Menu

TELL me I'm reading this wrong!

asta

Freshman candidates can apply with the Universal College Application or Common Application. Both the Universal College Application and Common Application require a Johns Hopkins Supplement. Please note: We are no longer accepting applications for the freshman Class of 2014 or for fall 2010 transfer students.
http://apply.jhu.edu/apply/application.html

WHAT ON EARTH????

a

I think it is bad grammar.

I think they are saying that they are not accepting applications for students who would be freshman and be in the (graduating) Class of 2014 -- meaning they would be starting college in fall 2010. But upon first reading I thought they meant that people are pre-applying for college and they are not accepting applications for those who would be freshman in 2014.

:iagree: They aren't taking applications for this fall any more. Not sure what's confusing about that.

I don't see what is confusing. I understood this as you can't apply to the fall 2010 admissions anymore. What else is it supposed to mean?:glare:

Ok guys, work with the literal aspie for a moment here.

When I read it, it said "we are no longer accepting applications for people who want to apply for our school as freshmen in 2014".

Got it?

Welcome to the world of thinking different. It's like a whole other language.

a

Okay, now I understand. But just learn that this is a common way of indicating what class they are in. If your child is graduating hs in 2011, they will be in the college class of 2015. :)

I'll add it to my list.

a

Interesting point of confusion! Welcome to the world of college lingo. :D Colleges refer to each year's group of students by the year they'll graduate from the college. My ds is entering college this fall, and so is part of the Class of 2014. Since all the college stuff this past year--from applications to acceptance letters to all the enrollment correspondence--has referred to Class of 2014, incoming class of 2014, Class of 2014 freshmen, etc, etc, JHU's statement made perfect sense to me, and it took me awhile to figure out what the confusion might be. I'm sure JHU didn't think a thing about it.

But if you have younger kids and this concept isn't on your radar screen yet (I haven't even figured out my dd's college graduating class yet! :tongue_smilie:) it could definitely raise eyebrows!

http://apply.jhu.edu/apply/application.html

WHAT ON EARTH????

a

OK, I'm not as literal as Asta :) so I'd have made the leap, but better grammar and usage would have dictated the following:

"We are no longer accepting applications for freshmen in the Class of 2014," or something similar yet simple; I can think of about five things that would have been better than what they wrote.

I don't *think* I'm getting grumpier in my old age, but I often feel that way when I notice so many preposition usage errors nowadays! Accckkk!

OK, I'm not as literal as Asta :) so I'd have made the leap, but better grammar and usage would have dictated the following:

"We are no longer accepting applications for freshmen in the Class of 2014," or something similar yet simple; I can think of about five things that would have been better than what they wrote.

I agree, the grammar in the original is poor. This rewrite is clearer. Merry :-)

Ok guys, work with the literal aspie for a moment here.

When I read it, it said "we are no longer accepting applications for people who want to apply for our school as freshmen in 2014".

Got it?

Welcome to the world of thinking different. It's like a whole other language.

a

I actually read it with both meanings in mind, so I was uncertain if they were saying "No more applications for people who would graduate in 2014" or "No more applications for people who would start in 2014".

I guess with all the people applying for exclusive private kindergarten for their as yet unborn babies it didn't seem impossible to me that someone would apply for an exclusive college for their child just starting high school.

My first tendency is also to read things literally, though.