Menu

G.A. Henty - Do your children enjoy his works? x-post

swimmermom3

The Henty books are Christian-based. I have read a couple of them and liked them. However, they're kind of a joke in our family because the hero's name is almost always Ned (or some other British-type name). You can learn a lot of history from reading the books, but you have to *really* love history to read many of them at a time.

Chris and Rebecca, thank you for the feedback and for saving me some money.:D My older son had picked up the Robert E. Lee book when we were in Williamsburg and had enjoyed it. Like Chris, I thought it was "okay." But you are not kidding about wanting to plug them into the gaps. Saxons, Britons, Hannibal! I'll refrain. I worked hard to find exciting literature for my non-reader this year and so far, it's all great. I don't want to blow it now with "okay."

Just out of curiousity, Rebecca, just how Christian is the content. Does it sit well within the story and ring true? Is it preachy or does it show good examples?

Chris and Rebecca, thank you for the feedback and for saving me some money.:D My older son had picked up the Robert E. Lee book when we were in Williamsburg and had enjoyed it. Like Chris, I thought it was "okay." But you are not kidding about wanting to plug them into the gaps. Saxons, Britons, Hannibal! I'll refrain. I worked hard to find exciting literature for my non-reader this year and so far, it's all great. I don't want to blow it now with "okay."

Just out of curiousity, Rebecca, just how Christian is the content. Does it sit well within the story and ring true? Is it preachy or does it show good examples?

I read several myself and enjoyed them. Since they were meant to teach history (as opposed to just using a historical setting), they don't assume or require much background knowledge (unlike, say, Scott's Waverley novels - my current reading project - which have me running to Wikipedia quite frequently :tongue_smilie:). I think they do a good job of weaving events into the storyline - it was all entertaining and nothing seemed particularly forced.

But I can't read more than a couple in a row. His heroes are all pretty much the same - an ideal 19th century British boy - even in ancient Carthage :lol:. Henty's values, what he considers right and wrong, are unapologetically put into the story, though mostly in the form of brief commentary when it would be inaccurate to ascribe them to the characters. IIRC, he clearly delineates b/w historical facts/opinions (and he did do quite a bit of research) and his commentary, though he presents his commentary (which naturally incorporates Christian beliefs) as self-evident truth.

To put it nicely, his books reflect a time when white suprematism and the imperialism were considered the natural order of things.

A reader unaccustomed to crude racism might find them hard to take.

Bill

True enough, though it depends on his subject how much it comes through. Those strictly about European or classical history have been pretty much ok, though I would pre-read anything that might involve non-European races. I wouldn't even attempt to read anything to do with colonization - it's awful. Product of the times, but nothing I want to read myself and certainly nothing I want to expose my kids to. I don't get the impression Henty *hated* other races or anything, which makes the blatant racist assessment of culture and even intrinsic cognitive ability even *more* jarring and horrifying. Henty just presents it as another fact, something that just *is*, as opposed to a cherished belief.

I've been shocked by the unconscious racism in some kids' classics - Tom Swift, for one; I couldn't even finish the first book. The racism didn't even have anything to do with the plot, but was just a throwaway comment. And it wasn't even meant to be mean - it was just stated as a fact - but the horrible, patronizing attitude it displayed! It made me realize how little I understand the impact of racism - I guess I always thought there were the idiot haters and then everyone else - the "good people", who I sort of assumed saw everyone as equal in the same way that good people now do. It showed me that even those 19th & early 20th century people who treated all races with equal civility still thought that some races were genuinely superior than others :confused:. I just didn't (and still don't) get how good people could think that. Makes me wonder what our society's horrible blind spot is - what pervasive belief that is self-evidently true to just about everyone now that subsequent generations will shudder at.

To put it nicely, his books reflect a time when white suprematism and the imperialism were considered the natural order of things.

Bill

So Bill, if I were to translate your erudite comment correctly, it would read something to the effect that a boy, who listens to NPR and that is being raised by liberal peaceniks that occasionally still listen to the Grateful Dead, may find Henty outside his sphere of understanding?

In 4th and 5th grade, no. In 6th and 7th grade, yes. I pulled out Beric the Briton and Cat of Bubastes for DS in 5th grade and it took him forever to get through them. He's a good reader, but it was just slow going. Then in 6th grade I bought In Freedom's Cause and Winning His Spurs in audio format (read by Jim Hodges, DS doesn't care for Jim Weiss) and he LOVES them. After he listened to those two, he asked if we had any more and I gave him With Lee in Virginia and...something else in paperback. Now that he knows he likes them, he is much happier reading them. We have a nice mix now of audio and hard copy Henty books and when I buy books for school I'll ask DS if he'd like for me to get him another couple. He has an old Vision Forum catalog that lists all of the Henty books in which he's circled the ones he's like to read.

