Menu

Any foods unique to Indiana?

I pulled out my "Eat Your Way Through the USA" book and they have a recipe for Hot Dog Casserole, Corn Pudding and Indiana Sugar Pie. Under food facts, it says Indiana is the leading grower of popcorn in the country and Van Camps' Pork and Beans was an old family recipe originally sold in Gilbert Van Camps Indianapolis grocery store. It also says you'll never find an ear of corn with an odd number of rows.

This is a great book that I had put aside - thanks for reminding me about it!

Rene

I think just the pork tenderloin sandwich. It is a slice of pork tenderloin that has been deep fried and served on a bun.

Now, Hoosiers also put more sausage in their gravy for biscuits and gravy than they do in Kentucky.

Fried biscuits and apple butter is also a favorite around here.

And I had never heard of chocolate gravy until I moved here. Now, it may be something they have in KY too but only my IN relatives seem to make it. Don't ask me how to make it. I don't know how but it does taste good.

:001_smile:

Zombies live in Indiana?

I think they are calf brains. It is a big deal here in Southern Indiana. Several restaurants have them and they are served at all of the festivals and fairs. Alton Brown did a show from our town because of the brain sandwiches. I've never eaten one but lots of folks here do. Maybe it is a German thing???

I think they are calf brains. It is a big deal here in Southern Indiana. Several restaurants have them and they are served at all of the festivals and fairs. Alton Brown did a show from our town because of the brain sandwiches. I've never eaten one but lots of folks here do. Maybe it is a German thing???

Well, as long as it is not human brains (don't want to get Kuru)

Although I really don't think it is a good idea to eat any animal's brains