Menu

MCTLA convention update

I had the chance to look through all six levels of MCTLA.

I think there is a big difference between the Island, Town and Voyage levels and the WWW/Magic Lens levels.

I think the program is difficult for older students to begin, mostly because they don't want to move down to levels viewed as elementary. I think WWW1 and AAW are the most difficult books in all 6 levels. I don't recommend mixing the WWW and Magic Lens series with pieces and parts from the lower levels. Now that I have looked through all of the books, I would have to say that even if a student is capable of doing the higher level vocab and 4 level analyses but not the writing portion than that student should bump down to a lower level. The vocab in CE1 and CE2 and the grammar in GT and GV are rich and challenging enough that an advanced student will learn something valuable and will not miss out on anything by using those books.

The difference between CE2 and WWW1 blew me away. In CE2 the student is working with 6-10 stems or vocab words each week with more definition and review. WWW is 25 stems a week with vocab being introduced in week 21. The final cumulative test in CE2 can only be compared with (maybe; I say maybe because CE2 is testing over vocab and WWW won't do that until much later) the week 6 quiz in WWW. An advanced 6th or 7th grader will probably work through CE2 at a faster pace than younger students but it would be well worth the effort to do so before entering WWW1.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

Re: Suppose the Wolf were an Octupus series.

I would not use these books as a stand alone Lit. Analysis program. They are, however, great resources in getting students to discuss literature. Many students read a book and put it down as soon as they are finished. By using STWwO students will learn there is more to literature than reading the story. The questions in STWwO will have readers thinking about the story and the author's intentions as well as help developing critical thinking skills.

For example: suppose the wolf in Little Red Riding Hood were an Octopus. Could the story have taken place in the woods? Would Little Red have been rescued by the woodcutter or a Navy Seal? Do they make red colored wetsuits? Would Grandma live in one of those underwater houses? How would Red carry goodies to Grandma? What types of goodies would an octopus enjoy? (These are my questions stemming off of the original.)

One of the best parts of STWwO series is the list of books in the back of each guide. Many of the stories have been rewritten over the years and have been 'dumbed down'. MCT has included the title, author, publisher and publishing dates of the best versions of many of the stories. With this information it would be easy to go to the library and find these versions.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

The science series offered by RFWP:

-great to use as unit studies, not as a stand alone science program

-I thought they were a little pricey(I did not get the chance to use the DVD, though)

-there are wonderful hands on activities to use for each of the books

-my favorites were the Digestive System (demos on diarreah and constipation!!) and Electricity books

-these would make great resources for 4H programs and small interest groups

-very engaging

Gave me problems

I started with Level 6 and was stumped by page 3. I am not a mathy person, though, and did not consider cubing, squaring and finding the square root of a number to be common mathematical concepts (I stuck with +, -, / and X.

I did work through some of the problems in each level I had (4, 5, & 6)and I think they would be useful for days where getting out the math books wasn't on the schedule but the desire to play around with numbers and math concepts was there.

Problemoids would be great fun for the older, math minded student or those gifted in math.

I think WWW1 and AAW are the most difficult books in all 6 levels.

Can you clarify this? Do you mean that WWW1 and AAW1 are more difficult than even WWW2/AAW2, or do you mean they're just a really big jump from the lower level books? Or that the WWW & AAW series are more difficult than the other components?

I have most of the books in the Island/Town/Voyage levels, plus WWW1, but I'm very curious about the upper level writing, so I'd love to hear your impressions of the two AAW books.

Jackie

I don't recommend mixing the WWW and Magic Lens series with pieces and parts from the lower levels. Now that I have looked through all of the books, I would have to say that even if a student is capable of doing the higher level vocab and 4 level analyses but not the writing portion than that student should bump down to a lower level. .

But aren't you doing just that?

I asked a question on the MCT Yahoo group about this, but no one answered me. We've just finished Paragraph Town and CEI, and will go through Building Poems before moving on to Voyage.

But the grammar... my kids are ready for way more. I knew this going in, but I wanted to stick all on one level. They love the 4-level analysis, but they are itching for more complicated sentences and material. I was just going to move them up to Voyage, but I'm not seeing that it adds all that much to Town - in the grammar area, I mean - the rest of Voyage is going to be nice and challenging for them.

I've been considering skipping Grammar Voyage (well, we just read through it, and they kept saying "we know this already!", so technically I wouldn't be skipping it entirely :tongue_smilie:) and moving them up to Magic Lens grammar. Just grammar - I'm not ready for WWW!

