Menu

Composters

I want this composter. I've wanted it for several years. Right now it's on sale for $429 plus $99 s/h. That is a lot of money for us at this time. The other day at Costco I found this for $99. I mentioned to dh that we could buy a couple of them for that price. He's wanting one, too. We have two large garden areas (approx. 30' x 30' ea.)

Mainly I'm wondering if anyone has used one like what Costco is selling? Has it held up? Is it easy to turn. I don't want to spend more money than necessary, but I want to get one that is easy to use and well built. I want it to last!

Thanks.

You can build one for cheaper than that and it would hold more compost.

There are many plans online

http://www.bluegrassgardens.com/how-to-build-a-compost-bin.htm

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/pc/services/home/environ/waste/recycle/compost/compostbins.htm

Currently we have a box/chicken wire one that we turn with a pitch fork. It's awkward and not easy to turn. The video for the Tumbler makes it look so easy. I'll do some more searching online.

The other day at Costco I found this for $99.
I got that style of composter ~11 years ago when I worked for a garden center. (Tested it out for them.)

We hated it! Seriously, think about it. You fill it up... How heavy is it going to be?? Very! You can't roll it at all on flat land. If you have the slightest bit of a slope in your yard, it can then roll away from you and you can't stop it.

Add to that, I live in the south and the sun baked that black plastic, which led to the lid shattering.

We sent it off to the landfill after a couple of years.

I just use a wire cage.

If you want something black and rollable, I can tell you that the black trash can idea a previous poster mentioned works well. I bought one ($15) that has handles that lock over the lid, and had dh drill holes all over the can (there's instructions somewhere on the internet that we found). The kids or I roll it around the yard a bit every so often.

Erica in OR

I want this composter. I've wanted it for several years. Right now it's on sale for $429 plus $99 s/h. That is a lot of money for us at this time. The other day at Costco I found this for $99. I mentioned to dh that we could buy a couple of them for that price. He's wanting one, too. We have two large garden areas (approx. 30' x 30' ea.)

Mainly I'm wondering if anyone has used one like what Costco is selling? Has it held up? Is it easy to turn. I don't want to spend more money than necessary, but I want to get one that is easy to use and well built. I want it to last!

Thanks.

I have one of the ComposTumbers. It is a pain. It doesn't get hot enough and the door broke. It also has way too much circulation and it's nearly impossible to keep enough moisture in it. It belonged to my BIL originally and it's going to leave here this summer.

I have recently bought a Compost Wizard (like Monday). I haven't started using it yet (It's COLD here this week.), but it's black so I have high hopes that it will at least get hot enough.

I've been using the lasagne/no dig garden methods and composting right onto the garden beds. I have one area set aside at any one time for composting, I'm finding that it breaks down really fast and there is no mucking around turning and carting compost.

I've been using the lasagne/no dig garden methods and composting right onto the garden beds. I have one area set aside at any one time for composting, I'm finding that it breaks down really fast and there is no mucking around turning and carting compost.

Do you use kitchen scraps in it? I am concerned about animals being attracted to my garden if I do that.

I think the key to having lots of compost is having lots of stations. We have a large raised bed garden-16 beds and a few other planting beds and are planning an expansion. Currently we have a general green/brown pile and 3 worm bins. I'm adding an earth machine for garden waste and a solar cone to act as disposal for things we can't feed to the worms. If the earth machine works out then I'll add another next spring. I get extra leaves and clipping from a landscape friend. We are also adding chickens and I'm set to get some manure to save a season this fall.

Well that round costco one. I would just get a big round trashcan with a lid, poke holes in the bottom, bungee the lid on and save myself probably $80 :lol:

This is what we did! We have one extra large plastic trash can that we poked holes in up and down the sides and on the bottom. We turn it by kicking it over on its side and pushing it with our feet. If you have a whole lot of composting material, you can get 2 or 3, and still spend less than half the cost of the Costco one.

Do you use kitchen scraps in it? I am concerned about animals being attracted to my garden if I do that.

Yes I do. Our yard is completely fenced, so that stops most animals. Possums and rodents do get in there I'm sure, but as far as I'm concerned, that helps with the breaking down of the compost so it doesn't really bother me.

If you aren't putting meat in it, it shouldn't be an issue.

Are you worried about racoons? Those critters could work a Lojack if they wanted.

Your compost isn't going to attract any more animals than your garden does. Let the mice and bunnies sratch & poop...what does it matter?

Oh, a conversation after my own heart. My IRL friends dont understand my love of compost.

I went to a workshop recently where, as part of it, we made compost in a huge pile. Alternate brown (leaves, manure, mulch etc) and green (kitchen scraps, grass clippings), leave for 6 months. I came home and filled my black plastic compost bin- just a box really, with holes for aeration- and now I am leaving it till its done.

So...dh went out and bought me a new compost bin (around $30) to start making my new batch while the last batch cooks. (He knows how to turn me on- buy me a new compost bin!)

I am finding the black plastic boxes work quite well. But then, so would all the other suggestions. My dad used to have wooden boards on 3 sides, open at the front, for his compost. We rent and have dogs and wild rats, so the boxes help contain the compost and keep it neat and unavailable to vermin.

I have always wanted one of those roller ones too, but in the end, I think I would rather spend the money on plants and manure etc If I found one 2nd hand, I would probably get it.

Like Sandra, I often make garden beds by layering compost materials straight on and letting them sit for a few weeks before planting. It does work really well.