Menu

Is there a 1-year world history program for elementary school?

Mandy in TN

WinterPromise has Hideaways in History for the younger set (or could be used with the upper elementary if you used the older version with all 4 SOTW volumes scheduled). They also have Sea and Sky for an upper elementary.

Thanks, CHOW is used in SL1+2. I was looking for something else.

I actually used WP S&S a couple of years ago and it isn't what I am looking for, but I had forgotten about WP HIH. It may be a little young. I was thinking about a 2nd grader and a 5th grader. But, it should give me some ideas. I didn't realize that WP removed SOTW from the HIH program.

Is there a program that uses Gombrich's A Little History of the World?

Thanks-

Mandy

I just ran across this one the other day:

http://bringinguplearners.com/wp-content/uploads/Curricula/MMM_LearningGuide_L.pdf

I have not personally used it or evaluated it, but it is free and it may help you. ;)

Thanks, that's a step in the right direction! Although it is part 1 of a multi-year world history program, it looks like it covers nearly 1/2 of A Little History.

Mandy

• 3 years later...

This is an old thread but...

Have any other curriculums come out that cover an overview of world history for the elementary crowd? :bigear: 

I'm currently working on putting one together for my 1st grader this year using picture books from the library and Ergermier's Bible Story Book. I'm making or finding notebooking/lapbooking pages to go with it.

Her older sister is doing Preparing Hearts for His Glory this year from Heart of Dakota so I wanted little sister to follow HOD's timeline, but using picture books. Dd6 doesn't listen in to the history readings or any of the Heart of Dakota stuff; it will strictly be her own program just the same time periods. I should be posting what we've done each month on my blog if you're interested. 

I'm currently working on putting one together for my 1st grader this year using picture books from the library and Ergermier's Bible Story Book. I'm making or finding notebooking/lapbooking pages to go with it.

Her older sister is doing Preparing Hearts for His Glory this year from Heart of Dakota so I wanted little sister to follow HOD's timeline, but using picture books. Dd6 doesn't listen in to the history readings or any of the Heart of Dakota stuff; it will strictly be her own program just the same time periods. I should be posting what we've done each month on my blog if you're interested. 

I will bookmark your blog!  Thanks!!

It's not a curriculum, but this year I've been doing a sweeping overview of world history for my 1st grader. We are reading about one event/person each week and adding them to our timeline. I tried to focus on inventions and people and not as much on wars, although we did talk about the Revolutionary War when covering George Washington and the Civil War when covering Abraham Lincoln. I made a list of what I wanted to cover before the year began and now I just find books from the library to read. I've enjoyed it, my son looks forward to it, and by putting the list of topics to cover together myself, I was able to make sure we covered things that interest my kids (like Tchaikovsky composing the music for Swan Lake, the invention of the steam engine, etc).

Tapestry of Grace is coming out with Primer - A one year overview of History for about K-1st.

What about just reading all 4 SOTW books? or listening to the audio CDs in the car and using the activity guides?

Or you could use All through the Ages book/guide to easily and simply create your own chronological literature based study.

Crash Course in History on Youtube could be another base,

Guest Hollows Chronological Timeline/History COurse; http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/awesomehistory/awesome_history.html

You could use a Kingfisher or Usborne World History Encyclopedia, and take weekly trips to the library for materials on the subject.

And I don't know of the grades forit, but Notgrass does an Exploring World History curriculum (although I think this may not be elementary).

It's not a curriculum, but this year I've been doing a sweeping overview of world history for my 1st grader. We are reading about one event/person each week and adding them to our timeline. I tried to focus on inventions and people and not as much on wars, although we did talk about the Revolutionary War when covering George Washington and the Civil War when covering Abraham Lincoln. I made a list of what I wanted to cover before the year began and now I just find books from the library to read. I've enjoyed it, my son looks forward to it, and by putting the list of topics to cover together myself, I was able to make sure we covered things that interest my kids (like Tchaikovsky composing the music for Swan Lake, the invention of the steam engine, etc).

Would you want to share your list??  Did you add in activities at all?

Tapestry of Grace is coming out with Primer - A one year overview of History for about K-1st.

I will look into this, thanks!  Do you happen to have a link?  Or is it not out yet?? (never mind found where they were talking about it)

The grades are 3rd, 2nd, and K.

I have All Through the Ages to use as a resource just trying to see if I can use someone else's plan to keep me accountable.  :rolleyes:

I was considering following the HOD Preparing guide but there is a lot I don't want to do and not sure it is worth the $ if I am only using it for some readings and activities.

Would you want to share your list??  Did you add in activities at all?

I didn't add any activities, mostly because I'm not an activity type of person. I have Biblical events, but those could easily be left out if desired. Some people/inventions were included specifically because of the interests of my family, so feel free to substitute other composers or artists of the same style if your family likes another better. Some of these lead to fun rabbit trails (for example the Phoenician Alphabet can lead to learning about writing in general in history, where our alphabet came from, etc).