What is the big difference between Voyage grammar and ML grammar? They could actually use much more challenge. They are learning two foreign languages fairly intensively, and after that, English grammar really is a cakewalk. (My dd apparently was doing 4-level analysis on her sentences in German class the other day, just for fun).

You are doing ML with the lower level writing - is this really such a bad idea?? We'd probably be doing the rest of Voyage in the fall - I'm going to spend the spring doing Jamestown Short Stories (lit analysis and writing) and a Poetry unit (with MCT).

Can you clarify this? Do you mean that WWW1 and AAW1 are more difficult than even WWW2/AAW2, or do you mean they're just a really big jump from the lower level books? Or that the WWW & AAW series are more difficult than the other components?

I have most of the books in the Island/Town/Voyage levels, plus WWW1, but I'm very curious about the upper level writing, so I'd love to hear your impressions of the two AAW books.

Jackie

Let me sort through my thoughts on these and I will get back to you.

But the grammar... my kids are ready for way more. I knew this going in, but I wanted to stick all on one level. They love the 4-level analysis, but they are itching for more complicated sentences and material. I was just going to move them up to Voyage, but I'm not seeing that it adds all that much to Town - in the grammar area, I mean - the rest of Voyage is going to be nice and challenging for them.

I've been considering skipping Grammar Voyage (well, we just read through it, and they kept saying "we know this already!", so technically I wouldn't be skipping it entirely :tongue_smilie:) and moving them up to Magic Lens grammar. Just grammar - I'm not ready for WWW!

What is the big difference between Voyage grammar and ML grammar? They could actually use much more challenge. They are learning two foreign languages fairly intensively, and after that, English grammar really is a cakewalk. (My dd apparently was doing 4-level analysis on her sentences in German class the other day, just for fun).

You are doing ML with the lower level writing - is this really such a bad idea?? We'd probably be doing the rest of Voyage in the fall - I'm going to spend the spring doing Jamestown Short Stories (lit analysis and writing) and a Poetry unit (with MCT).

I am working on writing a coherent answer to this.

Ok, so is this what you would suggest starting with?

Sentence Island Student

Sentence Island Teacher

Practice Island Student

Practice Island Teacher

Grammar Island Student

Grammar Island Teacher

I'd recommend the Basic Homeschool Package - which is just the TMs for everything (Grammar/Writing/Vocab/Poetry) except the Practice book where you get TM/SM (it's the only consumable). The general method for the other books is to sit on the couch with the book on your lap and read. Sometimes a white board comes in handy. :) I've been happily using one TM for my twins.

You start with the Grammar book. Then when you finish, you start the writing (Sentence Island) and the Practice book. I highly recommend getting the Poetry book too (included in the Basic package). The Vocab book (Building Language) is good, too - though perhaps not quite as impressive as the rest of the bunch. When you get there, Caesars English (Town and Voyage level Vocab) is not to be missed, though.

Come on, Mariann, ask me a question. What do you want to know?

There is so much going on in my little brain that I am afraid it will explode if I don't relieve some of the pressure.

19388-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Furious-Yellow-Smiley-Face-With-Flushed-Cheeks-Blowing-Smoke-Out-Of-The-Ears-And-Screaming.jpg:w00t: Ok, then! I just walked in the door, sat down, and you have this HUGE information dump going on here.

This is what I want to know: Does this go better with your decor than the DUCK TROPHY? duckhunt-trophy.jpg B/C I'm sure if you like the plaque better, then we can work something out. :lol:

AHEM......my serious questions: smiley973.gifWell, you answered my Wolf/Octopus questions. Do you know anything about the Literary Analysis that RFWP is putting out in May?

DD11 (she turned 11 on Sunday) is breezing through Practice Town - we had done Grammar Voyage, but Essay Voyage was TOO difficult for her so we bumped down to CEI, Paragraph Town, and Pract Town and we are doing well. I anticipate staying on schedule now and after Town going to Voyage and not starting WWW/ML until she is in 7th grade probably. If she goes to Priv School for 7th grade, the school we are looking at uses MCT WWW/ML so then she would get that in 7th grade.

The Problemoids, well, I had tried some of those and this is what happened:336845742v1_225x225_Front.jpgWon't be trying any of those for awhile.

