Menu

How to you hs twins

I always tried to use the same thing for my twins, as it was just less time consuming. Around the time they were turning 8 though I realized I needed to start using two different math programs, two different handwriting programs, and two different spelling programs. It was more work on my part:glare:, but it helped both of them a great deal:001_smile:.

I do have girls 18 months apart. They are on the same level for every subject except for mathematics. I spoke with someone at Peace hill Press when I began to homeschool, and they advised me to start them on the same level for grammar and history. It has worked well for my family. I use curriculum sugestions from WTM and LCC. I use the same for both of my girls. We haven't had any issues to make us want to move to another.

My twins are now in 6th, and thus far I've had them together for everything except spelling (which was together till about 3rd). However, next year I will be separating them for math - it has become apparent that this is necessary. :glare: They'll stay together for everything else.

I think it's going to depend on the personalities and strengths of your individual twins how much will be together or apart.

I'm using the same curriculum. I hope that continues for some time--I'd hate to juggle multiple curriculum choices per subject just in terms of prep time and cost.

My twins are incredibly different--in personality, learning style and academic needs. So I'm selecting curriculum that fit a wide range of learning types and needs. When we run into issues (one is struggling with phonics for example) I'm picking curriculum based on the one who has the particular needs.

We do certain aspects together (science, history, literature, etc.) but the core subjects I'm finding easier to take turns even though I'm doing the same lesson twice. So far the things we're doing for those (Rightstart, I See Sam readers and Headsprout, HWT) are not long lessons so it's working out fine. This allows me to tailor the instruction (pacing, detail, etc.) to each child. It also allows the one who struggles more less opportunity to compare himself to his twin.

Edited by sbgrace

My twins are 5th graders and except for handwriting they do the same work as each other. They are so similar that it amazes me. They have very different personalities, but stay with each other academically. One has disgraphia and so I am trying to work with him on that, but everything else is the same.

My boy's are only in K, but we do everything together. I taught all 3 of my children phonics at the same time and it worked very well. I plan on having my boy's do the same work for 1st grade. I can see how later on some would have to be seperated depending on where their strength & weakness is.

My twins are now 7. I teach math, science, history, and handwriting together. The rest is seperate for now. I think we may need to seperate math in the future but for now we are just rotating through the different programs with both girls, they are just much easier for one. One of the reasons we homeschool is to allow for this difference. ;)

I enjoy seeing the responses on this thread since this is my first year homeschooling. We do history, science, music and art appreciation together with my DS7. My b/g twins are 5 and we've done Saxon Math K and OPGTR together this year. They have different personality types but they are close friends and get along very harmoniously. They seem to understand each other and work together well. We started out doing the phonics/reading instruction separately but they seem to be much happier doing it together even though they have different reading abilities. They seem to enjoy the opportunity to help each other. I am open to doing some subjects independently (and I do have them read to me separately sometimes), but at this early stage I enjoy keeping them together.

I've used the same curriculum for both of my boys, fraternal twins. They are very different accademically. One is an accelerated reader and he gets math concepts more quickly. I'll let him do less MUS pages if he's getting it and my other ds doesn't get too upset about it. The differences were not as noticable in the early years, but one ds went more quickly through his phonics book than his brother. I just let them each go at their own pace. The avid reader gets different book assignments. The one who struggles in math is my more competitive child so it actually helps spur him on to catch up to his brother.

I have boy/girl twins age 6. We do Bible, history, and science together. For math, even though they're doing the same thing, I've found it works better to give each of them one-on-one instruction time.

For LA, they'll do FLL together, but reading instruction separately. I am using the same reading program with both of them (and their older brother as well), but they're all at different levels in reading.

Blessings,

Laura