Menu

Keeping cool when working outside

Dh is struggling with the heat and working outside. He is doing a physically demanding job here in FL. He works 7-3:30 (or sometimes 5) almost always outside. However, in a few weeks he will be back to 7am-7pm 7 days a week! He's having so much trouble now he doesn't know what he will do when that starts. At night, he comes home and it takes him several hours to get cool enough where he can eat (and sleep.) Sometimes he has so many leg cramps and aches and pains that he can't get comfortable.

He drinks a lot of water and is trying to drink more. Occasionally he dumps water over his head. He has a straw hat that he wears now instead of a baseball cap. His uniform is long pants and a short sleeve shirt. He also wears a white t-shirt underneath. He can get shorts, but then he isn't sure what shoes he will wear (he wears boots now.)

He is really struggling with this and we need this job. I need him more, though, so I want to prevent him from getting heat stroke! Any ideas?

Some people who work outside all day claim that the cool-down bandanas work well. I hate suggesting that you buy a product that I have not tried myself, but I will refer you to a website which shows how to make one of these things: ehow.

Could the cramping be an indicator of a mineral deficiency?

Better tutorial here.

Edited by Jane in NC

We have used the bandanas. We bought ours from QVC. I would also suggest he buy some shirts and shorts made of a new material that doesn't hold the sweat. They are very "silky" feeling. We found them at JcPenny. I would say pants or shorts made from this material would be great. They have socks too! I see the guys outside in workboots and shorts all the time. Remind him that we live in the South. Work cannot be a fashion show, LOL. I worked outside for years pulling cable so I feel his pain. He will get more accustomed to being outside. I was very comfortable outside in the summer once I made a few wardrobe adjustments, but I did not smell like roses and lilacs at the end of the day!

We have used the bandanas. We bought ours from QVC. I would also suggest he buy some shirts and shorts made of a new material that doesn't hold the sweat. They are very "silky" feeling. We found them at JcPenny. I would say pants or shorts made from this material would be great. They have socks too! I see the guys outside in workboots and shorts all the time. Remind him that we live in the South. Work cannot be a fashion show, LOL. I worked outside for years pulling cable so I feel his pain. He will get more accustomed to being outside. I was very comfortable outside in the summer once I made a few wardrobe adjustments, but I did not smell like roses and lilacs at the end of the day!

He must wear a uniform. The boots he has are calf high with no laces, so we would at least have to buy him ankle high work boots.

Some people who work outside all day claim that the cool-down bandanas work well. I hate suggesting that you buy a product that I have not tried myself, but I will refer you to a website which shows how to make one of these things: ehow.

Could the cramping be an indicator of a mineral deficiency?

Better tutorial here.

Thanks for the instructions. He mentioned there (my Mom had one) but now I can make one and not have to spend $20 on it!

As for the mineral deficiency - I think so. I think he is sweating it all out!

Alternate the water with Gatorade and make sure he is eating during the day. Sweating makes you lose salt and potassium. Lack of those two (and maybe others) leads to cramping. Gatorade can replace them, also you can buy potassium supplements at any pharmacy that you can take in pill form. Basically, if he's cramping, he needs to replace the electrolites he is sweating out. My husband cleans pools in Central FL. He goes through almost 2 gallons of water a day now. It will be closer to 3 in high summer. He also takes potassium pills, drinks gatorade and fruit juice, and snacks on peanuts and dried fruit all day.

Alternate the water with Gatorade and make sure he is eating during the day. Sweating makes you lose salt and potassium. Lack of those two (and maybe others) leads to cramping. Gatorade can replace them, also you can buy potassium supplements at any pharmacy that you can take in pill form. Basically, if he's cramping, he needs to replace the electrolites he is sweating out. My husband cleans pools in Central FL. He goes through almost 2 gallons of water a day now. It will be closer to 3 in high summer. He also takes potassium pills, drinks gatorade and fruit juice, and snacks on peanuts and dried fruit all day.

Thanks! He says he just figured out the Gatorade system at work (turns out he was supposed to be making it daily but his supervisor wasn't real clear about that.) He has a jug for himself, they have ice, and he makes Gatorade every morning in the big jug. So now he will have Gatorade!

I'll mention the potassium pills - I thought it might be potassium problems. I'll also mention the peanuts and dried fruit. He is eating at lunch, but less and less as it gets hotter. He can't eat when he gets really hot.