I have to go back and read your other posts and see what else you reviewed -- oh, yes: Science -- Dr. Dave is great for a Lab Supplement (my kids cannot wait to make slime).

POETRY: KEEPERS OF THE FLAME - Did you get a chance to read through this? I think it is a great book, and I am going to use it in the summer and in the fall.

TACKLE THURSDAYS: Going to use this in the summer and in the fall.

Interested in your feedback on T.T. as well.

I'm hoping that RFWP will be at the Northern Virginia Homeschool Expo in July -- I have mentioned it to Rachel.

This is quite confusing I must admit.

I also cannot find samples of the teacher manuals, only of the student books, and that really doesn't paint the picture for me at all.

My boys will be 5th and 7th grade next year (well, 7th grader is more at a 6th grade level), should I really be starting with these basics? I think we have covered all of this. I hate to spend the $$ and find out we whiz through it in a month or two.

Dawn

I'd recommend the Basic Homeschool Package - which is just the TMs for everything (Grammar/Writing/Vocab/Poetry) except the Practice book where you get TM/SM (it's the only consumable). The general method for the other books is to sit on the couch with the book on your lap and read. Sometimes a white board comes in handy. :) I've been happily using one TM for my twins.

You start with the Grammar book. Then when you finish, you start the writing (Sentence Island) and the Practice book. I highly recommend getting the Poetry book too (included in the Basic package). The Vocab book (Building Language) is good, too - though perhaps not quite as impressive as the rest of the bunch. When you get there, Caesars English (Town and Voyage level Vocab) is not to be missed, though.

Edited by DawnM

:iagree:Get the Basic Package. I bought way too much b/c in the beginning the twins wouldn't share, and anyway, I like to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$. But, we are now sharing, and sharing quite happily, I might add. Someone already mentioned that the Practice Island book is a MUST and it is. For lack of a better way to say it, Practice Island is the stage where your child will practice and perform what he/she has learned. (I couldn't think of a better word than 'perform' or I would have used it -- my twins 'show off' in Practice Island.)

POETRY: KEEPERS OF THE FLAME - Did you get a chance to read through this? I think it is a great book, and I am going to use it in the summer and in the fall.

What, you haven't parsed this for us yet, Mariann? ;) Mine is sitting here on the floor next to me and taunting me, and I'd been hoping you'd been busily reading through it so you could tell me what to do with it. :D

Mariann: Love your pictures:lol::lol:

Okay, Dragon. I was going to ask the same question about the Literary Analysis book. Any info on that?

And did you get a chance to see the Truth Series(History)??

And I am glad that I started my upcoming 6th grader in the Town Level after reading your thread. I think this will give her a great foundation for Voyage.

I want my turn on the Hummer please:auto:

This is quite confusing I must admit.

I also cannot find samples of the teacher manuals, only of the student books, and that really doesn't paint the picture for me at all.

Dawn

We have ALL been THERE. ;) It's okay, guys, I'll take this one. The TM and the Student Books are virtually identical EXCEPT the TMs have an APPENDIX at the end that is pages and pages of amazing material that will help you better understand how to teach the material to your child. Additionally, in the APPENDIX of some of the TMs, there are supplemental exercises for your child to do. FOR EXAMPLE: I am using Paragraph Town with my DD11 -- I have photocopied the APPENDIX from the TM of PT, three hole punched the pages, and have put them in a Language Arts binder for her. Each ParaTown Lesson has a group of pages from the APPENDIX with a writing lesson (or something related to writing) that she completes after we have read the Chapter together.

In Grammar Island, there were some pre-tests and post-tests about the Eight kind of words, the parts of the sentence, etc.

I cannot stress enough to you that once the books are in your hands, and you have read through them (prior to teaching), it will all make perfect sense. We joke around alot about it here (some of us do.......others are unbelievably serious and morose about it - :lol:) but I am not going out on a limb by saying that the methodology (sitting with your child and reading) and the vehicle (the amazingly gorgeous books) are almost intuitive to a child. I would not have believed it if I had not seen it happen here in our house with my own eyes.

I had gone through (in a 4 month period) the following LA curric with my twins: R&S, JAG, LLATL, SHURLEY, and in sheer desperation, I was reading an MCT thread and I had no idea what MCT was - I googled, visited the website, did a search on these forums and read for what seemed like hours. Then, I placed my order. I sat and read through everything when it arrived, and was almost afraid to begin using it. It seemed TOO simple to work. After the first day, I was amazed. THIS was homeschooling the way I wanted to homeschool. I'm a former classroom teacher with 15+ (no cracks about my age, D.A.) years experience, and FINALLY, I was teaching the way I had always wanted.

