Menu

Is there a Math curriculum like this?

sagira

When I was growing up and doing math in my native country, it looked quite different than the math curricula I see here. I remember being taught different strategies for each type of problem, e.g. 9+5 could be 9+1, then 10+4=14, etc.

I also remember clearly essay questions we had to answer, e.g. Michael solved this problem this way. Do you think it's correct? Why or why not? what would you do differently?

Any math curricula like this?

MEP maybe?

I know K12's 4th grade math had some exercises like that for word problems. But its not a thing you see in all of the grade levels with their math.

I dont' think your going to find something like you had in your native country here in the US. LOL

When I was growing up and doing math in my native country, it looked quite different than the math curricula I see here. I remember being taught different strategies for each type of problem, e.g. 9+5 could be 9+1, then 10+4=14, etc.

I also remember clearly essay questions we had to answer, e.g. Michael solved this problem this way. Do you think it's correct? Why or why not? what would you do differently?

Singapore does the addition strategies. The Key To... series does some problems like the second one but it is for older kids.

Thanks. I was wondering if Ray's Arithmetic was a bit like that, because I believe our books were somewhat old-fashioned, and in Dutch. I remember they were called something like "De Grondslag" (foundation).

I'm very reluctant to switch curricula, but I would definitely look into at least supplementing with something that gave you strategies, critical thinking exercises and math used in real life.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

MUS teaches that the numbers want to make 10. It's been a while since I've taught Alpha so I don't know if it's exactly what you are looking for so you might want to go to their website and look at the samples.

I find Singapore Math 1A en 1B to be very similar as to how I was taught arithmetic in The Netherlands. Strategies are definitely taught, but I have not yet seen any word problems like you describe and I doubt there will be in the upper levels.

Math Mammoth does both of the things you listed.

It does sound like some things that Singapore does. You can go to their web site and download samples to see if it looks like what you're looking for. There is another book called Challenging Word Problems by Singapore that we just go that I hope will be like what you are describing. I just don't know yet because we haven't done much with it.

Kim

The Japanese math books I've seen do this explicitly. They will show three students from the class and different strategies each uses. An example can be seen in the "Area of A Triangle" section here.

There are some English translations sold by Global Education Resources. The Tokyo Shoseki texts and the Kyoiku Dojinsha workbooks. There's another set of English translations, of a set published by Gakkoh Tosho. I documented the ISBNs and one source for them in this post.

Singapore math does the first thing you mentioned but not the second thing. Of course, you could easily add those types of questions when working with your child.

I'm checking out all the Math programs you have been telling me about. I REALLY like that Japanese program! How come it's not more popular? The presentations are interesting and well thought out.

I talked to my dh and he thinks something from Asia would be good to consider, as Asian math is generally stronger than ours here in the US. Still trying to figure it out. I think now I'm in between:

MEP (I know it's from Britain, not the Asian continent, but developed by a Hungarian)

Singapore

The Japanese program

The only thing I'm afraid of with the Japanese program is that it doesn't appear to have an answer key or too much hand holding for the teacher. Thanks, Stripe, for the recommendation. Didn't even hear of that one before.

MEP looks good, but I wonder if I'll print it out and do it all. I like to hold my programs in my hand, generally. Unless I print it all out before school starts, including teacher's lesson plans, it may not get done. I do want to print out some worksheets and see how they work out individually.

RightStart helps the student develop strategies, however it doesn't think of different strategies as incorrect (Counting is the only big no-no). It was developed in the US, but based on an asian system. Students use an abacus that is set up to make it easy to see 5's and 10's. Some facts are memorized with chants (Yellow is the sun, 6 is 5 and 1...). Games are played to help memorize pairs that make 10, as well as many other math facts or strategies. We just got done learning about adding with 9's and have moved on to addition problems like 7+8 (add the 2 fives then the 2+3 - based on the first chant, and the visual of the abacus - 5 blue beads and 2 yellow beads is 7).

