Menu

Real food takes time - does anyone feel they have their meal plan together?

I don't just mean Mon fish, Tues meat type meal plan.

I mean the whole deal...

Shopping process (one store or many, Sam's or not). The pantry storage stuff (use what's in it or build up a stock). The actual meal plan itself being healthy and enjoyable (make your own and continue to change it, or purchase one). The regularity of the soux chef type prep :) (take chicken out of freezer in am, grind flour for baking on Tues).

I would love to actually hear from someone who has a larger family (dh works from home and I have two teens, and two youngers) and who is pleased with their procedure for feeding their family.

I have tried the plans, Saving Dinner and an emealz sample...only to find we've wasted food by cooking something we don't like or it didn't work because I elilminated one of the meals and that really negates the need for the plan, kwim?

I have tried making my own only to be caught unprepared on like a Wednesday night because I didn't soak the beans or something like that. The biggest problem here though is that I get tired and don't do it or lack creativity and the kids moan, spaghetti again, lol.

Getting to the point :)

I would love to hear from a successful mom who is feeding her kids healthy meals, not burning herself out running to 15 different stores, operating under a budget, and able to have people over for dinner (this is a reality in our family and when I'm unprepared, I don't do it).

I'm not asking for perfection, though I'm asking for alot in this post...I just need some spurring on I think by someone who is passionate about feeding her family regularly and with health and budget in mind.

An aside: I have started shopping at our Super Wal Mart lately. I cannot believe how much junk!!!! is in our cabinets. Pop Tarts, sugary cereal, chips, even Toaster Strudel. When I shopped at Sams and Food Lion, I bypassed those sections and did really well with the fresh fruit type stuff because it was so expensive at Sams in bulk, we didn't have much left over for that stuff.

I think the mindset when I'm at Walmart is it's only $1.79 so let's grab it...for pop tart type stuff.

Anyway, I've got issues and need to get our budget and meals back on track. Any thoughts welcome :) I can't believe after 16 years of being at home, I'm so stinky at this~~~you'd think I'd have a plan at least by now. I'm either all homemade and don't leave the kitchen, or eating out and wasting all dh's money, kwim?

Here are some similar posts for future reference:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166304&highlight=making+meal+plan

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165248&highlight=making+meal+plan

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177571&highlight=meal+plan

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167427&highlight=meal+plan

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166051&highlight=meal+plan

that's enough for now ;)

Edited by momee

Ok, I'm kind of in the middle of the number of kids requirement..;) We do eat a lot. :001_smile:

Here's what I do though:

I keep the staples on hand at all times.

Chicken breasts, quick cooking cuts of meat, etc.

I also keep several different forms of pasta, rice, barley, etc. Even the slower cooking varieties usually cook in 30 minutes or less.

I learned how to make basic sauces. I can whip out a cream based or tomato based sauce in 10 minutes or so.

I keep frozen veggies on hand. Things like peas, mixed veggies, broccoli, etc. I buy them in bulk, and there's no waste because I can take out only what I need.

I usually have chicken stock and various canned tomatoes on hand as well. (I know canned tomatoes are a no-no on this board right now, but honestly I can't find an affordable substitute)

I belong to a CSA and keep fresh fruits and veggies on hand.

I have found that if I try to plan more than 2 weeks ahead I end up having more wasted food. I mostly try to keep the basics for many meals on hand, and use them as the need arises.

Our weekly meals usually look like this:

Rice with grilled chicken and green beans. (30 minutes)

Salad with grilled chicken on top. (10-15 minutes, if the chicken has been grilled ahead of time)

Soup (varies greatly here according to left overs) (30 minutes-all day crockpot depending on the recipe)

Pasta dish with either ground turkey, or diced chicken. Add frozen or fresh veggies. I keep it very simple...a sauce, pasta, meat, veggie.(30 minutes)

Tacos/fajitas/nachos. Again, simply cook desired meat with mexican style seasonings. I serve with onions, peppers, black beans, frozen corn, diced tomatoes, tortillas or chips.

If I've hit meat on sale we'll also throw in grilled steak, slow cooked ribs, etc. Potatoes, and salads for sides.

The biggest variety comes from the seasonings, and re-arranging of ingredients. You can make rice and chicken a mexican dish, an italian dish, or just a plain jane dish...simply by seasonings and a few changed veggie choices.

