Menu

Anyone know of a good cooking curriculum?

Goodness, I am having computer issues! I typed out and when I clicked post server was busy.

I have the Look and Cook Cookbook for Children. It is the only one that comes close. When I was about 12 there was a textbook in school that was very through. Do they not make these anymore? It is not that the kids don't ocassionally cook kid friendly recipes, I think the knowledge of what is in a kitchen, and how it is used is lacking. I really wish I could find a simple curriculum somewhere.

Better Homes and Gardens "New Cook Book" - mine has a red plaid cover and is 3 ring bound to lie flat. Excellent basic cookbook. I've had mine since high school. My grandmother taught me to make cookies and coffeecake and roast chx with hers!

I think the Joy of Cooking is way beyond introductory material. Though I have it and love it esp as a reference tool.

Check out your local library for basic cookbooks?

The first four units of CLE's Home Ec curriculum are excellent. They explain every tool and every skill, and they integrate making recipes throughout the lessons. It sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

Your local 4-H (State extension office) will probably have good resources. We have several beginning cooking project books from 4-H that are helpful.

I am going to use the Fannie Farmer Junior cookbook for my girls next year as it does clearly define all the terms, utensils, cookware etc and has some basic, doable recipes for them to practice.

And relating to Fannie Farmer, HERE is a book my own kids have enjoyed. I originally bought it for their dad, who needed a basic primer :D.