:iagree:My dh works outside and fills up a 5 gallon cooler everyday. Get the shorts and boots, that will make a difference too.

Definitely up the salt and potassium intake. Too much water and not enough salt/electrolyte replacement can lead to a bad thing..natoremia (or something like that)?

Gatorade, salted nuts, even salt tablets, etc. in addition to the water are essential.

Good luck!

We live where it is 95-105 with tons of humidity and we play tennis in this crazy weather! I swear by the Frog Togg cool towel and bandana. They are worth every penny!!!! I know people that have two and for tournaments will keep them in a cooler with ice water. They are awesome!

PS- I have no relationship with this company. (Except they keep me from passing out!)

We live where it is 95-105 with tons of humidity and we play tennis in this crazy weather! I swear by the Frog Togg cool towel and bandana. They are worth every penny!!!! I know people that have two and for tournaments will keep them in a cooler with ice water. They are awesome!

PS- I have no relationship with this company. (Except they keep me from passing out!)

I think Tennis would be preferable!:lol: He used to work in the heat in NC, but it wasn't this sustained - he would have short bursts of hard work followed by periods of less activity. This is sustained manual labor the whole time.

Instead of a cotton T-shirt, have him try an Under Armour (or similar brand) T-shirt.

http://www.http://www.underarmour.com/

The best T-shirt ever made.

• Under Armour's definitive training T.
  • New lightweight, quick-drying fabric provides SUPERIOR moisture transport keeping you cool, dry, and comfortable.
  • Armour®Stretch improves mobility and accelerates dry time with lightweight fabrics built in a 4-way stretch.
  • Optimum seam positioning eliminates discomfort in high abrasion areas.
  • UPF 30+ protects your skin from the sun's harmful rays and inhibits premature aging.
  • Anti-Odor Technology prevents the growth of odor causing microbes.
  • 95% Polyester/ 5% Elastane.
  • Imported.

Thanks for the instructions. He mentioned there (my Mom had one) but now I can make one and not have to spend $20 on it!

As for the mineral deficiency - I think so. I think he is sweating it all out!

We didn't spend $20 at QVC for two. :001_huh: I would shop around - do a few gurggle searches ... :lol:

My husband works outside as well (lawn maintenance), in Virginia. It's in the 90's in the summer and very humid. He's done it for 17 years, I think. I don't know how he does it.

He did buy a used jet ski a few years ago to take out late in the day when he gets home as a reward. They usually work from 7-2 or 3 during the summer.

He is looking into those Clima Cool and such shirts b/c I bought some to wear this summer b/c of my hyperhydrosis condition. I've worn them, and they are great.

Right now, he wears t-shirts (light green Haynes) with Dickies khaki 13" utility shorts. He wears work boots with these. In the fall and winter, he wears Dickies work pants.

He brings a huge water cooler with him, and he has been known to dump the water on his head. He says the air conditioning between jobs in the truck helps too. They all take turns trimming b/c this is the most laborious part of regular lawn maintenance.

Instead of a cotton T-shirt, have him try an Under Armour (or similar brand) T-shirt.

http://www.http://www.underarmour.com/

• New lightweight, quick-drying fabric provides SUPERIOR moisture transport keeping you cool, dry, and comfortable.
  • Armour®Stretch improves mobility and accelerates dry time with lightweight fabrics built in a 4-way stretch.
  • UPF 30+ protects your skin from the sun's harmful rays and inhibits premature aging.
  • Imported.

Those are really nice, but $20 for a t-shirt?!?!?:001_huh: I'll keep a look out at thrift stores, though. Do you know any other name brands that are similar?

Your link is not working.

www.http://www.underarmour.com/

• Imported.

My husband works outside as well (lawn maintenance), in Virginia. It's in the 90's in the summer and very humid. He's done it for 17 years, I think. I don't know how he does it.

He did buy a used jet ski a few years ago to take out late in the day when he gets home as a reward. They usually work from 7-2 or 3 during the summer.

He is looking into those Clima Cool and such shirts b/c I bought some to wear this summer b/c of my hyperhydrosis condition. I've worn them, and they are great.

Right now, he wears t-shirts (light green Haynes) with Dickies khaki 13" utility shorts. He wears work boots with these. In the fall and winter, he wears Dickies work pants.