I only buy meat when it's on sale. I keep a large extra freezer, and it's so nice to have a stock built up.

Edited by Apryl H

Thanks Apryl,

it's very similar to what we're already doing...

Rice with grilled chicken and green beans.

Salad with grilled chicken on top.

Soup

a sauce, pasta, meat, veggie

Tacos/fajitas/nachos with onions, peppers, black beans, frozen corn, diced tomatoes, tortillas or chips.

meat on sale (steak) Potatoes, and salads for sides.

I'm going to take that and plan it out prep wise and see how it goes.

I look forward to seeing what others have to say and thank you very much for the time taken to post what you're doing. It is a help, especially this moment when I need to get to the store :)

I work outside the home and often use a fresh meal service. Its more expensive than grocery store bought, but considerably less expensive than restaurants. We also waste a lot less food. Before the meal service, I would be so exhausted from work etc. that meal planning, cooking etc. was TORTURE and I ended up taking us out. I suppose the fact that I don't liike to cook is not helpful.

Well, I used Saving Dinner as my starting point. :)

I first purchased one of the Freezer Meal kits and prepared everything as written. I told the kids they must try 3 bites and if they didn't care for it, they could fix a sandwich. I made notes for what they did or didn't like (for example, one was good but had too many onions so I placed a sticky note on that recipe to cut back on the onions).

I then ordered one of the 1 year subscriptions and chose only the recipes that I knew my family would like and turned those into freezer meals.

Taking what I learned from my first Freezer Meal kit, I have been creating my own with our favorites and stocking my freezer. Our family hunts, so I have several kits with goose, venison, and wild turkey.

When pork loin goes on sale, I usually buy 2 and divide it into a few roasts (spicy cajun and rosemary garlic - both from Saving Dinner), and various porkchops (Honey BBQ, Honey Apple, Spicy Citrus) with enough meat for our family of 4.

I do the same when chicken breasts, ground beef, and steak are on sale.

You don't have to follow the Saving Dinner recipes to make your meal planning easier. Take what you learned and adapt it to *your* favorite recipes. :)

Have time to respond to part of this. . . .

For me, I think the keys are that I have been cooking for many years -- (Yesterday was our 26th wedding anniversary.) --, that I truly enjoy cooking, love to watch "happy eaters" asking for more, . . . Years of reading cookbooks for fun, as well as always trying new techniques and dishes, resulted in an active "cooking imagination".

Accordingly, I do not make meal plans, as do many women. If I did not have such vicious ADHD, I'm sure that I would attempt organized meals, because meal plans obviously are a good thing ! Instead, then, I rely on the skills and creativity which have "grown" over the years, and cook by instinct. So long as our pantry and refrigerator -- (We have only a very small freezer.) -- are well-stocked with basic foods and produce, I need only look at our on-hand supplies and go immediately to work.

There is some degree of built-in planning, because unless we are in an extended fasting period, which requires that every day be fully vegan, I have to calculate for every Wednesday and Friday requiring vegan-only meals for everyone in the family. So if there are any leftovers on Tuesday evening, they need to be "still good" for Thursday.

Leftovers, too, are fundamental. Anything leftover becomes a component for whatever I'm going to invent next.

I shop at four stores only, but never all four of those in the same week because some things purchased at one will carry-over into later weeks. I know which stores are best for what. One of those four is, I admit, the "backbone" store for our grocery purchases involving meat, poultry, dairy, and produce.

Have to run for now. . . .

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but here is what I do.

I get groceries on Sunday afternoon so on Saturday or before I go on Sunday I make the weekly menu. I meal plan for breakfast and dinner. I don't plan lunch, just have the usual stuff (pbj, nitrate-free lunch meat, crackers, fruit, veggies, yogurt, etc.) on-hand. This week we had:

Monday: Grilled Chicken, corn on the cob (I had a frozen fruit salad planned but then realized my pan for that is packed away...we'll be moving in a week or two or three...)

Tuesday: Tortellini Salad

Wednesday: Sub Sandwiches, chips, fresh fruit

Thursday: Tomatoes/Rice (tomatoes, whole grain rice, sour cream, salsa), strawberries

Friday: Taco Salad

Breakfasts this week were: Toast/yogurt, cereal, baked french toast, and muffins (from scratch, using up old bananas)

I make my menu and then make my shopping list off of that. The menu is posted on the fridge. I made a little chart in Excel and put it in a page protector. That way I can write on it in wipe-off marker each Sunday. It also eliminates answering, "What are we having for dinner????" about 35 times a day.

