Menu

Secular home ec for boys??

Audrey

Does anyone know if there is any secular home ec books/curricula out there. I'd be especially grateful if anyone could offer something for boys.

My ds did cooking with 4 other boys for 4-H. They all had a blast. Ds now wants to learn more and do more. I would like to have a curriculum or program, so that we can count it as a school subject.

If there isn't such a thing, I'll just teach him on my own. I was just hoping someone might know of something. Please?

Honestly I would just stick with the different 4-H projects. They are secular, easy to accomplish but well researched with some really good ideas and fun experiences.

Also, once a month. My family picks a recipe from a cook book and we dissect the recipe.

1) Origin

2) Taste

3) ingredients, any changes that want to be made and what we could replace,etc

4) then cook ,sample and mostly enjoy ;)

If you want him to explore cooking more, perhaps get a herb and spice encyclopedia? That could send you off into history too. I can't say I've ever seen a modern recipe calling for "grains of paradise." Before you get too excited, though, it's just a type of pepper. :(

;)

Rosie

What exactly are you looking for? Just cooking? Or household management? First aid? Budgeting? Crafts?

I noticed in old cookbooks as well as old Childcraft books and even the Popular Book of Science or whatever it's called, has stuff about taking care of (inc feeding) and entertaining invalids.

The American Boys' Handy book has stuff on simple building / crafts and other things. If you can find Boy Scout handbooks, they also have things like basic survival skills that I'd imagine are good to know.

Not a curricula, but something my boys are doing that is home ec related -- my oldest son recently read The Omnivore's Dilemma for Kids: The Secrets Behind What You Eat by Michael Pollan and LOVED it. He couldn't get through a page without reading something aloud to me! It really inspired him to investigate everything in our kitchen/pantry and at the grocery store. I actually had to tell him to stop reading me labels at the grocery store last time we went. ("I'm not buying that! You don't have to read it to me!") I highly recommend it as a starting point. It opened up a lot of avenues to discuss home ec issues.

I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant and have no energy for the vegetable garden this year, so I let my two oldest take it over. This involved reading gardening books, looking through seed catalogs and picking out what they wanted to grow along with doing everything to get the garden ready for planting. They planted the first batch of seeds yesterday.

At the end of the season, depending on their success (lol!), we'll be able to cover more cooking and food preservation, including jam & jelly making.

I have taught both boys and girls to sew with 4-H curricular materials. There are books which can be purchased but you can find some terrific activities for sewing, etc. via Google. In particular, Utah Extension has a number of booklets and activities available for downloading. Check out the resource file here.

http://www.marmeedear.com sells a book called The Young Man's Handybook: Preparing Your Son on the Homefront. It has chapters on cooking, manners, first aid and safety, helping around the home(cleaning and maintenence), working with wood, gardening, outdoor adventure, and managing money. It is a good overall, generalized book on these subjects. There may be sources that cover some of these better, but it is nice to have it all in one place. It could certainly be a year's curriculum. I'm not sure if it is in depth enough for your ds on the cooking. If you have specific questions you can im me, as I have a copy. Also, I saw one for sale on homeschoolclassifieds.

Woolybear

I tried correcting it last night but I kept getting "server busy" message.

It's Connections Academy that has this class for kids. I found it under the 5th grade curriculum electives. I'm not sure how else you can access it. It is secular. I don't know if you wanted religious.

Nan