We have been very satisfied. The only negatives for us are price, and the time to teach and play games in the lower grades (30 to 45 minutes daily)

Right Start Math teaches a lot of mental adding and subtracting strategies...as a matter of a fact, they cover it A LOT in level B which we are doing now. Just like you explained in your questions. (9+4 can be 9+1=10 and 10+3=13) It has worked well for us and my PreK who just listens to the lessons tested ready for 1st grade math! I think my dd does math in her head better than on paper sometimes.

Hi there,

MEP teaches many different strategies for coming to an answer . . . until I actually started teaching MEP three years ago, I didn't know there was any other way to think about math other than rote memorization. That might be why I struggled with math all the way through school and into university.

Via MEP, I learned about segmenting or splitting numbers -- in YR 3 math, I taught my boys how to do long division three different ways.

84/4

by segmenting the number:

80 + 4 / 4

80/4 + 4/4

20 + 1

by [what I call] old fashioned long division

4 10's is 40

84 - 40 = 44

4 more 10's = 40

44 - 40 = 4

4 units = 1

10 + 10 + 1 = 21

by regular long division. Doing this sort of math seemed preposterous to me with a kid who didn't have his times tables even remotely mastered, so he used his timetable cheat sheet to do this higher level math, and I continued to do regular drill with him until he got them nailed down.

These are not ways that I thought about math.

As you get rolling in the higher grades, the thinking questions even stump my engineering husband. In Yr 4, we're doing multi-variable word problems. It's painful for me on the first run through, but my second boy is having a great time with math.

Just doing MEP worksheets is an option, but I don't think you get the full flavour of the program unless you jump in with both feet into the deep water and force yourself to swim. You won't get the teaching tricks and hints from just using the worksheets alone. The truth of it is, I even find the tricks to be tricky.

All this, from a woman who isn't a math expert, not even close.

Warmly, Tricia

Edited by Sweetpeach

Thank you, Tricia and Stripe. I'm reluctant to drop my main program, MCP, altogether. I like how it provides step by step exercises for me. Also, it's the whole idea of sticking with a program, instead of jumping around and ds not getting the whole picture. His issues could be just maturity related as well, as he's only turning 7 in September.

I'm like you, Tricia, just starting to get used to math. I avoided it like the pest as a child. Didn't do well in the middle and high school grades at all. This is why I'm concerned about providing a good foundation for ds, who's just starting out. So far he's not thrilled about math either, but he did say he would like more colorful workbooks.

Off to read Mr. Watanabe's blog!

Right Start Math teaches a lot of mental adding and subtracting strategies...as a matter of a fact, they cover it A LOT in level B which we are doing now. Just like you explained in your questions. (9+4 can be 9+1=10 and 10+3=13) It has worked well for us and my PreK who just listens to the lessons tested ready for 1st grade math! I think my dd does math in her head better than on paper sometimes.

It strikes me that this is good practice for algebra.

9+4=9+(1+3)

=(9+1)+3

=10+3

=13

I am currently using Singapore math 2b and 3b. They do have word problems in the review sections and excercises of the textbook, not as many in the workbook. I also supplement with Rays and with the word problem books sold seperately by Singapore (Challenging Word Problems, or CWP as it is called on the boards, and Must Know Word Problems).

The singapore way of teaching math does help with mental math, or being able to visualize a problem and solve it mentally in a variety of ways. I also supplement with Modern Curriculum Press workbooks so they get extra practice and drilling with the skills they learn in Singapore. The Home teaching guides for Singapore Math also have "Mental math" sections in the back with problems to drill.

As a former school teacher, combining these programs is the best option I have seen. After we are done with Singapore 3B, I am going to introduce Algebra with Life of Fred.

I find Singapore Math 1A en 1B to be very similar as to how I was taught arithmetic in The Netherlands. Strategies are definitely taught, but I have not yet seen any word problems like you describe and I doubt there will be in the upper levels.