Menu

Ahoy There! Pirates anyone?

EppieJ

So I have our Explorers study all mapped out in preparation for going into Early American History next year. Then I was looking at something and saw pirates.

I figure the end of Explorers would be the perfect time for a quick diversion to pirates (I'm sure ds is going to love that!), but need some ideas for kid-friendly resources. I'd like to do a notebook/lapbook combo sort of thing for this study. I've found a couple of websites that look interesting, but wanted to "pick your brains" for any favorite pirate resources/books you may have.

TIA! :bigear:

Great timing!

I have long wanted to do a mini unit on pirates. I just decided Sunday to go ahead and plan a week or two this summer reading on pirates.

I bought some scrapbook paper and stickers from the craft store to create our own folder. I'm not sure that I will do anything more craft-wise,as my son doesn't like crafts. But - if you are interested - I know I have seen pirate ship bird houses (ornamental, not very practical) at different craft stores.

Homeschool Share has a lapbook on "Pirate Diary," if you are interested.

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/pirate_diary.php

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. The Pirate Diary resources is actually one of the websites I ran across the other day. It does look interesting. And thanks for the Live and Learn idea. Pre-made is convenient, but not in the budget at the moment. Looks cool tho!

Thanks! That's got some great stuff in it. And I think we already have the audio book. Now I've got to figure out how to combine everything without spending an entire year with the pirates! :laugh: Pick and choose. Pick and choose...

"The Republic of Pirates: Being the True and Surprising Story of the Caribbean Pirates and the Man Who Brought Them Down " by Colin Woodard.

I finished reading this book not too long ago. Fascinating. Absolutely fascinating. It's not a children's book at all, probably more appropriate for high schoolers, but I just loved it. It could be a good resource for you, or just for pleasure reading if you enjoy reading histories, like I do.

Jim Weiss CDs: Treasure Island and The Queen's Pirate

Not EXACTLY about pirates, but they do make an appearance: both the audiobook and the old Disney movie of Swiss Family Robinson.

My kids LOVED the movie "The Crimson Pirate", which is from 1954 or something. They were literally jumping up and the couch laughing hysterically.

We also watched "The Black Pirate" - an old silent movie, which was different (since it was silent!).