Menu

Gluten-free Dairy-free high protein breakfasts?

J was GFCFSF for a LONG time-we are still GFSF so I do have some ideas for you :)

One quick question though-can you do oats? There *are* GF oats yet J is able to eat "regular" oats and not suffer any celiac type side effects per endoscope.

Nut Butters-put them on anything and everything :tongue_smilie:

J usually eats either oatmeal with nut butters or :eek: dry cereal and fruit. I have a *very* hard time getting eggs in him most days, he just does not like them.

Find a substitute for butter, and melt 1/4 cup of it in a cast-iron skillet or other cooking dish that can go in the oven.

In a mixing bowl, combine: 1/2 cup gluten-free flour mix of your choice (or rice flour would likely be good for this), 1/2 tsp xanthan gum, 1/2 tsp baking powder, a pinch of salt, four eggs, and half a cup of rice milk or other milk substitute. If you like, throw in a little vanilla flavoring and sugar, but it's not necessary. Mix well.

One the oil is heated in the skillet, add the batter to the skillet and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve with powdered sugar, or maple syrup, or jam, or berries.

There are many variations on this - this is more or less a gf/df Dutch baby. It doesn't puff up very high, but it's yummy.

I know what I am making J for breakfast in the morning :D

Find a substitute for butter, and melt 1/4 cup of it in a cast-iron skillet or other cooking dish that can go in the oven.

In a mixing bowl, combine: 1/2 cup gluten-free flour mix of your choice (or rice flour would likely be good for this), 1/2 tsp xanthan gum, 1/2 tsp baking powder, a pinch of salt, four eggs, and half a cup of rice milk or other milk substitute. If you like, throw in a little vanilla flavoring and sugar, but it's not necessary. Mix well.

One the oil is heated in the skillet, add the batter to the skillet and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve with powdered sugar, or maple syrup, or jam, or berries.

There are many variations on this - this is more or less a gf/df Dutch baby. It doesn't puff up very high, but it's yummy.

I really like the Archer Farms Chicken Apple sausages with breakfast. I make spinach and eggs with some salsa and serve with chicken apple sausages. I just recently added wheat to the growing list of things that I can't eat so I've been changing my breakfast. The greens in the eggs make them fill me up better than just yucky eggs, and I mix an egg with egg white to reduce the fat. I cook it in olive oil, and everything is better with salsa. But I get those sausages at Target. I don't know who else carries them - it is the only chicken I can eat, and it is GF and corn and soy free too.

I really like the Archer Farms Chicken Apple sausages with breakfast. I make spinach and eggs with some salsa and serve with chicken apple sausages. I just recently added wheat to the growing list of things that I can't eat so I've been changing my breakfast. The greens in the eggs make them fill me up better than just yucky eggs, and I mix an egg with egg white to reduce the fat. I cook it in olive oil, and everything is better with salsa. But I get those sausages at Target. I don't know who else carries them - it is the only chicken I can eat, and it is GF and corn and soy free too.

Ooh, good thinking. Archer Farms is Target's proprietary brand, but we buy chicken apple sausages that we LOVE at Costco--I can't think of the name, but they carry two different brands around here, and they're both pretty good.

J was GFCFSF for a LONG time-we are still GFSF so I do have some ideas for you :)

One quick question though-can you do oats? There *are* GF oats yet J is able to eat "regular" oats and not suffer any celiac type side effects per endoscope.

Nut Butters-put them on anything and everything :tongue_smilie:

J usually eats either oatmeal with nut butters or :eek: dry cereal and fruit. I have a *very* hard time getting eggs in him most days, he just does not like them.

I don't know about oats. I think I will *not* use them to start and then maybe try them later. Ds did not eat oats when he was gluten-free in the past.

Mine love eggs, so that is not an issue. Dairy free is going to be very, very hard as everything they LOVE is dairy!

Personally I love a Mexican breakfast. My family is vegan, so you could replace meat in there. :)

I make tofu scrambler, but I think you eat eggs?

sausage (gimme lean)

black beans

slices of avocado

salsa

corn tortillas

if I'm lucky, left over chilaquiles

kind of like this:

http://www.bunrab.com/dailyfeed/dailyfeed_images_jan-07/df07_01-13_chilaquiles.jpg

fruit and tea

Edited by helena

I have come up with two:

Eggs and grits (no butter)

Gluten-free cereal, soy millk, add nuts and fruit

Any other ideas? Any links to great meal planning sites?

Are you sure the soy milk is okay? The protein is similar to that of milk, and many people develop a sensitivity to it, too, when it is substituted for dairy. You could also use rice milk, potato milk (Vance's DariFree), or almond milk. Just plain water is actually okay, if the cereal is flavorful.

Try making peanut butter/banana pancakes using natural pb, mashed bananas, eggs, and a little baking soda - no flours at all. I don't have the recipe handy, but you may find it if you google SCD recipes.

Leftovers.

Millet flour or oat flour pancakes with sunbutter. (Or, real peanut butter, but sunbutter is better for the allergy prone.)

Potatoes stir fried with eggs.

Breakfast burritos made with olive oil, eggs, bacon or sausage, and salsa.

Muslix with rice milk.

CADA

Coconut, Apple, Dates, Almonds

Equal amounts of each (I use a small handful of each and one apple)

I also soak the almonds and dates overnight, but you don't have to.

Blend together in blender. Yummy living porridge. I need protein an healthy fat for breakfast and this keeps me going well.

Many variations possible- leave out coconut; use different fruit- I often use blueberries and/or pears; use other dried fruit instead of dates; and use any variety of seeds/nuts (pepitas, sunflower seeds, brazils, macadamias, also linseeds are good but dont soak them first).

Are you sure the soy milk is okay? The protein is similar to that of milk, and many people develop a sensitivity to it, too, when it is substituted for dairy. You could also use rice milk, potato milk (Vance's DariFree), or almond milk. Just plain water is actually okay, if the cereal is flavorful.

Try making peanut butter/banana pancakes using natural pb, mashed bananas, eggs, and a little baking soda - no flours at all. I don't have the recipe handy, but you may find it if you google SCD recipes.

Leftovers.

No idea if soy milk is okay - just assumed it would be. In that case, we'll sub rice milk. Plain water would not be okay - it has to be white (or close to it) or the dc will rebel!:lol: I wasn't planning on using soy much at all anyway.

DS eats nitrite-, dairy- and gluten-free sausage for breakfast, along with fruit, or gfcf bread and Earth Balance "butter" or eggs.

DH made gfcf buckwheat pancakes and eggs for breakfast yesterday.