You might look into paperback swap and check your library to see what they have before you spend the money if you aren't sure.

Forty-two, your assessment is very helpful as it is Henty's books about colonization that I am most interested in. I have spent the last few weeks looking over numerous older works of historical fiction searching for high quality writing, engaging stories, and well-researched historical details. WE have used apparent racism (among other things) in literature to discuss how works reflect the cultural values of the times. The best course of action is probably to see if I can get the Briton book and the Saxon books from the library and read them myself. I am open to suggestions for other authors.

Added: I just checked Paperback Swap, but no such luck. Thanks for the idea, though.

Edited by swimmermom3
Addition

DS bought one at the homeschool convention in March. He hasn't read it though, which is very odd for my bibliophile. I think it was more the seller's desire for DS than it was DS's own.

I am going to try to find it and see what it is.

--

Found it.

The Boy Knight: A Tale of the Crusades

Now I will read it.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

Forty-two, your assessment is very helpful as it is Henty's books about colonization that I am most interested in. I have spent the last few weeks looking over numerous older works of historical fiction searching for high quality writing, engaging stories, and well-researched historical details. WE have used apparent racism (among other things) in literature to discuss how works reflect the cultural values of the times. The best course of action is probably to see if I can get the Briton book and the Saxon books from the library and read them myself. I am open to suggestions for other authors.

Added: I just checked Paperback Swap, but no such luck. Thanks for the idea, though.

Try looking online - there are several Henty books at the Gutenberg Project.

So Bill, if I were to translate your erudite comment correctly, it would read something to the effect that a boy, who listens to NPR and that is being raised by liberal peaceniks that occasionally still listen to the Grateful Dead, may find Henty outside his sphere of understanding?

He would certainly "comprehend" the novels, I'd just suspect he'd find many of the attitudes contained in them anachronistic to the the values he was raised with ;)

There is a road, no simple highway,

Between the dawn and the dark of night,

And if you go no one may follow,

That path is for your steps alone.

He would certainly "comprehend" the novels, I'd just suspect he'd find many of the attitudes contained in them anachronistic to the the values he was raised with ;)

There is a road, no simple highway,

Between the dawn and the dark of night,

And if you go no one may follow,

That path is for your steps alone.

:D

We're just getting started with Henty. We're using audio books at the moment. The only one we've done so far is Wulf the Saxon and ds has listened to it 4 or 5 times now! Just wish they weren't so spendy! Thankfully I have a generous friend who is letting us borrow her's. :hurray:

Bill

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to listen with ds instead of just handing him a cd. :001_huh:

Hi Lisa,

My kids' assessment is that he takes the same story line and simply drops it into a different historical background. My Aspie ds, who was an absolutely avid reader in elementary/middle school, threw the 3rd book of Henty's that he was reading onto the ground in disgust. He stated emphatically that he could tell me exactly what was going to occur in the book.......and essentially he was right.

The only one I still use is Cat of Bubastees b/c I have it on audio.

Hi Lisa,

My kids' assessment is that he takes the same story line and simply drops it into a different historical background. My Aspie ds, who was an absolutely avid reader in elementary/middle school, threw the 3rd book of Henty's that he was reading onto the ground in disgust. He stated emphatically that he could tell me exactly what was going to occur in the book.......and essentially he was right.

The only one I still use is Cat of Bubastees b/c I have it on audio.

We haven't read any yet but I had this bookmarked:

http://henty.ae6gn.com/bookschron.php

It's all of his books listed chronological and their links to be read online or downloaded.

Good luck,

Yesterday I read a significant portion of Wulf the Saxon online. For my older son, I think Henty is fine. This child is an action kind of guy and unfortunately is less discerning than his younger brother regarding quality of writing and social and moral aspects.

8FilltheHeart, after reading everyone's response, my hunch is that my youngest's would react the same way your young reader did. I can also guarantee that we would have some lively conversations with regards to racism. He still finds it difficult to reconcile an author's viewpoint to the time frame and culture in which the author wrote. I may use one Henty book so my son is familiar with him as an author. On the other hand, there are many good books for the Middle Ages (our studies for next year) and I don't have time to waste.

Lucidity, thank you for the link.