He brings a huge water cooler with him, and he has been known to dump the water on his head. He says the air conditioning between jobs in the truck helps too. They all take turns trimming b/c this is the most laborious part of regular lawn maintenance.

He has been trimming hedges for days (8 hours a day) - probably why he is getting so bad. He doesn't have A/C in the golf cart he drives at work :lol: and the minivan he drives back and forth in doesn't have A/C either. He doesn't have a choice about what he wears, other than he can get shorts instead of pants.

I am going to make sure that he switches pants for shorts the next two uniform days (so they will all be shorts.)

I'm going to make him some cool-dannas this weekend. I'll just have to buy the crystals.

I told him about potassium and salt, as well as the fact that he needs to drink even more water than he is (he's only doing about a gallon at work.)

I will buy him peanuts and other salty things to eat throughout the day.

He has been trimming hedges for days (8 hours a day) - probably why he is getting so bad.

Trimming hedges kills my husband too. He's been doing some of that too, but he has a lot more left to do. I'm assuming you husband will get back to mowing and such -- at least I hope. I melt when it's 80 degrees. :tongue_smilie:

Just my 2 cents ..we use to live in FL (FL born and raised here) my dad ran a business down there topping pool decks and drive ways...in the sun usually the same schedule as your husband. In the summer, I agree with the Gatorade, but I can't tell you the number of nights I saw my dad come in and eat a banana for the potassium loss for the leg cramps, and then he would take the table salt shaker and dump about 2 tsp in the palm of him hand, and lick it up! He never had leg cramps after this, and it help supplement the salt he would sweat out daily. My dad is going to be 50 yrs old next year, no health problems, healthy as an ox! I don't know if I could handle eating the salt, but the bananas each night definitely help!!!

Thanks! He says he just figured out the Gatorade system at work (turns out he was supposed to be making it daily but his supervisor wasn't real clear about that.) He has a jug for himself, they have ice, and he makes Gatorade every morning in the big jug. So now he will have Gatorade!

I'll mention the potassium pills - I thought it might be potassium problems. I'll also mention the peanuts and dried fruit. He is eating at lunch, but less and less as it gets hotter. He can't eat when he gets really hot.

In Texas at the summer football camps they have issues with the athletes drinking too much water in the heat and playing -- it can make a person really sick, as in hospital-sick, and later, if untreated....

Gatorade, pedia pops (pedialite in popsicle form, they come in liquid form, you take them home and freeze them), potatoes and bananas, peanuts, all good ways to keep him from getting sick.

Trimming hedges kills my husband too. He's been doing some of that too, but he has a lot more left to do. I'm assuming you husband will get back to mowing and such -- at least I hope. I melt when it's 80 degrees. :tongue_smilie:

He doesn't mow - there is another team that does that. He trims hedges (and hedges and hedges and hedges....you wouldn't believe how many there are at a race track.) He pressure washes. He fixes toilets, urinals, etc. He moves furniture. They set up and tear down from special events. They pump water when it rains. He cleans the gutters and storm drains on the rooves of the buildings. They put up the huge banners on the side of the track and take them down again. Anything that needs to be done to maintain the track, he does. Last week they were taking down trees!

I'll make sure he gets bananas. And salt!

Renee I don't know how people work outside here. I think it's just getting used to it. Water, gatorade, frozen grapes (that's what our kids snack on during football games in the heat), etc...

I don't know how he's doing it. :001_huh:

Sometimes he has so many leg cramps and aches and pains that he can't get comfortable.

He drinks a lot of water and is trying to drink more.

I didn't get a change to read all of the posts yet, so I'm sorry if this is a duplicate (dinner is almost ready), but I think that your husband is over hydrating --- he needs to add a multi-vitamin, more veggies and milk into his diet - if he always does so then perhaps at higher quantities to deal with the micro-nutrient & enzyme loss that could be precipitating the cramping.

It might just be heat stroke, but -- it can't hurt to take a quick look at his diet too since he's doing everything that he can for the HS.

If you are looking to save some money, here is a recipe for homemade Gatorade:

1 packet unsweetened Kool-Aid (I get Walmart brand for 12 cents)

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 tsp low-sodium salt substitute (less than $2 for a container that will last a long time--it's a blend of sodium chloride and potassium chloride)

2 qts water

My kids can't tell the difference between this and real Gatorade. You can also add 1/2 cup or so of orange juice to add more vitamins and minerals.