Menu

Spy Car - history question

Hi Spy Car

You recommended The Drama of American History in a recent thread. I did a google search but did not find it. Do you know of a website I can look it up on or the authors or publishers name so I can do a search for it ?

I have found that some of the books I read to my older children when they were very young had the problem with bigotry in them that you mentioned. This seem s to be the case with some of the books that are reprints of old classics.

Not SpyCar, but if you search amazon.com many of the titles in the series will pop up (Pilgrims and Puritans, Clash of Cultures, Creating the Constitution). If you filter your search to only include children's books, you will see them more easily. You can also search by the authors Christopher Collier and James Lincoln Collier. HTH!

Thank you ladies for the help. Since people are saying they like these books better than the Hakim books I am curious about them now. Maybe I can check some out through the public library to get a good look at them. But I wonder if there is a teacher's guide. Sonlight Curriculum has created their own teacher's guide to use with the Hakim books.

Thank you ladies for the help. Since people are saying they like these books better than the Hakim books I am curious about them now. Maybe I can check some out through the public library to get a good look at them. But I wonder if there is a teacher's guide. Sonlight Curriculum has created their own teacher's guide to use with the Hakim books.

I will search for Moira's list.

Here we go. It is very difficult to figure out all the books in this series (and I don't know how she did it) but I feel a debt of gratitude to Moira for putting together this list:

Here's a list of the titles in the series:

• Clash of Cultures: Prehistory to 1638, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • The Paradox of Jamestown, 1585 to 1700, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • The French and Indian War, 1660 to 1763, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • The American Revolution, 1763 to 1783, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Pilgrims and Puritans, 1620 to 1676, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Creating the Constitution, 1787, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Building a New Nation, 1789 to 1803, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Andrew Jackson's America, 1821 to 1850, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Hispanic America, Texas, and the Mexican War, 1835 to 1850, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • The Jeffersonian Republicans, 1800 to 1820, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • The Civil War, 1860 to 1866, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Slavery and the Coming of the Civil War, 1831 to 1861, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • Reconstruction and the Rise of Jim Crow, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 1998.
  • The Rise of Industry: 1860 to 1900, Marshall Cavendish (New York, NY), 1999.
  • A Century of Immigration: 1820 to 1924, Marshall Cavendish/Benchmark Books (Tarrytown, NY), 1999.
  • Indians, Cowboys, and Farmers, 1865 to 1910, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2000.
  • The United States Enters the World Stage: From Alaska through World War I, 1867 to 1919, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2000.
  • Progressivism, the Great Depression, and the New Deal, 1901 to 1941, Benchmark/Cavendish (Tarrytown, NY), 2000.
  • The Rise of the Cities, Cavendish/Benchmark (Tarrytown, NY), 2000.
  • United States in World War II, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2001.
  • The Changing Face of American Society, 1945 to 2000, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2001.
  • The United States in the Cold War, Benchmark/Cavendish (Tarrytown, NY), 2002.
  • The Middle Road: American Politics, 1945 to 2000, Benchmark Books (New York, NY), 2002.

I checked a few of these out from the library after Spycar recommended them in a a previous thread. I must say, they are very thorough! I love how they give so much background- instead of focusing on the event, they give information on MANY circumstances that lead up to said event. I will definitely be adding these to my personal collection.

Here we go. It is very difficult to figure out all the books in this series (and I don't know how she did it) but I feel a debt of gratitude to Moira for putting together this list:

These books have been on my list for a while now. I have not been able to figure out, though, just what to get. THIS is what I needed. Thanks, Bill!

These books have been on my list for a while now. I have not been able to figure out, though, just what to get. THIS is what I needed. Thanks, Bill!

Thank Moira. I was as perplexed as everyone else in trying to piece together all the titles.

Bill

Thank Moira. I was as perplexed as everyone else in trying to piece together all the titles.
I got the list from another source and corrected the errors as I added the titles to my wishlist. :)

Do you have them all? I'm missing The Rise of Industry.

You are ahead of me, Moira. I need:

The Rise of Industry

Indians, cowboys, and Farmers, 1865-1910

Progressivism, the Great Depression and the New Deal

United States in World War II

The United States in the Cold War.

I don't know if I will ever get The Rise of Industry. What is this with $95-$138 when every other book in the series is under $5?

Am I the only one here that didn't realize that these are the same authors as My Brother Sam is Dead? No wonder the writing surpasses another author who shall remain nameless.

Bill, I think you should write a History curriculum. Something geared toward elementary aged students. I'm so frustrated with trying to find something to use for American History that I won't have to tweak to death to present a reasonabley unbiased view.

Oh, and if you could have it done by this fall, that would be great. :lol:

I will search for Moira's list.

Hey Bill...What do you think of Genevieve Fosters books. I have the whole set...it is a narrative of world hx, rather than only American, great for logic stage...at least for years 1-3. I can't for the life of me remember whether there was derogatory content...last time I read these i had preggo brain..LOL.

I do remember these were great for outlining, timelining and a good spine....

Have you seen these?

Faithe

Hey Bill...What do you think of Genevieve Fosters books. I have the whole set...it is a narrative of world hx, rather than only American, great for logic stage...at least for years 1-3. I can't for the life of me remember whether there was derogatory content...last time I read these i had preggo brain..LOL.

Have you seen these?

Faithe

Thanks for reminding me about Foster's books. We have the Caesar, Washington, and Columbus volumes. My middle son loved them. And I wasn't preggo but don't remember anything that was derogatory either.

Have you seen these?

Faithe

I've only one I have read is Augustus Caesar's World and I really enjoyed it.

I have to laugh at myself because I think my son was a year old (or less) when I "pre-read" it a possible book to use in his future education :lol:

I should read the others?