I typically shop at Aldi, Target, and WalMart. They are all within a mile of each other. On my shopping list I just note what I'm buying at which store (i.e. the animal crackers my son likes are only sold at WalMart).

You will not find many things that are prepackaged in my kitchen. If I do buy it prepackaged (things like crackers, bread....someday I'll get to the point where these things are from-scratch), I am VERY picky. We have eliminated food colorings, HFCS, and preservatives from our diet. I make as much as I can from scratch and use fresh foods.

My budget is $300 for two weeks. That includes groceries, pet food (two cats and one dog), and house needs (toilet paper, etc).

With the menu planned and posted, I can look ahead to see what I'll be preparing. If something needs to come out of the freezer for the next day, I get it out. If I need to prepare something ahead of time, I do. If I need to get up earlier to do more breakfast prep, I do.

For me, I think the keys are that I have been cooking for many years -- (Yesterday was our 26th wedding anniversary.) --, that I truly enjoy cooking, love to watch "happy eaters" asking for more, . . . Years of reading cookbooks for fun, as well as always trying new techniques and dishes, resulted in an active "cooking imagination".

. . . .

I agree wholeheartedly with this. It really does take a lot of time, trial and error and mental notes of who likes what (or write it down if that's more your style). I cook for several different diets and preferences, 3 of whom are not members of my immediate family. Things I need to consider range from diabetes, no teeth, picky eaters, gastrointestinal issues, behavioral reactions, and then I get to look at what everyone might like within the range of what I deem healthy :001_huh:. Each of the 6-8 plates I serve for dinner are different from one another in some aspect, but the meal is basically the same for everyone.

I suggest possibly making a list of things everyone likes (or will at least eat) and breaking it down into sub headings like Grains/Pasta, Vegetables, Fruits, Meats, Sauces, etc. Who likes garlic? Who hates onions? And so on. Then take that list and go from there. Allrecipes has an ingredient feature and has been quite helpful to me. You can get your own recipe box going of potential meals. Then have your family look it over and take a vote for what you will try. I tried doing it all on my own for years, and goodness, that's a thankless job! It was much better when everyone had the chance to vote and we now have probably a decent month's worth of regular recipes to choose from, found from several different sources.

As for the shopping/planning aspect, once you've got your recipes down, pick the 7 you will have for the week, make the list and go shopping. If the menu calls for beans (and ours often does), I make sure I cook 1-2# beans of each variety that we are planning to have right away and freeze them; I do the same with refried beans and anything else I can easily cook ahead of time. I love the crock pot for these kinds of things because I don't have to do anything!

Edited by LauraGB

We operate on a tight budget and try to eat healthily, although there's no way we can afford "organic" labels in the store.

I've worked up a price book (a la Frugal Zealot in Tightwad Gazette for Aldi, Sam's Club, and two typical grocery stores in our area. It serves two purposes:

1) I'm fairly aware of the prices I'm willing to pay for the stuff I buy frequently. This means that it doesn't matter if 80/20 ground beef is on sale for $2.59/# somewhere - I know I can get it for $2.48/# at Sam's Club. It helps me not be sucked in by "sales" that really aren't that cheap.

2) Once a month, I stock up the pantry. I do this by going through my price book and noting what I need to buy. I then have a list for each store - and sticking to your list is common sense when you're shopping on the budget - and the opportunity to update the price for that item at that store. (I take notes on any prices changes I encounter.) I shop for fruits/veggies and other stuff that we need a bit more frequently once a week, usually just at Aldi.

About the pantry: the Frugal Zealot (I can't spell her real last name, so I just call her by her nickname) suggests the idea of just having a set list of items in your pantry because it makes everything cheaper and simpler. Then you pick your recipes by what you have in your pantry rather than buying your ingredients by what you need for your recipes. That principle is pretty important in her system. On the one hand, it keeps you from having half a jar of capers in your fridge for a year before you finally decide you'll never use them again and throw them out (meaning several dollars in the trash) while on the other, it means that you learn to substitute. A lot. Like broth for wine, soured milk for buttermilk, etc. The more you learn to tweak what you have on hand, the less you'll be trapped by not having all the ingredients you need for x recipe.

