Menu

Wavering on purchasing curriculum.

Do you ever waver on whether to buy something homeschool related?

For instance I *think* my oldest needs a change in math. I am looking at MUS but I keep second guessing myself as to whether to buy it or not.

I just don't know if it is the answer to the math issues we are having.

Anyone else ever do this??:confused:

Yes, right now I'm wavering on whether or not to purchase a particular writing curriculum. Not because I'm afraid it isn't a good one but more because I know that a curriculum is only as good as my commitment to following through with it. I have in the past spent good money on stuff I never got around to using simply because there just wasn't enough time or motivation. I've also purchased wonderful programs that it turned out didn't suit my dc's learning styles nor mine so into the 'for sale' box they went.

Just recently, before making a substantial investment in a particular curriculum, my dh asked with a very serious face, "If I say, 'Go ahead and order it', will you actually use it?" Good question and this time I was sure that the answer was yes so I ordered it. However, the writing one I'm still wavering/praying about.

Now, as for wavering over whether or not to switch to another because of problems, I've done that too. A couple of times, the switch was unnecessary and didn't correct the problem the way I anticipated but ther were a couple times that switching was a life saver.

I guess my question to you would be, why do you think your oldest needs to switch math? What are the issues you are having? If you are convinced that the issues could be solved using MUS then I say switch but if you do then be prepared to commit to the MUS approach. Jumping around from one to another may cause more harm than good. Believe me, I know and it's the one thing I'm striving to be better at with my two boys. (sticking it out with any given curriculum, that is :D)

If I waiver, I usually wait. Then sometimes I find something else that works better, and sometimes I go ahead and purchase—after I have mentally debated it ad nauseum and have decided I will use it no matter what.

The best option is to get my hands on a copy and test it out, though, and after that I am usually convinced one way or the other. There's almost always someone who will loan you something over the summertime.

I waver, obsess, wait, pray, then wait some more, and then change my mind. I've had many instances when I had the "I have to buy it now!" obsession. For me that usually means I shouldn't buy it. When I set it aside and try to avoid the whole issue for about a week the choice most always becomes clear.

Always. I've been wavering on whether or not to buy Oak Meadow for my first grade. I finally went ahead and bought it when Oak Meadow emailed me the other day and told me they had a used first grade syllabus.

But yes, I waver on all curriculum choices. Your child's education is such a big decision and there are so many choices out there.

Absolutely, and it can be agonizing. Most of the time, I just buy it with the intention of reselling it. I can't stand the anxiety of such decisions that is why I just go ahead and do it. There have been times that I wanted something that we simply cannot afford, i.e. a whole Sonlight package. I'd buy that right now if I had the money even though we don't really need it.

I do still waver, especially when we're struggling in a certain area and I read others' glowing reports of how a particular curriculum worked wonders for their family. I start to second guess myself, and try to figure out if I should stick with what we have or give something new a try. One determining factor I consider is the resale value of the currciulum. If I don't like it or it doesn't work well for us, how difficult would it be to re-coup some of my money?

For example, we've struggled in writing for a long time and I keep hearing all this great stuff about IEW. I looked into it and realized that it has a high re-sale value, so it was worth the risk to me. Yes, lots of $$ to dish out upfront, but knowing I could get most of it back if needed helped me to just go for it!

Guest ToGMom

Yep...a lot. (although there are certain curriculum/programs that I just won't compromise/waver on)

Guest Cindie2dds

For instance I *think* my oldest needs a change in math. I am looking at MUS but I keep second guessing myself as to whether to buy it or not.

I just don't know if it is the answer to the math issues we are having.

Anyone else ever do this??:confused:

Oh, you are not alone! From last June until February I changed my mind every couple of weeks. Poor dd. She's so young and just took everything in stride, I broke out, gained 15 pounds and cut all my hair off. :lol:

I think I'm closer to sane now. At least I'm not wavering anymore. ;)

Edited by Cindie2dds

I'm totally on a seesaw here, back and forth, up and down. Should I purchase Oak Meadow, or stick with the Charlotte Mason stuff I have on hand? Then, should I do language arts in a more OM style, or shell out the money for PLL and ILL workbooks for the kids?

Arrrrrrrggggghhhhhh! It's driving me crazy, not to mention driving dh crazy to listen to it all.

Ah, yes. The reason that I'm glad spring comes but once a year. I wait for it all year, knowing that the time is coming when I can break out all the curriculum recs that I've been studying and collecting for the past however many months. I rub my hands gleefully and gloat when it's finally possible for me to rationalize pouring over WTM and the Rainbow Resource Center catalogue. I search threads, study curriculum websites, make my choices firmly, and write them down with a sense of accomplishment.

I have my list together and begin searching various places for used curriculum. Then I have to wait while I get a feel for the prices I want to/am able to pay. And my researching goes on. My feet get cold. My shoulders tense. I wonder, "Is it reeaally what I want? Reeaally what's best for her? After all, the reviews on this other program are impressive . . ." By the time Conference is here and my RRC order is in, I'm sick to death of all the fence-straddling, wishy-washiness, and second-guessing I've been doing.

Finally, I've had it. My order arrives, I either am or am not enchanted with the contents of the box plus all the other stuff I found in different places, and I no longer care what "the best" is. I'm very ready to just hunker down and figure out the best way of using what I have. Exhausted, I don't even want to think about next spring. I just glance at curric. recs that look interesting because it's been so much on my mind lately. It's not like I'm actually going to write them down or anything! But, you know, this particular method just might address the problem dd is having . . .

It goes on and on!!

I just try to limit the worst of it to March and April.

:grouphug:

Mama Anna