Menu

Urgent prayers needed for Abby Sunderland

The plane should be in the area by 1:30 a.m., US EST. http://www.world-clock.com.au/

http://www.perthnow.com.au/

Hopefully, there will be rapid updates at this website. I hope they find her. It is such a vast ocean and she is a little speck, and the jet will have to be going pretty fast ... not good, prayers are necessary.

Edited by RoughCollie

You know, I can't help but feel cynical about this. What do you bet she'll be signing a book deal and possibly a movie deal next week? This may not be quite as calculated as the Balloon Boy incident, but she put the whole world to the emotional upheaval of worrying about her (not to mention the expense of an emergency rescue) and now she'll become rich and famous.

You know, I can't help but feel cynical about this. What do you bet she'll be signing a book deal and possibly a movie deal next week? This may not be quite as calculated as the Balloon Boy incident, but she put the whole world to the emotional upheaval of worrying about her (not to mention the expense of an emergency rescue) and now she'll become rich and famous.

I am glad she has been located...

She hasn't been rescued yet, tho'. I hope to God she will be.

It reminds me of the little girl who was "flying solo" across the US and ended up dying in a crash...Jessica Dubroff. She was only 7.

I know the sailor is older but I wonder whose dreams these really are?

Rebecca this is no stunt. She was in a 40 ft sailboat in 40 ft waves. She lost her mast and rigging when her boat rolled in the storm. She had marine radio contact with the plane, but not with her family. It will still be some time before she can be reached for a rescue.

Will be keeping her in my prayers. :)

Rebecca this is no stunt. She was in a 40 ft sailboat in 40 ft waves. She lost her mast and rigging when her boat rolled in the storm. She had marine radio contact with the plane' date=' but not with her family. It will still be some time before she can be reached for a rescue.

Will be keeping her in my prayers. :)[/quote']

The disabled boat and imminent rescue is not a stunt. I agree.

However, trying to be the youngest female to sail around the world might qualify as a stunt for some people.

I didn't say it was a stunt. I do think what she did was foolhardy, and her parents should never have let her go through it with alone. If she does make millions on a book deal and a movie deal, she should at the very least reimburse the agencies who sent rescue boats and planes to her aid.

I didn't say it was a stunt. I do think what she did was foolhardy, and her parents should never have let her go through it with alone. If she does make millions on a book deal and a movie deal, she should at the very least reimburse the agencies who sent rescue boats and planes to her aid.

Just wanted to say: I know you didn't use the word stunt.

I know what you mean, though about the book & movie deals now that this happened.

So do her parents have to pay the rescue agencies of I think 3 different countries? And what happens to her boat when she's rescued? Do they just leave it adrift? Eventually when someone finds it do they get salvage rights?

I'm guessing her parents have serious money to let her do something like this in the first place. Aside from the issue of their kid may die during this, there's the big issue of they had to actually buy her the boat to do something like this, knowing perfectly well something could happen and the boat is just gone.

So is she a spoiled kid, or living out a dream of her parents?

Abby's family has given this young girl the love of sailing, the love of adventure, the willingness to take risks, and the ability to be independant while at the same time giving her both the physical and emotional skills that will help to to come through this attempt to sail around the world and to admit when she can no longer go on.

Abby and her family knew the risks in an attempted solo around the world navigation and if it wasn't something that she really wanted to do, her parents could not have convinced her to do it.

I don't know how or if the family will be charged for the rescue. Any time someone goes out on a boat there is a possibility of something going majorly wrong, that also applies to everytime we get behind the wheel of a car.

I don't know that I would allow a 16 year old to do this from the viewpoint of a parent, but I respect the decisions that her family has made.

I wish Abby the best, I know it is still many hours until she is safely ashore.

Edited by Mama Geek
In complete sentance that didn't get deleted out.

So do her parents have to pay the rescue agencies of I think 3 different countries? And what happens to her boat when she's rescued? Do they just leave it adrift? Eventually when someone finds it do they get salvage rights?

I'm guessing her parents have serious money to let her do something like this in the first place. Aside from the issue of their kid may die during this, there's the big issue of they had to actually buy her the boat to do something like this, knowing perfectly well something could happen and the boat is just gone.

So is she a spoiled kid, or living out a dream of her parents?

A quick read of any of the news stories about this girl will answer many of your questions. She grew up sailing. Her family sails. Her brother (at 17) sailed around the world as well. This isn't some random family looking for stardom, although I agree the timing is poor and I personally cannot imagine sending my minor child on a trip - alone - in a boat - around the world. :001_huh:

Maritime law dictates that it should be sunk, otherwise it's a floating hazard to shipping. If it were the Navy rescueing her then they would fire a few rounds into it until it went down, but as it's a small fishing boat rescuing her they may not have the means to sink it.

I don't think so. We tracked her brother Zach's trip last year. Sailing is completely in this family's blood. I had no idea that she was even doing this so I am glad to hear she's okay.

ETA: If I remember right, Abby and Zach's dad is a shipwright and their family is one that lives life to its fullest. There was nothing in Zach's blogs or the comments from his mom that indicated that these kids were spoiled. Zach was inspired by Robin Graham's novel, Dove. I enjoyed following Zach's blog and seeing how this remarkable young man handled challenges. I must confess to continuously pointing out to my kids, "See what's possible if you homeschool."

Edited by swimmermom3
Addition

Rebecca I'm sorry - I misunderstood your meaning. I was referring more to the balloon boy incident as having been a stunt, and was making the distinction between these.

Maybe I'm naive, but I really think that her intent in attempting to sail solo around the world was simply to be the youngest, or youngest female, to do so. I think there is a drive in some people to be the "best" at what you do, and along with that drive, there is seldom an age limit, or minimum. We've always had young people excelling in various ways - Mozart, Michaelangelo, inventors, etc. - it's just that now there are more trying things that carry an element of risk. Take a look at our Olympic athletes. They're younger than she is and jumping how many feet into the air while on skies and flipping around and landing. As the events become more and more competitive and more risky, the potential injuries escalate as well.

I don't think this was much different, but the part that made this more risky than it should have been was continuing with plans despite the delays. This put the risk of dangerous seas that much more with it being closer to winter. Would I want my daughter going - absolutely not. But I sure would be proud of her even having the skills, confidence, determination, and faith to even give it consideration.

I am so glad she was rescued and is okay. :)