I do freezer meals and try to choose my recipes carefully. They don't have to be things that everyone adores since all the kids (to date) are pretty easy at the table, but they do need to have as many components in them (protein/veggie/starch) as possible to be worth freezing. And (the hard part about them for me) they have to use our usual ingredients so that they don't cost more than our usual beans/rice or pasta/bit of meat occasionally. One freezer item that is handy is pre-cooked beans. Then all I need to do is defrost them and and they're ready to go. (BTW, we've had very good luck with freezing bean recipes. They seem to actually taste better with all the extra time and reheating to settle the flavors together.) All this means that I haven't gotten freezer meal recipes from anywhere - I just use our own.

About recipes. We have several (read about 6 or so) cookbooks from which we get recipes. Every once in awhile, one of us (dh is a wonderful cook) will go through and try to find some more possibilities. But we keep a list of recipes that work well with our pantry stock (including ones that require substitutions but turn out well anyway) that we can plug into our weekly meal planning.

Then, once a week, we plan the menu. Breakfast is the same each week, but lunch and dinner change nicely. The menu is on the fridge where we can check it after breakfast to see what prep we need to do in order to make it work that day. When we plan it, we look ahead to see where special arrangements will be needed (fast freezer meals, etc.) and try to make allowances. I often end up prepping something for the lunch while working dd6 through her spelling or something.

Does this mean that we never have extras? (Like sugary stuff, etc.) Nope. It means that I just get inventive. I made a promise to dh during my pregnancy with dd3 that I wouldn't ever again just sit down and eat chocolate chips out of the package. So, when I feel the irrepressible urge to eat chocolate chips, I just have to toast some pecans, and mix them both together with raisins and craisins. Voila! Trail Mix!:D

HTH!

Mama Anna

Edited by Mama Anna

You know, everyone has really good ideas -- especially for organization! But I have to say it makes me a bit discouraged not to have read anything about anyone getting help from husbands and kids. Feeding a family when you cook most things from scratch is a HUGE job, and the people on these boards are already homeschooling children, often doing work from home or outside the home part-time, doing housework, researching curricula...

In my house it is this way; I do all the cleaning and cooking except for the Sunday morning pancakes my husband makes. And the funny thing is that he used to cook and share these kinds of jobs, UNTIL I quit my job to homeschool, and then everyone just began assuming that since I was home anyway I had nothing else to do and it fell within my purview.

I am hesitant to post this, because I don't want to upset women who love to cook and/or feel that every aspect of domestic life is something they truly believe is their calling. That's wonderful, and your families are lucky to have you. But I feel enormous sympathy for others (in which category I include myself) who would like to see a lot more men and children in the kitchen, and less of the burden on the mother.

I wanted fresh and good so I bought three new cookbooks

Gourmet Today , How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, and Essential Vegetarian

The vegetarian cookbooks have great breakfasts along with other vegetarian meals. For us vegetarian meals are a part of a healthier lifestyle.

The Gourmet Today has a menu section in the back which has help me figure out what goes well with what. Before my generally included a veggie out of a can, a pasta or rice out of a box and some type of meat.

This week's menu (Breakfast on the first line, lunch on the second, dinner items)

Sunday Ă¢â‚¬â€œOrange Raisin Scones

Ham on Pumpernickel with chips and fruit of choice

Roasted Chicken and Asparagus with Tahini Sauce.

Bulgur Pilaf

Monday Ă¢â‚¬â€œMexican Sweet Buns

Cheesy Bean Burritos

Black Bean Quesadillas

Pico de Gallo with chips

Fiesta Rice

Tuesday- Buttermilk Pancakes and Sausage

Tuna Salad on Baby Spinach

Fettuccini with Arugula Puree and Cherry Tomato Sauce

Green Salad

Crusty Bread

Wednesday Ă¢â‚¬â€œBaked Eggs with Roasted Vegetable Hash

Grilled Cheese

Pan Glazed Fish with Citrus and Soy

Ginger Basmati Rice Pilaf with Cumin and Scallions

Bok Choy

Thursday Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Baked Butter Pecan French Toast with Blueberry Syrup

Four Cheese Macaroni and Cheese

Grilled Steaks with Olive Oregano Relish

Grilled Eggplant with Yogurt Mint Sauce

Green Salad

Friday Ă¢â‚¬â€œSummer Vegetable Frittata

Veggie Pasta Stir Fry

Vegetable Potpie with Cheddar Biscuit Topping

Green Salad

Saturday Ă¢â‚¬â€œButtermilk Waffles

Barbecue Pork Burgers

Grilled Mexican corn with mayonnaise and feta cheese

I found the rarely used food processor to be my new kitchen best friend. So much so that I am considering a second. I buy olive oil by the gallon and my produce bill is the largest part of of my grocery expense.