Feel free to ask anything you'd like to know. :)

Edited by MariannNOVA

The teacher manuals are exactly like the student books, except that there are sometimes Socractic questions for the teacher to discuss with the kids in a little font or little gray circles on some pages. No answers, just questions. Then the Teacher materials are at the back of the book.

My boys will be 5th and 7th grade next year (well, 7th grader is more at a 6th grade level), should I really be starting with these basics? I think we have covered all of this. I hate to spend the $$ and find out we whiz through it in a month or two.

Ah - When you said their grades before, you gave this year's, which was 4th/5thish - if you're thinking for the fall and 5th/6thish, you might be okay going with Town. I started my 6th graders in Town this year. My 4th grader is doing Island. The writing portion is the toughest part of the series imho - the Town level is all about writing a well-constructed paragraph, and also connecting thoughts/ideas through multiple paragraphs.

What, you haven't parsed this for us yet, Mariann? ;) Mine is sitting here on the floor next to me and taunting me, and I'd been hoping you'd been busily reading through it so you could tell me what to do with it. :D

I will - I promise! I just have to solve the puzzle of: What are we doing for History for our next school year? And, I think I have solved it.....and then, on to the FLAME......flamethrower.gif.

The teacher manuals are exactly like the student books, except that there are sometimes Socractic questions for the teacher to discuss with the kids in a little font or little gray circles on some pages. No answers, just questions. Then the Teacher materials are at the back of the book.

Ah - When you said their grades before, you gave this year's, which was 4th/5thish - if you're thinking for the fall and 5th/6thish, you might be okay going with Town. I started my 6th graders in Town this year. My 4th grader is doing Island. The writing portion is the toughest part of the series imho - the Town level is all about writing a well-constructed paragraph, and also connecting thoughts/ideas through multiple paragraphs.

Definitely for 5th and 6th, I think TOWN is the place to start. You will not whiz through TOWN in a month or two -- I am doing it now with fifth grade dd and she has had three intense years of IEW in private school, and we are not whizzing. One reason is that she LOVES doing it and she literally savors every moment of it. She said she loves how MCT lets her use her own thoughts and understand why she is going in a particular direction. She liked IEW, but it was more of a 'formula' or 'model' and much of the time she didn't know 'why' she was doing something -- she was doing it b/c she was 'supposed' to.

TACKLE THURSDAYS: Going to use this in the summer and in the fall.

Interested in your feedback on T.T. as well.

I did not get to see either of these; RFWP didn't send copies of them to the convention. I was hoping to see Tackle Thursdays myself.

Mariann: Love your pictures:lol::lol:

Okay, Dragon. I was going to ask the same question about the Literary Analysis book. Any info on that?

And did you get a chance to see the Truth Series(History)??

And I am glad that I started my upcoming 6th grader in the Town Level after reading your thread. I think this will give her a great foundation for Voyage.

I want my turn on the Hummer please:auto:

Ummmm......... Dragon? dancer 67 wants her turn on the Hummer.hummer-gas-prices.jpg.w300h300.jpgWhen you are finished doing this, would you please let her have her turn. And, yes, I know that the 'full tank rule' is a pain.;)

What, you haven't been sucked down the K12 Human Odyssey hole with the rest of us? :D We've just started, but I'm loving it!:001_wub:

smiley-jester-thumb1713391.jpg I'm all EARS :bigear: - Pls tell me more. I need Middle Ages for Grade 4 (Twins) and for dd Grade 6, I need, I don't know, Early Modern? I need whatever comes after Middle Ages b/c she is just finishing that up now in 5th grade. HELP! Seriously, you have to help quickly, b/c I am going to do TOG (which I happen to like) and just use it for History if I don't find something else.

