Menu

Need VBS snack help!!!

I am in charge of the snacks for VBS this year. I had planned on making "Safarie Smoothies" on the first day...which is peach and pineapple smoothies. Well, I tried it out on my children this afternoon...and, only 1 out of my 3 liked it. Sigh...

Does someone have an idea or two that would be crowd pleasers? I am looking for either smoothie recipes or milkshake recipes. I loved pineapple milkshakes as a kid...but, I'm not sure if most children ages 2-12 like pineapple.

Thanks for any suggestiions. By the way...we have a small VBS compared to many churches...only about 30 children.

~Holly

What about strawberry smoothies? Most every child likes strawberries.

Animal crackers

cheese sticks

cream cheese and jelly sandwiches, cut into animal shapes with a cookie cutter

trail mix (can be cheerios, raisins, m&ms, sunflower seeds)

carrot and celery sticks w/dip

apple slices and caramel dip

grapes and pretzel sticks

Strawberry Watermelon Smoothie

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries

1 1/2 cups frozen diced watermelon

1/4 cup cream

1/4 cup plain yogurt

2 tablespoons orange juice

1 tablespoon white sugar (optional)

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:

Blend the strawberries, watermelon, cream, yogurt, orange juice, sugar, and vanilla in a blender until smooth.

I am not sure about smoothies. Most kids like bananas so maybe you can make monkey smoothies because monkeys eat bananas. Here are a few other ideas for snacks though:

animal crackers (of course)

monkey bread

ants on a log (raisins on peanut butter spread on celery)

little debbie zebra cakes

you can research what different safari animals eat and make a yummy trail mix

Strawberry Watermelon Smoothie

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries

1 1/2 cups frozen diced watermelon

1/4 cup cream

1/4 cup plain yogurt

2 tablespoons orange juice

1 tablespoon white sugar (optional)

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:

Blend the strawberries, watermelon, cream, yogurt, orange juice, sugar, and vanilla in a blender until smooth.

That sounds GOOD. **adding "watermelon" and "cream" to my shopping list**

My kids like banana peach.

Please don't do peanut butter/nut containing mixes.

We can't even do VBS this year because of anaphylactic allergies. I wish people thought of these things. I know not all allergies can be accomodated. We had dairy for example and I expect dairy at kid stuff. But I wish there wasn't always life threatening allergens served at kid events. Last year they served nuts and the kids then went straight to work on crafts with shared materials. It's just not safe. Oh, and when he told the workers that he couldn't have trail mix (nuts) they told him they had nut free. They went and picked out the nuts. My husband saw it. Scary. I just decided we can't risk it now that he's anaphylactic.

Edited by sbgrace

Thanks! I am staying away from banana smoothies because bananas make my son sick to his stomach!

I already have animals for the other days along with snacks that go with them. I'm really trying to stick with something cold like a smoothie or shake. I may just make milkshakes.

Thanks so much!

~Holly

Our VBS is this week and they are serving fruit and something crunchy and water each day. Monday was half bananas and a cup, (a plastic cup, not a measuring cup) of fritos. Yesterday was orange sections and pretzels. Today was apple slices and sun chips. Friday is popsicles, I heard.

No nuts of any kind at our VBS.

You could make purple cows. My kids love them. (I don't think they are that great!)

It's really a grape float. Use 2 small scoops of ice cream in a paper cup and have them pour the grape soda over it. You could change the name to a safari animal.

I'm in charge of the snack station at our VBS. The church gave me a folder with the food list and instrucions on how to have the children make the snack which is supposed to be a lesson every day. (We're doing a pirate theme) I just opened the folder yesterday so I haven't really read the whole thing-

Day 3 Paul survives a bite from a poisonous snake Acts 28:1-10

snack: Blue jello, coolwhip, a vanilla wafer (to make a rock?) and

a gummy worm on top--

We make the snack, we read the scripture we talk about God and his miracles.

If you want more PM me..

Lara

My kids like banana peach.

Please don't do peanut butter/nut containing mixes.

We can't even do VBS this year because of anaphylactic allergies. I wish people thought of these things. I know not all allergies can be accomodated. We had dairy for example and I expect dairy at kid stuff. But I wish there wasn't always life threatening allergens served at kid events. Last year they served nuts and the kids then went straight to work on crafts with shared materials. It's just not safe. Oh, and when he told the workers that he couldn't have trail mix (nuts) they told him they had nut free. They went and picked out the nuts. My husband saw it. Scary. I just decided we can't risk it now that he's anaphylactic.

Is it possible for you to volunteer at VBS in the food area?

I have served in this area for the past two summers. This way, I can have input into the food choices (they no longer serve nuts) and I can double check all packaging. My dd is tree nut allergic, and this week we also have boys and girls with milk and egg allergy, plus 2 diabetics. I am so thankful I can be there to oversee my dd's food and even be helpful in making sure the other children get the correct snacks. Otherwise, my dd would be in the same position as your child...not attending.

I wish your child could visit our VBS. :grouphug:

Our VBS snacks are much simpler than shakes! We have a lot of kids to feed but the way we provide the snacks to the kids is very organized.

From memory, they serve some kind of lemonade or punch for drink and then offer cheese and crackers and fruit, like grapes, for one day. Then on other days, a drink, popcorn or pretzels and a fruit like cut apple slices. On another day they will have drink and cheese in tortillas plus a fruit. The kids love snack time because for each day of the week, it's different.

We serve a lot of kids so making smoothies would take too long! :001_smile:

Have fun,

Pam

I hate to put a damper on the strawberry smoothie ideas, but strawberries are also a common allergen. My son is allergic to strawberries. So, if you do serve smoothies with strawberries in them, perhaps survey the 30 kids to make sure no one is allergic.

LOL, my dd is allergic to bananas and peaches (and blueberries, and orange peel), so every smoothie she has is strawberry!

Seems like everyone is allergic to something these days. :001_smile:

I'm in charge of the snack station at our VBS. The church gave me a folder with the food list and instrucions on how to have the children make the snack which is supposed to be a lesson every day. (We're doing a pirate theme) I just opened the folder yesterday so I haven't really read the whole thing-

a gummy worm on top--

If you want more PM me..

Lara

Well, the vanilla wafer is probably safe. I would not want my children eating the rest of it. How about fruit?

a gummy worm on top--

If you want more PM me..

Lara

Our church does this, too. Instead of a snack, we have a supper every night, and the kids have this as a dessert table. We have other (tastier) desserts for the parents! Since our VBS is at night, we just skip the snack part.