Menu

Great Courses

I see Phillip Daileader's Middle Ages courses are on huge sale now (in the Cdn version of the catalogue anyway)

We have SO enjoyed these (I got all 3 - early, high, late). I think in almost every 30 min lecture he says something funny enough to make us all crack up. He's passionate about his topic and a clear presenter.

The early middle ages he seemed to hum/haw/pause/aaaaaaaaaaand a bit more but not enough to be really annoying. We're almost finished the high & these he's really presenting very well. I also appreciate the structure of the lectures. He always starts with in our last lecture we _____; today we'll _______; then he talks about _______; and then he always finishes with in conclusion, ___________.

As for me, I'm waiting for Western Civ II to go on sale. It was on a while back & I got busy and didn't order it :-(

I hope it goes on sale before Oct.....

Pretty sure Western Civ is 70% off right now. I'll go double check...

Looks like it is 109.95 for the DVD 48 lectures set.

ETA: Nope. That's the Foundations series. I don't see II in my catalogue.

Hold up! Try this:

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/SearchV2/searchttc.aspx?xr=t&PageSize=20&MaxPages=200&SearchKind=AllWords&FilterUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thegreatcourses.com&MediaType=&PriceRange=&Subject=&SearchPhrase=Western+Civilization+II&ADV=t

I see Phillip Daileader's Middle Ages courses are on huge sale now (in the Cdn version of the catalogue anyway)

We have SO enjoyed these (I got all 3 - early, high, late). I think in almost every 30 min lecture he says something funny enough to make us all crack up. He's passionate about his topic and a clear presenter.

The early middle ages he seemed to hum/haw/pause/aaaaaaaaaaand a bit more but not enough to be really annoying. We're almost finished the high & these he's really presenting very well. I also appreciate the structure of the lectures. He always starts with in our last lecture we _____; today we'll _______; then he talks about _______; and then he always finishes with in conclusion, ___________.

As for me, I'm waiting for Western Civ II to go on sale. It was on a while back & I got busy and didn't order it :-(

I hope it goes on sale before Oct.....

Edited by LibraryLover

Hmmm, thanks; the set of 1 & 2 is on sale for $199.

I don't need 1 but this is still a pretty good deal. If I did the math right, if set 2 was on 70% off it would be 156. I don't know if it ever goes much lower than that.

I guess I could sell 1 and just keep 2........

Now I need to find a free shipping code :D

Wait, HB! Are you saying that the sale prices still do not include the 70% off sale??

:confused: LL, I don't know what I'm saying b/e I don't know what you're asking.

:D

The western civ comes as a set or as part 1 & 2 separately. I only want part 2 but that's not on sale as far as I can see.

Only the set is on sale.

I was just thinking out loud that if #2 on its own WERE on sale, it would prob also be 70% off & would be around 150 so getting both 1 & 2 for 200 is not a bad deal.

clear as mud?

Is YRST a code to get $20 offer an $100.00 or more?

I appreciate your help. So I gather you really like this Civilization series?

Hi - yes, it takes $20 off any order over $100.

I like Daileader. I've not tried the Bucholz Western Civ II yet - that's the one I want to buy. I'm going entirely by reviews I read on this board & a few other places.

:rant:

& the board ate my post a few minutes with another server timeout but I wanted to say that as much as I like their courses, I hate their business model with the hidden discounts & hunting around for promo codes, & prices which keep changing. I just opened a new window to try another coupon (you can enter lots of promo codes but only 1 coupon code per shopping cart) and the price for the actual course is different. I've got one window with the course for 199, and another window with the course for 219. I can't remember what I did to get the price to drop in the 1st window......It's just such a silly shopping process with them.

I see Phillip Daileader's Middle Ages

The early middle ages he seemed to hum/haw/pause/aaaaaaaaaaand a bit more but not enough to be really annoying. We're almost finished the high & these he's really presenting very well.

That is nice to know. I couldn't take the AAAAAAAAAnds.

Harl has a new lecture on Alexander. I bit.

Are these courses for yourselves or for your children? If that latter, how old are your children and what do they think of the courses? DVD or audio?

I bought one of these years ago--a history of philosophy--and loved it. It made a long commute almost enjoyable.

I've been eyeing some of the math classes for my two older math crazy sons. I think the might be too much of a reach.

Should I? Have you? I want those Art History lectures...

Are you talking about Kloss' A History of European Art on sale for $109? Do it!! My dd and I watched this course over the last few months as part of her prep for AP Art History. We LOVED it! My dh also watched a few episodes with us, whenever we watched in the evening, and he enjoyed it too. We thought the course was well organized and interesting, and Professor Kloss is so personable.

I just noticed he has an American Art course on sale, too. But I have a couple of unviewed courses on hand already, so I don't want to buy anything right now. And as much as we loved the art course, I'm not sure we want to do another one so soon after dd took the AP exam.

Happy shopping. :)

I was looking through my just-delivered hard catalogue, but right there, on the cover is this link: www.shopgreatcourses.com :D

Silly question. Is there a difference between the above link and http://www.teach12.com which is the link you get when you google Teaching Company.

I have them both open and on the shop great Sources site the Western Civ set is 199.00 and on the teach12 site it's on sale for 219.00. :confused:

Why the 2 sites for the same company? Is it just marketing? Does the Great Courses site historically have better sale prices?

I'm hoping to buy a few courses over the next year but want to figure out what's the best price and shop when it's available.