I did not get to see either of these; RFWP didn't send copies of them to the convention. I was hoping to see Tackle Thursdays myself.[/quote

]loretta_lux_girl_with_crossed_arms_.jpgCRIPES! OK -- I can parse Tackle Thursdays and Keepers of the Flame -- but you will all have to wait -- I have to drive to NJ tomorrow, probably, for a condolence call. I am not sure if the funeral is Thursday or Friday - it's all messed up with this being Holy Week and all. And, DH is away on travel till Friday, so cut me some slack, and I will get those two books done. Oh, and if ANYONE is interested, I still have NO SINK, NO COUNTERTOPS, NO DISHWASHER, NO STOVE. The appliances were supposed to come yesterday, BUT, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The stove hasn't come through Customs yet and everything will be delivered together -- so, my advice is BUY AMERICAN!

I'm all EARS :bigear: - Pls tell me more. I need Middle Ages for Grade 4 (Twins) and for dd Grade 6, I need, I don't know, Early Modern? I need whatever comes after Middle Ages b/c she is just finishing that up now in 5th grade.

Hmmm - I'm doing the Ancients with my kids (also 6th and 4th). I read the book aloud, and then assign lots o' extra reading for them to do on their own. For my 6th graders I'm using the Oxford series alongside - we're doing the World in Ancient Times, which is the first series, but they have a second series is the Medieval and Early Modern World.

The second K12 volume (Our Modern World) goes from 1400 to 1914, so pretty much starts with the Renaissance. If you've just finished Medieval, it could be a good place to start.

Have to share something one of my dds said after the first few chapters of HO - "Mom, is this a textbook?" - "Yes" - "I thought they were supposed to be boring - this is so interesting!"

ETA - I recently splurged on the Student and Teacher guides to go with this. They have mapwork, comprehension questions, short essay assignments and lots of other activities aimed at the middle school age. I'm using that with my older two, and the younger I'm giving Knowledge Quest maps.

Edited by matroyshka

Hmmm - I'm doing the Ancients with my kids (also 6th and 4th). I read the book aloud, and then assign lots o' extra reading for them to do on their own. For my 6th graders I'm using the Oxford series alongside - we're doing the World in Ancient Times, which is the first series, but they have a second series is the Medieval and Early Modern World.

The second K12 volume (Our Modern World) goes from 1400 to 1914, so pretty much starts with the Renaissance. If you've just finished Medieval, it could be a good place to start.

Have to share something one of my dds said after the first few chapters of HO - "Mom, is this a textbook?" - "Yes" - "I thought they were supposed to be boring - this is so interesting!"

ETA - I recently splurged on the Student and Teacher guides to go with this. They have mapwork, comprehension questions, short essay assignments and lots of other activities aimed at the middle school age. I'm using that with my older two, and the younger I'm giving Knowledge Quest maps.

ngbbs4b1ad31ade06d.jpg

I'll be right there~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Totally OT but Matroyshka - I have now filed a claim with Half.com. I still haven't received Human Odyssey vol 1 and it's now been 4weeks. AND the seller hasn't answered not a single email. I'm going to go ahead and order it from K12 and if by some miracle, the other show up, I"ll re-sell it. I've heard it can take months to have a claim resolved w/ Half.com so that's $50 down the drain, at least for now.

Totally OT but Matroyshka - I have now filed a claim with Half.com. I still haven't received Human Odyssey vol 1 and it's now been 4weeks. AND the seller hasn't answered not a single email. I'm going to go ahead and order it from K12 and if by some miracle, the other show up, I"ll re-sell it. I've heard it can take months to have a claim resolved w/ Half.com so that's $50 down the drain, at least for now.

I've actually been following the HO threads and I've been following the difficulty you've had with half.com. I'm so sorry that this happened.

That is soooo frustrating!! :grouphug: I'd be :banghead: and :cursing:

so I haven't ever looked at any other RWFP stuff, but I was just looking over Keepers of the Flame and it looks so thorough! Wow. I'm thinking about getting it for me to go through :D since I won't have a kid needing it for another 2 or 3 years.....would it be good for an adult to use or would it feel too basic or lame? LOL

What's the best literature recommendation to go along with the Town level? I'm getting the Town basic package (including the poetry), but would like something for other literature to go along with it. We've been using the k12 4th grade literature this year and enjoyed it.

so I haven't ever looked at any other RWFP stuff, but I was just looking over Keepers of the Flame and it looks so thorough! Wow. I'm thinking about getting it for me to go through :D since I won't have a kid needing it for another 2 or 3 years.....would it be good for an adult to use or would it feel too basic or lame? LOL

You will LOVE it! I have it here and I am going to parse it for the other MCT people on this board - it just may not be till next week as i have ot go out of town for a funeral.

If you can wait, I will be posting here.