Whirlwind 1-Year Timeline of World History

1. Creation

2. Flood

3. Discovery of silk in China

4. Pyramid of Giza built

5. God's covenant with Abraham

6. Phoenician Alphabet

7. Moses and the Exodus

8. David begins his reign as king of Israel

9. Nebuchadnezzar builds the Hanging Gardens of Babylon

10. Cyrus the Great conquered Babylon/freed the Jews from captivity

11. Pythagoras knew the earth is round (this was hard to find books on. I read the small excerpt from The Story of Science for this)

12. The month of August was named after Augustus Caesar

13. Jesus

14. Invention of paper in China

15. Justin Martyr as an early Church father

16. Constantine adopted Christianity

17. Mayan number system

18. Zero as a number (and not just a place holder) in India. (This was hard to find books for.)

19. Leif the Lucky briefly spends time in North America

20. Pick your favorite knight. Or get a book on knights and let your kid pick one.

21. John Wycliffe/First English translation of Bible

22. Johannes Gutenberg/First movable type printing press

23. Columbus tries to find a route to Asia and instead introduces "new" land to Europe

24. Leonard Da Vinci (focusing on the Mona Lisa)/any Renaissance artist

25. Galileo Galilei develops a Heliocentric model of the solar system

26. Squanto helps the Pilgrims/First Thanksgiving

27. George Handel (we read about him and listened to Handel's Messiah)/any Baroque composer

28. George Washington/First President of US

29. Richard Trevithick develops the steam locomotive (my son likes trains, so we used this on our timeline, but read about trains through history)

30. Abraham Lincoln/Civil war

31. Monet (focusing on "Sunrise")/any Impressionism artist

32. Tchaikovsky composes the music to "Swan Lake" (their favorite ballet)/any Romantic music composer

33. L Frank Baum writes The Wizard of Oz (family favorite, sub your family's favorite book)

34. Sir Alexander Fleming discovers penicillin

35. Salvador Dalí/surrealism painting

36. Neil Armstrong/Moon landing

I didn't add any activities, mostly because I'm not an activity type of person. I have Biblical events, but those could easily be left out if desired. Some people/inventions were included specifically because of the interests of my family, so feel free to substitute other composers or artists of the same style if your family likes another better. Some of these lead to fun rabbit trails (for example the Phoenician Alphabet can lead to learning about writing in general in history, where our alphabet came from, etc).

Whirlwind 1-Year Timeline of World History

1. Creation

2. Flood

3. Discovery of silk in China

4. Pyramid of Giza built

5. God's covenant with Abraham

6. Phoenician Alphabet

7. Moses and the Exodus

8. David begins his reign as king of Israel

9. Nebuchadnezzar builds the Hanging Gardens of Babylon

10. Cyrus the Great conquered Babylon/freed the Jews from captivity

11. Pythagoras knew the earth is round (this was hard to find books on. I read the small excerpt from The Story of Science for this)

12. The month of August was named after Augustus Caesar

13. Jesus

14. Invention of paper in China

15. Justin Martyr as an early Church father

16. Constantine adopted Christianity

17. Mayan number system

18. Zero as a number (and not just a place holder) in India. (This was hard to find books for.)

19. Leif the Lucky briefly spends time in North America

20. Pick your favorite knight. Or get a book on knights and let your kid pick one.

21. John Wycliffe/First English translation of Bible

22. Johannes Gutenberg/First movable type printing press

23. Columbus tries to find a route to Asia and instead introduces "new" land to Europe

24. Leonard Da Vinci (focusing on the Mona Lisa)/any Renaissance artist

25. Galileo Galilei develops a Heliocentric model of the solar system

26. Squanto helps the Pilgrims/First Thanksgiving

27. George Handel (we read about him and listened to Handel's Messiah)/any Baroque composer

28. George Washington/First President of US

29. Richard Trevithick develops the steam locomotive (my son likes trains, so we used this on our timeline, but read about trains through history)

30. Abraham Lincoln/Civil war

31. Monet (focusing on "Sunrise")/any Impressionism artist

32. Tchaikovsky composes the music to "Swan Lake" (their favorite ballet)/any Romantic music composer

33. L Frank Baum writes The Wizard of Oz (family favorite, sub your family's favorite book)

34. Sir Alexander Fleming discovers penicillin

35. Salvador Dalí/surrealism painting

36. Neil Armstrong/Moon landing

Thank you for sharing!

This is an old thread but...

