Menu

homemade laundry detergent and bread??

First of all is it that much cheaper on each of them. I can get a loaf of bread from the bread store for $1. That's whole wheat, or whole grain. Wheat floor is about $3 a 5lb bag, yeast $1 3pk, and not sure about other ingredents. Not to mention the time. Not sure about the laundry detergent.

Does anyone have a quick and easy recipe for laundry detergent?

Thanks

I

Also homemade -- must factor on the cost of the oven for an hour (don't have a bread machine)

Lara

I don't have a bread machine either.

Since I have a bread store close by I just run in there 1 month and stock up freezer. i usually can find whole wheat or whole grain on clearance shelf for $1 So, I don't believe making it would be cheaper.

Never thought about the cost of running oven:glare:

Absolutely on the laundry detergent. I made several gallon things for less than $10.

How hard is it to make? Definately sounds cheaper. Can you post or PM me recipe? thanks

A few weeks ago I wen through the threads about homemade laundry detergent and found this tutorial. I've made two batches and it's far cheaper, and works great. I have sensitive skin so I just used the soap I normally use (unscented Dove). I stocked up when it was on sale so that kept the price low.

http://deuteronomy6.blogspot.com/2008/07/homemade-dry-laundry-soap.html

Bread, I can definitely get cheaper bread than I can make from scratch but I don't like cheap storebought bread so it's probably comparable. What really changes the equation is that if make it we go through two loaves in no time flat whereas I often have to encourage them to finish off a storebought loaf.

I buy my wheat berries, yeast, salt, sugar etc all in bulk which really cuts the cost. Those little yeast packets are a rip off! Ask around or check at your local health food store if there is a buying co-op in your area. Or try SAM's or BJ's.

Yep! Same here.

The bread I make costs very little. I will have to figure it out. Definitely less than a dollar.

I figured out the cost for my homemade bread was less than $1 (varies depending on the size and ingredients). I think you'll find that if you look for bread that does not have HFCS, you will be spending more than $1 unless there is a sale or you have coupons.

I buy a jar of yeast and keep it in the refrigerator (Kroger and most grocery stores carry jars of yeast). It lasts about 4 to 6 months depending on how much I'm baking. Cost about $3.

Plus fresh bread is just yummy.

We do buy store bread (no HFCS) especially on sale and freeze it. There are always days/weeks when you just don't feel like baking. We also freeze our homemade bread.

Tipnut.com has 10 recipes for laundry detergent.

http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/

love this site!

Bread...... my dh is a white WonderBread only type of guy so he does not like homemade bread for sandwiches... with meals yes, sandwiches - no. Luckily we live near a bakery factory outlet and I but HFCS-free bread for $1 most of the time. Our WM's bread is under a dollar now...not healthier than homemade though.

Caveat about homemade laundry soap...if you have hard water, sometimes homemade stuff will leave your clothes very dingy looking, grey, or yellow.

Here there is limestone deposits in the water. All the homemade recipes that I've ever tried leave a yucky film on the clothes or make them look unclean and gross.

I made 10 gallons of laundry soap per the Duggar recipe last June. I just now had to make another batch. Absolutely worth it for me!

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine- best value

4 Cups - hot tap water

1 Fels-Naptha soap bar

1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*

½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.

-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)

-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

Bread... I make my own. Both for cost (we don't have discount bakeries here, like my mom does in KY where it's 50C a loaf or so), and for health!

Laundry detergent.... I used to make. I know homemade is cheaper, but I just didn't care for how it worked for us. For one, I didn't think it cleaned as well, and for the other, I like my laundry to SMELL GREAT! I know... chemicals and perfumes, but I like it to smell like I washed it. So we use Arm & Hammer Green Essentials (I think that's what it's called). It's cheapER and works well for us.

I made 10 gallons of laundry soap per the Duggar recipe last June. I just now had to make another batch. Absolutely worth it for me!

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine- best value

4 Cups - hot tap water

1 Fels-Naptha soap bar

1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*

½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.

-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)

-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

Ooooh, I have all of those things in my house right now, and I even have empty jugs to put it in :D I think I'll try a half batch tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for sharing that!

THANK YOU! I have been looking for a good liquid soap recipe. I can't use powdered in my machine. I will definitely be making this one.

I make my own bread, too, but I make it mostly organic and love to throw things in like flaxseed, etc. I definitely save money on that versus buying organic loaves at the store. :)

A loaf of homemade challah, the bread I make most frequently, costs me between 50 and 60 cents, depending on the cost of eggs. But I can get freshly made Italian bread with no HFCS or preservatives for 89 cents a loaf.... We use less than 2 loaves of bread per week, so I don't think it saves us much to make it at home, I just enjoy baking.