I cook more than I ever have so we instituted a new rule that the person who cooks doesn't clean up. If ever dh or dd decide to take over a meal, I'll be happy to wash the dishes for them.

Good luck.

We do things a bit differently here...

I plan a quarterly menu, we shop and cook for the main meals quarterly (I only shop for sides/breads/staples based upon what we need that week).

Once a quarter, we take 3 days (plus one for shopping) to prep and cook all of our major meals for 3 months. My husband helps, my children help. The prepared meals then go into the freezer, and are pulled (2-3 at a time) to thaw and cook.

Tonight's dinner is Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry. Around 4pm, I will put the rice on to steam (my oldest son could do this, and will probably learn). At 5pm, I'll go heat up the skillet, add the chicken and veggies and cook until tender-crisp, dish up and serve (about 15 minutes).

Yesterday's dinner, Rotini with Spaghetti Sauce, my son put our thawed sauce into the crock pot, boiled the water and the pasta, I drained it... and added it to the spaghetti sauce around 3pm. After that, it was microwave the peas, and serve.

My husband doesn't get home until around 6pm...so relying on him for meals would mean we'd be pretty hungry. But, I don't have time to cook every day, but with his help we can live a "prepared food" lifestyle, but cook it from scratch.

The only extra thing I need to do tonight is make the pizza dough for tomorrow's meal. I haven't gotten to making breads ahead of time and freezing those ...yet ;)

Homeschooling takes a lot of work. Managing a household does too. I could not do our meal preparation without his help -- with children, and helping with some of the simple tasks, so that I can do the more complicated ones.

Eventually, as the children get older, the whole crew will get into the act, but for right now, they are pretty much limited to meatball preparation.

I do enjoy cooking, but I don't have the time to really cook. If you have a freezer, this may work for you. I'd be more than happy to share my recipes and what-not if it would help.

But I have to say it makes me a bit discouraged not to have read anything about anyone getting help from husbands and kids.

Just b/c I didn't mention it doesn't mean they don't help. ;) I was just addressing the OP's question about menu planning, staying in budget, etc.

I do believe it is part of my calling as a wife/mother...to provide and take care of the shopping, cooking, cleaning. However, it is just as important to teach my children those skills. They help plan meals (there's a spot on my meal chart that says "Next week I would like to have...." and they can write in things as they think of them but I also have them help think of things when I'm making my grocery list), they help prepare meals, one of the chores is cleaning the kitchen, etc. And my dh has things he prepares (he's the pancake guy in our house too! lol) sometimes. On nights when I have to teach or might be away at a birth, they are all perfectly capable of preparing a meal without me.

I hear ya!!!! I was banging my head on the wall trying to figure out how to deal with our familys various food allergies and somehow get something on the table without making 4 different whole meals! Between us we have the allergies: Cranberries, pineapple, dairy, walnuts, pecans, and a suspected peanut. And we have the intolerances: dairy, all meat (me), red meat (DH), oranges, and cucumbers. This is spread out between 5 family members, and so what works for one is not ok for the other...:glare:

Anyway, I started checking out cookbooks at the library concentrating on vegan ones and quick cooking as much as possible. The vegan option gives me a base to start with as it is meat and dairy free...for those who eat meat and/or dairy, it is easier to add something on to the base dish than make something entirely special for every persons different needs.

The next problem was dealing with the planning and copying down the recipes I was interested in trying. It ended up being a disaster because I was trying to hand write all my plans, shopping list, recipes (since they were library books), and things were just getting messy. Enter The living Cookbook software! I bought that and now I am entering in the recipes I think we will like. Next I drag and drop to a calendar to make my meal plan. I can enter in how many servings of each recipe I need (in case we have company I can make it more that day). Then I transfer it to a shopping list. Hit print and I am ready to go! :auto:

The con of this program is that you do have to enter in the recipes for it to work, but I figure if I do that for a while until I have a good base of recipes, then I will have a good thing going!