Bill

I have to laugh at myself because I think my son was a year old (or less) when I "pre-read" it a possible book to use in his future education :lol:

Bill

I haven't read any of Foster's books, but you may want to check out the reviews of 'The World of Columbus and Sons' on Amazon. ;)

Bill

I remember my older kids really loved these books....and they seemed even handed...at least what I remember. I had that moment of OH NO...what did I let them read???? :D LOL. My older ones also really liked Albert Marrin books ...but can't remember those either.

My last 2 babies really knocked my brain cells out.

I pre-read tons of books years in advance...and then when it comes time for them, I can't remember which ones were good, or which ones I liked best. i do, however, usually remember the ones I hated.

Not sure how that works.

I am going to read through the Foster books over the summer and probably use them with my logic stage dd this coming year. I'll try to remember to post a review.

Faithe

I found this title through the LA County Library:

Building a new nation : the Federalist era, 1789-1801. Collier, Christopher.

I don't think it's included on the list. (The publisher is the same, so I assume it's from the series.)

I found this title through the LA County Library:

Building a new nation : the Federalist era, 1789-1801. Collier, Christopher.

I don't think it's included on the list. (The publisher is the same, so I assume it's from the series.)

I read this one (LA County Library copy) and I also thought it was missing from the list, but it is there in a shortened version of the title, and the date is off [Moira?]

Building a New Nation, 1789 to 1803

Bill

Please read my post about "The World of Columbus and Sons" on the spin-off thread "most evil history books." It is largely a justification for why the slave trade wasn't bad. On the other hand, there are fabulous books (very difficult for younger children) which treat this topic accurately.

Julie

Please read my post about "The World of Columbus and Sons" on the spin-off thread "most evil history books." It is largely a justification for why the slave trade wasn't bad. On the other hand, there are fabulous books (very difficult for younger children) which treat this topic accurately.

Julie

I just saw your post. *Sigh*

I didn't know, when I started thinking I'd like to take an active role in my son's future education, that things were going to prove to be so complicated.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

There are groups and websites with "red flag" lists to indicate material that may be objectionable to members. Has anyone thought of starting a WTM "red flag" list? Not necessarily one that would condemn a certain book or program, but which would indicate "this is something you might want to pre-read because of x." I would love a heads-up on materials.

Bill? Do you feel like an organizer here?

Perhaps a continuing thread with text + concern? That's what I thought the "Evil Books" thread was setting out to be.

It would work if everybody refrained from being annoyed that a favorite item raised a concern for someone else.

Or set it up as a social group: Red Flags :)

Let me just say, I would LOVE LOVE, did I mention LOVE a thread where folks posted books that had objectionable content and why....not to pass judgement on those that choose to use them, but so that I (who is not very well-informed on history matters) can know to have a heads up to pre-read before purchasing or handing it over to DC.

I'm putting together a list of Early American History books for Elementary Grades, focusing on those which are as impartial or anti-bias as possible.

I have many books requested through ILL, and I have a librarian at a Children's Book Cooperative who is going to e-mail me a book list which may be helpful.

I will go through them all in the next couple weeks (months?) and compile a list which we will use in the fall. If anyone wants to add to the list, or view it, I'm happy to share.

I'd still like it if someone wanted to put on a private blog or website something like a Red Flag List of Classic Children's Literature (for instance). As an example, Moira mentioned that Peter Pan has some stereotypes of American Indians. That's something a parent might like to know; and it's not the same as saying "Peter Pan is evil! Don't read it!" Ten years ago, I would have liked to know that I might want to pre-read the original versions of Mary Poppins, Dr. Doolittle, or Raggedy Ann, and why.

And I suppose I thought a big forum like this would be a reasonable place to assemble such a list. Stupid me.

Did I miss something? DId someone think it was a bad idea? I think it's a great idea. I recall my shock when listening to Dr. Doolittle (??? man who talks to animals and goes to a faraway place to save someone?) and heard the racial slurs that were coming from the animals. And while I agree that everyone won't find the same books offensive, it gives us a heads up to pre-read and decide for ourselves.

Let me just say, I would LOVE LOVE, did I mention LOVE a thread where folks posted books that had objectionable content and why....not to pass judgement on those that choose to use them, but so that I (who is not very well-informed on history matters) can know to have a heads up to pre-read before purchasing or handing it over to DC.
:iagree:A social group or yahoo group could work well....

Perhaps a continuing thread with text + concern? That's what I thought the "Evil Books" thread was setting out to be.

It would work if everybody refrained from being annoyed that a favorite item raised a concern for someone else.

Because then the moderator could get rid of those who are annoyed at their favorites being attacked.

I'd still like it if someone wanted to put on a private blog or website something like a Red Flag List of Classic Children's Literature (for instance). As an example, Moira mentioned that Peter Pan has some stereotypes of American Indians. That's something a parent might like to know; and it's not the same as saying "Peter Pan is evil! Don't read it!" Ten years ago, I would have liked to know that I might want to pre-read the original versions of Mary Poppins, Dr. Doolittle, or Raggedy Ann, and why.

And I suppose I thought a big forum like this would be a reasonable place to assemble such a list. Stupid me.

That is strange, Sharon. I missed the whole thing, but I think it is a great idea. I, for one, am not bothered by mythology or Young Earth ideas, but I don't mind at all if someone wants to red flag a book for those. Everyone has their own conscience to follow.

Well it apparently just got me reported to the moderator, and scolded for not having a thicker skin.

The latter point may be right.

I think I recall SWB saying lots of stuff gets reported to the mods. The fact that they took action and removed the thread indicates they (tptb) agree such a list is not profitable to this site.

Sounds like you have enough of an interest to start a yahoo group, though.

:) Regards,