Have any other curriculums come out that cover an overview of world history for the elementary crowd? :bigear: 

If you are interested in using A Child's History of the World, I have completed Book Notes and history schedules for the first 1/3 of this book (which is used in Year One in my curriculum) and the last 1/3 (which is used Year Three). I am in the process of putting up the remaining chapters for the middle section (which will be used for Year Two in my curriculum) and once this is complete I can then create a history schedule for Year Two as well. I should have all of the Book Notes for A Child's History of the World complete in the next couple of weeks. I will offer the notes in three sections (one for each year) as well as one total section. If there is an interest in it, I could combine the additional readings, etc. into one complete guide for this book. This would include booklists, a reading schedule and additional activity suggestions. My curriculum is modeled after a CM/Classical approach (with a heavy emphasis on CM), so the Book Notes are written for narration work.

My blog (A Mind in the Light) has all of the notes and schedules that I've described above under Year One and Year Three. The books that would be included on the booklists can be found here too and Year Two would have the books included for its year as well. I'm still offering everything at my blog for free, although at some point in the future this may change. I'm also willing to take suggestions for any guides, schedules or notes for any of the books or years in my curriculum. If I know someone needs it or would like to see something, I'm willing to add it to my list of current work.

:) Lisa

Thank you!

I'll work on creating one complete guide for A Child's History of the World. I can share the potential booklist now with the idea that I would adapt it as I went along.

Some questions:

• Since the book would need to be completed in one year (it being an overview of world history), you would need to cover roughly 2 chapters per week with 19 weeks of 3 chapters. (There are 91 chapters and this is set up with the idea of needing a 36-week school year.) If I create the schedule to hold 3 lessons per week, this would mean 2 slots would always hold a reading from CHOW and the third slot could vary between the extra reading needed (for the 19 chapters still needed) and the supplemental book list. I would assume that most families would prefer to only have three history slots per week. Is this correct?

• If it were designed to include some middle elementary students (grades 4-5), these students could have an additional history day added but be designed to be independent work. Would there be an interest in this?

• Would a read-aloud booklist with independent reader suggestions be enough? Would you prefer picture books only for the read-aloud list? Or would you like to see a few chapter books too?

• I am in no position, at this point, to being able to create detailed or beautiful notebook pages, coloring pages, project pages, etc. but I could create some simple pages and would provide links to other sites with free resources. Would this be okay?

• I don't normally expect my younger students to keep a Book of Centuries. This is good to start in Year 4, but I have been included a date for many chapters in the notes I have so far for older students to use. I also have included it because any student using the notes with older siblings may want to keep a Book of Centuries as well. (Little ones often want to do what their older siblings are doing.) Also, a number of families keep a timeline instead of a Book of Centuries. I would keep this in the notes, but this could be optional.

• Would you like literature suggestions as well? (This would be for historical fiction, some classic books which fits the time period being studied, etc.)

I may have a few more questions as I try to work out the details for this. :)

Here are some possible books for the booklist:

•Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs by James Rumford
•Mummies, Pyramids and Pharaohs: A Book About Ancient Egypt by Gail Gibbons
•Cleopatra by Diane Stanley
•Sacred River: The Ganges of India by Ted Lewin
•Viking Tales by Jennie Hall
•Saladin by Diane Stanley (Book Notes)
•Joan of Arc by Diane Stanley (Book Notes)
•The Cloudmakers by James Rumford
•Till Year's Good End by W. Nikola-lisa
•Fine Print: A Story About Johann Gutenberg by Joann J. Burch
•Good Queen Bess by Diane Stanley or The Queen's Progress: An Elizabethan Alphabet by Celeste Mannis
•Peter the Great by Diane Stanley Peter the Great Book Notes
•And Then What Happened, Paul Revere? by Jean Fritz
•What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin? by Jean Fritz
•Just a Few Words, Mr. Lincoln by Jean Fritz
•Robert Fulton: From Submarine to Steamboat by Stephen Kroll
•Thomas Jefferson: A Picture Book Biography by James Cross Giblin
•Life on a Plantation by Bobbie Kalman
•Florence Nightingale by Ruth Fox Hume
•A Boy Named FDR: How Franklin D. Roosevelt Grew Up to Change America by Kathleen Krull
•Gandhi by Primo Levi

I do have other books that I like for the early years and may move some of these around. For example, in my curriculum the modern time period is covered using the last 1/3 of CHOW (and the last half of Our Island Story too) in Year Three. In this year, Harriet Tubman is included as a source for additional reading, but this is in the form of an independent reader. I don't want anyone to see this booklist and think that I've forgotten some very important people. They may be included in other ways in the curriculum and this is why I would have to make some adjustments to the booklist.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to do a big overview year in 4th (ds) / 2nd (dd) / K (dd) using:

- A Little History of the World (illustrated ed.) + Usborne Enc. WH (for ds)

- A timeline card set (Classically Catholic Memory for us)- to memorize over the year (all)

- A timeline/book of centuries (all)

Connect The Thoughts Big Ideas in History Politics and Economics / Technology in History (for ds and dd), possibly All Purpose Civics and How to Do Research (lower elem)

• 1 month later...