Another thing I did with the software was make 2 "cookbooks". One is my trial book and one is our family book. If it is a recipe that I have not tried before, it is in the trial book and I only make the exact quantity for our family of those recipes. If we like it, I move the recipe to the family cookbook. I can also add under the tips heading if it freezes and reheats well or not. That way I can make a larger amount next time with the knowledge that we like it and it does keep well, so no waste!

Another feature I like is that you can tell the program what stores you shop at, and what you buy at that store. When it generates your shopping list it will tell you what you need per store. If you also save in the store settings the store aisles, it will break your list into aisles for you. That way you can shop in an orderly manner. No more getting milk and then the next thing on the list is lettuce and then finding out you also needed eggs five items later and then onions! I always hated the run around with my hand written lists!

You can also list prices of ingredients.

You can inventory your pantry so that it wont put something on the shopping list until you need it (again more entering time)

It gives you the nutritional info for each recipe.

and tons more!

(I sound like a commercial :lol:)

Ok this is getting way too long. So I am going to stop now! They do have a 30 day trial you can check out if you are interested.

The other thing I do is buy bulk as much as possible on things like rice, dried beans, flours etc. Saves $$

Hope that helps :)

I try to keep my shopping as simple as possible. I shop at Sam's, aldi, and if there is a really good deal a regular grocery store. :)

One trick I have learned is to shop at Sam's once a week if at all possible. They do put things on clearance and then I STOCK UP!!!! Right now I have 10 flats of progresso soup in the garage that I got for 2.81 a flat. I have learned to be ready to pounce when I see deals. We also have Target Greatland, so whenever food stuff that I want goes clearence I buy it with my target check card. That gives me an additional 3%off, granted 3% isn't a huge amount, but when combined with clearance it's still less than walmart.

I keep staples on hand, and I cook with a variety of seasonings. I also try to cook 2 meals in 1. I will grill enough chicken for dinner and Chicken tortilla soup the next night.

Little trick at Sam's. Go to the giant cans of processed cheese and take the plastic lid. Put the lid on peaches, corn, green beans you name it. That way you have a lid for those giant cans!!!!!

We have a Google document that everyone can access for our grocery list. My 3 oldest look through cookbooks and each plan 2 meals per week.

They write down ingredients and the page number of the recipe. I print the list when I go shopping.

That takes care of 6 meals a week. I try to go out to eat on my night. My son cleans the kitchen every night.

I mostly just sit around and nurse the baby.

I like to have a full pantry, because I am not always sure what I will feel like cooking. ;) I have a good amount of bulk dry items (beans, rice, quiona, millet, couscous, oatmeal, flours etc), I have canned bulk items like Eden beans, jarred red sauce (only on sale, otherwise I make my own)and boxed or frozen tomatoes. I buy certain frozen veggies from my food coop, which work well in a lot of dishes. I try to always have some frozen chicken broth in the freezer.

If I meant to use beans in a soup or something, and didn't soak, I'll use canned or substitute something else, like quick-cooking couscous, millet, or quiona.

Now that spring is here, I can throw together a green salad on the spur of the moment as well. The kale, cinlantro, parsely, sage etc is also snippable again right outside my door! Of course, we have our own eggs. About a dozen + a day , and a few pullets, so that will increase.

I shop a few places, but not every week.

*There is a store here which is like Job Lot, and I often find organic canned goods, or other dry organics; pasta at times, somtimes Newman's sauces, it's never the same items. I might go there twice a month.

*I like Trader Joe's but it's quite a hike, so I only make it there every other month or so. Last year, I only went about 3 times, but I have been more frequently this year.

*I order bulk items (flours, oatmeal, rice, millet, nuts, seeds etc) about every other month from the food coop.

*I go to Stop & Shop weekly for fresh frutis and veggies (they carry organic, or sometimes I go to the health food store in the next town over, when I am there for hsing events or vist The Big Library. ;) I really like to support them-- it's a long -time family business),.

*I buy raw milk & butter from a farm near my home. I might go there every other week. We do not drink milk ususally, we mostly cook with it. A 1/2 gallon lasts about a week, around.

*Meat comes from another farm, not far from here. I go there about once a month, as it's sold frozen.

