Once time I lost a page I needed for a lesson and emailed him thinking I'd just wing it that afternoon without that particular sheet from the resource pack. 10 minutes later my email "dinged" and when I checked it he had emailed me a PDF of the missing page so I wouldn't have to wing it.