*I go to fishmonger near my home about once a week. The fish there is fresh, nothing is frozen, so I only buy what I need for that day, or perhaps the next. Sometimes I go more than once a week, depending. In summer, there is a man who sets up his refrigerator truck on my street and sells gorgeous morning- caught seafood. It's not a huge variety, but I know it's summer when I see him. :001_smile: Sometimes I send the kids on their bikes to to get it.

*In summer, we go each week to the farmer's market, which is right in the neighborhood. Although we have a garden, they always have items I don't grow, and it's very fun and social. There is a farmer who sells plum, pears, peaches, apples etc...they are not 100% organic, but I know her and she does her absolute best to minimize any treatments.

I'm pretty well stocked, so I am usually able to fix somehting without having to go out at the last minute.

Edited by LibraryLover

Although this is the grimmest "meal planning" that I ever have encountered, I do have a friend who has two -- and two only -- dinner menus. She alternates days with these. Her oldest child now is 21.

I'm thinking of doing one week, and using it until people complain. DH has actually suggested this as the cure for my tendency to over-plan everything (only he worded it differently because he's smart! :D). I wonder if they'd even notice. I could change it up seasonally since we grill a lot in the summer.

I wonder if that's all she knows how to cook? That would get so boring for ME. I can't even imagine...

I'm thinking of doing one week, and using it until people complain. DH has actually suggested this as the cure for my tendency to over-plan everything (only he worded it differently because he's smart! :D). I wonder if they'd even notice. I could change it up seasonally since we grill a lot in the summer.

On another board I frequent someone does this. She plans a weeks worth of meals in the summer that can easily be taken on picnic on a whim. In the winter another she does another set. I am not sure if she does it quarterly or only twice a year, but she says it make for a simpler day for her. It does sound tempting!

But I have to say it makes me a bit discouraged not to have read anything about anyone getting help from husbands and kids.

Oh, I'd never survive this way if my husband didn't love to cook! In our kitchen, I do breakfasts simply because I like to. (And, since I'm a lark it's easier for me.) He enjoys doing our big meal of the day often half the time - sometimes more - and then we usually have leftovers or sandwiches the other meal when he's at work.

I bake; he cooks on the stove much more. (It's funny - you can tell who plans a week's meals by this. I tend to plan 2 or more oven meals while his menus rarely have any oven stuff at all.)

I like routine. He's an innovator - the reason that we don't have just the same week's meals over and over again.

I thank my God for dh's love for cooking on at least a weekly basis!!:)

My difficulty is letting our girls into it. I need to be teaching dd6 more than I have been.

Mama Anna

On another board I frequent someone does this. She plans a weeks worth of meals in the summer that can easily be taken on picnic on a whim. In the winter another she does another set. I am not sure if she does it quarterly or only twice a year, but she says it make for a simpler day for her. It does sound tempting!

Realistically, two weeks is probably more do-able. They do not need to be 14 unique days though. It could be kind of a "modular" menu as obviously a summer storm is going to necessitate a non-grill meal. (Maybe I'm overthinking it again...)

Can anyone really think of 14 different healthy breakfasts without making breakfast any more complicated than what I'm already doing? Lunch?

We tend to do:

Scrambled eggs & toast

cereal, milk & fruit

muffins, fruit, yogurt

smoothies, muffins

omelettes

pancakes, sausage

all with milk/juice/coffee (coffee for me)

That's only 6, and I'm repeating one technically (scrambled eggs & omelettes are kind of the same)

Oh, all of my kids cook! And my oldest shops when he is home from college, as does my dh. Dh is a huge help in food prep, buying, and cleaning!

I make most suppers, as it is very relaxing to me. Chopping onions and snipping herbs, sauteeing...all forms of meditation for me.

In fact, one of my most favorite things in the world to do is grill in summer, with one hand holding a chilled chardonnay. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

Thank you ladies for the excellent ideas!

I have gotten a few things on my to do list now in terms of streamlining this process.

I don't think my family would go for the help cooking. They help other ways like yard work, babysitting siblings, cleaning, etc.

Plus it's mindboggling enough to try to find what they put away after grocery shopping. I can't imagine all of them in the kitchen cooking. Now dd, 12, she is amazing and is a fantastic helper. The ds 16 - he just wants to eat after working in the yard - call me old fashioned but yep, I think it's my job :) Just one I can't get under control, thus the need for the post.

Thank you all for the comments so far, keep em coming, I'm learning alot.